Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    swag ho Administrator
    Great responses!

I think the first step to enlightenment is admitting ignorance. The second step is curiosity or willingness to learn.

For example, I learned zero about cornering in the last 12 years because I thought I knew everything I needed about cornering.

Another example is I often hear. "I DON'T do drops.". That will usually shut down any possibility of learning. To this I now ask "Why not? Can you do a 6 inch drop? Can you do one foot! Do you know how? Want to learn?"

So I say challenge yourself to learn something new and improve.

Fc
    Last edited by francois; 01-01-2013 at 10:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrpiffle View Post
    Not crashing!
    ^ what he said

mtbr member
    I plan on getting out of my local area to ride and hit some of the must-do's before I get too old.
    Tahoe this summer.
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

ballbuster
    Climbing - I really need to work on my fitness.
    Air - I've never been comfortable in the air. I gotta work on that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Climbing, fitness and endurance is my #1.

Airing with style (flatties, etc). Hitting the pump track at least a few times a month. Ride more BMX. Try my hand at DH racing.

I like what somebody said earlier about airing/hopping over bumpy sections. I just started doing that in the last couple of months and it's amazing how much you can keep flow.

Oh, and produce an independent MTB documentary (passion project).
    Last edited by Dion; 01-02-2013 at 06:30 AM.

padded
    I had a lot of great rides in 2012 despite some chronic injury problems, but it was a really uneven year, so the goal for 2012 is more goodness.
    Skilz: jumps and long manuals. I'd like to get some 1:1 instruction, maybe at Whistler.
    Fitness: getting back to my power-to-weight ratio from 2011.
    Ride at least 2 new destinations, probably Ashland and one other.
    "You are by far the most interesting single-serving friend I have ever met."

Lightly salted
    I would like to do a few travel/ride trips to other states. I would also like to work on long distance endurance and do some 40+ mile rides.

swag ho Administrator
    And as you work on skills, remember the most important lesson of all is to ride with enthusiasm and ride like a kid. Like Malcom...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    PACS- Calabazas looks like the ticket. And it's only 4 miles from our new place. Thanks!

I've been to Demo once. It was lots of fun, but most of the jumps/drops were a little over my comfort zone (XC old guy)!

you may also want to check out pleasanton bike park---i know it's a bit of a drive, but imho, it was far easier for a noob like me (comparing beginner section there to the one at calabazas). calabazas was a lot more convenient location wise (i would ride there from work), but i felt i progressed more at pleasanton.

also, santa clara pal bmx park is a lot of fun, although you have to pay to ride. i've been going there for about 2 months, and have met a lot of mtn bikers there as well.
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Another example is I often hear. "I DON'T do drops.". That will usually shut down any possibility of learning. To this I now ask "Why not? Can you do a 6 inch drop? Can you do one foot! Do you know how? Want to learn?"

So I say challenge yourself to learn something new and improve.

Fc
    I learned to do backflips in 2012 at 48 years old. Started out on an air bag, moved to a foam pit and then to a resi-mat. The goal for 2013 is to take it to dirt.

Francois has it right challenge yourself to learn something new. I used to watch others do drops or gaps and say I was too old to do that or not skilled enough. But I was always working on skills to move up to the next feature. With the right training, you be suprised what you can learn.

And that is a 43lbs Santa Cruz VPfree downhill bike that I am flipping, not a BMX or dirt jump bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What mountain bike skill are you going to work on for 2013?-412533_3537256962307_1473788775_o.jpg  

Take Gravity For A Ride

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Since I'm only riding ss these days, I have to be in shape enough over the winter that I can do the higher elevation rides come summer. Hogan will be out of the picture then, so you guys will be spared year-round Hogan ride reports.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dagenhay View Post
    I learned to do backflips in 2012 at 48 years old.
    NICE!! Ramp up the jawn.

mtbr member
    Got a few trick goals to accomplish on the DJ: 180/360 in/out of a halfpipe or bowl, bunnyhop onto a bench, be able to manual

Definitely do some trail maintenance. I end up focusing so much time on bike advocacy and outreach in the city but never have time to go out and put hours into the local trails.

mtbr member
    I am going to try and not be so awesome. In 2012, I was super awesome all the time especially on my bike and I think it made less awesome people feel stupid. Maybe this year I will still be pretty awesome but just not awesome all the time.
    Peanut butter Tuesday, if you know what I mean!

mtbr member
    Continue to work on my cornering skills and to get back on the Demo for some DH fun...drops, step-ups and gaps.

Cheesiest
    Not really mtb skills, but running and swimming to augment my performance at an Xterra triathlon.
    "Paved roads...just another example of needless government spending"—paraphrased from rhino_adv

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    Got a few trick goals to accomplish on the DJ: 180/360 in/out of a halfpipe or bowl, bunnyhop onto a bench, be able to manual
    Can you 360 tail tap or 360 bunnyhop? Found once I got those down, airing out is MUCH easier because you know how to spin. Also, start your spin early at the lip. I think 180's are harder than 360's because with 180's you have to roll back. Or, get a freecoaster hub and you're home free .

When you say bench, are you talking about the table part or the seat part? What I found made life much easier is to find something cement the same height at a school yard and do that first. When we were kids, the Santa Cruz High school quad stage was the rite of passage (it was higher then). Once we could do that, we were getting onto benches, and then picnic tables.

Good luck!

*I need to desperately get a DJ again!* Throw that one in for a 2013 goal!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cobb View Post
    More riding with my boys, and working on their skills, they are the future.
    +1

although, would be nice if I could climb a bit higher

mtbr member
    Bunny Hops, Drops and high speed cornering. I'd like to be more active riding down technical. I get down most things, but I want to glide down most things instead. Be one with the trail so to speak.
    "Chancho. When you are a man sometimes you wear stretchy pants... Its for fun..."

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Being a good example to my peers here in Marin County by:
    attending important meetings where the future of our kids access is at stake,
    waiting for trails to drain after rain and not causing more erosion,
    attending trail work in January on Tamarancho existing trails, flow trail, and 680 trail

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    -- Get the (literal) cobwebs off my trail bike and actually ride some trails. Even some quick loops at Arastradero, then Waterdog and then Demo and Skeggs once I have some fitness again.

-- Finally learn to manual.

-- Finally get some actual air on the bigger jumps at Calabazas. I was nearly there this fall before the rain started.

-- Ride the beginner xc ride at Sea Otter this year. I've signed up but not rode for the past two years.

HTFU!
    Do the following on the Rigid SS:
    -Improve Endurance to compete/finish not one, but two Solo 24 hr events & some other yet-to-be-determined endurance event.
    -Improve Handling Skills w/new carbon fork
    -Avoid any and all drops over 12" (when possible).
    -Shrink my bike-to weight ratio by 20 more lbs.
    -climb, climb, climb!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    An addendum for 2013:

- encourage wife/friends to get out and fat tire
    - join them and plan rides that cater to their learning (ie, lack of endurance) level and help them build up (including one planning for a tri)
    - just enjoy being outside witnessing others have fun

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'd like to learn how to jump, get backside on a double consistently. I'm not shooing for backflips. I've been looking for a DJ frame, and I work pretty close to Calabazzas, hoping I can make it over there at lunch.

I want get my daughter going on her push bike. It's still a liitle big for her, she is only 18 months old...not sure if this counts as a new skill, for me.

ESE
    viewer discretion advised
    Dec 2005

riding more with friends I miss...

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    cornering? climbing? drops? jumping? racing? endurance riding?

beer drinkin? photographin? Safety ridin?

How are you gonna go about it?

fc
    And getting out of this funk and back into shape.

Beer drinking? I thought that was mandatory.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast