Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    i was also looking for recommendations for a grippy tire. i don't mind if it's heavy, or it has high rolling resistance, but just want good grip (esp in loose conditions like braille currently). since i'm a hack, i don't mind a bit of overkill--and i'd like the same tire front and rear. a summary of the characteristics:

-lots of grip in all kinds of conditions
    -round profile, such that it grips as you lean it over
    -high weight, rolling resistance not an issue

i was looking at the minion DHF 2.5" for front and rear. my past history has been:

-kenda excavator 2.35---was ok, much less rolling resistance than the nevegal
    -kenda nevegal 2.35 stick-E---i like this thus far, but was wanting to try something new. it sticks very well, and i'm ok w/ the high rolling resistance and weight.

after reading the thread, i might give the hans dampf a try. most of my riding is corral-->braille in SDF, with about 20% of time in annadel or t-rancho.

thanks in advance.
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Why do you want the same tire front and rear? They serve different purposes and tires that make good fronts aren't necessarily good rears. Different widths and compounds suit front or rear better. For example, harder compounds are better suited for the rear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dth656 View Post
    i was also looking for recommendations for a grippy tire. i don't mind if it's heavy, or it has high rolling resistance, but just want good grip (esp in loose conditions like braille currently). since i'm a hack, i don't mind a bit of overkill--and i'd like the same tire front and rear. a summary of the characteristics:

-lots of grip in all kinds of conditions
    -round profile, such that it grips as you lean it over
    -high weight, rolling resistance not an issue

i was looking at the minion DHF 2.5" for front and rear. my past history has been:

-kenda excavator 2.35---was ok, much less rolling resistance than the nevegal
    -kenda nevegal 2.35 stick-E---i like this thus far, but was wanting to try something new. it sticks very well, and i'm ok w/ the high rolling resistance and weight.

after reading the thread, i might give the hans dampf a try. most of my riding is corral-->braille in SDF, with about 20% of time in annadel or t-rancho.

thanks in advance.
    Sounds like the Never-rolls are perfect for you! Minion / High Rollers would probably be good as well, but they are more square-ish profile. HD s are good grip, but pricey! Maybe consider Conti Trail King as well?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    agree with you on the harder compounds lasting longer in the rear, and the differing purposes. for now, i just wanted consistency in the tread pattern front and rear as i learn how to increase my lean angle and weight the bike more. once i get comfortable with more lean, and weighting the front, then i think i will start going w/ different front and rear tires.
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dth656 View Post
    agree with you on the harder compounds lasting longer in the rear, and the differing purposes. for now, i just wanted consistency in the tread pattern front and rear as i learn how to increase my lean angle and weight the bike more. once i get comfortable with more lean, and weighting the front, then i think i will start going w/ different front and rear tires.

Understood. Still think you'd be better off having a slightly lighter duty tire in the rear. That's how I started when I was brand new and I'm glad.

If you still want the same front and rear and don't care about drag or weight, maxxis minion DHF or high roller II. Soft compound up front and harder in the rear.

Dunno if you're on 26" or 29" wheels but there's only two choices for 29" so that makes it easier. 3C (softer) and non-3C.

rjx
    mtbr member
    Which tires are you all using at:
    - Santa Cruz (Wilder, Demo, UCSC)
    - San Jose (Alum Rock Park & Santa Teresa Park)

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    You guys will probably think I'm crazy.

Giant Anthem Advance 1 275.

Last weekend as I made my way to Demo, I was really concerned about the moon dust and my racing ralphs. I will admit the trails were in better shape than I thought they might be, but the RR really worked above my expectations. The front tire tried to wash out twice on me, but both times the side knobs saved it.

Certainly riding style has a lot to do with tire choice, but that ride sold me on RR as a really good all around tire for the Bay Area. I don't leave the ground much and I'm certainly not hitting the stunts, however, I have been charging through the rough stuff faster and faster now that I am on full suspension.

On my 29er hardtail, its been fast tracks and cross marks for years.

I'm more of a cross country rider than anything. I'm no where near the fastest guy out there, but I do think without context, someones tire choice is kind of meaningless.

What kind of bike/tires are you guys using?-untitled-1.jpg

GMM
    mtbr member
    Alias530, how you liking the HR upfront other than its smaller size. Thinking of going HR on front and Ardent rear on my Tallboy LTc for Downieville and Tahoe riding. I like to climb so don't want something as beefy as the Minion.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GMM View Post
    Alias530, how you liking the HR upfront other than its smaller size. Thinking of going HR on front and Ardent rear on my Tallboy LTc for Downieville and Tahoe riding. I like to climb so don't want something as beefy as the Minion.
    I actually haven't ridden since I put it on but I'll be able to tell you this weekend.

I took off a Hans dampf cuz the knobs were tearing off so I'm saving it for when the ground is softer. I ran a Butcher for a bit, which is as close to a minion clone as you can get, and it was noticeably faster than the tire it replaced (purgatory) so I wouldn't worry about it as a front especially if you're considering a high roller. They will have similar rolling properties.

My bike has high roller 2 front, ardent rear right now. Planning on keeping the HR up front and just swapping the ardent for another high roller when I go to Downieville

GMM
    mtbr member
    I am going to Downieville in a week, but hoped to be able to keep the Ardent on the back. I'll be doing the XC race climb. If I were only shuttling, I'd definitely do HR2's front and back, but those are 950 gram tires. Might look at the Ikon 2.35's for volume and lighter weight than my Ardent 2.25. Look forward to hearing your feedback on the HR2 up front at Dville. I would think it would be perfect. Hans Dampf wear issue is unfortunately well known btw.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Ya I didn't think I rode aggressively enough to experience the same knob tearing but I guess I do.

My experience won't be at Dville but I'll be hitting the most DH oriented stuff in Auburn this weekend to stress test it.

When are you going to DV? I always ride solo cuz everyone I know who rides has been riding for 10+ years and races Cat1 and they're way faster than me or they're brand new and way slower. I don't know anyone my pace (been riding about a year)

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    sb66c - running tubeless Minnion DHf 2.5 Exo up front and 2.25 Ardent exo out back...good combo for me. Other combo I liked Schwalbe HD Evolution Trailstar up front and NN pacestar out back...Looking forward to the new NN this fall.

The schwalbe set up will be much lighter than my current Maxxis set up

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    The ardent 2.25 really is great as a rear tire.

It brakes better than it should for how fast it is and is faster than it should be for the traction and braking it provides.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rjx View Post
    Which tires are you all using at:
    - Santa Cruz (Wilder, Demo, UCSC)
    - San Jose (Alum Rock Park & Santa Teresa Park)

Thanks.
    I ride those trails on my Santa Cruz Blur LTc. In front I have the Schwalbe Hans Dampf and rear is Maxxis Ardent EXO 2.25". The bike originally came with Maxxis High Roller UST 2.35 in front and back, and i replaced them over time. I definitely prefer Hans Dampf in front to the High Roller, but I preferred the High Roller to Ardent for rear.

For the back, I would not go with Hans Dampf since I would prefer something with more roll. If/when I need to replace the back, I'm going to switch to Maxxis High Roller II tires. I tried the 27.5 version on the new Bronson, and they were great.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    ^^ rjx- I ride UC Wilder a lot and really like the (evil) Speshy Butcher Control 2.4/Nobby Nic Evo 2.25 combo this time of the year on my 26" Mojo HD. The Nic's are a little scary when it's muddy, and they slide a bit on the dry steeps--but I'm starting to enjoy that!
    Last edited by dirtvert; 06-18-2014 at 08:21 PM.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

GMM
    mtbr member
    Butcher - Nics seem like a good combo.

Alias530, riding midweek 7/2 and 7/3. Couldn't make next weekend.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I've only been once when I was brand new at riding and was terrified the whole time. I think I'd have way more fun now

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti575inCA View Post
    ther combo I liked Schwalbe HD Evolution Trailstar up front and NN pacestar out back...Looking forward to the new NN this fall
    Switched to exactly this combo now, and also looking forward for the new NN. Looks like the applied some lessons from the success of the HD on this new tire. Hopefully they will have a 29er trailstar, so I can put it in the front when the HD retires.

rjx
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ra-man44 View Post
    I ride those trails on my Santa Cruz Blur LTc. In front I have the Schwalbe Hans Dampf and rear is Maxxis Ardent EXO 2.25". The bike originally came with Maxxis High Roller UST 2.35 in front and back, and i replaced them over time. I definitely prefer Hans Dampf in front to the High Roller, but I preferred the High Roller to Ardent for rear.

For the back, I would not go with Hans Dampf since I would prefer something with more roll. If/when I need to replace the back, I'm going to switch to Maxxis High Roller II tires. I tried the 27.5 version on the new Bronson, and they were great.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    ^^ rjx- I ride UC Wilder a lot and really like the (evil) Speshy Butcher Control 2.4/Nobby Nic Evo 2.25 combo this time of the year on my 26" Mojo HD. The Nic's are a little scary when it's muddy, and they slide a bit on the dry steeps--but I'm starting to enjoy that!
    Thank you for the replies.

Singletrackmac
    I have been riding ITS Intruders 2.5" on the front and ITS Edges 2.5" in the rear. Great combo at only 850g each and love the wide tires front and back. Makes for a plush ride that allows for low PSI with lots of traction in loose conditions. No concern for pinch flats with all that rubber, haven't had one yet since I switched and I am 240lbs.

Also, the big tires gives my 26" wheels a 27.25" diameter which is the same as a 650b 2.2" tire, but with less rim, more rubber and more contact patch. Combo works great for Tahoe chunk.
    Get out of the gutter and onto the mountain top.

"I only had like two winekills captain buzzcooler"

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5