mtbr member
    Jun 2006

What does Specialized contribute in terms of local mountain bike advocacy?

Was having a discussion about the lack of trail access for mountain bikes in the peninsula (and frankly greater bay area) and the conversation turned to the lack of mountain bike advocacy, especially as compared to the Santa Cruz area/MBOSC. With Specialized being such a major player in the MTB world I'm curious to hear about the ways the company is making efforts to advance the availability of riding areas locally.

Does anyone have any idea? Are they doing anything? I tried some google searching but didn't find much aside from the specialized foundation (different focus) and some grants given in 2010.

EDIT: If you're going to participate in the discussion please read the post carefully. The question relates specifically to trail access and local MTB advocacy.
    Last edited by akdmx; 08-08-2018 at 09:11 AM.

mtbr member
    They don't do a thing except jam eBikes down your throat.

Contains no juice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_G View Post
    They don't do a thing except jam eBikes down your throat.
    That's an ignorant thing to say. A quick Google search turns this up: https://www.specializedfoundation.org/ or https://www.specializedfoundation.or...grant-program/

Or: https://specializedfoundation.square...silicon-valley

Or: https://static1.squarespace.com/stat..._Grant2018.pdf

Or: https://www.specializedfoundation.org/press-releases
    "...rhetorical hyperbole..."

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    They work with local advocacy groups (Acces4bikes) and lend people time.

At a recent trail maintenance day at China camp with Access4bikes Specialized had 4 or 5 employees there helping out, providing food etc. There were only 7 to 10 local people there to help out, so they impressed me with how many resources they provided.

They did mention that it's a hard sell to just provide funds, so instead they try and provide bikes for raffles etc.

With a large helping (like all the big manufacturers) of shove ebikes down your throat.

mtbr member
    We had large crews from Specialized come out and do dig days when we were constructing the flow trail out at Demo.

Trail access in California is frankly a ****ing nightmare & those who do the advocacy work must have the patience of saints. Iím sure they do as much as manufacturers can via various channels, but until the associated bureaucracy changes you wonít see significant gains.
    Not really doing much Ridin' or Diggin'

middle ring single track
    Specialized is very eager to help locally; there is a big gap between their expectations and how the LMA's do business. Specialized would like to hop on a shovel-ready project with a time frame of weeks or months; the LMA's are talking years or decades.

I've been on the ground with Specialized employees at both Henry W Coe SP and at Harvey Bear County Park; at Coe it's a wait-and-see; at Harvey Bear the "ducks need to be in a row" so there isn't a debacle like SVMTB had at Sanborn. (FWIW there's already a bike area in Harvey Bear's master plan)

Specialized has at least been very generous with pizza and beer.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    What Iím told from my riding buddy who lives in San Martin along with his high school age nephew he would have to go to Salinas if he wants to be on a school bike team. Where is special ed located gilroy? If they donít throw down some sopport to local schools for a team maybe they are saving up money to sign gwin again next time around. F n joke

Contains no juice.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcin View Post
    What Iím told from my riding buddy who lives in San Martin along with his high school age nephew he would have to go to Salinas if he wants to be on a school bike team. Where is special ed located gilroy? If they donít throw down some sopport to local schools for a team maybe they are saving up money to sign gwin again next time around. F n joke
    Do you expect them to support every fricking school in the state?

Not a Specialized fanboy, but so much hate.

They're in Morgan Hill, by the way.

mtbr member
    They could give GF and TR their bike back, if they really want to help and then pay them royalties for stealing it, then produce bikes in the US instead of the brand that cheapened out with China to begin with and started this mess.

mtbr member

Specialize helped the Mendo Coast Steam Donkeys

We were given an eBike from Specialized specifically for trail work. JDSF granted exclusive use of it as a means to get the bobload of tools to work sites. Normally, JDSF and State Parks in the Mendo area forbid the use of eBikes in all the forests. Because of the difficulty and huge terrain we volunteer manage for these agencies, it is the best way to get chainsaws, portable winch and various assortment of hand tools to our monthly trail day projects. Thank you Specialized!

Wēk SŰs
    A team is better handled by people in the school. There is no team in San Jose neither and we would need to go to Cupertino or Hayward for a composite team.

If youíre friend is that passionate, they can start a composite team for their area. But, I understand itís easier to hate Specialized.

Iím not a fan of their practices in general, but their foundation is pretty good.

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat..._Grant2018.pdf

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    So does Morgan hill high school have a bike team? Maybe start frickin close to home and move outward? I used to only ride specialized then they lawyered the f up and continue to shit their pants with ebikes

Wēk SŰs
    So does Morgan hill high school have a bike team? Maybe start frickin close to home and move outward? I used to only ride specialized then they lawyered the f up and continue to shit their pants with ebikes
    I think you have it backwards. The passionate people need to start the team, and not a company. The people, after forming a team, can ask for assistance. Managing a team is time intensive, and is not a job mandate for paid employees of a company.

So what are you suggesting? Are you saying Specialized should hire a coach who may not give a rat's ass about the kids, the schools, and set up a team that may or may not practice, and then look for kids? Wouldn't that be the definition of a pro team and not a high school team? It's better the other way, said passionate person, to volunteer their time to form, recruit, and manage a team, to guarantee interest in their leading the team. Then reach out to Specialized for help in terms of bikes, sponsorship, discounts, equipment, etc.

Whether or not a place has a team is entirely up to the people in that place to organize. I fail to see how Specialized is responsible for having a competitive team in any area other than pro sports.

dw22107
    Jan 2008
    Seem like your trying to stir up hate. What do you do?

Air Pirate
    Why single out Specialized? Due to them being one of the largest or most profitable companies in the industry? Is this a "deep pockets" thing? A "share the wealth" type of thing?
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoicowboy View Post
    Why single out Specialized? Due to them being one of the largest or most profitable companies in the industry? Is this a "deep pockets" thing? A "share the wealth" type of thing?
    Sounds like a 'whiner' thing.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks everyone for taking an interest in the topic but it has gotten off track. I'm not trying to single out specialized for their lack of philanthropy (it seems they do plenty of things). I have no horse in this race and am more than happy with my specialized road bike.

My interest lies in opening doors for mountain bikers. Having influence with local politics like the land preservation organizations is something for which the weight of a company can be used very effectively.

Going out and pitching a shovel at the local dig day is great and I applaud everyone for doing that but I'm concerned about the lack of rideable land. When looking at the bay area on trail forks or a similar platform it is comedic how few good riding areas there are.

The reason I ask about Specialized is not because of their wallet size so much as their geography. Ibis and Santa Cruz are getting to work in Santa Cruz and Specialized seems like the most relevant company to pitch in for the peninsula.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieno View Post
    They work with local advocacy groups (Acces4bikes) and lend people time.

At a recent trail maintenance day at China camp with Access4bikes Specialized had 4 or 5 employees there helping out, providing food etc. There were only 7 to 10 local people there to help out, so they impressed me with how many resources they provided.

They did mention that it's a hard sell to just provide funds, so instead they try and provide bikes for raffles etc.

With a large helping (like all the big manufacturers) of shove ebikes down your throat.
    They donated a bike to A4B to raffle off too. I was at a work day before Ales and Trails. Spec was there, helped a ton and brought bikes for us to ride if we wanted. They brought a guy from Pinkbike with them and he did a nice article on A4B and Marin suckiness.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I think "single out" because what they do isn't as visible as Santa Cruz and MBOSC. Doesn't mean they do more or less / just they might not have the same PR around it as Santa Cruz does with MBOSC.

But, from what the Specialized reps told me their current focus is on helping ADHD kids through mountain biking. It sounded like that's where a lot of Specialized "advocacy" dollars are going.

And the trail crew (1 full time employee + 1 demo van+ whoever else shows up to help out from Specialized) goes around to local groups and donates bikes (eBikes to the trail builders or bikes to raffle off) to help the local group raise money.

At the end of the day though, it's up to the local organization to show they are committed and interested in doing something and then Specialized shows an interest and helps out.

For a big time corporate company that has done a bunch of shitty things in their past / present / future I am not really sure what more anyone could reasonably ask them to do to. Basically, the local orgs have to show they can generate enough interest to make it worth Specialized's time.

It's fun to just bash Specialized, but we should probably give them some amount of credit too.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    FWIW, Ibis and Santa Cruz are much smaller** but do much more for the local trails--including the D'ville area trails. For starters, just look at how much has been raised from their bike raffles.

**I realize SC has been bought out.
    Last edited by dirtvert; 08-14-2018 at 01:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by akdmx View Post

My interest lies in opening doors for mountain bikers. Having influence with local politics like the land preservation organizations is something for which the weight of a company can be used very effectively.
    My very loose observation based on 6 months of paying attention is that the immediate bay area has a large problem with getting bodies out to support advocacy.

You have the people with two 10k bikes on their brand new Porsche's, but when it comes to donate to the advocacy groups, they just don't participate.

I think if we had the bodies constantly showing up, we would see a drastic difference in the amount of support some of the larger companies give.

It's also possible the bay area just sucks so much that the companies have given up and focus on other areas.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    FWIW, Ibis and Santa Cruz are much smaller but do much more for the local trails--including the D'ville area trails.
    Specialized was corporate before mountain biking existed . I think we are seeing with Ibis and Santa Cruz the power of small companies who grew up in the area. Ignoring the current owner / size of Santa Cruz now of course.

Contains no juice.

It's also possible the bay area just sucks so much that the companies have given up and focus on other areas.
    Bingo! lol

I just wanna go fast!
    Ok, so first off I'm not a specialized homer, nor do I even own a single specialized bike.

Down here in Salinas(you know, the place with motivated parents who started and support mountain bike teams for their high schools), Specialized sponsors the Little Bellas mountain bike mentor program for girls(https://littlebellas.com/). Yes, the program is all over the country, but they did develop a low cost Little Bellas specific bike for the program and brought the girls from the local chapters to the release of the bike. They got a tour of the facilities, met the team who worked on the special edition bike, went in the wind tunnel, etc. Other than a one time trip to the factory, they also provide gear and I believe financial support to the organization.

To me at least, introducing the joy of mountain biking to as many local kids as possible is a great way to advocate for bikes in the future.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Disclosure: The only Specialized product I have ever owned is a set of tires that kinda sucked, so I don't really have any feelings for them one way or another. That said, they are a bike company. They sell bikes. That is their responsibility. Sure, it's nice when bike companies help out with trails or leagues or teams, but there is certainly no obligation for them to do so. You think Ford is gonna throw down to have your street repaved? Nike gonna pay for your gym membership? I f%^&#*n hate entitlement.

Wēk SŰs
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtssogood View Post
    Disclosure: The only Specialized product I have ever owned is a set of tires that kinda sucked, so I don't really have any feelings for them one way or another. That said, they are a bike company. They sell bikes. That is their responsibility. Sure, it's nice when bike companies help out with trails or leagues or teams, but there is certainly no obligation for them to do so. You think Ford is gonna throw down to have your street repaved? Nike gonna pay for your gym membership? I f%^&#*n hate entitlement.
    It sure would be nice if Nike paid for my gym membership, or better yet, built me a gym otherwise I'll leave town and go to a place that will build me a new state of the art gym, dammit!

mtb'er
    https://www.specializedfoundation.or...can-you-dig-it

"The Riding for Focus group was led by Fanie Kok, Specialized's Global Trail Advocate who heads up a project called Soil Searching, which aims to tell the story of the people behind the scenes who are out there building the trails we all love to ride. Fanie travels the world meeting trail builders and organizing dig days to encourage mountain bike communities to embrace trail repair and maintenance that can preserve trails forever."

https://soilsearching.exposure.co/

$pecialized also gives $$$ to IMBA. They rebuffed STC's plea's for support... just like every bike company (with the slight exception of Santa Cruz Bicycles).

Specialized, the bike industry and IMBA just aren't able to fight for access where land managers are owned by anti-bike forces. They'll focus their efforts on the low hanging fruit, which is the easiest to do in order to have success stories.

wretch
    I know they do an awful lot on local and global levels as well as very big picture industry advocacy as well. On top of that I bet if you've got a brilliant idea they would be more than willing to listen.

wretch
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    Specialized, the bike industry and IMBA just aren't able to fight for access where land managers are owned by anti-bike forces. They'll focus their efforts on the low hanging fruit, which is the easiest to do in order to have success stories.
    I'd like to think they are playing the long game here and fostering the growth of the sport at a young level. 20 years from now there'll be a whole new generation of riders and people sitting on boards making decisions with fresh new opinions!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Specialized provided a $5000 grant for the construction of the Elk Grove Bike Park and I understand they did the same for the upcoming bike park in Auburn. These are just two examples of their initiative to introduce kids and adults to the joys of riding.

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    My very loose observation based on 6 months of paying attention is that the immediate bay area has a large problem with getting bodies out to support advocacy.

You have the people with two 10k bikes on their brand new Porsche's, but when it comes to donate to the advocacy groups, they just don't participate.
    This is not just a mtn bike problem, and not just a Bay Area problem.

I see the same issue with dirt moto: the number of people who participate is large.
    The number that actively give back either via shovels in dirt or $$ for advocacy/lawyers is tiny tiny tiny.

mtbr member
    MTB companies would be the biggest force for advocating for new trails and trail use. Not sure if they are willing or able to spend the time and money going up to the local municipalities for MTB trail use. Personally, it would be so great to have some new trails with signs that say, sponsored by "company". New Zealand and BC have a ton of trails that are pretty much dedicated to bikes and have trails so developed. They definitely have it figured out.

Not sure how much tax money is allotted to local parks, but property taxes contribute a lot for trails and maintenance of trails. I pay a lot of property taxes a year so I hope they use it all for trail building. Haha.
    Last edited by aliikane; 08-09-2018 at 07:17 PM.

Friendly Neighborhood MTBer
    The NICA movie, Singletrack High, was funded entirely by Specialized. Yay!
    My Christmas wish is for Specialized to take on MROSD head to head, no holds barred, mano y mano. Hit em high and hit em low. Wipe that anti bike smirk off their faces. Perhaps hire an election expert whose focus is to get a bike advocate or two on the MROSD board. I will settle for drastically reduced bike speeding tickets too
    If you can't play, display.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    FWIW, Santa Cruz are much smaller but do much more for the local trails--including the D'ville area trails.
    People here do realize Rob Roskopp sold Santa Cruz to PON Holdings, right? (a multi-BILLION dollar company)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pon_Holdings

Santa Cruz is hardly a small bike company, they have far more cash behind them than Specialized does now I'd even wager.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoicowboy View Post
    Agree with this, they do as much as anyone else.

We should give props to companies that help mtb:

First is Walmart, they donated a million dollars to trails in VA and look at how much they contribute in AR. Don't think there is another company that gives more to our sport, weird paradox!

Wēk SŰs
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    People here do realize Rob Roskopp sold Santa Cruz to PON Holdings, right? (a multi-BILLION dollar company)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pon_Holdings

Santa Cruz is hardly a small bike company, they have far more cash behind them than Specialized does now I'd even wager.
    They are way more ďmainstreamĒ and notably improved carbon and lineup, and marketing. Definitely a large influx of cash these past few years.

I was not aware of the sale in 2015, that explains much.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LargeMan View Post
    Agree with this, they do as much as anyone else.

We should give props to companies that help mtb:

First is Walmart, they donated a million dollars to trails in VA and look at how much they contribute in AR. Don't think there is another company that gives more to our sport, weird paradox!
    Walton Foundation is a major supporter of NICA, the High School MTB League

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by bdamschen View Post
    Ok, so first off I'm not a specialized homer, nor do I even own a single specialized bike.

Down here in Salinas(you know, the place with motivated parents who started and support mountain bike teams for their high schools), Specialized sponsors the Little Bellas mountain bike mentor program for girls(https://littlebellas.com/). Yes, the program is all over the country, but they did develop a low cost Little Bellas specific bike for the program and brought the girls from the local chapters to the release of the bike. They got a tour of the facilities, met the team who worked on the special edition bike, went in the wind tunnel, etc. Other than a one time trip to the factory, they also provide gear and I believe financial support to the organization.

To me at least, introducing the joy of mountain biking to as many local kids as possible is a great way to advocate for bikes in the future.

-They also developed a bike for High School Kidz. Priced well and spec'd pretty nicely.
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    hey everyone, I am the "PR" guy for Specialized - just want to be transparent up front about that. that said, I'm a mountain biker and bay area resident since the late '80s. I came across this thread and wanted to say thank you to the forum member who posted it as it's a great question and a testament to the fact (as another forum member noted) that we don't do a good enough job telling the stories of the trail advocacy work we do. I also would like to say thank you to those who have spoken in defense of Specialized an in regard to the good work we have done. your support means a lot.

I would agree with those who have said there were times when we did not do enough. And I would go further to say that event now we still need to do more. We have had our noses to the grindstone working on many facets of corporate social responsibility .. trail advocacy being but one. Albeit a big one! Here are some of the areas we have been focusing on:

1. Fair Labor Practices - we have a full-time CSR manager who works with all our suppliers to ensure their work force is compensated fairly and treated justly. It's a basic thing but you'd be surprised how important this is and how many factories are far below standard.
    2. The Specialized Foundation - a 501c3 nonprofit dedicated to using cycling as a tool for children to achieve academic, health and social success.
    3. Soil Searching - and this is the one I think we have done the worst job talking about, in our defense that's because it's a relatively new initiative and the first few years were dedicated to gaining a deep understanding of the landscape in an effort to then design ways of getting involved that are truly impactful. A lot of times what seems like it would help at first blush ends up just creating more problems.

A wonderful human being named Fanie leads up Soil Searching. the name itself is a riff on Soul Searching, inferring that Soil Searching is dedicated to seeking out the soul of mountain biking, which if you think about it, is trail builders. Without trail builders there are no trails and without trails there is no mountain biking. Simple as that, really.

At any rate, Fanie and his wife Henschel spent a few years living out of a van driving around the US and Canada getting to know various trail building groups and individuals, understanding their pain points and identifying the common threads amongst them. The following year, Fanie and Henschel traveled abroad for the same purposes except with a broader, international view. Freehub mag recently published a great article going into more detail on Soil Searching, you can find it here: The Lorax // Fanie Kok and a Voice for Trail Builders Freehub Magazine

Back to the part about why we have not done a good job of promoting Soil Searching so far ... our goal is firstly to do the right thing, secondly to talk about it. Once we feel confident our efforts are making a real difference then we will begin to talk more publicly about it. Now that Soil Searching has been around for a few solid years and we have gathered enough info to flesh out some ideas, we are in the process of designing a really freakin' cool program that we plan to roll out around the world. That's about all we can say for now but please stay tuned as we look forward to sharing the news with you all as soon as the time is right!

Until then, hope to see you on the trails or at a dig day! We will have a crew at the SBTS Downieville mountain epic in a few weeks 9 https://sierratrails.org/event/downi...n-epic-august/ ). I will personally be out of the country but if you see Marcus, Fanie or anyone else from our crew please do say hi.

mtbr member
    Thank you for the response Sean. Now if we can get some more trails in the Bay Area that would be fun to ride on a new Stumpy Evo that would be cool.

mtb'er
    Thanks for the insight, "PR guy". With no IMBA staff working in Northern California, and several fledgling IMBA chapters in NorCal, one of the best investments Specialized could make in their home region is to hire a local MTB trail advocate to truly get things in motion that will pay off in the next 10 years. Let me know where to send my resume :-)

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    Thanks for the insight, "PR guy". With no IMBA staff working in Northern California, and several fledgling IMBA chapters in NorCal, one of the best investments Specialized could make in their home region is to hire a local MTB trail advocate to truly get things in motion that will pay off in the next 10 years. Let me know where to send my resume :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Thank you for the response Sean. Now if we can get some more trails in the Bay Area that would be fun to ride on a new Stumpy Evo that would be cool.

Thanks for the kind words and support, guys ... can't tell you how much it means.

Wanted to share a bit more detail around Soil Searching for those who are interested...

Soil Searching's Mission:
    Recognizing, celebrating, and supporting the unsung heroes of mountain biking Ė The TRAIL BUILDERS.

About Soil Searching:
    A journey into the hidden and sometimes forgotten SOUL of mountain biking. It started out as a global market research project in 2015, but soon turned purely into a ďdirt movementĒ; meeting trail advocates and builders all over the world, learning about the challenges and opportunities they face on the ground and determining ways to support them in a sustainable and sincere way. The key is that this is a global movement, not USA/ California specific.

Since 2015 this was done in various organic and somewhat sporadic ways.
    Individual trail builder support through product donations and ambassador deals. Organizational support through monetary grants, bike fundraisers, dig days and media exposure.

Some Stats:
    Total trail builders, advocates and organizations met around the world Ė 500+
    Total countries visited Ė 15
    Total investment Ė upwards of 300k
    Total volunteer dig days attended Ė 20+
    Bike fundraisers Ė 30k raised collectively for A4B in Marin for 2017 and 2018 Ales and Trails - https://access4bikes.com/happenings/...bikes-giveaway
    Specialized Office trail builder summit Ė 13 trail builders hosted at HQ. First time a bike brand does something like this.
    Official partnerships Ė EWS Trail Partner, MBOSC, A4B, SBTS, IMBA Europe, (and then each SBC subsidiary has their own partnerships)

Media:
    Dig Days
    Whistler: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTdP8uWVqig
    New Zealand:
    South Africa: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dIvllF...ature=youtu.be

A4B, Marin County - https://www.pinkbike.com/news/mounta...in-county.html

EWS Trail Partnership - https://www.pinkbike.com/news/enduro...rtnership.html

again, just trying to let the work we are doing be known. We care deeply about the sustainability of mountain biking and about being good citizens within the global MTB community.

Sean

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Sean,

Excellent Summary of your work supporting bike advocates, builders, clubs, etc! As the recipient of this help (A4B) my life and my organization have benefited substantially through this partnership with Specialized. This help is key to slowly changing the historic state of access here in Marin specifically. Much of our work has been behind the scenes building partnerships with land managers, politicians, and other supporters and that work is slowly paying off. When we had our first trail day in May, Specialized brought staff, a writer, and paid for lunch/dinner for the entire crew. Pretty awesome level of support! Fanie is a treasure and should be celebrated, funded, and encouraged to follow his passion of mountain biking. We will all benefit from him one way or the other.

One question I have is given that most of us are social media dependent why the Soil Searching program can't be more real time transparent. A media blog, FB page, or anything would be very appreciated and would help promote your fine efforts as it happening. Is this Fanie's choice to stay away from Social Media or Specialized?

Again, great work Specialized.

Vernon Huffman, Access4Bikes

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    You are ignorant. Specialized provides a lot of support for high school mountain biking, in terms of dollars, bikes, and bike discounts -- all across NorCal. If you want to hate on Specialized, you need to find a different reason.

sftrydr
    We had Ned O and his lovely wife Pam attend and speak at our annual ROMP Xmas shindig a decade ago, it was great.
    His eloquence and ability to enthrall the local advo's was truly remarkable.
    Having Ned as an ambassador for Specialized does nothing but good in putting our best cleet fwd to showcase our chosen endeavor.
    Last edited by ssulljm; 08-14-2018 at 07:34 AM.

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    They got bitchen ebikes thats for sure!
    Thank's Spesh!!
    BRRRAAAAP!

I dig trails!
    Specialized is sponsoring the SBTS Summer Epic coming up later this month, and is inviting their employees to come up and dig and play with us. On top of that Specialized is adopting a trail in the region which will help maintain the trail for years to come.

In addition, Specialized heavily sponsors NorCal NICA events/teams, going as far as creating a more cost effective race bike for the high school racers. NICA's impact on urban mountain biking education is significant (think parents and extended family who whould otherwise not know anything about mountain biking), much less the development of the next generation of riders.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
    Specialized is sponsoring the SBTS Summer Epic coming up later this month, and is inviting their employees to come up and dig and play with us. On top of that Specialized is adopting a trail in the region which will help maintain the trail for years to come.

In addition, Specialized heavily sponsors NorCal NICA events/teams, going as far as creating a more cost effective race bike for the high school racers. NICA's impact on urban mountain biking education is significant (think parents and extended family who whould otherwise not know anything about mountain biking), much less the development of the next generation of riders.
    Heavily sponsors? I've seen that pricing sheet, discounts are not deep, items selection is very limited.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

bike whore
    Dec 2008
    Just wanted to point out that Specialized came on board this year as a partner with us at TDS Enduro. Jared Kessler is our point man with Specialized and it was an absolute pleasure working with Jared and Specialized for the event. After the event, Specialized had a group of their designers/engineers out for a two day team building event at the ranch. What a solid group of rad people.Having heard some of the Big Red S rumblings before hand we didnít know what to expect partnering with them. They are a fantastic partner, and we look forward to working together in the future. Canít thank them enough.
    My 2 cents

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm glad to hear all the feel-good stories about the stuff specialized does but none of this addresses my question so I will restate from my original post for emphasis:

I'm curious to hear about the ways the company is making efforts to advance the availability of riding areas locally.
    Said otherwise, is Specialized doing anything to increase the availability of MTB-rideable area in the bay area?

Responses that do not address this question include:
    1) Efforts to support ADHD
    2) Financially supporting races and or teams
    3) Writing blog posts about interesting trail builders around the country
    4) Engaging in ethical employment practices
    5) Sending people to help a dig day on an existing trail system

Supporting efforts outside of the bay area (mendo, auburn, etc.) kind of counts because I wasn't specific about what is "local", but I'm most interested in Bay Area.

Just thought I'd give this one last shot.

middle ring single track
    I'm glad to hear all the feel-good stories about the stuff specialized does but none of this addresses my question so I will restate from my original post for emphasis:

Said otherwise, is Specialized doing anything to increase the availability of MTB-rideable area in the bay area?

Responses that do not address this question include:
    1) Efforts to support ADHD
    2) Financially supporting races and or teams
    3) Writing blog posts about interesting trail builders around the country
    4) Engaging in ethical employment practices
    5) Sending people to help a dig day on an existing trail system

Supporting efforts outside of the bay area (mendo, auburn, etc.) kind of counts because I wasn't specific about what is "local", but I'm most interested in Bay Area.

Just thought I'd give this one last shot.
    None?

Perhaps you need to define "Bay Area"?

BTW a dig day on an existing trail system might help open existing trails to MTB'ing.

Turning dirt on a new trail is the easy part; getting to that point not so much. Specialized is certainly trying.

Here's Fanie on the ground at HBR with Greg and Michael from Santa Clara County Parks discussing a bike park location:
    What does Specialized contribute in terms of local mountain bike advocacy?-wp_20170905_006.jpg

Specialized has the funding; it will be spent elsewhere until the light turns green.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Consider that $100,000 spent on a trail in the Bay Area buys you half of the EIR and sets up possible lawsuit defenses but doesnít actually come close to getting a trail authorized. Virtually anywhere else in the US the same dollars go much further and can have a real impact in a short time.

If we are talking about dollars for trails, the return on investment in the inner Bay Area and Marin is worse than terrible. Gains are achieved inch by inch by local people working hard and avoiding disillusion from so much pissing into the wind. Itís up to us locals to band together and spend an insane amount of money to protect and expand Tamarancho for example. We canít expect a bike company to do it for us. And Santa Cruz is not really a fair comparison as they have fewer local roadblocks down there and a much better ratio of open space to people.

From an advocacy perspective, itís up to the riders to make it happen by mass action, showing up, and voting. Do you think the land managers and open space districts are going to be influenced by a bike company? Not likely. One thing that has an impact is 100 MTBers coming to a trail access meeting with the land managers so we can drown out the handful of loonies and present a respectful, logical, fact-based case. Iíve seen it break through several times even though each breakthrough is modest. In my view the bike companies do what they can and whatís in their economic interest by trying to grow the sport (high school MTB is one of the brightest growth spots in MTB right now). Iím not speaking for or about Specialized (which has been a huge supporter of NorCal and many individual teams) but about common economic sense for any bike company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk