Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The skills that enables me to keep up with Leopold on one of his "normal rides" Sierra Azul and Quicksilver.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    the way the past couple of weeks have gone, i'm just hoping to get on the bike at all.

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005

Good job! Front Wheel Pivot Hop or Drop

Hey Folks,

This is my latest "rider improvement project"

Have fun however you get dirty,

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by cohenfive View Post
    the way the past couple of weeks have gone, i'm just hoping to get on the bike at all.
    Do not be alarmed by the last few weeks. One needs to aim high.

Remember that the some of the most passionate riders in the world cannot ride for more that 3 months.

fc

orthonormal
    I'm hoping to do more riding with others this year. Lots of solo miles for me in 2012. I also want to get out more to ride other places.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

Inspector Gadget
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cobb View Post
    More riding with my boys, and working on their skills, they are the future. Attachment 749879
    Me too! Your boy is a stud, he really impressed me on the rock skinny.

I don't really have any goals skill wise for myself. I just want to ride more, more places and keep learning, I'm leaps and bounds ahead of where I was last Feb. I plan to get my family out together even more this year. My wife rides and enjoys it. I just ordered parts to girly up my daughters hot rock for her 6th birthday. Hope that helps to get her more excited about riding some real trails. My son loves his new DJ 26er
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What mountain bike skill are you going to work on for 2013?-img_0795a.jpg  

What mountain bike skill are you going to work on for 2013?-img_0879a.jpg  

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by supermachete View Post
    Oh, & to be a bit more social. I've been hiding under a rock (A "Big" one-quite literally) for a bit too long...

Socialization is actually a skill that can be worked on. I like to be alone and ride alone. But a few years ago after my accident I made an effort to ride with people and enjoy my time with them. I try and remember a little something about everyone. And I am a happier person now.

fc

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Ride more often which will improve climbing and endurance. Small but useful tricks like a front wheel pivot for tight spaces. Track stand hopping to change direction.
    Don't harsh my mello

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'd like to translate the track stand from an academic driveway skill, to a something I can reliably execute on the trail in technical riding.

I'd also like to work on being more agressive in the transitions between uphill and downhill to maximize my speed.

mtbr member
    adventure on some new rides in 2013. I love china camp, castle rock, and briones bc i know the trails and they are close to where i live but i am up for something new and exciting! Maybe i'll get lucky and someone will intro me to some new trails this year....

CHOCOLATE NASTIES Baker

Group tech sessions

Sounds like we need to have some group rides where the focus is on skill building (technical sessions, jump redo's, drops and roll off skills). Too often I've gone on rides where just getting back to the car is the main goal and no one learns anything new.

Another option is to resurrect the Urban rides we would do on Wednesdays nights at Stanford. I learned a lot those nights and the skills REALLY translated to the trail (track stands, step ups, bunny hops, roll offs, side hops and drops to flat).

I guess this year my goal will be to get out and ride more than last year. That won't be too hard since I was swamped with the "joys" of home ownership.
    Oh and to finally explore my new hood. Boulder Creek probably has a million gems...I just need to go out and find 'em.
    And last but not least, start building my backyard trail. I can eventually make it all the way to Loch Lomond from my back door...literally!!
    Master of the unintentional track stand.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tsimbu View Post
    Sounds like we need to have some group rides where the focus is on skill building (technical sessions, jump redo's, drops and roll off skills). Too often I've gone on rides where just getting back to the car is the main goal and no one learns anything new.
    This would be a great sequence to have. There are official events like the Dirt Series, but social learning/refreshers would be great. Jumps may be a bit tricky, but most stuff should be doable. I, personally, would love a jump clinic, but places like post office jumps awes and scares me.

As for boulder creek, just roll down 9 and air over CHUM *this message brought to you by the appease ancient rascal's demand for more CHUM jokes committee*

-j

mtbr member
    Cornering. There was that one video about pointing your pecker where you want to go. Plan to do a lot of pecker pointing to see if that helps.

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    I am going to try and not be so awesome. In 2012, I was super awesome all the time especially on my bike and I think it made less awesome people feel stupid. Maybe this year I will still be pretty awesome but just not awesome all the time.
    Awesome post!

Now I just feel stupid.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Group ride at Lake Cunningham skatepark or Ramp Rats!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tsimbu View Post
    And last but not least, start building my backyard trail. I can eventually make it all the way to Loch Lomond from my back door...literally!!
    Lemme know if you need a hand building said trail...what's the elevation loss?
    Peaut butter Tuesday, if you kow what I mea!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by supermachete View Post
    Under the radar.. I have not left the back 40 in a while, & when I do it's usually to somewhere up north. But you a welcome to join us any time!
    Usually don't venture past Pacifiaca, in that direction. Might change soon.
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

Beer Engineer
    Finally being able to get over that gnarly stump on resolution trail at skeggs. You know the one.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Kentucky Shark View Post
    Finally being able to get over that gnarly stump on resolution trail at skeggs. You know the one.
    Oooh, that's a good goal.

That changes every year though. Gets gnnnnarlier.

fc

~~~
    I will complete the 10K Demo ride this year.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cohenfive View Post
    I'm in this boat too but when I do get out I'd like to strengthen my climbing and get at least one long ride (3+ hrs) in once a week.

mtbr member
    I'm in the; get out and get healthy camp. having my wife and dog along with me as much as possable.
    Getting strong enough to keep up, on a few social rides too.

Blargen
    Not as much a fitness goal, but going to work on finishing the freeride trail I started working on last year. Also want to put it a lot of trail work days at demo and SC.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Crossing over to 1x9 drivetrain to build more length strength and endurance for 2013!

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    For those of you looking to work on some specific riding skills, I would highly recommend this book: Mastering Mountain Bike Skills - 2nd Edition: Brian Lopes, Lee McCormack: 9780736083713: Amazon.com: Books.

Lopes is...a bit of a schmuck, but he's also one of the most accomplished riders ever, and his book is much more readable than the average skills book. Besides taking a lesson from an ex-pro, this has probably helped my riding more than anything else. Happy trails!
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast