Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'm still trying to find a tire that rolls well but can handle abuse. Switching to a Maxxis high roller exo in the rear KILLED the roll. Bogging. And still looking.

mtbr member
    2014 Nomad C - 2.3 Maxxis High Rollers Front and Rear.
    2012 Intense Tracer 2 - 2.3 Maxxis High Rollers Front and Rear.
    2012 Specialized Demo - 2.5 Minion in front 2.5 High Roller in back

High Rollers are sick!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by The Trail Bum View Post
    2014 Nomad C - 2.3 Maxxis High Rollers Front and Rear.
    2012 Intense Tracer 2 - 2.3 Maxxis High Rollers Front and Rear.
    2012 Specialized Demo - 2.5 Minion in front 2.5 High Roller in back

High Rollers are sick!
    Hook up great, hold up great, Bogggggg. Are you using the EXO casing?

mtbr member
    Seems like OP rides a 29er. I am on a 26 so the mileage may be different. I am currently running a WTB mutano 2.4 up front with a Conti trail king 2.2 rear. The rear will be replaced when my WTB Wolverine 2.2 race comes in the mail. So mutano 2.4 up front wolverine 2.2 in the rear.

I am not racing at this point so the weight savings and minimal rolling resistance improvements weigh less that a fun tire that can be run tubeless. Weights on these are not that bad and I have run a few Wolverine tubeless for many many miles on more than one bike and they perform great.

When replacing my once front, then moved to rear tubeless, then tubed due to air loss Wolverine I toyed over pretty much every other tire mentioned in the thread. In the end I chose to get another wolverine.

For me this tire combo gives great traction up front, a great climbing rear tire that also has a lower rolling resistance and a larger casing that allows for lower psi and a more plush ride.

I chose the race over their tubeless versions based on weight. Sure the sidewalls may weep a bit but performance is what I am after. They wear fairly well for our area and I have enjoyed days at D-Ville just as well as the local race series.

For now WTB has been my best bet. After gathering new tire buying info my thoughts are Conti's have let me down in the past, Maxxis has mixed reviews and Schwalbe's don't have staying power but perform really well.

mtbr member
    Tallboy C, nobby nic snakeskin front, saguaro rear. It was little sketchy when it was dry and dusty, but now when we got some moisture and not much dust over the rocks its fine. Running tubes because easton is out of valves.

mtbr member
    Bontrager XR4 Team issue 2.35 F&R on a Trek Stache (29). Great so far and have been a lot more durable then I was expecting. Pretty good not too well known intermediate tire (kinda like an ardent)

I like mtn biking, too
    Quote Originally Posted by evo233 View Post
    Bontrager XR4 Team issue 2.35 F&R on a Trek Stache (29). Great so far and have been a lot more durable then I was expecting. Pretty good not too well known intermediate tire (kinda like an ardent)
    Yeah the Bontragers are surprisingly good! (I just put on an xr3, friend loves his xr4's).
    Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

GMM
    mtbr member
    Racer X 26" - Specialized Captain 2.3 Tubeless Front / 2.1 Capital UST rear. I like the rolling resistance / grip trade-off of these tires. Won't be changing anytime soon.

Tallboy LTc - High Rollers UST 2.2 front & rear. Very grippy, but heavy and not fast rolling. Will save for Downieville shuttling. Probably more tire than I would ever need though.

2.2 Ardent UST front and 2.2 Ardent Race UST ordered and should be delivered by early next week. Ardent Race coming from Australia as I couldn't find any supply in the U.S. These will be replacing the High Rollers.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I got a Purgatory 29x2.3 for up front... hoping that helps.

Going to leave the X-King in the rear for now.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    I've been loving the 2.35 Butcher/2.2 Purgatory combo on my Mojo (26").

But since Specialized sucks Schweddy Balls (corporately speaking), I'm open to suggestions!
    Last edited by dirtvert; 12-08-2013 at 09:47 PM.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

SOG
    mtbr member
    dirt jumpin 53 psi front 60 psi rear sb8

trail bike (tb2) 29 34 psi front nobby nic 37 psi racing ralph rear

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    I've been loving the 2.35 Butcher/2.2 Purgatory combo on my Mojo (26").

But since Specialized sucks Schweddy Balls, I'm open to suggestions!
    What's wrong with them? They seem heavy compared to competitors but that's it.

The Conti is a sidewall protection model and the Specialized isn't and it's still 50g lighter.

mtbr member
    I've been using Nevegal's front and rear for quite some time. I have a 5" travel bike and ride Auburn all the time. In my opinion one of the best tires I've ridden in terms of hooking up. But really slow rollers. I tried doing something with a smaller block but it just broke loose too much. I'm a big guy though 250 w/o gear. I've been really thinking about trying something new though. It's just tough to spend $120 just to see if I like a tire.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Maxxis Ardent front and rear of my Kona TanukiDL because that is what they came with and I don't know any better.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbg33k View Post
    I've been using Nevegal's front and rear for quite some time. I have a 5" travel bike and ride Auburn all the time. In my opinion one of the best tires I've ridden in terms of hooking up. But really slow rollers. I tried doing something with a smaller block but it just broke loose too much. I'm a big guy though 250 w/o gear. I've been really thinking about trying something new though. It's just tough to spend $120 just to see if I like a tire.
    I'm just going to replace as needed. Not trying to spend hundreds of dollars experimenting

mtbr member
    Yeah, I still feel like it really sucks when I replace a set of tires and don't like the new ones at all. When I bought the slant six set I could say they rolled a hell of a lot faster, however didn't hook up at all when I was bombing. I felt like I was going to injure myself with them so I ended up just buying another set of Nevegals.

mtbr member
    I ride the shall not be named "S" brand Rockhopper Expert 29er (got it used) with a rigid Salsa fork. Running Geax Saguaro 2.2 F/R right now (tubeless). I am switching to a Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 front and a Maxxis High Roller II Tire 29x2.30 rear. Looking for a little more squish and just something a little different. The Saguros have been really durable. They were a pain in the a$$ to mount up but have been trouble free since.

I ride Rockville, Pena Adobe/Lagoon Valley and Annadel in my area.
    Last edited by OnThaCouch; 12-10-2013 at 09:47 AM. Reason: bad spelling of geax saguaro

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by OnThaCouch View Post
    I ride the shall not be named "S" brand Rockhopper Expert 29er (got it used) with a rigid Salsa fork. Running Geax Saguro 2.2 F/R right now (tubeless). I am switching to a Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 front and a Maxxis High Roller II Tire 29x2.30 rear. Looking for a little more squish and just something a little different. The Saguros have been really durable. They were a pain in the a$$ to mount up but have been trouble free since.

I ride Rockville, Pena Adobe/Lagoon Valley and Annadel in my area.
    That's a really aggressive combo!

I've completely signed off from using Schwalbe tires because of how expensive and fast wearing they are, but I'd be interested in hearing how the High Roller is.

mtbr member
    I was a little apprehensive about plunking down the cash as I have heard about the fast wearing nature of the Schwalbes too but I figured that I'd give 'em a shot and then decide for myself if the wear was a big enough issue to not use them. I have heard great things about their traction and tracking.

I will try and remember to post up after breaking them in a couple of months.

Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    That's a really aggressive combo!

I've completely signed off from using Schwalbe tires because of how expensive and fast wearing they are, but I'd be interested in hearing how the High Roller is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    That really depends on the compound. The softer compounds wear quickly, the pacestar is not too bad. The saguaro on the other hand, seems like it will last forever, and it costs less.

mtbr member
    I purchased the Pacestar compound on the Hans Dampf. I figured the trailstar, while reportedly tacky, would wear too fast for my comfort.

My Saguaros have lasted forever. Solid deal on a great tire. I was just looking to try something new and different. If I "had" to keep rolling them, I wouldn't be upset.

Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    That really depends on the compound. The softer compounds wear quickly, the pacestar is not too bad. The saguaro on the other hand, seems like it will last forever, and it costs less.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Re: What kind of bike/tires are you guys using?

Quote Originally Posted by OnThaCouch View Post
    I purchased the Pacestar compound on the Hans Dampf. I figured the trailstar, while reportedly tacky, would wear too fast for my comfort.

I'm using the Hans Dampf Trailstar as a front tire. As is one of my regular riding partners. Based on the wear we are seeing to date, I fully expect this tire to last about 1600 - 1800 miles.

Current mileage on my tire is about 800. Mileage on my buddies is around 1200.

I certainly couldn't justify running this as a rear tire for the cost... But I think it could possibly be justified for the front.

-jm

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Weird huh?
    Huffy SuPrChunk 900 with HanzDampf argon charged rear shock with 34.565" rear travel.
    ChangLei VeriRound VelcroMatic front tire (4.243) at 34.3 psi.
    HipsterTard 1.25 (700C) on the back usually at 145 psi.

Light blue tassles on the ends of both bars...
    And don't do the burrito jump... Francois

mtbr member
    2010 Rocky Mountain Altitude 70 with WTB Bronsons 2.3.

mtbr member
    Ibis Mojo with Conti Trail King 2.2 in the back and Kenda Excavator in the front. The Trail King is my fave rear tire right now and I'm not planning on swapping this on my trail bike. Still looking for a better front though. Love the Conti Der Kaiser on my dh bike so I'm kind of a Conti whore right now.

I will never ever buy Schwalbe again...3 pairs of Fat Alberts (they sent me 2 more after I showed them the first) and all of them had ripped knobs after a few rides. Lame and the ride wasn't anything great.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast