Learning to Fly
    Mar 2008

New question here. What to ride in Nevada City?

I grew up in Nevada City but I didn't ride a whole lot then.

I am visiting home for a week with my Nomad in tow and I know there have to be good fun trails close. I'm more the climb for fun down's type.

Yes, I know Pioneer, and I know Downieville is only an hour away.

Hook a PNW brother up?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Round mountain trail is fun, but probably covered with poison oak now. You can also do south yuba trail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Nevada city is way to close to great riding not to drive a bit. With a Nomad You may like Hole in the ground. Near Donner summit.

mtbr member
    Yeah, it's not really Nomad country, even though there is plenty of new trail. Wish I could at least recommend the Pioneer switchbacks down into Bear Valley (probably new since your day) but they are bad summer loose and horse plowed right now. Do you know Grouse? If you can shuttle or don't mind riding up Bowman Lake Rd. and the dirt road out to Blue Lake from Lang Crossing, you can ride out the Blue Lake Trail and drop down to Grouse/Spaulding Lake Trail and back down via Upper Upper Upper Pioneer. That'd be Nomad-worthy for sure.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
    Yeah, it's not really Nomad country, even though there is plenty of new trail. Wish I could at least recommend the Pioneer switchbacks down into Bear Valley (probably new since your day) but they are bad summer loose and horse plowed right now. Do you know Grouse? If you can shuttle or don't mind riding up Bowman Lake Rd. and the dirt road out to Blue Lake from Lang Crossing, you can ride out the Blue Lake Trail and drop down to Grouse/Spaulding Lake Trail and back down via Upper Upper Upper Pioneer. That'd be Nomad-worthy for sure.
    Plus one! Be prepared for some dismounts. Some downed trees and very CHUNKY.

mtbr member
    South Yuba! Prolly not the best Nomad ride, though.

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    Yeah, try Grouse, it's worth it. Don't know what part of town you grew up in, but there are so many trails around the NC/GV area, that you really can have fun all day long.

But sure is way different than up here in the PNW, no roots, and sooo dry!
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

Learning to Fly
    Mar 2008
    Thanks All.

I'm up on Banner. I keep thinking there must be something running off the NID ditch and I'm pretty sure I've seen a trail that was cut in next to Gracie but looks as if it's been left for the forest to re-claim.

I have a hard time believing that Pioneer is the best fast lap around but maybe it is. I was also pointed to Round mountain from Tour Nevada City when I asked them a while back. Haven't ridden it yet however and good to know it's probably oaked out this time of year.

I only mentioned the Nomad because I think it helps people understand what you like to ride. Not trying to dick wave in the slightest.

Thanks again for all the help so far. Please do keep it coming or PM with further ideas. Much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    For better or worse, Nevada City features a lot of local knowledge riding, with informal trails making up a good percentage of local riding opportunities.

Your best bet is to hook up with some local riders. If you want to ride some stellar high country stuff, I'll be hitting Truckee riding this weekend. PM if you want to join us.

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    Banner! Yeah, been there so many times. My ex-GF grew up on Banner right near Gracie in fact. Miss bombing down Gracie at ungodly speeds to town.

Round Mountain is fun, but hot this time of the year. And of course more 'oak than one could ever want to deal with, so our solution after coming down Rd. Mtn was to jump in the river and scrub clean.

When we lived on Willow Valley I would choose between riding up to five mile house or going to Edwards Crossing, which during the summer we would the do the latter one at night. The trail network is large, I remember Jeff Maxey and me riding the ones near NU, and some hellishly fun drop offs to do.

I'm curious about these new Scotts Flat trails as well, might be worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by PeachesN'Cream View Post
    Thanks All.

I'm up on Banner. I keep thinking there must be something running off the NID ditch and I'm pretty sure I've seen a trail that was cut in next to Gracie but looks as if it's been left for the forest to re-claim.

I have a hard time believing that Pioneer is the best fast lap around but maybe it is. I was also pointed to Round mountain from Tour Nevada City when I asked them a while back. Haven't ridden it yet however and good to know it's probably oaked out this time of year.

I only mentioned the Nomad because I think it helps people understand what you like to ride. Not trying to dick wave in the slightest.

Thanks again for all the help so far. Please do keep it coming or PM with further ideas. Much appreciated.
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PeachesN'Cream View Post
    Thanks All.

I live up Banner on Valley View, near the Cascade Canal Trailhead at Gracie....There is some riding off the main canal trail....but not much. The Orene Wetherall trail is at about the 1 mile mark and is now a loop. It is basically a 1/2 mile down then 1/2 mile climb back up with alot of switchbacks. At the 2.5 mile mark after the second pipe bridge on the main canal you can climb up toward upper Red Dog Road and find several trails that bomb back down to the canal trail...again, they are not very long but, can be kinda fun for an afternoon of riding. Empire Mine has some trails that are on the farthest Southeast side of the park that are fun to maneuver in... Tight twisty trails that you can loop as many times as you like...

Learning to Fly
    Mar 2008
    Too funny Mike, I'm just down the road on Winding Way, well my Moms place at least.

Good to know about the Cascade Canal trails... I've always wondered and took note of that new trail last time I was in town. And I remember going out to the Mine to ride years back but probably didn't find the good trails.