mtbr member
    Jul 2007

What bike to buy for Anadel?

I am new to mountain biking and am living relatively near Anadel state park now and want to begin riding. I have been looking on Craigslist and have seen some good looking Santa Cruz bikes and I also like Specialized. I am looking to spend somewhere between $600-$800. I definitely would like a hardtail although would prefer dual suspension for a little more if it is a good setup.

Does anybody have any recommendations or bikes that the feel would fit the job?

Thanks in Advance,
    Peter

ballbuster

You can ride anything out there....

Quote Originally Posted by tabascoh1
    I am new to mountain biking and am living relatively near Anadel state park now and want to begin riding. I have been looking on Craigslist and have seen some good looking Santa Cruz bikes and I also like Specialized. I am looking to spend somewhere between $600-$800. I definitely would like a hardtail although would prefer dual suspension for a little more if it is a good setup.

Does anybody have any recommendations or bikes that the feel would fit the job?

Thanks in Advance,
    Peter
    .... as long as you have good legs and good wrists. I ride my Stumpjumper out there and love it. Good XC/Trailbike. I have an '03 which has 3.5" of travel in back and 4" up front. The newer ones have more travel, but seem to still climb well. Steve Wolf has a newer 5" Stumpy, and seems to dig it (until he had to give up his bike temporarily because of knee surgery, get better Wolf!).

I also rode my Redline Monocog 29er out there and had a blast, but my wrists hurt because I was pounding down the descents too fast... I was having way too much fun at the expense of my joints.

I say look for a bike that can climb. You can ride a DH bike up there, but I don't think it would be warranted, and you would just pay for it on the climbs. I say shoot for a sub 30 pound suspension bike with 3-5" of travel... something that climbs and pedals well.

Last time I was up there, I saw some guys on 9" DH bikes climbing with their full face helmets off, and high fiveing each other about making it up what I thought was an easy climb. I thought it was kinda silly, but that's thier thing, not mine.

mtbr member
    I ride an AM/FR bike [Cannondale Prophet] and it works well there. Personally I don't climb much; push up mostly and hit the DH portions of the Burmas and Lawndale. Good stuff. There are rocky portions of many trails so full suspension is a nice benefit.

Shocks?, Pegs?... Lucky!

anything

a'del is very forgiving. You can ride a cross bike, a full rigid, I ride a 26" Singlespeed, and have never come close to bottoming out my 80mm suspension fork.
    It's a real Cross country type of place, some climbing, some descending, lotsa fun. Nothing too technical once you get the lines figured out.
    Whatever you do, get quality components, I can never stress this too much. Spending all your money on a suspension frame and having crappy brakes is a recipe for unhappiness. Get good brakes and a good drivetrain before you get a full suspension rig.
    Good luck!!!

aka dan51
    Steel hardtail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    I ride my 6" Evo out there a lot and it's overkill for the place, but it pedals really well, so it's just more weight I'm pushing around. It's not like I'm fighting the design trying to ride uphill.
    If you are new to mountain biking and want to spend under $800, I'd go hardtail for sure. I rode a fully rigid Rockhopper up in Annadel for a couple years while I was getting back into mountain biking, and I hit every trail in the park and rode them hard.
    With the Evo, I just take different lines and ride them much faster.

As for recommendations on bikes, I'd be tempted to get something like the Iron horse warrior from randall scott cycles and upgrade the fork to a fox vanilla rlc or something like that.

http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id....&category=4959

My bud just picked one up and it's a pretty decent frame that has some really solid components on it. The stock fork is crap though. It will work, but as soon as you ride something better you'll be wanting to upgrade.

Good luck, maybe I'll see you out there!

Lusus Naturae
    Pretty much any bike with some front suspension is good enough. Just dont' go out and get a huge bike with spring suspension, etc that you will find on craigslist most likely. If you want a hardtail, you can get a pretty good one NEW for 600-800 bucks. You can get a rather nice 2-4 yr old full suspension bike on craigslist for the same price.

Blanco
    Nov 2004
    I rode it on a rigid. A decent hardtail is fine.

There are plenty of rides that call for full suspension, but I don't think Annadel is one of them unless you have a bad back.