Trail Gnome Moderator

The Weekly Ride Report: November 6th-9th

Rain is in the forecast starting around Wednesday...Iíll keep my fingers crossed, that last storm kinda petered out
    Where are you riding? Post up your pics...letís see if anyone can out do TahoeBC

fc
    stoked Administrator
    This next storm should deliver much more precipitation than the last one. North bay gonna get it!!

How is Tahoe and Downieville now btw?

Loop of model images
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Looks like mostly Thursday for rain. Also won't be too cold so snow only very high up. Hoping they get some base going at Mt Rose!

As far as riding goes, just a short ride up in Briones late yesterday. Gorgeous afternoon, I don't think I've ever seen as many people in the park as I did yesterday...good to see. Hoping to ride up in Reno at least once this week.

L1MEY
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    This next storm should deliver much more precipitation than the last one. North bay gonna get it!!

How is Tahoe and Downieville now btw?

Loop of model images
    Tahoe was awesome yesterday! I hit Corral in SLT for some jump practice and there were hardly any loose spots. Same with Powerline... all that sandy mess is nicely compacted, and I didn't spin out in the sand going up Cedar either.
    - Jen.

mtbr member
    Short ride in SC for me today. Dirt already getting pretty dry on some of the more popular DH trails. Still donít know how to ride with flat pedals.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Short ride in SC for me today. Dirt already getting pretty dry on some of the more popular DH trails. Still donít know how to ride with flat pedals.
    Of course you don't. The question though is are you progressing in the right direction?

How long has it been? Are you staying pure? Meaning no clipping in at ALL.
    IPA will save America

fc
    stoked Administrator
    went for a lunch hike. This could be a good thing. Hike someplace new once a week. Anybody know this spot?The Weekly Ride Report: November 6th-9th-img_1762.heic.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jnt

mtbr member
    Of course you don't. The question though is are you progressing in the right direction?

How long has it been? Are you staying pure? Meaning no clipping in at ALL.
    Been a solid 2 rides. Been riding my moto a lot recently, does that count? Lol.

Canít tell if any progress since itís so early. But I never realized how much I relied on pulling up with my feet, until I couldnít anymore. Even going over a small pipe in the trail felt awkward and sloppy.

Strongly debating if it is worth it or not. Descending a steepish trail that is normally no issues for me, I lost all my confidence and itís like I lost 50% of my bike control.

mtbr member
    went for a lunch hike. This could be a good thing. Hike someplace new once a week. Anybody know this spot?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1762.HEIC.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	325.8 KB 
ID:	1166045
    If you want to check out a new hike that I bet youíve never done before, I would recommend Eagle Rock trail. Itís near Little Basin in Boulder Creek. Little further drive, but very isolated from any crowds, and a great view up top.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Been a solid 2 rides. Been riding my moto a lot recently, does that count? Lol.

Canít tell if any progress since itís so early. But I never realized how much I relied on pulling up with my feet, until I couldnít anymore. Even going over a small pipe in the trail felt awkward and sloppy.

Strongly debating if it is worth it or not. Descending a steepish trail that is normally no issues for me, I lost all my confidence and itís like I lost 50% of my bike control.
    Schiiiiit. You're so new at it. You gotta commit and put your mind in to it. Eye of the tiger.

Of course it's worth it. You will learn so much and have nothing to lose. Even if you don't stick with it, you will come out with a lot of valuable tools.

Give it three months of regular riding and you should be at 98% of old. After that, it's all gravy. For me, it took about 6 months til it didn't hold it back. After a year, I really started improving.

One advantage is obvious.... when you're about to fall or do fall, you have an instant foot kick to prop you back up. If you fall, you have separation from your bike which is a massive source of pain. Think of a very steep, slickety, rocky, rooty trail. Flats will give you that cushion you need to go beyond your comfort zone.

The other advantage is more subtle. You will learn how to stay glued to your bike. You will do it with timing, leverage and physics. It's really cool. For timing, don't pre-jump. Weight the bike down and wait for the bike to come to you as you unweight. And the real key is heel positioning. Heel way down on steep, tech descents. Jumping, heel up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW87e4OIMjs
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    My family surprised me with a trip to Tahoe for my birthday, because "we know you like the mountains". We're staying at a cabin in south lake, so of course I brought my bike.

Today I ended up going from the big meadow trailhead up tucker flat to freel, then down Armstrong and corral and back down to 50. There was plenty of snow up on freel but none of it was very deep. It did make the climbs even harder for my sea level lungs though.

The corrals was goood.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Rode on an odd surface in Truckee today. It was not dry and dusty, so I do not have any words in my vocabulary for it. It was as if I was glued to the trail laterally, yet forward momentum was smooth and effortless. Strangely enjoyable, whatever it's called.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    This trail is wayyyyy steeper than it looks. The Weekly Ride Report: November 6th-9th-img_1749.heic.jpg
    IPA will save America

PRETENDURO
    Nowhere in sight.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Auburn has been spectacular the past few days!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1166356
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]1166357
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Weekly Ride Report: November 6th-9th-fullsizerender-3.jpg  

The Weekly Ride Report: November 6th-9th-img_4541.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2015
    This trail is wayyyyy steeper than it looks. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1749.HEIC.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	256.6 KB 
ID:	1166191
    Is this SAnborn up to JNT, just after passing the trailhead?

I was working all day and then caught the last 40mins of daylight for a brief "bike stroll" in Fremont Older. Was coasting around Seven Springs Loop, when I heard some giggling voices behind me. I was certainly not racing, but I wasnīt slow either. Voices came closer. And on the uphill those two like 13 year old kids passed me.
    Felt so old......those young rippers, those MTB natives are up for playing in a different league, I guess ;-)

Happy trails
    Bernd

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BerndK View Post
    Is this SAnborn up to JNT, just after passing the trailhead?
    Yes, this is after the big parking lot .... maybe a half mile at the dead end of the road.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Yes, this is after the big parking lot .... maybe a half mile at the dead end of the road.
    Yeah that section is a pain to grind up on. Thankfully they opened the Black Road entrance. JNT is one of my favorites to ride down.

Sent from my TF700T using Tapatalk

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by yetilicious View Post
    Yeah that section is a pain to grind up on. Thankfully they opened the Black Road entrance. JNT is one of my favorites to ride down.

1x11 friendly?
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Black Road entrance? Yes, it's two miles of flaaaat extra wide fire road that ends at the lake then you start your climb up JNT proper. Or you can do what I do and puss out of the trail climb and park at BR trailhead then ride up 35>9 and hop onto the Skyline trail to the top of JNT and go down it.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by yetilicious View Post
    Black Road entrance? Yes, it's two miles of flaaaat extra wide fire road that ends at the lake then you start your climb up JNT proper. Or you can do what I do and puss out of the trail climb and park at BR trailhead then ride up 35>9 and hop onto the Skyline trail to the top of JNT and go down it.

Seems to be the most efficient way.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Dawn patrol yesterday was highly worthy. Regular wheels are in the shop so had to run the DH wheelset... great on the downs, but pedaling that 35 lbs of bike over 30 miles starts to offset the DH fun. Digging playing around with the vertical pano shots to show the big-ass trees!

mtbr member
    Ermm, maybe next time...

The Weekly Ride Report: November 6th-9th-getfileattachment.jpg

fc
    stoked Administrator
    been skunked outdoors so far this week.

No roadbike anymore. But i have stationary... which about the same. lolz
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Nov 2017

Condition's South Lake

Is any part of Mr. Toads or the trails near there rideable? I have never been there and wanted to get one ride in before there is to much snow.

Trail Gnome Moderator
    I bumped into my buddy Jeff on the trails...somewhere far from Santa Cruz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Weekly Ride Report: November 6th-9th-d97fea0f-5e93-4cec-a4cb-c87fca474f72.jpg  

The Weekly Ride Report: November 6th-9th-7eb326ee-365b-4f14-b3ab-8b337d8116bc.jpg  

The Weekly Ride Report: November 6th-9th-c55787be-5a9c-4383-a486-b1af6f733969.jpg  

The Weekly Ride Report: November 6th-9th-75ae8761-ff55-499e-b8a4-9630dcba57df.jpg  

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Got a Fremont Older in. It should be dialed by late morning tomorrow. Almost nobody out there. Just me and my buddy who put a hole in the trail intersection.
    The Weekly Ride Report: November 6th-9th-img_1814.heic.jpg

The Weekly Ride Report: November 6th-9th-img_1817.heic.jpg
    IPA will save America

Formerly dvo
    Got a Fremont Older in. It should be dialed by late morning tomorrow. Almost nobody out there. Just me and my buddy who put a hole in the trail intersection.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1814.HEIC.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	173.9 KB 
ID:	1166658

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1817.HEIC.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	1166659
    You zigged....Adam and I zagged.
    I'm the problem....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey1 View Post
    Is any part of Mr. Toads or the trails near there rideable? I have never been there and wanted to get one ride in before there is to much snow.
    The upper part of Toads probably isn't a good idea with snow on it. But most of the other stuff is OK since the snow up there right now is maybe 3" at the most. I can tell you Armstrong, Armstrong connector, upper and lower Corral, Sawmill, and Angora ridge were all pretty clear and dry when I was up there. Anything down below 8000' or so shouldn't have much snow right now.

mtbr member
    ^^^ One of my most memorable days on Toads was in the middle of a snowstorm. Yeah the rocks got a little slick, but it was surprisingly good overall. Well, it was good until I wore the front brake pads down to the metal backing plates (forgot to check them before the ride) and killed the front rotor. I guess it was more Type 2 sort of fun.

mtbr member
    ^When a mythical dog appears out of the forest and speaks to you:

"Woof! Arf!"
    "You should turn back, friend. Great peril lies ahead."

"Oh, and your front pads are worn."