Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What kind of bike/tires are you guys using?

11K views 119 replies 57 participants last post by  Dirt or Die 
#1 · (Edited)
Trek Superfly 100 Pro with Conti X-King 29x2.2 set up tubeless.

Mostly riding in Auburn or XC trails in Sacramento.

#2 ·
Commencal Meta 55- Excavator 2.35 DTC 1ply up front/ WTB wolverine 2.2 folding comp 27tpi rear. both with tubes.
I have been riding and racing these tires around California all year.:thumbsup:

#4 ·
Rear 27.5 wolverine 2.2 / Ardent Tire 27.5x2.25 front . I like to climb on hardpack with
loose sprinkled in on top . I ride on a paved bike path about 2.5 miles then up steep dirt hills and then go fast down the fire road and some cow trails - straightaways leading into off camber turns . The Ardent sticks like glue and is great on front and is ok for the climb because the front end want to come up when I climb. The Ardent corners great and I can lean the bike with confidence and hold my line on turns .I had a Ardent on the rear but it stuck so good I was a gear or 2 slower so I switched to the wolverine 2.2 and it works great on the hardpack uphills.
This setup works great for me but the weather is changing and now .
I need to find some tires that will shed mud so I can keep climbing and long as I can this winter. My plan now is for Ardent front and rear . I also got a new SCHWALBE RACING RALPH 27.5 X 2.25 ready to try out its 585 grams .

#15 ·
I see that lots of folks, including myself, use a lighter/faster rolling tire on the back and more chunky up front for typical norcal trail/AM riding. So, if I were you, I'd save the 2.2's for the rear, and just replace the front with the 2.4. The rear tire sliding out is no biggie, but it's painful to drag a heavy, chunky rear tire uphill. I had a Hans Dampf 2.35 as a rear tire once. Never again. But a Hans Dampf or another similar chunky tire in the front works great - the front tire is where you want all the traction. Perhaps it's nicer to use two chunky tires when it's muddy, but this type of setup works for me for most of the year.

I don't know foresthill, but if it's sandy conditions, the more balooney and lower the psi the better. Tubeless 2.4's would probably be good on both wheels.

#13 ·
Currently very happy with 2.35 Hans Dampf front, 2.2 Trail King rear. Riding in Nevada City, Auburn, Downieville, Tahoe.

I've been less than impressed with Nobby NICs (torn thin sidewalls) and Nevegals (fast wearing, not confident cornering).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

#18 ·
Thanks.

If the x-king will work decently out back I'll just buy a new front and replace the rears as needed and won't have to buy a new one of those for a long time.

I have

3x conti x-king
1x bontrager xr1
1x specialized fast trak
1x geax saguaro

Seems like all better served as rear tires...

#20 ·
FM056 with Conti X-Kings 2.4's or Maxxis Ikons 2.25

Typically ride Auburn, and Annadel
I do a lot of XC racing and don't change my bike setup between rides and races.
Considering getting Mountain King II's 2.4's for my front and keeping X-king 2.4 on the rears. I love running ~20 psi and floating over everything.

#22 ·
SC Tallboy - Maxxis Ardent 2.2 in the front and Maxxis Crossmark 2.2 in the rear. Both used to run tubeless but after a few flats they are running with tubes now. (I feel guilty when all the goo spills out into the forest after a burp/flat so might not got back to tubeless)

I'm a clydesdale and run front and rear at 28-30psi usually.

#25 ·
2012 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp 29 HT.
Front 29" x 2.2 Specialized The Captain Control tubeless @ 20 PSI
Rear 29" x 1.95 Specialized Renegade Control tubeless @ 24 PSI
I'm around 190 mostly ride Lake Natomas /Granite Bay and other local trails around Roseville area.
Really like how the Captain hooks up in the front.
The Renegade in the rear rolls good and works well for climbing.

#29 ·
Seems like OP rides a 29er. I am on a 26 so the mileage may be different. I am currently running a WTB mutano 2.4 up front with a Conti trail king 2.2 rear. The rear will be replaced when my WTB Wolverine 2.2 race comes in the mail. So mutano 2.4 up front wolverine 2.2 in the rear.

I am not racing at this point so the weight savings and minimal rolling resistance improvements weigh less that a fun tire that can be run tubeless. Weights on these are not that bad and I have run a few Wolverine tubeless for many many miles on more than one bike and they perform great.

When replacing my once front, then moved to rear tubeless, then tubed due to air loss Wolverine I toyed over pretty much every other tire mentioned in the thread. In the end I chose to get another wolverine.

For me this tire combo gives great traction up front, a great climbing rear tire that also has a lower rolling resistance and a larger casing that allows for lower psi and a more plush ride.

I chose the race over their tubeless versions based on weight. Sure the sidewalls may weep a bit but performance is what I am after. They wear fairly well for our area and I have enjoyed days at D-Ville just as well as the local race series.

For now WTB has been my best bet. After gathering new tire buying info my thoughts are Conti's have let me down in the past, Maxxis has mixed reviews and Schwalbe's don't have staying power but perform really well.

#55 ·
The rear will be replaced when my WTB Wolverine 2.2 race comes in the mail. So mutano 2.4 up front wolverine 2.2 in the rear.

Weights on these are not that bad and I have run a few Wolverine tubeless for many many miles on more than one bike and they perform great.

When replacing my once front, then moved to rear tubeless. In the end I chose to get another wolverine.

For me this tire combo gives great traction up front, a great climbing rear tire that also has a lower rolling resistance and a larger casing that allows for lower psi and a more plush ride.

For now WTB has been my best bet.
Same tires but reversed placement for me. I had run Mutano's front and back on hardtail several years ago but found somewhat unpredictable up front once they wore some, followed by a nasty front end washout just never felt confident after that. I may have let it go too far as a front tire. My bad.... Having one on the back of my full suspension B6r with a 650 Wolv up front has proven a good setup given the extra cush the 2.4 provides. I wish they made them in 650/27.5 to run on my SS HT.

Seeing alot of the Enduro guys running them now. WTB, are you listening??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.