Moderator Moderator

The Weekly Ride and Trail Conditions Report: May 14-17, 2018

It's looking like it's going to be cut and paste weather reporting for most of NorCal for awhile. Which is not necessarily a bad thing. Pollen is going to be a problem for a bit longer, so get your Neti Pots, Claritin, or whatever suits you, ready!

Trail reports and photos are appreciated.

The Weekly Ride and Trail Conditions Report: May 14-17, 2018-screen-shot-2018-05-13-9.56.49-pm.jpg

The Weekly Ride and Trail Conditions Report: May 14-17, 2018-screen-shot-2018-05-13-9.57.28-pm.jpg

The Weekly Ride and Trail Conditions Report: May 14-17, 2018-screen-shot-2018-05-13-9.58.17-pm.png

Moderator Moderator
    Took my wife out for a short 1/2 hour lunch ride at Arastradero. Her eyes were blazing red after the ride due to pollen. It is really, really tough this year. Even I feel it, and I never feel the pollen.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Took my wife out for a short 1/2 hour lunch ride at Arastradero. Her eyes were blazing red after the ride due to pollen. It is really, really tough this year. Even I feel it, and I never feel the pollen.
    This has been a tough allergy year. I can't wait for the suffering to end.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    perfect storm of rain, sun, rain, sun. And now wind.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    With our forces combined...we give you the worst allergy season.

fc
    graffiti everywhere!!

The Weekly Ride and Trail Conditions Report: May 14-17, 2018-32486522_10156217238513213_1568183720450457600_o.jpg
    IPA will save America

Captain One Lung Administrator
    Still sick so no real riding.

I got to drive around Hidden Falls for a video shoot with the County which was cool. I'm so Enduro I shuttled Hidden Falls. lol
    The Weekly Ride and Trail Conditions Report: May 14-17, 2018-4142018173735.jpg

I love seeing oldies like this still around and even being ridden.
    The Weekly Ride and Trail Conditions Report: May 14-17, 2018-4142018173430.jpg

Working with Stikrd to come up with custom decals for Jeni's new bike to match her brand colors. Evil Wreckoning
    The Weekly Ride and Trail Conditions Report: May 14-17, 2018-4142018173218.jpg

Studying for my Ride Guide Certification this weekend
    The Weekly Ride and Trail Conditions Report: May 14-17, 2018-4142018173152.jpg

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post

Working with Stikrd to come up with custom decals for Jeni's new bike to match her brand colors. Evil Wreckoning
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4142018173218.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	173.6 KB 
ID:	1198114
    Awesome colors and graphics.

Formerly dvo
    Wife is out of town on business so might as well ride every day. Fremont Older quick hit today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm the problem....

mtbr member
    Hit my local trail for a quick 5 miles after work. Despite weedwhacking and riding it a lot, you can barely see where the trail is except where I have actually put in new stretches.

KOM'd three private segments though wasn't feeling ultra-strong. Played it a little safe given my shoulder is still pretty dang sore, but was nice to get out after taking a few days off!

mtbr member
    Finals week, thinking Bout Downieville next week...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    '18 Ibis Ripmo GX/XT

Backup - 2013.5 Stumpy EVO 29 - backup
    '18 Ibis Ripley LS V3 in Vitamin P (retired)

mtbr member
    Rode Granite Bay this evening. The lake is super high and a few sections of trail are under water. The trails are very sandy and loose, the climb to the lookout bench is almost all loose sand. Iíve never seen the trails there that blown out. The new trail work looks interesting and looks to add some better flow. I didnít ride on them, but could pretty much see what the idea is. Probably going to stay away until the fall rains come.

fc

Allergies high and low
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chukwithak View Post
    Finals week, thinking Bout Downieville next week...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I got mine next week. thought about going up to Dville next weekend but i imagine everyone will be heading up for memorial day weekend gonna head to SC i guess.

marin headlands dirt is getting real dusty

Captain One Lung Administrator
    In other news, Mammoth Bar Gate is OPEN!

mtbr member
    Rode Rockville last night with my son. We rode a new to us "loop". I am trying to help him learn that maintaining speed while pedalling flats and on slight downhills is good to help easily get through the smaller uphills and to maximize the overall flow of the ride. We both had a blast!

The Weekly Ride and Trail Conditions Report: May 14-17, 2018-img_e9728.jpg

The Weekly Ride and Trail Conditions Report: May 14-17, 2018-img_e9719.jpg

The Weekly Ride and Trail Conditions Report: May 14-17, 2018-img_e9723.jpg

The Weekly Ride and Trail Conditions Report: May 14-17, 2018-img_e9725.jpg

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by roughster View Post
    Rode Rockville last night with my son. We rode a new to us "loop". I am trying to help him learn that maintaining speed while pedalling flats and on slight downhills is good to help easily get through the smaller uphills and to maximize the overall flow of the ride. We both had a blast!
    So cool. How old? My kid will ride with me soon. School sports ending!
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    So cool. How old? My kid will ride with me soon. School sports ending!
    He is 16. He started riding at 14, but broke his leg pretty bad last year (non-MTB injury) and didn't ride much as a result. He is getting back into it with a vengeance and seems to be loving it!

There is a little more "fear" from my end now, as I don't just worry about me breaking my own noggin / limbs but now worry about him as well, but it certainly has been a great bonding experience for us. Seeing that haggard and tired look framed with a big smile at the end of the ride makes a Dad proud

I also think MTB teaches kids that life doesn't always have to be "comfortable" and a bloody scratch on your leg or crash that you can dust yourself off from is not a "bad thing". A lot of the younger generation needs to learn this lesson. I think the older generations went through this because let's be honest, life was "harder". Somehow we need to teach kids that there is pleasure and satisfaction that comes from experiencing pain and discomfort as part of a larger effort where the reward is the satisfaction of accomplishing something, even if it is as esoteric as an awesome flowy ride with your dad!

/hella philosophical...

fc

The Weekly Ride and Trail Conditions Report: May 14-17, 2018

Well said roughster!!
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Got home from work and decided I should slap the new Maxxis Minion FBF/FBR on the GBEMC since the stock tires are pretty crap. Mission accomplished! (Yes I know my garage is a mess):

The Weekly Ride and Trail Conditions Report: May 14-17, 2018-913418e3-3a7f-4b30-a0b9-d662a93a3e89.jpg

Hit my local trail and was thinking about a connection to eliminate some climbing for days I want a more flowy / less climby ride. Worked out and was happy.

The weather was slightly overcast, slightly windy but great temps and I was digging the new and improved traction on the Minions:

The Weekly Ride and Trail Conditions Report: May 14-17, 2018-cab4f785-3535-41b5-91ee-31f26bc417c6.jpg

As you can see by the picture, even with weed whacking Iím having a hard time keeping up with the growth. Iíll hit it one more time before I jet off to Africa for two months. I wonder what it will look like when I get back?
    Overall, a perfect after work ride!

The Weekly Ride and Trail Conditions Report: May 14-17, 2018-5d8ad966-ce46-4f42-a124-30e1cb9e339b.jpeg

hopeless moron
    Got home from work and decided I should slap the new Maxxis Minion FBF/FBR on the GBEMC since the stock tires are pretty crap. Mission accomplished!
    The Minion FBR/FBF transform a fatbike into an all-around capable trail bike. Congrats! Next step is getting them set up tubeless.
    one by nine works just fine but single speed is all ya need
    BTW, itís called ďsarcasmĒ; youíre soaking in it!

mtbr member
    You got a KOM on a fat bike? Impressive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    You got a KOM on a fat bike? Impressive.
    Thanks, but it really helps when I am the only one riding it hehe

mtbr member
    I also think MTB teaches kids that life doesn't always have to be "comfortable" and a bloody scratch on your leg or crash that you can dust yourself off from is not a "bad thing". A lot of the younger generation needs to learn this lesson.
    Truth right here, my little brother is obsessed with crossfit and every time we go a ride, he ends up not having fun cause he's too worried about hurting himself somehow

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I had a really nice ride at DeLaveaga. I don't go there much, but its a good time. I love that there is such diversity of features to progress with, each time I go I clear some new ones. Nice mix of redwoods and wildflowers right now

I also REALLY like that it is true multi-use and everyone gets along. runners, dogs, hikers. (no horses, yay!) A runner cheered me up a technical climb. Dogs follow me for segments. None of the tension at other parks

You have to watch your speed, but for a chill time it's great

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by shmadge View Post
    I had a really nice ride at DeLaveaga. I don't go there much, but its a good time. I love that there is such diversity of features to progress with, each time I go I clear some new ones. Nice mix of redwoods and wildflowers right now

I also REALLY like that it is true multi-use and everyone gets along. runners, dogs, hikers. (no horses, yay!) A runner cheered me up a technical climb. Dogs follow me for segments. None of the tension at other parks

You have to watch your speed, but for a chill time it's great
    Nice! i have only hit the low stuff on the road bike coming from Aptos and hiked it. Played my only frisbee/disc golf session there as well. If I lived in the 'hood I would ride there often.

I am so off the bike right now need to break my streak. Work could just kill a man...

mtbr member
    Bone dry out there. I smashed rocks at ST on Rocky Ridge and Stiles with the XC rig (Epic) because my trail bike is on the injured list. Surprisingly no flats. Good fun.

Formerly dvo
    Montebello loop tonight

Beautiful evening up on Black Mountain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm the problem....

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Galbraith today:
    The Weekly Ride and Trail Conditions Report: May 14-17, 2018-img_0682-1-.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluegixxer600 View Post
    Rode Granite Bay this evening. The lake is super high and a few sections of trail are under water. The trails are very sandy and loose, the climb to the lookout bench is almost all loose sand. Iíve never seen the trails there that blown out. The new trail work looks interesting and looks to add some better flow. I didnít ride on them, but could pretty much see what the idea is. Probably going to stay away until the fall rains come.
    They're blown out from driving the tractors up and down that trail for the other trail work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    What's the expect conditions for Demo or UCSC this weekend? Getting blown out yet?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Everything in ELDO County is pretty awesome right now. Although the foothill stuff has grass trying to take over.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by prozach0215 View Post
    Everything in ELDO County is pretty awesome right now. Although the foothill stuff has grass trying to take over.

Damn that looked awesome!

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post
    What's the expect conditions for Demo or UCSC this weekend? Getting blown out yet?
    Gotta to get to Demo now!!!!!

Conditions will be very good compared to a month from now or two months from now.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Letís not call this week ďdoneĒ as of yet. Evidently, it still has a little life yet to provide from the Mtn Bike Gods.

Lagoon Valley with Max. He is getting stronger and able to make it up all but the longest steepest Hills. Had a great ride and the wind while up, felt great to cool you down!

The Weekly Ride and Trail Conditions Report: May 14-17, 2018-217d334c-7f0b-4b69-b433-e6bfa672f0bc.jpg

The Weekly Ride and Trail Conditions Report: May 14-17, 2018-4eef6f75-ecbe-46bf-9b86-57d19f6befce.jpg

The Weekly Ride and Trail Conditions Report: May 14-17, 2018-f5636858-8aa2-4666-bc9b-17a7651967ea.jpg

The Weekly Ride and Trail Conditions Report: May 14-17, 2018-edb9ca88-b2c4-4365-9b9c-892eb07b4369.jpg

fc
    Throwback Thursday

Demo Forest.... Pretty much all singlespeeders. 12 years ago??? Anyone know. Anybody here join that ride?The Weekly Ride and Trail Conditions Report: May 14-17, 2018-desktop50.jpg
    IPA will save America