mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Went for my first ride the other day...

Went mountain biking for the first time on Thursday and I gotta say; it was fun! I bought a used Santa Cruz Heckler a few weeks ago and I've been itching to take it off the pavement. Decided to run the Salmon Falls trail in El Dorado Hills and I really enjoyed it. I walked some of the uphills but I went in knowing that I would probably have too. I really need to work on understanding how to use the gears effectively because I'm sure if I was in the right gear I could have ridden some of the uphills that I walked but I'll continue to work on that. I'd post pics but my post count isn't high enough yet haha. I'm coming into this with literally no experience as I'm not transitioning from road biking and haven't ridden a bike regularly in years, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Definitely fun, definitely exhausting and I can't wait to get out there again.

I'd like to go again tomorrow but I'd like to go when it's not so busy as I don't want to be "that guy" that slows everyone down. I'm hoping tomorrow that the trails won't be as busy since it's the Super Bowl and all. Trying to decide on a trail to ride tomorrow, any recommendations? There's a trail off of folsom blvd isn't there? I don't remember seeing it in the list of trails but maybe I missed it...

Laker and a Trail Blazer

Went for my first ride the other day...

Kick ass!!! Four years ago I went on my first and felt the same way about shifting. You will get lots of great Internet help here, but saddle time (time on your bike) was my best teacher.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Decided to ride Auburn Ravine today and had another awesome time! Wasn't too crowded, some hikers but I didn't see too many bikers out there. I think I finally got the hang of using my climbing gears, now I just need to condition myself haha. I took a wrong turn somewhere I think because I ended up "riding" up some road until I reached the Confluence trailhead and never rode through the tunnel that I've seen in videos and pics. Anyway, had a another great time and I can't wait to get out there again!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Never worry about being "that guy", there is no such thing. Be aware of your surroundings, yield when safe to do so, and have some kick ass fun.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Just go out and have fun. You will suffer at first, but your strength and endurance will grow a lot after a few rides. The Heckler is a great bike. That's the bike that got me serious about mountain biking again 11 years ago.

THAT guy
    Sounds like you're close by, if you ever want to ride send me a PM. Always fun riding with new people! I know, atleast for me, when I started riding, it was hard finding new places to ride because I knew next to no one that was into it.
    Bikes:
    2010 Spec Enduro comp.
    2013 Specialized Demo 8 (build)

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Likewise! It'd be nice to ride with somebody since I've been going by myself haha.

Random thought: I was surprised at how stable the bike was. Their were a few times where I felt like I was going to wreck but the bike stayed up. It's amazing how capable these things can be! And I'm freaking tired haha.