Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    swag ho Administrator

Welcome to norcal's cornering clinic

This is how ya do it. Lean on inside bar. Weight on outside foot. Torso and head forward into the turn. Eyes wayy up front.

This is how not to do it.

The reward

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I know what you mean about the "eyes way up front" thing. If I look down right in front of me, I slow way down.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Photo #1 - Thats bad ass skills right there.

#AINTNOBODYGOTTIMEFERDAT
    It's good for learning cornering skills to wash out like that. It's like learning how to wheelie, you're only going to find your balance point one way and that is to flip the bike over a couple of times. Same applies to leaning into turns, you'll find that balance point, but you'll have to crash a couple times while you're at it.
    YouTube | #1 Rule for California mtb: If you're having fun, it's illegal.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Biker View Post
    Photo #1 - Thats bad ass skills right there.
    That's an old dude journalist from New Zealand. It was pissing me off that I could not keep up with him in the corners. But when I see this photo, I concede.

fc

thien™
    Apr 2007
    n00b.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Is this the Better ride skills camp?
    Bend, OR

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    That shot says it all!! Also getting foreward on the bike. It looks like his chin is over the stem. A girl rider taught me about over leaning the bike. The shot shows that perfectly. That's been huge for me. If you feel like you aren't going to make the corner lay the bike over more between your legs. That adds a whole new dimention to turning a bike. It sure is fun making a corner with both tires sliding and not hitting the brakes.

CSC
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    Also read/know to point your hips into the turn (from a Pinkbike vid?)...the exact opposite from skiing, which is why it took me so long to figure it out! Give it a shot...it really helps with the "finding your balance point" thing, i.e, learning how to "drift" the bike while cornering on the loose stuff. Also helpful on snow (both to learn and to apply conering skills)

The first photo really illustrates this point.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Man, I need to work on my technique. I always think I am going to wash out but the bike is actually holding fine. I'll remember this picture in my head next time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    is there videos with good advices about riding technique on the internet?

CSC
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    NSMB.com: Hey Coach! Ep. 1 - Cornering Video - Pinkbike

Enjoy...kinda funny, too, haha

Also, if you click on the "Videos" tab at the top of the page, there are TONS more.

Ride on

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CSC View Post
    NSMB.com: Hey Coach! Ep. 1 - Cornering Video - Pinkbike

Enjoy...kinda funny, too, haha

Also, if you click on the "Videos" tab at the top of the page, there are TONS more.

Ride on
    Thanks for the link. This one was good also.
    Cornering Video - Pinkbike

Urban Ninja
    braaaaap noises help
    For Sale: EPIC

Send it!

www.rayscyclebicycles.com

swag ho Administrator
    Here's a good video I found the other day. Please feel free to embed other good videos.

fc

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    thanks, i'll try that technique as soon as the rain stop and the forest dries a little.

Save Jesus
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    This is how ya do it. Lean on inside bar. Weight on outside foot. Torso and head forward into the turn. Eyes wayy up front.
    Have a berm handy.

I like mtn biking, too
    Thanks fc - fast cornering is the hardest thing, I think - ok maybe not harder than doing double backflips, lol. But practicing some figure-eight drills in the street/parking lot that gene hamilton gave (below) has helped me get the counter-steering effect, especially helps loosen you up enough to "get" the bike-body separation bit of getting your hips leaning one way and bike the other. Steep and loose stuff really kills my cornering-practice motivation though - I need some drills to get the mind/fear out of the way!

Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

NONDURO
    I still need to master this technique if I want to not have to rely on the climbs alone to get podiums.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    this one's a very useful pointer too

How-to: Learn to Corner Better - Video - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jeng View Post
    braaaaap noises help
    After being scolded by a group of hikers from the city for not having bells or horns on our bikes we make that sound at all times. Not really but that was strange.

Let's Ride!
    Not that I'm amazing at cornering, but I also like to spend time in the mountains on my Ducati and the cornering videos and tutorials for motorcycles hold true for mtn bikes too.

Let's Ride!
    Actually, every time I ride the mountain bike I gain more confidence on the street bike. You use the suspension more with a Mountain Bike and the way suspensions are tuned on motorcycles you don't throw it around as much. Number one rule on the motorcyle is to always look through the corner....it's a little like the saying in golf "If you look down to see a good swing you never will" ...... If you look down at your wheels to watch yourself corner it just wont work...........

swag ho Administrator
    Cool. I started this thread just to mock myself but it looks like some learning is available here.

Here's the Diamondback video:

Flow-Tonic from Diamondback Bicycles on Vimeo.

Diamondback DF5 Rider and Fluidride Instruction owner Simon Lawton works with Kyle Thomas on foot work.

Another big area that hasn't been covered is weighting and unweighting. Setting up for corners then pushing your weight down into the tires is another dimension of technique. Spending time at a pump track seems really good for this.

fc

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Throwing the outside elbow up and forward is what makes that technique work for me. Almost like throwing a football block. And the wider your bars are the better it's gonna work.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast