Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBMX View Post
    Heh, well, if you wanna rail corners like Massey, you can. Shameless plug for a friend: Bikeskills Bay Area Mountain Bike Skills Instruction
    That is really the next step. Take a class or get a coach. Feel free to recommend good skills/cornering classes.

fc

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    It's sad how there are thousands of riders who aren't interested in improving. These cornering tips are so easy to get down and add so much to the riding experience. I just turned 50 and want to get a little better every ride. Not because I race but to have more fun. Carrying more speed and holding momentum make riding a breeze.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Felt it!

Thanks, good stuff! Tried it yesterday. Easy to do and smooth. Felt like my usual method with exaggerated inside grip push, lean in, torso turn, outside elbow lift. Old dogs CAN learn!

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBMX View Post
    Heh, well, if you wanna rail corners like Massey, you can. Shameless plug for a friend: Bikeskills Bay Area Mountain Bike Skills Instruction
    They just had one this past Sunday @ Tamarancho. I'm not sure who instructed though. I'm due for another class, but really want my injuries to heal up before I go in to get the full benefit of it....otherwise it's like watching videos on the internet.

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    I want to go around some corners fast. I think I'll hit up ye old demo this weekend or next!

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by bayareamtnbiker View Post
    Thanks, good stuff! Tried it yesterday. Easy to do and smooth. Felt like my usual method with exaggerated inside grip push, lean in, torso turn, outside elbow lift. Old dogs CAN learn!
    This is the key. Look for it and feel it. Open your mind and you will learn. For a decade, I've been getting faster by taking more risks and getting more familiar with the trail. But that's not really learning better technique. If you seek and find the cornering traction, you will be safer and faster.

fc
    Last edited by francois; 07-23-2012 at 09:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Step 1:

Ride with one of these guys. Observe. Ask questions.

Drink beer.

Weed, Hauer, Massey.
    ...Or watch them ride by at least. As nice and friendly as those thre guys are, they would probably, actually wait for you, so you could see them ride, that is if there wasn't a fistfull of dollars on the line. And as sketchy as that race was, the term "pro" is fitting for each of them as fast as their times were.
    I learn something every time watching either of those guys ride or race.

props.
    - .... . / .. -.. .. --- - ... / .... .- ...- . / - .- -.- . -. / --- ...- . .-.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Went out this evening and put some of this to practice,...what a difference. Had an absolute blast, this is one of many reasons why I love Mountain Biking.

PRETENDURO
    Tried out some more aggressive cornering techniques today at CCCX #8. I think I am just a tad faster through the loose off-camber turns now but not too much faster.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Save Jesus
    What is the difference between pushing on the inside grip vs pulling on the outside grip?
    Also, is not either of these just putting an unnecessary torque on the handlebar?
    If riding in a straight line (for example only) you can see that pushing on one grip and pulling on the other doesn't really accomplish anything.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    If you stand on your outside pedal and lean the bike over between your legs you have to torque the bars to keep the bike layed over. Try it in a straight line on the street. It's much harder for me to lift the outside bar than try to pull the inside bar grip off. When I get the bike all set up in the corner I tense my core muscles and lift the outside bar. I got some great practice on the Truckee Super D last week. There must be fifty sweet berms on that DH! They're all made by motos so the flow is insane.

swag ho Administrator
    Jay Hoots and Shandro said they will show me the way. I will report back

fc

Let's Ride!
    I swear cornering is like golf for me..........I get a few great shots then bogey for a while.......hehe, too much thinking still..........it's working though, I just gotta get it to become second nature
    Master of Nothing, but dammit if I don't try..............

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemlows View Post
    I swear cornering is like golf for me..........I get a few great shots then bogey for a while.......hehe, too much thinking still..........it's working though, I just gotta get it to become second nature
    This is actually great insight. Golfers spend a lot of time and money working on their stroke. They get coaches, have all kinds of machines and tools to help analyze what they're doing.

Us mountain bikers on the other hand do very little to improve our technique. We just ride. Well I think it's time to change that and make an effort to improve again and learn. Break down what we're doing and build it back up and leave the bad habits behind.

Who's with me?

fc

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    This is actually great insight. Golfers spend a lot of time and money working on their stroke. They get coaches, have all kinds of machines and tools to help analyze what they're doing.

Us mountain bikers on the other hand do very little to improve our technique. We just ride. Well I think it's time to change that and make an effort to improve again and learn. Break down what we're doing and build it back up and leave the bad habits behind.

Who's with me?

fc
    This thread transformed my riding lately. I'd love to find a coach to make an investment in.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Who's with me?

fc
    I'm in! Every ride every corner. I pulled off most of the right techniques in a clutch situation the other day.

I like mtn biking, too

Who's with me?

fc
    I have done a bunch of clinics already, and it's good to get feedback from a pro, but you have to practice and apply what you learn or you lose it. Gene Hamilton recommends to focus on at least one skill on each ride, and it's really, really good advice. My first sport was snowboarding back in the 90's, and on ski hills there are always all kinds of lessons available. I'm surprised it's not more popular for mountain biking. I think it would be hella fun to organize a trip up to Whistler and do a co-ed Dirt Series up there!

In lieu of that, having skills threads up on mtbr is also a great refresher and reminder to continually improve.
    Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jeng View Post
    braaaaap noises help
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    This reminds me of a South Park episode.
    garth marenghi's darkplace - bike chase scene - YouTube

The entire show is brilliant. Fantastic humor. All six episodes can be found on this channel:
    xbobandrose's channel - YouTube
    To ride this trail is completely free.
    Just show me a triangle..... make it three!

Let's Ride!
    Hmmm, there needs to be a NorCal Cornering Clinic Meetup, ride, and after ride beer tasting.......
    Master of Nothing, but dammit if I don't try..............

mtbr member
    Jay Hoots and Shandro said they will show me the way. I will report back

fc
    Been waiting for some Shore ride reports, where are they? Whatya working or something?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemlows View Post
    Hmmm, there needs to be a NorCal Cornering Clinic Meetup, ride, and after ride beer tasting.......
    My vote is the Truckee super D. Perfect for laying down corners.

swag ho Administrator
    We need some coaching/camp recommendations. Coaching reviews!!

For a group ride, we will need some volunteer coaches who know what they're talking about.

For IPA coaching, I'm your man.

fc

mtbr member
    Matt Cain is a mtb'er?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Welcome to norcal's cornering clinic-matt.cain.mtb.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    On off camber turns wouldn't the tire contact area be greater if you leaned your body into the turn more than your bike and thus have greater traction?

ask
    user
    Quote Originally Posted by michael1 View Post
    On off camber turns wouldn't the tire contact area be greater if you leaned your body into the turn more than your bike and thus have greater traction?
    Edit... Misread your post. Have had coffee now. Disregard post. :-)
    Last edited by ask; 08-16-2012 at 09:35 AM.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast