Moderator Moderator

The Weekly Ride Report: February 12 - February 15, 2018

It started to feel a bit more like February today on the MidPen with temperatures in the low to mid 50s, and windy. Still beautiful in comparison to other areas. This week is supposed to be another week of beautiful weather. Pollen count looks slightly better than last week.

The Weekly Ride Report: February 12 - February 15, 2018-screen-shot-2018-02-11-2.10.52-pm.jpg

The Weekly Ride Report: February 12 - February 15, 2018-screen-shot-2018-02-11-10.55.02-pm.jpg

It's Valentine's Day on Wednesday, don't forget! I'm celebrating with a Valentine's Day Ride with my wife. No chocolates, just riding!

The Weekly Ride Report: February 12 - February 15, 2018-_dsc9276.jpg

Moderator Moderator
    Did a little easy leg stretcher around Arastradero today. Man, it feels chilly out there. Must have gotten a little too used to the 70F February weather!

Rhymes with fartmaster
    Might be some night riding soon for me this week. Might be rad.
    one by nine works just fine but single speed is all ya need

Moderator Moderator
    It's so warm out I may have to camp out on Black Mtn and do a Montebello night ride soon.

default title
    Mar 2008
    It's so cold that CalFire is warming up UCSC area with prescribed burns. Lots of equipment at the main tanks earlier today, I stuck to the singletrack above chinquapin until I was far away from the tanks (to cross down into campus proper). I haven't smelled any smoke in the office today but that doesn't mean they're not burning.
    "My opinions are often more offensive than my *******." - Twindaddy

mtbr member
    I got out after work yesterday. I'm continuing to explore the trails around my new house. After we moved last summer, life got upended and there weren't a lot of opportunities to ride. But now....

This is so cool. When I lived down in the valley, any dirt riding required me to go a good 20 minutes out of my way MINIMUM (for Granite Bay) and about 35-40 minutes if I wanted to hit Auburn. This not only meant leaving work early, but getting home late. And I don't like getting home late.

Now though, I can put together a loop of dirt/road mix good for about 7 miles and 600 ft of climbing per lap, right out of my garage. Or, I can drive five minutes to the old rail line and pick up some singletrack. It starts out pretty tame, and then it gets rocky and full of abrupt pitches (both up and down). Pretty good workout on the single speed.

Temps are definitely cooling here - was 39 degrees F this morning when I woke up. Last night when I went out at around 4 PM I was wearing a long sleeve shirt, which I haven't worn for riding in some time.

Here's a pic of my love on the rails:

:wq

Captain One Lung Administrator
    I went for a ride in Nevada City after work on Monday and about 3.5 miles in I just wasn't feeling it. Jeni had already left me in the dust so I pulled off the trail and pondered my condition. All of the working out I've been doing the past 8 weeks or so hasn't done squat for me, in fact, I feel worse every day because of it. I came to realize I cannot do heavy gym workouts, manual labor at work AND ride hard. So I'm cutting out the gym except for basic weight lifting (no MTB workouts with plyometrics). I'm just going to ride my bike and enjoy being midpack or last. I feel better that way.

After pondering I turned around and rode back to the car and the temps dropped low and fast! By the time I got halfway back down the trail my fingers and toes were numb and my hands hurt every time I hit a root. I was a little worried about falling because in this frozen state it would hurt A LOT! lol I had to put my Acceptance & Commitment Therapy (ACT) training to work that day. Accepting limitations is not easy.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    I went for a ride in Nevada City after work on Monday and about 3.5 miles in I just wasn't feeling it. Jeni had already left me in the dust so I pulled off the trail and pondered my condition. All of the working out I've been doing the past 8 weeks or so hasn't done squat for me, in fact, I feel worse every day because of it. I came to realize I cannot do heavy gym workouts, manual labor at work AND ride hard. So I'm cutting out the gym except for basic weight lifting (no MTB workouts with plyometrics). I'm just going to ride my bike and enjoy being midpack or last. I feel better that way.

After pondering I turned around and rode back to the car and the temps dropped low and fast! By the time I got halfway back down the trail my fingers and toes were numb and my hands hurt every time I hit a root. I was a little worried about falling because in this frozen state it would hurt A LOT! lol I had to put my Acceptance & Commitment Therapy (ACT) training to work that day. Accepting limitations is not easy.
    You may feel worse as your body adapts to the increased load? But sounds like you are doing a TON of working out, recovery is key! I find when I 'just don't feel it' more often than not it's my sleep that's affecting my condition.

Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    You may feel worse as your body adapts to the increased load? But sounds like you are doing a TON of working out, recovery is key! I find when I 'just don't feel it' more often than not it's my sleep that's affecting my condition.
    Definitely possible. After the chemo, radiation and surgeries I have been left with chronic fatigue, degraded focus, pain etc. So exercise causes what they term "post exertion malaise" or some other medical catch-all diagnosis. So it's hard to say what level of conditioning I can withstand long term. I.e. if it takes constant training just to maintain a minor improvement in riding at the cost of feeling crappy the rest of the time then it isn't worth it to me. Unfortunately there are no good guides and only recently (the last 2 years or so) has medical science been able to quantify (biomarkers) the condition as physical instead of mental or 100% mental. The studies are slowly coming in and hopefully there will be answers that can help us cancer survivors live life to the fullest physically and emotionally. I just want to ride my bike and keep up with folks.

Moderator Moderator
    Definitely possible. After the chemo, radiation and surgeries I have been left with chronic fatigue, degraded focus, pain etc. So exercise causes what they term "post exertion malaise" or some other medical catch-all diagnosis. So it's hard to say what level of conditioning I can withstand long term. I.e. if it takes constant training just to maintain a minor improvement in riding at the cost of feeling crappy the rest of the time then it isn't worth it to me. Unfortunately there are no good guides and only recently (the last 2 years or so) has medical science been able to quantify (biomarkers) the condition as physical instead of mental or 100% mental. The studies are slowly coming in and hopefully there will be answers that can help us cancer survivors live life to the fullest physically and emotionally. I just want to ride my bike and keep up with folks.
    To go through what you've been through, you're already mentally tougher than .00001% of the population. Incredible. Hooyah! May come to ride Auburn in April, will shoot you a PM if I do.

Rhymes with fartmaster
    Night riding Tuesday evening was immensely kick-balls! Six of us embarked, three of us (myself included) brought singlespeeds!
    one by nine works just fine but single speed is all ya need

mtbr member

Be careful dude, overworking your body like that can be pretty dangerous. My brother was a gym rat for a while, doing 2-3 intense workouts a day and surfing everyday and his body started to just quit out on him, tearing muscles and stuff like that.
    I've tried the gym routine too and it just made me not want to ride, i'd rather have fun on rides and not be in amazing shape. Lifting weights and gym workouts didn't make me a better rider either :/. Riding more often -> more confidence on rides -> riding better.

mtbr member
    Marin trails are pretty good right now. Going to santa cruz friday-monday though, need a break...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sosburn View Post
    Be careful dude, overworking your body like that can be pretty dangerous. My brother was a gym rat for a while, doing 2-3 intense workouts a day and surfing everyday and his body started to just quit out on him, tearing muscles and stuff like that.
    I've tried the gym routine too and it just made me not want to ride, i'd rather have fun on rides and not be in amazing shape. Lifting weights and gym workouts didn't make me a better rider either :/. Riding more often -> more confidence on rides -> riding better.
    My favorite thing about riding as part of my gym routine is that I have a legitimate reason to skip leg day
    :wq

mtbr member
    Ride Demo Flow today..thanks to those who did trail work last couple of weeks. Sec 1 and 2 have some.breaking bumps bit overall good and drying fast!

Had basically the whole place to ourselves!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    First ride at Skeggs in over 2-3 years for me. Did a good 15 mile loop, but just not my favorite place. Seems like the climbing to descending ratio isn’t very good even though the DH’s are less steep than the climbs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Seems like the climbing to descending ratio isn’t very good even though the DH’s are less steep than the climbs.
    That's what ebikes are for, or shuttles. With an ebike you still get some exercise. I've been less enamored than others with Demo too. Mostly because the climbing is not fun (pavement and wide fire road), and with mtb let's face it, you spend most of your time climbing. At wilder, for example, much of the climbing is also single track.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Did a nice after-work SF ride out of Glen Park Bart station: Sutro, Twin Peaks, and some other trails...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmil View Post
    That's what ebikes are for, or shuttles. With an ebike you still get some exercise. I've been less enamored than others with Demo too. Mostly because the climbing is not fun (pavement and wide fire road), and with mtb let's face it, you spend most of your time climbing. At wilder, for example, much of the climbing is also single track.
    Your right! Time to sell my frame for one of these bad boys. 180mm coil shock?!? Why doesn’t my bike have that? I’ll even trade out my fork for that Lyrik. #eBikeLife

fc
    honcho Administrator
    I rode, rode and then rediscovered Chipotle.

IPA will save America

Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    To go through what you've been through, you're already mentally tougher than .00001% of the population. Incredible. Hooyah! May come to ride Auburn in April, will shoot you a PM if I do.
    Thank buddy. I'm not sure about the toughness. I think I just struggle differently. Definitely hit me up when you get here. I'd love to ride with ya. We'll be completely moved into the new house by then so I'll be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by sosburn View Post
    That's pretty much where I am at. And while I like the extra 20lbs I've packed on from a visual perspective, the fact it's mostly fat isn't helping me on the bike so I am just going to work on eating better and losing that weight. Losing the fat is essentially the same as working out to get stronger. Or so it goes in my head so I can avoid leg day, see below.... lol

Quote Originally Posted by nachomc View Post
    My favorite thing about riding as part of my gym routine is that I have a legitimate reason to skip leg day
    Exactly!

mtbr member
    I rode to the Mt. Umunhum summit. They have a new 3.4 mile singletrack (double-track) that was finished sept 2017. Scenic ride with great views. The best is a lookout halfway up. It overlooks steep cliffs, a gigantic canyon as well as views of the Bay Area. The singletrack is like a sidewalk with loose gravel so traction is sketchy. It is a rare ride where I enjoyed the climbing the singletrack rather than descending it. Haha.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    quick ride yesterday evening on the crit trails and Vietnam trail in Spring Lake zone of Annadel. Warm start then cold at sunset. Finished with a Henhouse Big Chicken at Trailhouse.

such good conditions now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by socobiker View Post
    quick ride yesterday evening on the crit trails and Vietnam trail in Spring Lake zone of Annadel. Warm start then cold at sunset. Finished with a Henhouse Big Chicken at Trailhouse.

such good conditions now.
    Wondering if Annadel is worth a day trip with half the park still closed?