Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What kind of bike/tires are you guys using?

11K views 119 replies 57 participants last post by  Dirt or Die 
#1 · (Edited)
Trek Superfly 100 Pro with Conti X-King 29x2.2 set up tubeless.

Mostly riding in Auburn or XC trails in Sacramento.

#75 ·
Specialized Enduro with Specialized Butcher Control 2.3's up front (@27 PSI) and specialized Eskar Control 2.3 rear (@30 PSI). Does everything well. No plans on changing anything. Mostly riding STCP - Bernal Ranch entrance up to Coyote peak, then down Rocky Ridge and Stiles.

For good float over Tahoe silt (Northstar), I used a Purgatory 2.4 front. Awesome for loose stuff, but not too good for hardpack.

Always Tubless with stans...

#77 ·
I have a question for you guys. I am 1.5 yrs in to MTB. I ride a fs 29'er ( rumblefish) so def not XC...I ride around fhdl and Auburn. ( Some Granite bay ) Mostly all Auburn though. I want to replace the Bontragers which have been ok but the front gets a lot of lateral movement. I am 170 dry. I want to know what is the best to run tubeless for where I ride. My lbs is telling me the weirwolf for this area. Yet I don't see them mentioned a whole lot...what would you run in Foresthill/Auburn? I prefer lots of traction over speed. Thanks!

#80 ·
'09 GT i-Drive 5 (5" rear 120mm front) I had been using some 2011 IRC Mythos XC's the last season and a half but didn't like how narrow it was. It was labeled a 2.1" but actual width was only 1.9". I just ordered some Geax Mezcal's in 2.3" and have heard the tire runs true to size to slightly bigger than labeled. I mainly ride at Granite Bay after work which is loose sand over hardpack and the Geax tire I got is supposed to work well for this.

If anyone is interested in the IRC's I'm taking off let me know. The rear has minor wear and the front still has most of the casting nubs still on the tread blocks, 26".

#83 ·
Bought some new tires and I'm considering the following combos, what combo do you think would work best for Auburn?

All tubeless on a 5.5" 29er, listed as F / R, all 29x2.3 unless otherwise listed

Purgatory / Ground Control (current)
Purgatory / Ardent 2.25
Butcher / Purgatory
Butcher / Ground Control
Butcher / Ardent 2.25
HRII 3C / HRII dual compound
HRII 3C / Ardent 2.25

#98 ·
You still running the Hans up Front? 2.35" Trailstar I assume??

I've been toying with the idea as well.....currently have a HR2 3C 2.4 front and Ardent 2.4" rear. I'm hesitant to get rid of the HR2 as the front because it is SO reliable. It corners no matter what and never washes out. It has awesome grip on off-camber rocks, roots, etc. especially better than anything else I've tried when wet. Being in the PNW you almost need to run something year round that is prepared for wet. The Ardent definitely rolls better than the HR2 in the rear, however braking traction it lacks. Add wet soil, wood, or rocks and the traction decreases even more, though it too is better than others I have run in the rear.

I've run the following in many different mixes: Nevegals, minnions, HR's, Geax, Datura, TK's, HR2's, Ardents. SO far for PNW (west of the Cascades) the best I have run with least rolling resistance is HR2-F, Ardent-R. I do run a Hans Trailstar on my 29er and so far (without much 'wet' testing) it is very good. Seems to roll pretty well (as much that can be noticed on a front) even at 25psi and has noteable off-camber wood and rock traction, so much that it was definitely noticeable compared to the former Ardent 2.25" it replaced. If I was 100% confident in the Hans Dampf's wet capabilities, I would not hesitate to have the Trailstar 2.35" on the front and most likely the rear although in pacestar compound. I guess worse case scenario, the HR2 goes back on the front for wet season.

#95 ·
Running a Geax Gato 2.3 (non-TNT) in front, and a Saguaro (TNT) 2.2 rear for the Summer on Flows. Great mix of front traction and rear speed, with bombproof casings (the Gato on the rear rolls slow, but gobs of traction and good in the winter). Non-TNT aired up easily on Stans, TNT is a mofo to set-up. I'm biased to Geax's, since they have been really consistent with quality, are relatively cheap, and wear really well. The Goma will be next to try out.

#96 ·
Hans Dampf indeed rocks. What took me so long to figure it out. Its an odd tire, it just grips, no matter what. It feels a little like you are riding on a road and not a trail, its like there is no effect for the knobs (which you can always feel with other knobby tires).
I think I will learn a lot of bad techniques on it :)

Pretty much seals the deal on "which front" questions, if you can afford it and not a racer, its a safe bet.

The Saguaro on the back is doing good so far, good combo of grip and speed, leaning more to the speed side. Not for downhill bombers. I can spin it out on hard climbs, especially going over a rock. Saying "I will replace it when it wears out" is really crazy talk, it looks like it will never wear out :) But NN will be there soon anyways.

Having tried a few versions of schwalbe tires, what makes them rock on the front is the trailstar compound. NN is a good example. Too bad they are making some sizes only in pace star.

#97 ·
Yes, I think part of it is that it's non-directional and has no gaps. It's just evenly spaced knobs all around. It doesn't brake as well as the Butcher it replaced and it's a front tire so I can't comment on climbing traction, but it's definitely a fantastic front tire.

#99 ·
I'm currently running hans up front and ardent 2.25 rear. It's great but like you said braking with the ardent isn't perfect.

I'm gonna replace the hans with an HRII 3C cuz after only 85 as a front tire I'm tearing knobs on the hans. Gonna save it for when the ground is softer.

these are all 29" models FYI

#101 ·
i was also looking for recommendations for a grippy tire. i don't mind if it's heavy, or it has high rolling resistance, but just want good grip (esp in loose conditions like braille currently). since i'm a hack, i don't mind a bit of overkill--and i'd like the same tire front and rear. a summary of the characteristics:

-lots of grip in all kinds of conditions
-round profile, such that it grips as you lean it over
-high weight, rolling resistance not an issue

i was looking at the minion DHF 2.5" for front and rear. my past history has been:

-kenda excavator 2.35---was ok, much less rolling resistance than the nevegal
-kenda nevegal 2.35 stick-E---i like this thus far, but was wanting to try something new. it sticks very well, and i'm ok w/ the high rolling resistance and weight.

after reading the thread, i might give the hans dampf a try. most of my riding is corral-->braille in SDF, with about 20% of time in annadel or t-rancho.

thanks in advance.

#103 ·
i was also looking for recommendations for a grippy tire. i don't mind if it's heavy, or it has high rolling resistance, but just want good grip (esp in loose conditions like braille currently). since i'm a hack, i don't mind a bit of overkill--and i'd like the same tire front and rear. a summary of the characteristics:

-lots of grip in all kinds of conditions
-round profile, such that it grips as you lean it over
-high weight, rolling resistance not an issue

i was looking at the minion DHF 2.5" for front and rear. my past history has been:

-kenda excavator 2.35---was ok, much less rolling resistance than the nevegal
-kenda nevegal 2.35 stick-E---i like this thus far, but was wanting to try something new. it sticks very well, and i'm ok w/ the high rolling resistance and weight.

after reading the thread, i might give the hans dampf a try. most of my riding is corral-->braille in SDF, with about 20% of time in annadel or t-rancho.

thanks in advance.
Sounds like the Never-rolls are perfect for you! Minion / High Rollers would probably be good as well, but they are more square-ish profile. HD s are good grip, but pricey! Maybe consider Conti Trail King as well?

#102 ·
Why do you want the same tire front and rear? They serve different purposes and tires that make good fronts aren't necessarily good rears. Different widths and compounds suit front or rear better. For example, harder compounds are better suited for the rear.

#104 ·
agree with you on the harder compounds lasting longer in the rear, and the differing purposes. for now, i just wanted consistency in the tread pattern front and rear as i learn how to increase my lean angle and weight the bike more. once i get comfortable with more lean, and weighting the front, then i think i will start going w/ different front and rear tires.

#105 ·
Understood. Still think you'd be better off having a slightly lighter duty tire in the rear. That's how I started when I was brand new and I'm glad.

If you still want the same front and rear and don't care about drag or weight, maxxis minion DHF or high roller II. Soft compound up front and harder in the rear.

Dunno if you're on 26" or 29" wheels but there's only two choices for 29" so that makes it easier. 3C (softer) and non-3C.

#114 ·
I ride those trails on my Santa Cruz Blur LTc. In front I have the Schwalbe Hans Dampf and rear is Maxxis Ardent EXO 2.25". The bike originally came with Maxxis High Roller UST 2.35 in front and back, and i replaced them over time. I definitely prefer Hans Dampf in front to the High Roller, but I preferred the High Roller to Ardent for rear.

For the back, I would not go with Hans Dampf since I would prefer something with more roll. If/when I need to replace the back, I'm going to switch to Maxxis High Roller II tires. I tried the 27.5 version on the new Bronson, and they were great.

#107 ·
You guys will probably think I'm crazy.

Giant Anthem Advance 1 275.

Last weekend as I made my way to Demo, I was really concerned about the moon dust and my racing ralphs. I will admit the trails were in better shape than I thought they might be, but the RR really worked above my expectations. The front tire tried to wash out twice on me, but both times the side knobs saved it.

Certainly riding style has a lot to do with tire choice, but that ride sold me on RR as a really good all around tire for the Bay Area. I don't leave the ground much and I'm certainly not hitting the stunts, however, I have been charging through the rough stuff faster and faster now that I am on full suspension.

On my 29er hardtail, its been fast tracks and cross marks for years.

I'm more of a cross country rider than anything. I'm no where near the fastest guy out there, but I do think without context, someones tire choice is kind of meaningless.

Slope Colorfulness Line Font Carmine

#109 ·
I actually haven't ridden since I put it on but I'll be able to tell you this weekend.

I took off a Hans dampf cuz the knobs were tearing off so I'm saving it for when the ground is softer. I ran a Butcher for a bit, which is as close to a minion clone as you can get, and it was noticeably faster than the tire it replaced (purgatory) so I wouldn't worry about it as a front especially if you're considering a high roller. They will have similar rolling properties.

My bike has high roller 2 front, ardent rear right now. Planning on keeping the HR up front and just swapping the ardent for another high roller when I go to Downieville

#110 ·
I am going to Downieville in a week, but hoped to be able to keep the Ardent on the back. I'll be doing the XC race climb. If I were only shuttling, I'd definitely do HR2's front and back, but those are 950 gram tires. Might look at the Ikon 2.35's for volume and lighter weight than my Ardent 2.25. Look forward to hearing your feedback on the HR2 up front at Dville. I would think it would be perfect. Hans Dampf wear issue is unfortunately well known btw.

#111 ·
Ya I didn't think I rode aggressively enough to experience the same knob tearing but I guess I do.

My experience won't be at Dville but I'll be hitting the most DH oriented stuff in Auburn this weekend to stress test it.

When are you going to DV? I always ride solo cuz everyone I know who rides has been riding for 10+ years and races Cat1 and they're way faster than me or they're brand new and way slower. I don't know anyone my pace (been riding about a year)

#112 ·
sb66c - running tubeless Minnion DHf 2.5 Exo up front and 2.25 Ardent exo out back...good combo for me. Other combo I liked Schwalbe HD Evolution Trailstar up front and NN pacestar out back...Looking forward to the new NN this fall.

The schwalbe set up will be much lighter than my current Maxxis set up

#118 ·
ther combo I liked Schwalbe HD Evolution Trailstar up front and NN pacestar out back...Looking forward to the new NN this fall
Switched to exactly this combo now, and also looking forward for the new NN. Looks like the applied some lessons from the success of the HD on this new tire. Hopefully they will have a 29er trailstar, so I can put it in the front when the HD retires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.