Moderator Moderator

The Weekend Ride and Trail Conditions Report: June 8-10, 2018

Looks like temps across all of NorCal are going to be ideal this weekend. Still another week of no rain for most areas.

Updates and photos are appreciated.

The Weekend Ride and Trail Conditions Report: June 8-10, 2018-screen-shot-2018-06-08-7.39.05-am.jpg

The Weekend Ride and Trail Conditions Report: June 8-10, 2018-screen-shot-2018-06-08-7.37.46-am.jpg

The Weekend Ride and Trail Conditions Report: June 8-10, 2018-screen-shot-2018-06-08-7.37.09-am.jpg

The Weekend Ride and Trail Conditions Report: June 8-10, 2018-screen-shot-2018-06-08-7.36.43-am.jpg

The Weekend Ride and Trail Conditions Report: June 8-10, 2018-screen-shot-2018-06-08-7.36.09-am.jpg

Captain One Lung Administrator
    Aren't you supposed to be on vacation?

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    Yeah, how'd he get internet access from Katmandu?
    IPA will save America

fc
    Uggh, so dusty. And so perfect. The Weekend Ride and Trail Conditions Report: June 8-10, 2018-desktop52.jpg
    IPA will save America

Ariolimax columbianus

The Weekend Ride and Trail Conditions Report: June 8-10, 2018

Summer's started...stay home on da weekends! Rode my Brompton around Berkeley da other day maybe sum dirt (dat count?). Camped out in the marina and was on my brehs sailboat yesterday in da yay....pretty nice week.

Lil late report.....last week hit Hollister on da moto fo sum old man laps. Friday we rounded up a crew (got suckered into drivin, least we had shuttle vehicles) and headed up to da lost Sierra. pulled in after dark, camped @ snag lake (had an interestin visit from our campsite neighbor). Woke up Saturday hit Mills Peak, first time for a few in da group (new single track amazing thx SBTS!). Couple mo sodas @ da bottom of Mills Peak while our friends ate lunch in Graeagle, most crowded I'd ever seen da bottom trailhead!

After that hit Packer saddle and rode back into Downieville. Back in Downieville friends had to leave because one of my buddys was volunteering for open streets in Watsonville early Sunday. A couple dudes n me ended up staying at Rocky Rest CG, got gifted a bunch wood from our neighbors, grilled sum meat, gazed at the stars, and next morning took an early morning plunge in the river before the trip back to SC.

Fun times, wish I had mo travel doe! Ended up buyin a Capra because the price just seems right. Trails are already dryin out up there, get up there! Big Pilipino group headed up there this weekend, wanted to go but tired of drivin! Have fun y'all!

Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Yeah, how'd he get internet access from Katmandu?
    Easy!

Name:  2B1815CB00000578-0-image-a-31_1438701554794.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  28.6 KB

Moderator Moderator
    I was up at 3am in Germany with nothing to do!

fc
    Ring of fire!!

The Weekend Ride and Trail Conditions Report: June 8-10, 2018-35063605_10156279035293213_2071994100214661120_o.jpg
    IPA will save America

SOG
    mtbr member
    UC was super fun - fast, loose & drifty. I ride solo but everybody I come across up there is super cool. Good times

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Was i the only one that got rained on Saturday morning? Alum rock was so muddy that i actually needed a full on bike wash. Tires looked like a fat bike.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll View Post
    Was i the only one that got rained on Saturday morning? Alum rock was so muddy that i actually needed a full on bike wash. Tires looked like a fat bike.
    Whaaaat? Rain??
    IPA will save America

fc
    Beer at Humble

Sea
    IPA will save America

SOG
    mtbr member
    Love Humble Sea - going there after todays ride.

fc
    Ride for 5 hours, beeeeeeeeer, beach with family.

I have FOMO - fear of missing out. Sometimes.

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I started around 5:50am, and even on my way to the office afterward, the entire freeway was wet and my windshield wiper was on. Heavy fog perhaps. All around Milpitas the pavement was wet.

There is now a large area of mud on my driveway from the bike wash. Seriously, can anyone else back me up on this? There was another guy riding and his bike was about as muddy as mine. The typical Filipino crew that rides Alum Rock on Saturday didn't show up yesterday either.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I rode Purisima Creek Redwoods OSP on Saturday morning at 7:30AM, and it was wet. Heavy mist, condensation drizzling down from the redwoods. Puddles, and muddy. At 11am, I was out on the driveway washing my bike.

I started around 5:50am, and even on my way to the office afterward, the entire freeway was wet and my windshield wiper was on. Heavy fog perhaps. All around Milpitas the pavement was wet.

There is now a large area of mud on my driveway from the bike wash. Seriously, can anyone else back me up on this? There was another guy riding and his bike was about as muddy as mine. The typical Filipino crew that rides Alum Rock on Saturday didn't show up yesterday either.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Yeah, it was wet where it typically gets wet from fog Saturday morning, at least for me. I spent the whole morning in San Francisco in the Cole Valley/Forest Hill/Twin Peaks area, it was pretty wet on the roads to the point where I _almost_ wanted fenders. Spent the morning doing trail work and rode a bit in the area after, it was wet in the shady spots but not really muddy. Dried out when the sun came out around 10 or 11, and things were back to normal after a couple hours around 2pm. Nothing out of the ordinary for SF, I'm guessing this is unusual for Milpitas?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Downieville was great this weekend, temps rather cool, better than normal early summer swelter...

Rider went down on Confluence and was airlifted out. Stable condition it appears but damn that's a long fall! Is it one of our members? I can't make out the bike.
    The Weekend Ride and Trail Conditions Report: June 8-10, 2018-20180610_204632.jpg

mtbr member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Rider went down on Confluence and was airlifted out. Stable condition it appears but damn that's a long fall! Is it one of our members? I can't make out the bike.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180610_204632.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	164.1 KB 
ID:	1203180
    Scary fall with the river below. Shouldn’t have posted that right before the CES race. Now it’s going to be in the back of my mind the whole time.

Formerly dvo
    Somehow managed to guide 14 or so through the in and outs of the Aptos area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm the problem....

fc
    Socal crewThe Weekend Ride and Trail Conditions Report: June 8-10, 2018-img_8240.jpg
    IPA will save America

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I sessioned a climb?!

Since I started focusing more on technique and expanding my skills it has quickly dawned on me how being winded and/or having tired legs and back can completely negate any skills on a drop. So I worked on my fitness in the name of better descending

loopy counter
    Ring of fire!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	35063605_10156279035293213_2071994100214661120_o.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	1203003
    Cool. Loved the big sky on Saturday. That halo was shining for most of the afternoon, but I doubt many people even noticed.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by knobs View Post
    Cool. Loved the big sky on Saturday. That halo was shining for most of the afternoon, but I doubt many people even noticed.
    what is that halo??
    IPA will save America

loopy counter
    what is that halo??
    Funny, that was the question asked by everyone after I pointed it out. But fc, you gotta be joking. I though you were a weather geek.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by knobs View Post
    Funny, that was the question asked by everyone after I pointed it out. But fc, you gotta be joking. I though you were a weather geek.
    Tell us!!!!!

I've never seen one til that day everyone was so stoked I noticed it and pointed it out.
    IPA will save America

Over it
    Jun 2010
    Tell us!!!!!

I've never seen one til that day everyone was so stoked I noticed it and pointed it out.
    It's caused by sunlight passing through ice crystals in cirrus clouds. It's similar to what causes sun dogs--which we saw at school last week (I didn't see the halo, although I didn't get out of the house to ride until 6).
    Nice e-bike! (sorry about your penis)

The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

loopy counter
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    It's caused by sunlight passing through ice crystals in cirrus clouds. It's similar to what causes sun dogs--which we saw at school last week (I didn't see the halo, although I didn't get out of the house to ride until 6).
    Bingo. Also called a 22 degree halo: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/22%C2%B0_halo

On Saturday, first I noticed it was a 2pm. Each time I looked up from the trail, it was there. Finished riding at 7pm, still there but fading as the sunset took over the sky.

loopy counter
    Scale for these things is huge, hard to miss once you know it's there. Wide angle pic standing 20 feet from my bike (bottom center).
    The Weekend Ride and Trail Conditions Report: June 8-10, 2018-img_1114.jpg

Trail Gnome
    Downieville was nice; a little snow in Lakes Basin, just to keep it interesting