mtbr member

Weekend Window of opportunity rides/reports and pics

Busy weekend with mother's Day, etc. Gonna still manage to get a ride in? 10 until 1 today is my window.
    You became weak loafing around in that big girly gear! -Soares

mtbr member

I'm in Tahoe with the family and the bike is not
    Having withdrawal

mtbr member
    Got an 8:30am start at Skeggs. Perfect trail conditions but a wee bit hot. 75 degrees at 8:30 start.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

I learned these to find out I was not doing them "correctly" - I should be rotating the other way on the second part ("half cab"). Injured my rotator cuff doing them.

Yesterday I clipped the top step bunny hopping up a set of four stairs. I usually can make it without a problem, but I mistimed the hop. Walked home.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368370259.420199.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  51.3 KB

So now my shoulder is hurting and I'm frustrated as all hell. May as well go dirt roadie'ing today.

mtbr member
    Lucky me with another window to ride on mother's day. Heading to Lexington side soon. No helicopters today please !
    You became weak loafing around in that big girly gear! -Soares

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Rode from sf to pescadero mixed terrain route, post ride home made beer and BBQ on organic farm...such a great day all around

I just rode 60.7 miles! Check it out on #strava: Bike Ride Profile | Race to the Mammoth II near San Francisco | Times and Records | Strava

Dropshot Champ!
    Weekend Window of opportunity rides/reports and pics-935548_10200707099376137_315231895_n.jpg

Weekend Window of opportunity rides/reports and pics-923541_10200707110576417_1979602962_n.jpg

first time on trt after a day of truckee trails. Had a blast.

swag ho Administrator
    Saturday, I got to ride with a ton of folks here. We had an abundance of beer but little food. Luckily, Skyno roasted some peppers and made incredible salsa. That was sweeeet! Only sad part is I missed my kid's assault on the baseball. But my lovely wife had a camera so at least it's on video. I watched hundreds of games over the last seven years and I haven't seen a ball hit this well.

Sunday, full pancake breakfast, ribs in Pescadero and barbecue at home. Piny and pint of hagen daz and all was good.

fc
    IPA will save America

jms
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Sunday, full pancake breakfast, ribs in Pescadero and barbecue at home. Piny and pint of hagen daz and all was good.fc
    Belch! Better put a few more lbs of air in the rear shock this week there FC.

I got to ride both days, one of the [few] benefits of essentially being raised by wolves is not having to worry about pilgrimages to the Hallmark shop for "Mother's, Father's, Aunt's, Uncle's, Pet Chinchilla Sparky's, etc., etc. Day" for cards or celebrations.

I rode the CX over the top of Nisene on Saturday from the south, and on the "Plastic Pig" from the Aptos side on Sunday. But for seeing the Ranger touring up and down the fire road BOTH days, it was pretty quiet out there.
    My Favorite Peeps:

jms
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KiloJoule View Post
    Rode from sf to pescadero mixed terrain route, post ride home made beer and BBQ on organic farm...such a great day all around

I just rode 60.7 miles! Check it out on #strava: Bike Ride Profile | Race to the Mammoth II near San Francisco | Times and Records | Strava
    Nice!
    My Favorite Peeps:

enjoying the scenery

Mixed Terrain fun in the East Bay Parks

Saturday was the shakedown ride for my CX26 MkII, a 1997 Marin Bear Valley SE. I had hoped to be done with the build before Saturday AM but had some headset issues (missing parts.) So after borrowing the parts from my next build I was ready to roll at 1. It was a wee bit warm as I left Walnut Creek for Redwood and the glorious East Ridge "trail". The shakedown ride bore out quickly as I saw a flash and heard a metallic ting on the MUP. I rolled back to find a disc brake caliper bolt laying there, thus explaining the odd effort it suddenly took to roll the front wheel. I Fixed that and moved on. My Garmin was reporting triple digits across the top of the ridge at Redwood and I was sucking water like mad. The temps were much nicer at Skyline Gate and a breeze was blowing in. Runners, Riders and Dogs gathered around the drinking fountain and cooled off. I knew West Ridge would be cooler and "funner" so the ride was getting good now. The bike was good, my CX26 MkI is full steel, for the Mk II I added carbon; fork, stem and bars - and a front disc brake. The only problem was the rather obnoxious buzzsaw of the Performance Terramax freewheel. From West Ridge I dropped down Baccharus (SP?) to Dunn and the disc brakes were a solid addition. My original plan was to hit some of Lake Chabot but it was late and I was cooked, so I enjoyed the always cool descent of Redwood Rd and decided to attempt Canyon Trail again - fail. The last few miles were tough as my feet hurt and the damn freewheel was really bugging me. But a fun day of Mixed Terrain goodness none the less.
    2010 Niner EMD9
    2005 RM ETSX-50
    2002 Trek 8500
    1997 Marin Bear Valley
    1993 Miyata Elevation 2000

enjoying the scenery
    Quote Originally Posted by KiloJoule View Post

Nice route, have to add it to my wishlist.
    2010 Niner EMD9
    2005 RM ETSX-50
    2002 Trek 8500
    1997 Marin Bear Valley
    1993 Miyata Elevation 2000

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Oh, I did go bike shopping. Got one that I'm pretty set on.

NedwannaB

Similar mixed terrain outing

But over in the West Bay.
    Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Four Bagger Ride from Petaluma, CA near Petaluma | Times and Records | Strava

Clear day inland. Mt Burdell looking East to Diablo.
    Weekend Window of opportunity rides/reports and pics-mothers-day-burdell-diablo.jpg
    Picture framed Diablo midway up Big Rock Ridge.
    Weekend Window of opportunity rides/reports and pics-mothers-day-picture-framed-diablo.jpg
    Farther up towards Big Rock Summit.
    Weekend Window of opportunity rides/reports and pics-mothers-day-below-towers.jpg
    View from several bumps and valleys later. Still a few more to go...
    Weekend Window of opportunity rides/reports and pics-mothers-day-towards-towers.jpg
    The Lady was tempting me to caress her summit contours, but alas, not for todays ride.
    Weekend Window of opportunity rides/reports and pics-mothers-day-tam-view.jpg
    Finally at the towers.
    Weekend Window of opportunity rides/reports and pics-mothers-day-big-rock-towers.jpg
    Took a break to stretch with this healthy guy. He stayed a little while, then off into the grass.
    Weekend Window of opportunity rides/reports and pics-mothers-day-big-snake.jpg
    Weekend Window of opportunity rides/reports and pics-mothers-day-thumbs-up-snake.jpg

Cresting the ridge towers and then dropping down on the newer swoopy single-track section of the Bay Are Ridge Trail to the "Big Rock" on Lucas Valley Rd, I was renewed with some hidden energy reserves, so I decide to bag one more peak in Loma Alta. Not wanting to do a straight up and back I split off before the final pitches onto seldom traveled Smith Ridge Fire Rd spur and circumvented around and down into a secluded canyon nestled below and to the West, then picking up the main route again coming up from the Fairfax side and continued to the top.

Pressed for time, water, and knowing if I dallied too long up there I'd pay for it on the long haul home back up to Petaluma, I passed on photo ops and sailed back down completing the counter-clockwise loop and retraced my ascent back down to LV Rd. Then out to refuel bottles and self at Rancho Nicascio.
    Weekend Window of opportunity rides/reports and pics-mothers-day-rancho.jpg
    Last edited by JMac47; 05-13-2013 at 03:01 PM. Reason: more info
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by danec99 View Post
    Nice route, have to add it to my wishlist.
    thx it really was a great ride - i signed up for a low key organized race/ride and had a blast following the route and socializing with the hosts post ride. Below is the flyer hope there is a Race to Mammoth 3 :-)

Race to the Mammoth II

Mtn View, CA
    First time at Harvey Bear on Saturday. Went early enough so it wasn't hot yet. Calaveras/Valley Oak/Gaviota Trails are nice. Made the climb up Harvey Bear trail worth it.
    Atomic batteries to power...turbines to speed...