mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Were to ride SS in Santa Cruz

I'm in Santa Cruz for work until the beginning of Aug. I brought my SS 29er. I was wondering if you could give me some ride suggestions? I've ridden lower Nisene a bunch, as well as a few rides out at Wilder. UCSC is great but sooooo confusing if you're not a local. I'm ideally looking for a 1.5-2.5 hour ride. I don't mind climbing if the payoff is worth it. Anything with some flow and tech is welcome. I'm not interested in big jumps, but don't mind 1-3 footers. Anything bigger is too tough on the hard tail.

Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    You could combine the new Emma McCreary trail with a loop in Wilder.

tastes like chicken
    Delaveaga Park is a fantastic single speed ride. City of Santa Cruz : DeLaveaga Park

100% forested single track with some great technical SS challenges and ledgy trails. You can follow the trails and they basically lead to "Top of the World" - which is a great view of Monterey Bay. If you still to the legal trails then it's hard to get lost. It's not a big park but if you can spent a couple of hours and do the entire trail system.

Heck, I haven't ridden SS at DeLa in many, many years. I would love to join you if I can make it work and give you the grand tour. PM me when the time gets closer.

tastes like chicken

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    I'll second Ryan's suggestion--that would be a good start. I've only been riding out there for 3 months, and I've just started thinking about taking out the SS on some of the milder trails, but there are some super fun routes/loops in UC Wilder. I'm free on Thursday if you're interested or most weekends are good. Shoot me a PM. I also wouldn't mind jumping in on the DeLa ride!

Btw, it's a little farther, but Saratoga Gap is an excellent SS ride.

Doug
    Last edited by dirtvert; 06-11-2013 at 09:14 AM.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    May 2005
    There's no reason you can't ride single speed at Soquel. I recommend doing Ridge trail to Sawpit. The long fire road climb back to the start is a pain, but it's a pain on a geared bike too.

NedwannaB
    Uhhmmm, Demo!?!?

Ditto to Thor29, if you're a regular SS'r no prob. Definitely worth the climb. And I actually like coming back out on the SS vs gears too. At least I think I did.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Anyone know what the grade up to Demo from Aptos is like? It seems like it would be a great SS climb from elevation profile. Long but not steep.
    Previously known as mttamrnr.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by etuck View Post
    Anyone know what the grade up to Demo from Aptos is like? It seems like it would be a great SS climb from elevation profile. Long but not steep.
    It's pretty mild with one short steepish section. I don't ride SS but I would think it's doable.

Definitely long though. You're in the same position for what seems like forever.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    There's no reason you can't ride single speed at Soquel. I recommend doing Ridge trail to Sawpit. The long fire road climb back to the start is a pain, but it's a pain on a geared bike too.
    Yup - Demo on a SS is fun fer sure.

I can still do it geared at 32X20 (29'er) all all outta shape and fat and stuff (it makes me sad, but I can still do it ). It's around 12 miles and 2500 footies...only one steep'ish area..
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

Let's ride SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    Yup - Demo on a SS is fun fer sure.

I can still do it geared at 32X20 (29'er) all all outta shape and fat and stuff (it makes me sad, but I can still do it ). It's around 12 miles and 2500 footies...only one steep'ish area..
    I'm thinking you can't do the soquel wall on your 32x20 right now. A pint of beer says so. ;-)

singletrack bound
    SS is good all around Santa Cruz Co. Nothing too big not to bring it out!
    Aptos to Rosalia/Demo is doable. Just a steep section after Sand Point that will squeeze you for a few minutes but all good after that.
    Last edited by Tone No Balone; 06-11-2013 at 09:06 PM.
    Sorrel Seeker !!

mtbr member
    Wilder and UCSC has a nice variety of trails that I'll make a nice loop of on my SS.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanMTB View Post
    You could combine the new Emma McCreary trail with a loop in Wilder.
    I rode this today. It was a lot of fun. The down hill is a hoot.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho View Post
    I'm thinking you can't do the soquel wall on your 32x20 right now. A pint of beer says so. ;-)
    pushing is 1 of the 3 speeds of SS'ing.

hrmph!
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Yup, you do that pushing thing a lot.

Oh, and DeLa is a good spot for single speeding, only one or two spots that are a bit of a grind. Still working on trying to complete those successfully (steep, rocky/rooty climbs, but nothing too long)

Ariolimax columbianus
    Bring some breadcrumbs....go get lost in the forest. You'll find your way around, eventually.

mtbr member
    It's about 4% average from Soquel RD. Maybe 6% average from Loma Prieta to Sand Point and about 7% from Sand Point to the entrance to Demo. There are sections between Loma Prieta and Sand Point that are 12-15% and between Sand Point and Demo the deepest section is about 24%.
    Based on on my Garmin but when you do the math (2500' elevation and about 2700' climbing) it makes roughly sense.
    The section of "the wall" about 1.5 miles up from Sand Point is pretty steep by my standards but also short. I have seen a SS rider do it. But then I have also seen a guy fly by me there while grinning at me -- I think the latter was harder.
    All of Wilder should be ok for SS. All the legal fire roads of UCSC are easy for SS. U-Con should be short and sweet for anyone. It averages about 9%. The not so legal UCSC stuff is all over the place. I sometimes ride the fireroads of Big Basin for their beauty and solitude. Also great SS territory.