Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Lightly salted
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemlows View Post
    ........just seems if you have 7" of post being utilized from collar to seat then you're probably sitting quite a bit higher than your handlebars..........hmmm.....not a comfortable riding position for me....
    Here is a picture of my bike with seatpost fully extended, almost 9" from top of seat colar to seat rails. I have about 10mm of spacers below my stem. My knees are way over the bar on the upper pedal stroke. The bars feel much lower than the seat when riding with the seat fully extended. First few rides the low stem/bar height felt off, but after getting used to it I really like it. I fell it puts me in a more aggressive position and natrually makes me ride more aggressivly, weight forward and over bars. Front tire traction greatly improvered and I can push hard around corners without fear of a front tire washout. Low bars will force you to use better form, because bad form with low bars is a recipe for going over the bars!. Its an easy experiment, try lowering your stem and if you don't like it just put it back where it was.

I like mtn biking, too
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody View Post
    Awesome observations. Thats was exactly what I was talking about with the seat dropper deal. Being so accustomed to lowering seat and dropping back instead of pushing hips back and chest down/elbows out weighting the front
    Ahh, so that's what you meant. I couldn't agree with you more on part of your point - like almost everyone else I was originally told (wrongly) to just move the butt back as far as possible and hang off the back edge of the seat such that the elbows are hyper extended, which means the front wheel is not weighted enough, which is totally sketchy. After taking a few skills clinics, the common theme of all of them was to *always* be in neutral position - weight centered over bottom bracket, chest low, elbows up, eyes forward - you do get back a little to maintain a neutral position on DH's, but this doesn't require you to move back so far you have straight elbows, except maybe on super-steeps. Having chest down and looking forward certainly has made my dh's a lot less sketchy and more enjoyable. (Having front of the board weighted is also recommended in snowboarding - except in deep powder). I can't picture however why you would think that being able to move your seat down on demand would prevent someone from doing this skill properly. I think the greater impediment to people descending improperly is not having anyone explain to them the benefits of doing it this way, or not having practiced it. I am glad you finally brought it up!
    Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

Lightly salted
    Quote Originally Posted by Huck Pitueee View Post
    Hips back? So is the nose of your saddle jabbing you in the tail bone or are you above the saddle?
    Imagine keeping your belly button centered over bottom bracket and adjust position for terrain. Back low and level with hips back keeping a low center of gravity.

#AINTNOBODYGOTTIMEFERDAT
    A great video was just posted today about hip movement while turning:

How-to: Hip Flexion - Video - Pinkbike

Anybody else totally better at turning on way than the other? I really suck at right turns but can rail all types of left turns no problem.

Also notice these guys are wearing knee pads when doing this! Pick up a set if you're really going to be focusing on leaning into corners. Troy Lee 5400's are great if you want to put in some mileage without being restricted and still be protected. You will wash out a few times finding that sweet spot, but it wont hurt!

edit: on second watch, they aren't looking through the turn in a lot of the shots! They're looking down at their front tire, this is a no no.
    YouTube | #1 Rule for California mtb: If you're having fun, it's illegal.

swag ho Administrator
    So awesome! Don't need to look for hero dirt to practice. Even those crappy, loose fire roads are good for learning techniques.

fc

mtbr member
    Dont forget, while you guys are out there practicing, remember that this whole leaning the bike and keeping body upright js only one technique and is only.applicable to certain corners such as sweepers and off cambers. Tight corners and s turns and berms require similar but different inputs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yes, good point.

I find that tight series of s turns confuse me more as I get more dialed over the past few years learning new methods like those disucssed in these threads. Specifically, I can't smoothly/quickly switch my stance quickly enough to put the outside pedals down in a series of tight linked s turns. Any thoughts on how to roost linked tight turns? Level pedals and pumping the turns to keep pressure timed to the apexes seems to work pretty good but curious about optimal techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by Yody View Post
    Dont forget, while you guys are out there practicing, remember that this whole leaning the bike and keeping body upright js only one technique and is only.applicable to certain corners such as sweepers and off cambers. Tight corners and s turns and berms require similar but different inputs.

ask
    user
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    So awesome! Don't need to look for hero dirt to practice. Even those crappy, loose fire roads are good for learning techniques.

fc
    +1... I actually think wide trails may be better for initial practice as it give you more room to make errors. I almost hit a tree the other day on a tight section of Blue Blossom... I have ridden that section dozens of times, but that day I was paying too much attention to my technique and not the trees. LOL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemikemike View Post
    Yes, good point.

I find that tight series of s turns confuse me more as I get more dialed over the past few years learning new methods like those disucssed in these threads. Specifically, I can't smoothly/quickly switch my stance quickly enough to put the outside pedals down in a series of tight linked s turns. Any thoughts on how to roost linked tight turns? Level pedals and pumping the turns to keep pressure timed to the apexes seems to work pretty good but curious about optimal techniques.
    Pump even harder, you have the idea

mtbr member
    Maybe these guys need a little cornering practice...

我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by GuruAtma View Post
    Maybe these guys need a little cornering practice...

Roadies?
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I've been practicing the techniques in this thread. The pull your inside grip off and dip the outside heel tips really make cornering a completely different experience. Corner speeds and comfort go through the roof. Really good stuff.

mtbr member
    I just did the dirt crit race in Howarth Park, and the cornering tips helped a lot. I didn't come in last!
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Today pointing my belly button in started feeling better. Old loose scary corners a feeling casual now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Roadies?
    Whistler?

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by grumblingcrustacean View Post
    Whistler?
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Let's Ride!
    Oh lord, 3 hours on the Motorcycle and I'm all screwed up now..........
    Master of Nothing, but dammit if I don't try..............

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemlows View Post
    Oh lord, 3 hours on the Motorcycle and I'm all screwed up now..........
    Hell just switching bicycles is hard enough. At least I got all my handlebars the same width now. Wooden plugs for extra width.

Let's Ride!
    Hell just switching bicycles is hard enough. At least I got all my handlebars the same width now. Wooden plugs for extra width.
    yeah, it's a big switch, although the bicycle gives me more confidence on the motrocycle......

Master of Nothing, but dammit if I don't try..............

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Sick! I quit that when I found myself airborn in the middle of a 4 way stop.
    Still drooling!

swag ho Administrator
    Today pointing my belly button in started feeling better. Old loose scary corners a feeling casual now.
    I was Alum Rock park today for the first time as I tackled a steep, loose, dry descent. Confidence was high!

A big part of it too is as you understand what's going on with the traction, you're able to ride with more commitment and more traction.

fc

mtbr member
    It's hard to shake off street bike cornering techniques to mountain bikes. I haven't ridden sport bikes in years but I still think about cornering on my mtb with Mick Doohan on my head. I think repetition does help out a lot. At Northstar this Friday, I had some pretty fast runs down Livewire moving the bike under me instead of my body leaning into the turns. Elbows out and twisting your torso helps out a lot.

swag ho Administrator
    Step 1:

Ride with one of these guys. Observe. Ask questions.

Drink beer.

Weed, Hauer, Massey.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Welcome to norcal's cornering clinic-602522_10150962315832475_883249620_n.jpeg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I was riding a familiar trail this weekend. It is a off camber downhill. Just riding down it is not at all technical, but by weight the outside pedal and leaning on the inside grip I could hear my xr4's clawing at the ground. There is something about that counter steer that brings a whole new level of traction. It irritating to be riding all this time and just discover it. I thought I was doing it right. Ha.
    Great thread.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

#AINTNOBODYGOTTIMEFERDAT
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Step 1:

Ride with one of these guys. Observe. Ask questions.

Drink beer.

Weed, Hauer, Massey.
    Heh, well, if you wanna rail corners like Massey, you can. Shameless plug for a friend: Bikeskills Bay Area Mountain Bike Skills Instruction
    YouTube | #1 Rule for California mtb: If you're having fun, it's illegal.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast