Results 1 to 48 of 48
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    400

    What do you carry in your Norcal fanny pack?

    So... I'm going to dip my toe into the waters of fanny pack. I've got one of the well reviewed Bontrager ones coming. I see a ton of people using fanny packs/bum bags/whatever in Santa Cruz.

    What do you carry for the typical rides we have around here? How little do you carry in terms of flat protection and tools? I'm riding coast side (El Granada, Montara, Skeggs, Santa Cruz).

    How do you deal with removable chin bars for convertible helmets with a waist pack? Ironically, some of the rides I do that are shortest (and need least amount of water) are the most technical where I want to be wearing my Super 2R.

    I must have exceedingly good luck because I've never flatted since I went tubeless a few years ago, so I feel really reluctant to carry a ton of patch stuff and pumps in my backpack, let alone in a fanny pack. That said, I hate the idea of being "that guy" begging for parts/tools when something goes wrong. I've been on the opposite side though, plugging someone's tire and helping with a leaky tube.

    What I was thinking:
    Camelback Podium bottle (plus 1 in frame)
    2 tire levers
    multitool
    1x CO2 (Gorilla tape wrapped around the cylinder)
    Genuine Innovations plug kit
    zip ties
    spare chain link
    spare tube on frame
    1-2 gels

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 5k bike 50cent legs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    2,033
    I carry a tube, levers, and 2xCO2 in a Motherlode strap on the frame.

    Dynaplug
    CO2 Nozzle
    Chain link
    Zip ties with electrical tap
    First Aida kit
    2 Multitools
    Spyderco knife
    Derailleur hanger

    What do you carry in your Norcal fanny pack?-img_7192.jpg

  3. #3
    rox
    rox is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,386
    16 and 20g co2s with inflator head
    tubeless valve stem with core
    cleat bolt
    10 11 and 12s powerlinks
    duct tape
    1aaa emergency flashlight
    tire levers
    tire boot
    multitool with knife and chain breaker
    zip ties
    whistle
    patches
    tubeless plugs
    derailleur cable
    pills - alleve, advil, benadryl, caffeine, endurolytes
    change for a $20
    antiseptic wipe
    sunscreen wipe
    insect repellent wipe
    wet wipe
    butterfly closures
    safety pin

    it sounds like a lot of stuff but its actually pretty compact and lightweight. those 4 different kinds of individually packaged single use wipes cover a lot of situations. probably the part of that kit that gets used most often is the advil. and I hand out maybe 2 derailleur cables a month to needy riders and they are so easy to carry

  4. #4
    rox
    rox is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,386
    another thing I did is sew in a strap with a clip on the end for my keys. I cant believe packs dont come with this. If you have ever left your pack open or lost your keys you know what I'm talking about

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bluegixxer600's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    52
    Just a mountain lion knife....

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    400
    Quote Originally Posted by rox View Post
    another thing I did is sew in a strap with a clip on the end for my keys. I cant believe packs dont come with this. If you have ever left your pack open or lost your keys you know what I'm talking about
    I think the Bontrager one has that built in. Shifter cable is probably a good idea - weighs nothing but could alleviate the need for a loooong walk out.

    My one idea for dealing with a chin bar is running a long loop of thin elastic cord from one side of the pack to another, and just slipping the chin bar behind it.

  7. #7
    Hella Olde
    Reputation: DH40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,228
    Quote Originally Posted by bluegixxer600 View Post
    Just a mountain lion knife....
    This! My last 2 rides were alone and knifeless (can't find) and I was feeling like a snack. I would hate to actually use it on a beautiful animal, but i'm not going out without a fight.

  8. #8
    Hella Olde
    Reputation: DH40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,228
    Quote Originally Posted by rox View Post
    16 and 20g co2s with inflator head
    tubeless valve stem with core
    cleat bolt
    10 11 and 12s powerlinks
    duct tape
    1aaa emergency flashlight
    tire levers
    tire boot
    multitool with knife and chain breaker
    zip ties
    whistle
    patches
    tubeless plugs
    derailleur cable
    pills - alleve, advil, benadryl, caffeine, endurolytes
    change for a $20
    antiseptic wipe
    sunscreen wipe
    insect repellent wipe
    wet wipe
    butterfly closures
    safety pin

    it sounds like a lot of stuff but its actually pretty compact and lightweight. those 4 different kinds of individually packaged single use wipes cover a lot of situations. probably the part of that kit that gets used most often is the advil. and I hand out maybe 2 derailleur cables a month to needy riders and they are so easy to carry
    Participate in Scouting much?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: flipnidaho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    7,097
    Not exactly a fanny pack but what I carry with me on a usual 2-4 hour ride in NorCal are:

    1 tube, 2 C02 cartridges (strapped to frame using a Mütherload strap)

    All inside a water bottle that is stored in my SWAT pocket:
    2 more C02 cartridges
    C02 Inflator
    $20
    Park Tire lever with metal core
    Dynaplug
    Multitool
    Chain tool
    Wolftooth Quicklink pliers (with spare links inside the tool)
    SPD cleats and boltsl
    M5 bolt
    Spare derailleur hanger
    Assorted strips of tube for patching
    Zipties
    Duct tape wrapped around the bottle
    Tweezers (for tick removal)

    2 water bottles stored in my other SWAT pockets.

  10. #10
    Socialist
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    433
    Quote Originally Posted by bluegixxer600 View Post
    Just a mountain lion knife....
    Damnit. Beat me to it.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    808
    I bring a Topeak multitool, a CO2, a couple of chain links, a gel flask, two bottles of water, and (begrudgingly) a cell phone. I'm considering adding a dynaplug. If it doesn't fit in my pockets it doesn't get a free ride.

  12. #12
    AKD
    AKD is online now
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Reputation: AKD's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,213
    Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    What I was thinking:
    Camelback Podium bottle (plus 1 in frame)
    2 tire levers
    multitool
    1x CO2 (Gorilla tape wrapped around the cylinder)
    Genuine Innovations plug kit
    zip ties
    spare chain link
    spare tube on frame
    1-2 gels
    Unless that's a really big CO2 canister, I'd think pretty hard about having at least 2. And practicing beforehand to the point you're confident you can inflate a tire to where you want it with just one.

    Question is how far are you going, and how many other people are out there? Tube, levers, CO2, master link, and a multi-tool will get you out of 90 percent of your mishaps. I prefer a pump, just because you don't run the risk of not having more CO2 if disaster strikes again. For most popular rides (up to about 2,500 feet of climbing) I wouldn't bring much more than that and water/hydration mix.

    The moment you get somewhere off the beaten path, I'd start bulking up. If I'm riding anywhere with sudden weather changes, the space blanket or emergency bivvy comes along. If it's technical, tubeless plugs, patch kit, another tube, and the first aid kit goes in the bag. If I'm going for a really long ride and could be far from help, replacement parts go in the bag - a spare cleat, two cleat screws, a derailleur hanger, a set of brake pads, you get the idea. I should bring a shifter cable, but I've only had that break on my road bike, so it never crosses my mind for MTB rides. And for longer rides, I bring excessive amounts of electrolytes - a family member had a serious scare with hyponatremia after drinking too much water and not enough salt, so it's on all of our minds for endurance events.

  13. #13
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 5k bike 50cent legs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by AKD View Post
    Unless that's a really big CO2 canister, I'd think pretty hard about having at least 2. And practicing beforehand to the point you're confident you can inflate a tire to where you want it with just one.

    Question is how far are you going, and how many other people are out there? Tube, levers, CO2, master link, and a multi-tool will get you out of 90 percent of your mishaps. I prefer a pump, just because you don't run the risk of not having more CO2 if disaster strikes again. For most popular rides (up to about 2,500 feet of climbing) I wouldn't bring much more than that and water/hydration mix.

    The moment you get somewhere off the beaten path, I'd start bulking up. If I'm riding anywhere with sudden weather changes, the space blanket or emergency bivvy comes along. If it's technical, tubeless plugs, patch kit, another tube, and the first aid kit goes in the bag. If I'm going for a really long ride and could be far from help, replacement parts go in the bag - a spare cleat, two cleat screws, a derailleur hanger, a set of brake pads, you get the idea. I should bring a shifter cable, but I've only had that break on my road bike, so it never crosses my mind for MTB rides. And for longer rides, I bring excessive amounts of electrolytes - a family member had a serious scare with hyponatremia after drinking too much water and not enough salt, so it's on all of our minds for endurance events.
    This. Know how to use a CO2 inflator and carry 2 canisters. Don't assume you can figure it out on the trail! Also, a chain breaker is really the essential tool. If you damage your derailleur or other part of the drivetrain, and can't break the chain, you may be carrying your bike. Not fun. Most importantly, bring time. Don't go on a ride where a walk out could be in the dark. From years of deer hunting, the woods look a lot different in the dark, even when you know them. On a big epic ride, if you get lost a space blanket could save your life.

  14. #14
    Hella Olde
    Reputation: DH40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,228
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    This. Know how to use a CO2 inflator and carry 2 canisters. Don't assume you can figure it out on the trail! Also, a chain breaker is really the essential tool. If you damage your derailleur or other part of the drivetrain, and can't break the chain, you may be carrying your bike. Not fun. Most importantly, bring time. Don't go on a ride where a walk out could be in the dark. From years of deer hunting, the woods look a lot different in the dark, even when you know them. On a big epic ride, if you get lost a space blanket could save your life.
    Wolf Tooth quick-link tool for me! When they come off backorder....

  15. #15
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 5k bike 50cent legs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    Wolf Tooth quick-link tool for me! When they come off backorder....
    Same here! I use my multitool plier for quick link tool on the trail, but it's not the best for it.

  16. #16
    rox
    rox is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,386
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    This. Know how to use a CO2 inflator and carry 2 canisters. Don't assume you can figure it out on the trail! Also, a chain breaker is really the essential tool. If you damage your derailleur or other part of the drivetrain, and can't break the chain, you may be carrying your bike. Not fun. Most importantly, bring time. Don't go on a ride where a walk out could be in the dark. From years of deer hunting, the woods look a lot different in the dark, even when you know them. On a big epic ride, if you get lost a space blanket could save your life.
    this is why I carry a flashlight. a tiny 1AAA will get you pretty far and the forest is REALLY DARK at night without one. I dont take the fanny pack on epic rides so the kit in my hydration pack includes more stuff like a pump and space blanket.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    How do you deal with removable chin bars for convertible helmets with a waist pack? Ironically, some of the rides I do that are shortest (and need least amount of water) are the most technical where I want to be wearing my Super 2R.
    This might sound funky, but I recently met up with Arctic Pride for a ride and he suggested just kind of clamping my 3R chin bar around my waist as he had seen others try as opposed to strapping it to my back pack. I did it and it worked surprisingly well. I will probably continue to use this method. It's very easy. Just open it up and slide it around your waist from behind. It holds itself on very well, at least it does on me. I guess it might depend on your size.

  18. #18
    AKD
    AKD is online now
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Reputation: AKD's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,213
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Same here! I use my multitool plier for quick link tool on the trail, but it's not the best for it.
    To remove one, or to add one?

    This happens enough that you bring pliers?

    I've only had a catastrophic chain failure once (in the middle of the Golden Gate Bridge). Having said that, I'm sure I'll have another now, when I only have 10-speed links but my bikes are all 11 speed.

  19. #19
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 5k bike 50cent legs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by AKD View Post
    To remove one, or to add one?

    This happens enough that you bring pliers?

    I've only had a catastrophic chain failure once (in the middle of the Golden Gate Bridge). Having said that, I'm sure I'll have another now, when I only have 10-speed links but my bikes are all 11 speed.
    I can take a quick link off or put one on with my multitool needle nose pliers. Not ideal though.

    I've had a chain break a couple times, but mostly it's either someone in a group I'm riding with or someone on the trail. Either way I'm prepared.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    400
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogeron View Post
    This might sound funky, but I recently met up with Arctic Pride for a ride and he suggested just kind of clamping my 3R chin bar around my waist as he had seen others try as opposed to strapping it to my back pack. I did it and it worked surprisingly well. I will probably continue to use this method. It's very easy. Just open it up and slide it around your waist from behind. It holds itself on very well, at least it does on me. I guess it might depend on your size.
    I wear a size XL helmet, wouldn't consider myself fat, and I can't even imagine how this would work. Like, slide on from the side? or from the back and really stretching out the "wings"?

  21. #21
    Rhymes with fartmaster
    Reputation: Leopold Porkstacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,830
    I jumped on the fannypack wagon (from a hiatus from 1994) with my 1992 period-correct fannypack. A good friend of mine warned me against wearing knee/shin and arm pads whilst wearing spandex so as not to look like a dooshbåg…… so I gave in and acquired some “endur-bro” shorts…… naturally the fannypack came out of hibernation. In it, I keep:

    • spare innertube
    • first aid kit
    • whiskey flask
    • Gu gel
    • other miscellaneous sh¡t depending on how I feel

    Works for me.
    one by nine works just fine but single speed is all ya need

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    400
    I solved the problem of how to carry a chin bar with a pair of elastic shoe laces (Lock Laces) that I had in an old pair of trail shoes.
    What do you carry in your Norcal fanny pack?-mvimg_20180217_184448.jpg
    Thread the chinbar through each pair of loops, then pull snug. Rest the chinbar's mouth holes on the top of the water bottle to keep it from pressing against your back. When descending, tuck the tail of the lace inside the pack's elastic to keep them from flopping around.

    So far I did one 11 mile / 2300 ft ride and it felt great. Temperature was mild so I only drank 1 water bottle, but feel like for that distance even in the summer 2 will be fine. I'll definitely be using this setup for most of my rides from now on.

  23. #23
    Lusus Naturae
    Reputation: NoBalance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,873
    Last ride I went on up to Mt Umunum, I totally forgot to put my seat-back bag on, so yeah. Nothing.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sosburn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    273
    Jesus, I can't believe you guys carry so much stuff.

    I have a Dakine hip pack that i rarely wear these days, but it's 5L, including 2L of water i think, but these days i just stick a bottle on my frame and that's good enough for me.
    inside:
    Phone
    Larabar/PBJ
    car key
    Pump/multitool combo
    teeny tiny first aid kit with a roll of electrical tape for anything serious
    Trail pass incase of ranger danger

    I keep a tube/CO2/tire levers in a Dakine strap-bag-doohickey that i just strap to my frame.

    Most of the time i just wear my Giro Switchblade with the chin bar on, never really take it off unless i'm with my brother who wears a Bell Super 3R, and he carries a backpack to store the chin bar so i just throw mine in too.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 6280's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    71
    Gotta add the zip ties, the Enduro ones


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by sosburn View Post
    Jesus, I can't believe you guys carry so much stuff.

    I have a Dakine hip pack that i rarely wear these days, but it's 5L, including 2L of water i think, but these days i just stick a bottle on my frame and that's good enough for me.
    inside:
    Phone
    Larabar/PBJ
    car key
    Pump/multitool combo
    teeny tiny first aid kit with a roll of electrical tape for anything serious
    Trail pass incase of ranger danger

    I keep a tube/CO2/tire levers in a Dakine strap-bag-doohickey that i just strap to my frame.

    Most of the time i just wear my Giro Switchblade with the chin bar on, never really take it off unless i'm with my brother who wears a Bell Super 3R, and he carries a backpack to store the chin bar so i just throw mine in too.
    I can't wear my chin bar while climbing for long. Makes me hyperventilate. Kinda weird, but definitely a real thing. Maybe it's my fat face squishing up and slowing air flow. I wish I could just leave it on.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: patski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    845
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho View Post
    SPD cleats and bolts
    I've been on two rides in the last year where someone needed an SPD bolt and someone else had one, who knew....

    These are the smallest/lightest pliers I've found, in case you need to put in a tube and the valve nut is too tight.... Swiss+Tech ST53100

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sosburn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogeron View Post
    I can't wear my chin bar while climbing for long. Makes me hyperventilate. Kinda weird, but definitely a real thing. Maybe it's my fat face squishing up and slowing air flow. I wish I could just leave it on.
    i think i understand. I usually don't strap in or tighten the the rock-loc system, the strap makes me feel really hot with or without the chin bar.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    182
    I ride with a Henty Enduro now, packed with this:

    1.5L water in reservoir
    Shock Pump
    Tire Pump
    Topeak digital pressure gauge
    Topeak multi-tool (chain breaker etc.)
    Small ring of allen keys
    Kershaw Shuffle
    Extra Co2 canister
    Brake caliper wedge (small piece of stainless)
    Spare chain master link
    Wallet/Phone/Keys etc.
    Ziploc of bandages and other things my wife makes me carry
    Sony A6000 w/ kit lens (16-50mm)
    2x spare batteries + 2x ND filters for Camera
    Microfiber cloth
    2x gu packets
    2x shot block packets
    Windbreaker if it's possibly cold/windy/wet

    Then I also gorilla tape a tube to my frame, have a water bottle/cage, and stuff a Co2 filler/canister, more snacks, and another multitool into my frame bag. Gorilla tape is wrapped to excess so I can just peel it off and use some if I need.

    Mix and match as needed, I figure I have all I need w/o a pack if needed.

  30. #30
    Over it
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,565
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    I've been on two rides in the last year where someone needed an SPD bolt and someone else had one, who knew...
    You can also use a bolt from a water bottle cage in a pinch.
    Nice e-bike! (sorry about your penis)

    The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

  31. #31
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 5k bike 50cent legs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    You can also use a bolt from a water bottle cage in a pinch.
    Flat pedals solve this problem as well!

  32. #32
    Over it
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,565
    ^^ My world is not flat!

    But I am going to try it again now that Lake Cunningham is opening.

    Btw, it's a hip pack--or Enduro™ pack. This isn't the 90's.
    Nice e-bike! (sorry about your penis)

    The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

  33. #33
    fc
    fc is online now
    honcho Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    29,929
    Quote Originally Posted by canadianjerkey View Post
    I ride with a Henty Enduro now, packed with this:

    1.5L water in reservoir
    Shock Pump
    Tire Pump
    Topeak digital pressure gauge
    Topeak multi-tool (chain breaker etc.)
    Small ring of allen keys
    Kershaw Shuffle
    Extra Co2 canister
    Brake caliper wedge (small piece of stainless)
    Spare chain master link
    Wallet/Phone/Keys etc.
    Ziploc of bandages and other things my wife makes me carry
    Sony A6000 w/ kit lens (16-50mm)
    2x spare batteries + 2x ND filters for Camera
    Microfiber cloth
    2x gu packets
    2x shot block packets
    Windbreaker if it's possibly cold/windy/wet

    Then I also gorilla tape a tube to my frame, have a water bottle/cage, and stuff a Co2 filler/canister, more snacks, and another multitool into my frame bag. Gorilla tape is wrapped to excess so I can just peel it off and use some if I need.

    Mix and match as needed, I figure I have all I need w/o a pack if needed.
    Got a photo of that? How you fit that all in?

    What are the pros/cons of that pack?
    IPA will save America

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Got a photo of that? How you fit that all in?

    What are the pros/cons of that pack?
    I'll photo tonight, I dig the pack though.

    Pro: harness support does great, and keeps the bite valve in a familiar place. I can wear it with a neck brace (why I originally got). Molle is pretty neat, I use a little pouch for my phone so it doesn't lose reception. It's also survived one fun little get-off at Pacifica and doesn't look any worse for wear. Easy access to everything.

    Con: I need to tighten as I drink water (might be related to how much I pack). No main open pouch means I have to be judicious with what I carry and how I pack (ex. lens has to come off the camera body).

  35. #35
    Anytime. Anywhere.
    Reputation: Travis Bickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,562
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    You can also use a bolt from a water bottle cage in a pinch.
    Brake rotor bolt.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

  36. #36
    Anytime. Anywhere.
    Reputation: Travis Bickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,562
    I used a Palos briefly and carried water, pump, tube, tool, quick link, and maybe some food and a vest. I haven't used any kind of pack during the past year and it would have to be something special to entice me back to a fanny.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

  37. #37
    rox
    rox is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,386
    Jesus I cant believe you like hiking back to your car so much that its not worth 200g of extra insurance. I do have both smaller and larger kits depending on the ride. shorter or closer ones I dont even bring the fanny pack but thats not what this thread was about

    Quote Originally Posted by sosburn View Post
    Jesus, I can't believe you guys carry so much stuff.

    I have a Dakine hip pack that i rarely wear these days, but it's 5L, including 2L of water i think, but these days i just stick a bottle on my frame and that's good enough for me.
    inside:
    Phone
    Larabar/PBJ
    car key
    Pump/multitool combo
    teeny tiny first aid kit with a roll of electrical tape for anything serious
    Trail pass incase of ranger danger

    I keep a tube/CO2/tire levers in a Dakine strap-bag-doohickey that i just strap to my frame.

    Most of the time i just wear my Giro Switchblade with the chin bar on, never really take it off unless i'm with my brother who wears a Bell Super 3R, and he carries a backpack to store the chin bar so i just throw mine in too.

  38. #38
    wretch
    Reputation: Truckee Trash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,903
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Got a photo of that? How you fit that all in?

    What are the pros/cons of that pack?
    I've been looking for a pack like this for a long time. Somewhere in between a Ski Patrol vest and a Military Molle harness system - I think i'm sold! Pic lifted from their website - BLACK CAMO!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What do you carry in your Norcal fanny pack?-screen-shot-2018-02-12-12.48.53-pm.png  


  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    182
    Unpacked (please forgive shitty camera phone)

    What do you carry in your Norcal fanny pack?-img_20180220_203725558_ll.jpg

    Packed up (still shitty camera phone)

    What do you carry in your Norcal fanny pack?-img_20180220_204316036_ll.jpg

    All the baubles and bits together. Molle working great for phone pouch.

    What do you carry in your Norcal fanny pack?-dsc00572.jpg

    I was a bit worried about things bouncing out, but so far everything has stayed put, even through jumps and rock gardens.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sosburn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by rox View Post
    Jesus I cant believe you like hiking back to your car so much that its not worth 200g of extra insurance. I do have both smaller and larger kits depending on the ride. shorter or closer ones I dont even bring the fanny pack but thats not what this thread was about
    200g of extra insurance? what are you on about? don't need to hike back if i have supplies to fix anything that keeps the bike from rolling.
    most of the stuff i listed can also be mounted on my frame/put in my pockets at this point, idk what else i would really need to bring at this point. these days I only really wear the hip pack when i go to demo, so i have enough water for 2-3 laps and maybe a sandwich.

    Quote Originally Posted by canadianjerkey View Post
    Unpacked (please forgive shitty camera phone)

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180220_203725558_LL.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	469.9 KB 
ID:	1184011

    Packed up (still shitty camera phone)

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180220_204316036_LL.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	487.9 KB 
ID:	1184012

    All the baubles and bits together. Molle working great for phone pouch.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00572.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	271.5 KB 
ID:	1184010

    I was a bit worried about things bouncing out, but so far everything has stayed put, even through jumps and rock gardens.
    That's pretty cool but i would 100% be too scared of falling and breaking the camera.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by sosburn View Post
    That's pretty cool but i would 100% be too scared of falling and breaking the camera.
    Yeah, it's definitely crossed my mind, though anecdotally the camera is much more at risk from my wife unpacking the car than being in the hip bag!

    And while the A6000 isn't exactly cheap, it's also not nearly as expensive as say, an A7Sii. It's a risk I'm willing to take for fun pictures every now and then

  42. #42
    wretch
    Reputation: Truckee Trash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,903
    Quote Originally Posted by canadianjerkey View Post
    Yeah, it's definitely crossed my mind, though anecdotally the camera is much more at risk from my wife unpacking the car than being in the hip bag!

    And while the A6000 isn't exactly cheap, it's also not nearly as expensive as say, an A7Sii. It's a risk I'm willing to take for fun pictures every now and then
    Whats your go to lens for riding and all around use? I've got the 6500 and am looking for something 'packable'...

  43. #43
    fc
    fc is online now
    honcho Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    29,929
    Quote Originally Posted by canadianjerkey View Post
    Unpacked (please forgive shitty camera phone)

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180220_203725558_LL.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	469.9 KB 
ID:	1184011

    Packed up (still shitty camera phone)

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180220_204316036_LL.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	487.9 KB 
ID:	1184012

    All the baubles and bits together. Molle working great for phone pouch.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00572.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	271.5 KB 
ID:	1184010

    I was a bit worried about things bouncing out, but so far everything has stayed put, even through jumps and rock gardens.
    Thank you. I'm reviewing this pack. Ok to use your pics?

    Any comments, strengths weaknesses? It doesn't fit me well like the Bontrager Rapid Pack (stretchy material) but it dows the job pretty good. I haven't really put anything on the upper compartments.
    IPA will save America

  44. #44
    Hella Olde
    Reputation: DH40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,228
    Got an email that my Wolf Tooth shipped. It's probably overkill but it has other uses as well.

  45. #45
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 5k bike 50cent legs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    2,033
    I love the Bontrager pack. Now if they could design a hip pack that doesn't make you look fat in photos!

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Trash View Post
    Whats your go to lens for riding and all around use? I've got the 6500 and am looking for something 'packable'...
    I've just been using the kit lens, since when it powers down it is small and packable. I've thought about picking up a pancake lens, but often I like having a bit more length for photos. ND filters are cheap for it (40.5mm) and it's still got Optical SteadyShot which is helpful.

    https://www.amazon.com/Sony-SELP1650.../dp/B00BPBHX30

    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Thank you. I'm reviewing this pack. Ok to use your pics?

    Any comments, strengths weaknesses? It doesn't fit me well like the Bontrager Rapid Pack (stretchy material) but it dows the job pretty good. I haven't really put anything on the upper compartments.
    Feel free, I'm also happy to take better pics (maybe actually think about lighting and have a more contrasting BG).

    I think the biggest thing about the pack is that there isn't any "main compartment" which forced me to rethink how I organize it. Or rather, I had to actually organize the pack instead of just haphazardly tossing all my stuff in a big pocket. It does mean I can't carry as much (no more stuffing the gimbal and gopro JUST IN CASE), but I have amazingly easy access to tools and gear when I need. It does carries everything I would normally carry.

    The reason I got this pack was so that I could wear my Atlas Air neck brace with a pack. It works well for exactly that, where a backpack would push the brace to far forward, the Henty doesn't interfere. So I would call that a strength! In general I've really enjoyed having a hip pack, when it's snugged up having the weight low is very comfortable. I can move around, throw the bike, jump, manual, and just generally goof around without the pack bouncing around (a problem I often had with backpacks).

    The main weakness I find has to do with the belt feeling slightly loose over the course of a longer ride. This happens usually when the reservoir has depleted from the full 2L. Where my old backpack would start with 3L feeling like a tube on my back and get more comfortable as I drink, the Henty gets a little looser around my waist. The harness helps keep it from being un-rideable, but I still stop to tighten it when it loosens. I don't have enough experience to say whether this is a common issue with hip packs.

  47. #47
    rox
    rox is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,386
    Quote Originally Posted by rox View Post
    16 and 20g co2s with inflator head
    tubeless valve stem with core
    cleat bolt
    10 11 and 12s powerlinks
    duct tape
    1aaa emergency flashlight
    tire levers
    tire boot
    multitool with knife and chain breaker
    zip ties
    whistle
    patches
    tubeless plugs
    derailleur cable
    pills - alleve, advil, benadryl, caffeine, endurolytes
    change for a $20
    antiseptic wipe
    sunscreen wipe
    insect repellent wipe
    wet wipe
    butterfly closures
    safety pin

    it sounds like a lot of stuff but its actually pretty compact and lightweight. those 4 different kinds of individually packaged single use wipes cover a lot of situations. probably the part of that kit that gets used most often is the advil. and I hand out maybe 2 derailleur cables a month to needy riders and they are so easy to carry
    if you think this is too much gear here it is in pictures

    What do you carry in your Norcal fanny pack?-img_20180221_085430.jpg

    What do you carry in your Norcal fanny pack?-img_20180221_085618.jpg

  48. #48
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 5k bike 50cent legs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by rox View Post
    if you think this is too much gear here it is in pictures

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180221_085430.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	1184091

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180221_085618.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	1184092
    Cash is always good. Especially in the backcountry when you never know who you might have to pay!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-27-2017, 12:35 PM
  2. Enduro Fanny Pack aka "Hip Pack"
    By roknfnrol in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-30-2014, 07:07 AM
  3. Fanny/ lumbar pack suggestions
    By allroy71 in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-05-2011, 08:03 AM
  4. Found Jansport fanny pack
    By Jersey_Pete in forum New York - New Jersey
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-28-2011, 02:30 PM
  5. Fanny Pack?
    By agu in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 05-06-2011, 05:45 PM

Members who have read this thread: 179

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.