Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

What kind of bike/tires are you guys using?

Trek Superfly 100 Pro with Conti X-King 29x2.2 set up tubeless.

Mostly riding in Auburn or XC trails in Sacramento.
    Last edited by Alias530; 06-16-2014 at 08:20 PM.

OSM
    mtbr member
    Commencal Meta 55- Excavator 2.35 DTC 1ply up front/ WTB wolverine 2.2 folding comp 27tpi rear. both with tubes.
    I have been riding and racing these tires around California all year.
    Bicycles D'opinion/ COMMENCAL /Principat D'Andorra

I like mtn biking, too
    Pretty happy with these tires/bikes in Santa Cruz mtn redwood duff and late-summer hardpack:

Mojo HD (AM bike) - Hans Dampf front, Bronson rear
    On-One Lurcher (XC hardtail) - Racing Ralph 2.4 front (they don't make them in 2.4 anymore ), Maxxis Ikon rear.
    Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

mtbr member
    Rear 27.5 wolverine 2.2 / Ardent Tire 27.5x2.25 front . I like to climb on hardpack with
    loose sprinkled in on top . I ride on a paved bike path about 2.5 miles then up steep dirt hills and then go fast down the fire road and some cow trails - straightaways leading into off camber turns . The Ardent sticks like glue and is great on front and is ok for the climb because the front end want to come up when I climb. The Ardent corners great and I can lean the bike with confidence and hold my line on turns .I had a Ardent on the rear but it stuck so good I was a gear or 2 slower so I switched to the wolverine 2.2 and it works great on the hardpack uphills.
    This setup works great for me but the weather is changing and now .
    I need to find some tires that will shed mud so I can keep climbing and long as I can this winter. My plan now is for Ardent front and rear . I also got a new SCHWALBE RACING RALPH 27.5 X 2.25 ready to try out its 585 grams .

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Trek Fuel EX8 and just put on WTB Wolverine 26x2.2 front and rear. Kind of an impulse buy last Friday at Performance Bike as they were on sale for $25 each. Have one good ride on them in rocky (granite) terrain and they were awesome.

mtbr member

I am riding a Diamondback Sortie Comp, I just switched to a Wolverine 26x2.3 on the back and a Weiwolf 26x2.4 on the front.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Spec enduro 26, minion dhf 2.5 Exo front, minion dhr2 tr rear 2.35 but when it wears out I think I will try a high roller tr 2.35

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Looks like you guys are using much chunkier tires than me... am I missing out?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Spec stumpjumper carbon, have spec tires on it now that are about worn and will replace with conti mountiain king 2.4 (very small for a 2.4 though).

mtbr member
    2.4 Nobby Nic Evo TLR (26") front and back on a 5" bike...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Do you guys think I should swap my 29x2.2 X-Kings for some 29x2.4 Mountain Kings when these wear out?

I'm a big fan of trails like the Foresthill Divide.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am no tire expert, but recently put the mountain king 2.4 tires on one of my xc bikes. I have always been a fan of conti tires (car and bike), and like these a lot so far...in fact, I bought them for my other bike as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Re: What kind of bike/tires are you guys using?

Currently very happy with 2.35 Hans Dampf front, 2.2 Trail King rear. Riding in Nevada City, Auburn, Downieville, Tahoe.

I've been less than impressed with Nobby NICs (torn thin sidewalls) and Nevegals (fast wearing, not confident cornering).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Specialized Stumpjumper 26". Hans Dampf 2.35 front and rear tubeless.

Mostly Nevada City, Auburn and Downieville with occasional trips to Tahoe.

I like mtn biking, too
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    Do you guys think I should swap my 29x2.2 X-Kings for some 29x2.4 Mountain Kings when these wear out?

I'm a big fan of trails like the Foresthill Divide.
    I see that lots of folks, including myself, use a lighter/faster rolling tire on the back and more chunky up front for typical norcal trail/AM riding. So, if I were you, I'd save the 2.2's for the rear, and just replace the front with the 2.4. The rear tire sliding out is no biggie, but it's painful to drag a heavy, chunky rear tire uphill. I had a Hans Dampf 2.35 as a rear tire once. Never again. But a Hans Dampf or another similar chunky tire in the front works great - the front tire is where you want all the traction. Perhaps it's nicer to use two chunky tires when it's muddy, but this type of setup works for me for most of the year.

I don't know foresthill, but if it's sandy conditions, the more balooney and lower the psi the better. Tubeless 2.4's would probably be good on both wheels.
    -Jake Watson

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by shredchic View Post
    I see that lots of folks, including myself, use a lighter/faster rolling tire on the back and more chunky up front for typical norcal trail/AM riding. So, if I were you, I'd save the 2.2's for the rear, and just replace the front with the 2.4. The rear tire sliding out is no biggie, but it's painful to drag a heavy, chunky rear tire uphill. I had a Hans Dampf 2.35 as a rear tire once. Never again. But a Hans Dampf or another similar chunky tire in the front works great - the front tire is where you want all the traction. Perhaps it's nicer to use two chunky tires when it's muddy, but this type of setup works for me for most of the year.

I don't know foresthill, but if it's sandy conditions, the more balooney and lower the psi the better. Tubeless 2.4's would probably be good on both wheels.
    Foresthill/Auburn are mostly rocky hardpack, smooth hardpack, or loose over hardpack. Haven't ridden much other places so I can't really compare. Not sandy though.

I have a friend who races and said the x-king is more of a front tire. I take everything he says with a grain of sand because his needs are very different from mine. You think it'll be fine for a rear and get a chunkier front? Mountain King II, Ardent, High Roller?

I have 3 of the x-kings that are almost new so hopefully I can use them as rears because the front leaves me wanting more and I don't want to scrap these.

I like mtn biking, too
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    Foresthill/Auburn are mostly rocky hardpack, smooth hardpack, or loose over hardpack. Haven't ridden much other places so I can't really compare. Not sandy though.

I have a friend who races and said the x-king is more of a front tire. I take everything he says with a grain of sand because his needs are very different from mine. You think it'll be fine for a rear and get a chunkier front? Mountain King II, Ardent, High Roller?

I have 3 of the x-kings that are almost new so hopefully I can use them as rears because the front leaves me wanting more and I don't want to scrap these.
    OK, I was trying to think of conditions where the narrower XC rear and chunk up front advice wouldn't be ideal, but looks like for your conditions this would work great. I still think if you are wanting more up front than the x-king 2.2, it should be perfect for the back. Save your money, and when those wear out, then take your friend's advice for a faster rear tire. If he's racing XC he'd be wanting faster-rolling tires all around. But it's fun to have a big and chunky tire up front for non-competitive riding.

As for which brand for the front, maybe someone else can comment. I think it is entirely a matter of personal preference and/or current sale pricing Go with 2.4 or 2.35, (for DH-specific riding, 2.5) look closely at the knobs. Do they look chunky with a gradual progression from center to outer knobs? (i.e. no dead spot?) If so, it will hook up well and instill confidence.
    -Jake Watson

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks.

If the x-king will work decently out back I'll just buy a new front and replace the rears as needed and won't have to buy a new one of those for a long time.

I have

3x conti x-king
    1x bontrager xr1
    1x specialized fast trak
    1x geax saguaro

Seems like all better served as rear tires...

mtbr member
    Trek 8000 w/ZR9000 frame
    Maxxis Crossmark 2.1 in front
    Kenda Nevegal 2.1 on the back.

R

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    FM056 with Conti X-Kings 2.4's or Maxxis Ikons 2.25

Typically ride Auburn, and Annadel
    I do a lot of XC racing and don't change my bike setup between rides and races.
    Considering getting Mountain King II's 2.4's for my front and keeping X-king 2.4 on the rears. I love running ~20 psi and floating over everything.

I like mtn biking, too
    I notice on some Spesh tires the recommended psi range starts at 35, even on tubeless! I too like to run them around 20-25, especially the front tire, so that's a no-go for me.
    -Jake Watson

JHH
    mtbr member
    SC Tallboy - Maxxis Ardent 2.2 in the front and Maxxis Crossmark 2.2 in the rear. Both used to run tubeless but after a few flats they are running with tubes now. (I feel guilty when all the goo spills out into the forest after a burp/flat so might not got back to tubeless)

I'm a clydesdale and run front and rear at 28-30psi usually.
    Keep pedaling no matter what

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JHH View Post
    SC Tallboy - Maxxis Ardent 2.2 in the front and Maxxis Crossmark 2.2 in the rear. Both used to run tubeless but after a few flats they are running with tubes now. (I feel guilty when all the goo spills out into the forest after a burp/flat so might not got back to tubeless)

I'm a clydesdale and run front and rear at 28-30psi usually.
    What kind of fluid are you using?

I'm using Stan's and have ridden over a dozen blackberry bush branches in a row and never gotten a flat. I see dark spots on the tire where sealant has leaked and filled a hole but that's it.

mtbr member
    Typically ride my mountain bike with rubber tyres ;-)

Crash Dummy In Training
    2012 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp 29 HT.
    Front 29" x 2.2 Specialized The Captain Control tubeless @ 20 PSI
    Rear 29" x 1.95 Specialized Renegade Control tubeless @ 24 PSI
    I'm around 190 mostly ride Lake Natomas /Granite Bay and other local trails around Roseville area.
    Really like how the Captain hooks up in the front.
    The Renegade in the rear rolls good and works well for climbing.
    ​​
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T.
    1997 Rock Hopper / Manitou TI Bulge Fork / Shimano STX-3 x 7 P.O.S.​

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast