Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Running Purgatory front/Ground control rear now. Good combo but I might want a little more traction in the rear if I went to anything even slightly more technical or aggressive terrain than I ride now.

dpo
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have a question for you guys. I am 1.5 yrs in to MTB. I ride a fs 29'er ( rumblefish) so def not XC...I ride around fhdl and Auburn. ( Some Granite bay ) Mostly all Auburn though. I want to replace the Bontragers which have been ok but the front gets a lot of lateral movement. I am 170 dry. I want to know what is the best to run tubeless for where I ride. My lbs is telling me the weirwolf for this area. Yet I don't see them mentioned a whole lot...what would you run in Foresthill/Auburn? I prefer lots of traction over speed. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dpo View Post
    I have a question for you guys. I am 1.5 yrs in to MTB. I ride a fs 29'er ( rumblefish) so def not XC...I ride around fhdl and Auburn. ( Some Granite bay ) Mostly all Auburn though. I want to replace the Bontragers which have been ok but the front gets a lot of lateral movement. I am 170 dry. I want to know what is the best to run tubeless for where I ride. My lbs is telling me the weirwolf for this area. Yet I don't see them mentioned a whole lot...what would you run in Foresthill/Auburn? I prefer lots of traction over speed. Thanks!
    If you really want traction over speed, Maxxis Minion or even Kenda Nevegal. A more balanced option for faster rolling with good grip would be Hans Dampf

Weirwolf is a great tire but wear out way too fast

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Which Bontragers are you using?

I use a Purgatory front/Ground Control rear set up tubeless and I like them a lot. I may go Butcher front/Purgatory rear just because the rear skids just a hair sooner than I want on heavy braking but I'm 240. At 170 it would probably be perfect for you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    '09 GT i-Drive 5 (5" rear 120mm front) I had been using some 2011 IRC Mythos XC's the last season and a half but didn't like how narrow it was. It was labeled a 2.1" but actual width was only 1.9". I just ordered some Geax Mezcal's in 2.3" and have heard the tire runs true to size to slightly bigger than labeled. I mainly ride at Granite Bay after work which is loose sand over hardpack and the Geax tire I got is supposed to work well for this.

If anyone is interested in the IRC's I'm taking off let me know. The rear has minor wear and the front still has most of the casting nubs still on the tread blocks, 26".

dpo
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    Which Bontragers are you using?

I use a Purgatory front/Ground Control rear set up tubeless and I like them a lot. I may go Butcher front/Purgatory rear just because the rear skids just a hair sooner than I want on heavy braking but I'm 240. At 170 it would probably be perfect for you.

Bontrager 29-4 Expert, 29x2.3"

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Bontrager 29-4 Expert, 29x2.3"
    Try the purgatory. Money back guaranteed too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Bought some new tires and I'm considering the following combos, what combo do you think would work best for Auburn?

All tubeless on a 5.5" 29er, listed as F / R, all 29x2.3 unless otherwise listed

Purgatory / Ground Control (current)
    Purgatory / Ardent 2.25
    Butcher / Purgatory
    Butcher / Ground Control
    Butcher / Ardent 2.25
    HRII 3C / HRII dual compound
    HRII 3C / Ardent 2.25

Finally stateside again
    My new combo that has 2 rides on it so far is a Hans Dampf Evo casing in front and the new Rock Razor Evo casing in back. So far so good with it and that back tire is super fast

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mzorich View Post
    My new combo that has 2 rides on it so far is a Hans Dampf Evo casing in front and the new Rock Razor Evo casing in back. So far so good with it and that back tire is super fast
    How is the Rock Razor traction in climbing and turning?

Finally stateside again
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    How is the Rock Razor traction in climbing and turning?
    Turning is where it is at with this tire which is what i wanted. Climbing isn't bad either. the only thing that has really shown to be its weaker point is on gravel. This this is fast though. i could instantly feel how much snappier the bike got coming off my purgatory. and to think about it the purgatory hard a way worse time climbing. get one i think it will be a great summer tire. now time will tell how long it will last. i only have about 100 miles on mine but its holding up well

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Using Butcher/Ardent 2.25 now and it's good.

Purgatory/Ground Control didn't have enough braking traction
    Butcher/Purgatory bogged too much

(all F/R)

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Re: What kind of bike/tires are you guys using?

I just put on a 2.35 kinda kinetics front tire on, and a 2.1 kenda rear tire. I forget the rears name but it looked like the tread could work like a paddle cause some of the places we go gets pretty loose.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I see guys on really light duty tires like small block 8's. I thought even x-kings were scary light duty.

Loving the butcher front right now

mtbr member

What kind of bike/tires are you guys using?

26x2.4 Weirwolf up front and a 26x2.3 Wolverine in back, both tubeless of course works awesome on these Marin Trails

mtbr member
    May 2012
    On a Reign X0...

Kenda BBG 2.35 Back (most underrated tire ever)

Minion EXO front

Rolls well, corners like mad.
    Last edited by Esses; 04-28-2014 at 10:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Esses View Post
    On a Reign X0...

Kenda BBG 2.35 Back (most underrated tire ever)

Minion EXO front

Rolls well, corners like mad.
    That BBG kind of looks like the idea behind the Rock Razor.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    That BBG kind of looks like the idea behind the Rock Razor.
    Yeah, totally. I tend to shred Schwalbe tires, though. The Kenda seems to hold up way better for me although I did tear the sidewalls on one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Moved to a Hans Dampf up front and it kicks ass.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Running a Geax Gato 2.3 (non-TNT) in front, and a Saguaro (TNT) 2.2 rear for the Summer on Flows. Great mix of front traction and rear speed, with bombproof casings (the Gato on the rear rolls slow, but gobs of traction and good in the winter). Non-TNT aired up easily on Stans, TNT is a mofo to set-up. I'm biased to Geax's, since they have been really consistent with quality, are relatively cheap, and wear really well. The Goma will be next to try out.

mtbr member
    Hans Dampf indeed rocks. What took me so long to figure it out. Its an odd tire, it just grips, no matter what. It feels a little like you are riding on a road and not a trail, its like there is no effect for the knobs (which you can always feel with other knobby tires).
    I think I will learn a lot of bad techniques on it

Pretty much seals the deal on "which front" questions, if you can afford it and not a racer, its a safe bet.

The Saguaro on the back is doing good so far, good combo of grip and speed, leaning more to the speed side. Not for downhill bombers. I can spin it out on hard climbs, especially going over a rock. Saying "I will replace it when it wears out" is really crazy talk, it looks like it will never wear out But NN will be there soon anyways.

Having tried a few versions of schwalbe tires, what makes them rock on the front is the trailstar compound. NN is a good example. Too bad they are making some sizes only in pace star.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    Hans Dampf indeed rocks. What took me so long to figure it out. Its an odd tire, it just grips, no matter what. It feels a little like you are riding on a road and not a trail, its like there is no effect for the knobs (which you can always feel with other knobby tires).
    I think I will learn a lot of bad techniques on it

Pretty much seals the deal on "which front" questions, if you can afford it and not a racer, its a safe bet.

The Saguaro on the back is doing good so far, good combo of grip and speed, leaning more to the speed side. Not for downhill bombers. I can spin it out on hard climbs, especially going over a rock. Saying "I will replace it when it wears out" is really crazy talk, it looks like it will never wear out But NN will be there soon anyways.

Having tried a few versions of schwalbe tires, what makes them rock on the front is the trailstar compound. NN is a good example. Too bad they are making some sizes only in pace star.
    Yes, I think part of it is that it's non-directional and has no gaps. It's just evenly spaced knobs all around. It doesn't brake as well as the Butcher it replaced and it's a front tire so I can't comment on climbing traction, but it's definitely a fantastic front tire.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Moved to a Hans Dampf up front and it kicks ass.
    You still running the Hans up Front? 2.35" Trailstar I assume??

I've been toying with the idea as well.....currently have a HR2 3C 2.4 front and Ardent 2.4" rear. I'm hesitant to get rid of the HR2 as the front because it is SO reliable. It corners no matter what and never washes out. It has awesome grip on off-camber rocks, roots, etc. especially better than anything else I've tried when wet. Being in the PNW you almost need to run something year round that is prepared for wet. The Ardent definitely rolls better than the HR2 in the rear, however braking traction it lacks. Add wet soil, wood, or rocks and the traction decreases even more, though it too is better than others I have run in the rear.

I've run the following in many different mixes: Nevegals, minnions, HR's, Geax, Datura, TK's, HR2's, Ardents. SO far for PNW (west of the Cascades) the best I have run with least rolling resistance is HR2-F, Ardent-R. I do run a Hans Trailstar on my 29er and so far (without much 'wet' testing) it is very good. Seems to roll pretty well (as much that can be noticed on a front) even at 25psi and has noteable off-camber wood and rock traction, so much that it was definitely noticeable compared to the former Ardent 2.25" it replaced. If I was 100% confident in the Hans Dampf's wet capabilities, I would not hesitate to have the Trailstar 2.35" on the front and most likely the rear although in pacestar compound. I guess worse case scenario, the HR2 goes back on the front for wet season.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm currently running hans up front and ardent 2.25 rear. It's great but like you said braking with the ardent isn't perfect.

I'm gonna replace the hans with an HRII 3C cuz after only 85 as a front tire I'm tearing knobs on the hans. Gonna save it for when the ground is softer.

these are all 29" models FYI

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Just threw on the HRII, it looks like a cyclocross tire compared to the Hans Dampf, so small by comparison

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast