Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    since we live in the Bay Area, I would suggest working on your pump track skills

At whose house? What kind of beer do they like?

/Since we live in the Bay Area, we can drive out of the Bay Area and ride Elk Grove, Aptos...........

mtbr member
    Hi, I just joined the discussion.
    I'm in SF... and ready to ride!
    When, where?
    DirtySixer36er, Ventana ElCapitan, Soma Smoothie 66cm, Trek T100, ChoiceCollective36er.
    DirtySixer
    36er

mtbr member
    Cornering Pop Quiz:

Whats the different technique used in body positioning/cornering technique between these two corners

Corner A: Tight radius, sharp corner, coming with with moderate speed, slightly bermed up, hard to see exit.

Corner B: Wide Radius, swooping corner, coming off faster section, no berm, slightly off camber, can see see a little bit of exit

How would you hit each corner and what would you do differently between the two?

mtbr member
    Crickets

mtbr member
    A: I hit my head on the tree on the inside of the turn, because I slowed down too much and got more grip than I expected when I waited the inside bar, rotated my hips, looked for the corner exit and pulled on the outside bar on corner exit.
    B: I hit the bushes on the outside of the corner exit, because I carried too much speed, didn't wait the outside pedal, and low sided because I hadnít tried to evenly weight the tires and keep the bike more leaned over than my body.

CSC
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    A: rail that berm! Watching the pros, they tend to let their back wheel lock a bit to help with pivoting the bike through the turn without sacrificing much speed. Note: They are not locking their wheel before the turn and dragging it through the turn, but rather forcing it to break loose about halfway through the turn.
    I'd bet that a weighted outside pedal and rotated hips is enough...the berm soaks up a lot of the drifting potential.

B: You could come into a turn like this with most of your original speed...just give yourself some space to slide as you exit. Since we can see the exit as we enter the turn, we can maintain speed. A more active, i.e centered and higher on the pedals, body position will allow you to react to any developing slides, as well as hold the bike through the turn.

How 'bout this one: High speed off-camber straight with wet roots?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CSC View Post
    How 'bout this one: High speed off-camber straight with wet roots?
    Gap the section

I like mtn biking, too
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody View Post
    Cornering Pop Quiz:

Whats the different technique used in body positioning/cornering technique between these two corners

Corner A: Tight radius, sharp corner, coming with with moderate speed, slightly bermed up, hard to see exit.

Corner B: Wide Radius, swooping corner, coming off faster section, no berm, slightly off camber, can see see a little bit of exit

How would you hit each corner and what would you do differently between the two?
    Well, for starters, in all situations: neutral position, looking toward the exit, get any braking done before the turn, not in the turn.

Here are my guesses, given the details of each situation:
    A: pedals level (due to berm) - treat as slowspeed switchback, not high-speed cornering technique.
    B. outside pedal down (no berm) - swing wide before the turn, cut across the apex and swing wide out of the turn (due to off camber), lean hips toward outside, maybe countersteer (push down on inside handlebar)

and of course ... Practice practice practice What would your suggestions be?
    Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

CSC
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shredchic View Post
    Well, for starters, in all situations: neutral position, looking toward the exit, get any braking done before the turn, not in the turn.

A: pedals level (due to berm) - treat as slowspeed switchback, not high-speed cornering technique.
    I'd still have my outer pedal down...no reason to switch up pedal tech through a sharp bermed-up turn.

Mountain Bike Tips: How To Ride A Berm - YouTube

Sweeping berms, yes, keep your feet level.

I like mtn biking, too
    Quote Originally Posted by CSC View Post
    I'd still have my outer pedal down...no reason to switch up pedal tech through a sharp bermed-up turn.

Mountain Bike Tips: How To Ride A Berm - YouTube

Sweeping berms, yes, keep your feet level.
    Oh, ok - you just don't want to whack the berm with the pedal, of course. But if it's a very low berm, it should be ok.
    Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

mtbr member
    you can ride a berm either way, but usually you don't need an outside pedal down. I still do it out of habit often.

mtbr member
    Corner A I would stay slightly neutral on the bike, slightly biased foward, feet level. I would look for something to pump off of, scrub some speed and then pump the corner hard and quick, using whatever bit of real estate I can to push my front tire in, to change direction, looking for a quick turn and to boost exit speed, with maybe a pedal stroke out of it.

Corner B I would come in hot and possibly a bit tight with my outside foot down, and crouch low with some weight over the front. Looking to carry momemntum through the corner. Looking through it pushing the bike into the turn, keeping body slightly upright. Leting the bike drift mid corner to exit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    That was intentional bro. It's from my upcoming dvd.... seconds before disaster.
    part 2: mtbr bend oregon slalom course - YouTube

fc
    Oh man. Thanks for sharing some of your crashes.

I thought I was the only one who spilled out!

Downhill Noob
    Dec 2012
    thanks for all the videos, super helpfull

Chris Bling
    This is a great thread to bring back! Who doesn't need better cornering technique??!!! Tons of good vids and info.

Thanks guys!
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

Crazed Country Rebel

Welcome to norcal's cornering clinic

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406993241.209604.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  15.9 KB
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

swag ho Administrator
    Yep, this thread is very important, as evidenced by the Rider Down thread.

This is the time to really focus on equipment and technique since confidence is high in mid-summer and conditions are the trickiest/shittiest.

fc
    IPA will save America

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9