fc
    stoked Administrator

The Weekend Ride Report: November 10-12

Some pretty good moisture in the Bay Area hills means dust is surely on the down low and hero dirt is threatening to make an appearance here and there.

There's some more moisture on tap today but the weekend is looking dialed. Next week and beyond is looking pretty wet.

Loop of model images

What are your plans for the next three days? Ride report please.The Weekend Ride Report: November 10-12-screen-shot-2017-11-10-9.56.36-am.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    last weekend Braille+Ridge were like velcro. If raining today, maybe i'll give stuff a break on sat, then ride Sun and possibly Mon?
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dth656 View Post
    last weekend Braille+Ridge were like velcro. If raining today, maybe i'll give stuff a break on sat, then ride Sun and possibly Mon?
    Since we are at the very start of the rainy season and the ground is still parched, it doesn't need much time to dry.

Also, here's the actual rain that's falling in Demo. https://www.wunderground.com/persona...?ID=KCASOQUE20

If it reaches close to an inch in the last 24 hours, yeah, then give it a day. Doesn't look like a ton of rain today though.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I’ll probably head to demo tomorrow

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Anybody know how Tamarancho is doing after this rain. I'm sure somebody's been out there today?

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by griffsterb View Post
    I’ll probably head to demo tomorrow
    Demo sounds good to me. Time? Carpool?
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by sfmtber View Post
    Anybody know how Tamarancho is doing after this rain. I'm sure somebody's been out there today?
    Very wet, puddles everywhere, muddy enough that tires are making tracks. Wtf? It went from dry and dusty to this over this small storm. Might want to give it a couple days.

mtbr member
    Rode Delavega for the first time ever today. The WCCC DH course is actually really fun. Super-D tomorrow will be all pedaling, but still fun with the perfect traction.

Trail Gnome Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Rode Delavega for the first time ever today. The WCCC DH course is actually really fun. Super-D tomorrow will be all pedaling, but still fun with the perfect traction.

How’s yer arse feeling after that pic?

mtbr member

The Weekend Ride Report: November 10-12

Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Demo sounds good to me. Time? Carpool?
    I’m gonna fly solo I think, crappy week of work got me feeling burned out. Need that solo rejuvenation

PRETENDURO
    Hoping to ride. We’ll see.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    How’s yer arse feeling after that pic?
    I was the camera man.
    #29erProbs

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Took some photos of the good light yesterday
    Just driving

Pow

IPA will save America

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Headed to Demo Forest this mornin. 10 am at the lot if anyone is up for it
    IPA will save America

mtbr member

Rockville was good to go.

Rockville was super fun yesterday.

The Weekend Ride Report: November 10-12-img_6596.jpg
    The Weekend Ride Report: November 10-12-img_6595.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Rode Sly Park for the first time yesterday, was pleasantly surprised. I couldn't find much info on the area but it was beautiful, Lots of climbing with fast downs. Nothing to hard or teck. Rode maybe 8 miles did not see one biker but maybe 20 riders in the parking area so there must be more to ride

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Headed to Demo Forest this mornin. 10 am at the lot if anyone is up for it
    I'll be there at 10.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by bmmh View Post
    I'll be there at 10.
    Right on. So AWESOME to meet you!!

fc
    IPA will save America

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Demo Forest was so amazing my bike came cout cleaner than when it started.

It was truly, truly amazing. A rating for Braille and Flow. Tomorrow it will be A+ since the few soft spots will be gone.

The Weekend Ride Report: November 10-12-img_1850.heic.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Rode all the open trails at Annadel--about 15 or so miles. The northern section of the park is ok, but you get some views of Santa Rosa that shows the path of the fire over the hills where houses used to be. The biggest changes I saw were from the bulldozers. One of my favorite shade trees on the Canyon climb is no more. But I'm glad they were able to save as much as they did. Already there are green shoots coming up through the blackened soil.
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

Trail Gnome Moderator
    I rode Annadel today too...it was awesome The upper/back part of the park is off limits...I’m not sure of the actual damage to the trails but, I’m sure we’ll be able to get in there in the Spring Time. I rode for 2.5 hrs, took some pictures, and cleaned up a little debris here and there. The park is still beautiful and the trails are running great...I started at Howarth Park for a little extra. If you are unsure of the park conditions, don’t be...come on out and ride. I stopped at Plow Brewing after for a couple pints
    https://www.plowbrewing.com/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Weekend Ride Report: November 10-12-d07f1906-6af3-495a-b155-723fdb7ecb0c.jpg  

The Weekend Ride Report: November 10-12-d5d534fb-bb52-4a32-adcd-d2866652fcaf.jpg  

The Weekend Ride Report: November 10-12-0cb44bb6-0e8e-45eb-880b-910965c01766.jpg  

The Weekend Ride Report: November 10-12-f5e22977-e225-4c96-8212-23dfc2881fa6.jpg  

The Weekend Ride Report: November 10-12-a0383c19-4f5f-46f2-a531-0d0132834ad3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Demo was good. A little greasy in spots. 2nd run on Flow in the afternoon was the best conditions. Did 3 laps for 30/5300 and barely made it back to my car. So exhausting after not riding for a couple weeks.

Conditions will be phenomenal tomorrow if anyone is thinking of going out there.

Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    Im sorry ya'll. I've been slippin on my ride report duties. My new schedule has me all out of sorts.

First time I've ridden since October 1st and while it was rough with the small bit of climbing we did it felt good in the end. Man I'm out of shape... We rode Flemming Meadow/Sly Park. We were scouting a route for a women's ride next week and met up with a guy who knew where the really fun trails were so we shuttled those a few times. Saw Dane P. and Derek Teel out there too. Good guys.

Trail 8 condition was perfect. Not too wet, not too dry. It was fairly cold at 55F or less but perfect while climbing. The other trails were super slick with wet decaying leaves but made for a slip slidin good time!

It appears my tires have been weeping because they missed the trails...
    The Weekend Ride Report: November 10-12-1011201719186.jpg

Cheeseburgler
    Some all time conditions out there in the loam. Maybe some of the best runs i have ever done.

mtbr member
    Rode Demo along with the rest of the Bay Area today. Conditions were great. Braille was fun as hell. I rode it once 4 years ago and didn't remember much about it. Wanted to hit Flow but I was running out of daylight.

mtbr member
    For some reason I hated my tires all summer, they slip and slide. Unpredictable. Loose over hardpack, hard over loosepack, doesn't matter.

all of a sudden this morning I changed my tire pressure by 1/100 of a psi and they were like magic. grip e v e r y w h e r e. I could hardly believe it. Stuck like glue. I had no idea that would make a difference. I felt like a hero all day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    Im sorry ya'll. I've been slippin on my ride report duties. My new schedule has me all out of sorts.

First time I've ridden since October 1st and while it was rough with the small bit of climbing we did it felt good in the end. Man I'm out of shape... We rode Flemming Meadow/Sly Park. We were scouting a route for a women's ride next week and met up with a guy who knew where the really fun trails were so we shuttled those a few times. Saw Dane P. and Derek Teel out there too. Good guys.

Trail 8 condition was perfect. Not too wet, not too dry. It was fairly cold at 55F or less but perfect while climbing. The other trails were super slick with wet decaying leaves but made for a slip slidin good time!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1011201719186.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	1167055
    That picture makes me uncomfortable.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Mackenzie View Post
    Rode Demo along with the rest of the Bay Area today. Conditions were great. Braille was fun as hell. I rode it once 4 years ago and didn't remember much about it. Wanted to hit Flow but I was running out of daylight.
    Once in 4 year?? Where do you ride?

Flow is definitely ready. It's now dirt-jumper smooth anymore but there's traction all around.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I always hit flow and then call it a day. I realize I've made a g rave mistake in not riding Braille all these years.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    I always hit flow and then call it a day. I realize I've made a g rave mistake in not riding Braille all these years.
    Holy moly. It IS the signature trail and it is in prime shape now. On the first half a dozen times down it, one will bypass the 20 features each time pass and say "that one i should have hit."

It's worthwhile to really slow it down and stud it. Because some/all of those are really fun for many levels.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    May 2015
    How was the HT LT on Braille?
    I guess it handles everything fast and efficient, right? But does it like air just like a Nomad or an Ibis HD?
    B

fc
    stoked Administrator
    I got to ride again today. Hike in the morning, big noon ride, bonk.

The Weekend Ride Report: November 10-12-img_1881.heic.jpg

The Weekend Ride Report: November 10-12-img_1884.heic.jpg
    IPA will save America

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BerndK View Post
    How was the HT LT on Braille?
    I guess it handles everything fast and efficient, right? But does it like air just like a Nomad or an Ibis HD?
    B
    Hightower LT on Braille was a dream. Skyno was right behind me as I made that into a flow trail of snappy turns and sweeeeeeet jumps. On the slippy logs and rocks, it tracked with a mere flutter here and there. On the rutted high-speed straightaway, it never ran out of talent and there was enough comfort and control to hit the extra credit.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Holy moly. It IS the signature trail and it is in prime shape now. On the first half a dozen times down it, one will bypass the 20 features each time pass and say "that one i should have hit."

It's worthwhile to really slow it down and stud it. Because some/all of those are really fun for many levels.
    Dude I've been missing out. Demo has moved up on my list of rides. I'll be making up for lost time hehehehehehe

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Dude I've been missing out. Demo has moved up on my list of rides. I'll be making up for lost time hehehehehehe

Here's my groms sessioning Braille. Conditons today and yesterday are back to primetime!
    IPA will save America

Formerly dvo
    Rode with Adam and my kid up above Aptos in the some the best trail conditions in a long time. You should have seen me I was shredding so hard.....Cellarmaker, Modern Times, Hop Dogma and Aptos St. bbq after to make the perfection perfect.
    Too busy shredding to take photos, you'll just have to take my word for it. Yew!!!!!
    Last edited by mtbrdan; 4 Days Ago at 08:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    1st time on bike in weeks, sadly slow in Nicene but conditions were awesome. Got passed by princess ibis like I was going backwards up the incline. Good to be back in the saddle.

mtbr member
    May 2015

Here's my groms sessioning Braille. Conditons today and yesterday are back to primetime!
    I like that video! Good job..

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Trespinero View Post
    1st time on bike in weeks, sadly slow in Nicene but conditions were awesome. Got passed by princess ibis like I was going backwards up the incline. Good to be back in the saddle.
    Princess Ibis. LOLZ. Lili.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Today I raced my first ever "DH race" at Delavega park in SC. I actually really like the format in the sense that we could session ever little section of the course over and over until we were confident. (This is in comparison to enduro racing where you maybe ride each stage once and are just looking for dangerous section or major obstacles). Conditions were perfect, and I was feeling really confident that I could lay down a fast run on this tight track. I leave the start line with good speed, round the first corner, and then right when I'm about to throw down some strong pedal strokes my chain snaps. Bummer. Probably spent around 6 hours on this course practicing throughout the weekend, and within 5 seconds of my race run it was already over.

One this I did notice though was that your rear suspension works great without a chain.

Nature Rider, Not MTBer
    My 9 yo and I rode jmp today. On Big Trees, there's a steep down, followed by a steep up. For the first time he made it up the steep up. His smile was so huge it'll keep me going all week.

Best. Ride. Evar.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackies Pasture View Post
    For some reason I hated my tires all summer, they slip and slide. Unpredictable. Loose over hardpack, hard over loosepack, doesn't matter.

all of a sudden this morning I changed my tire pressure by 1/100 of a psi and they were like magic. grip e v e r y w h e r e. I could hardly believe it. Stuck like glue. I had no idea that would make a difference. I felt like a hero all day.
    I got news for you, it's mostly the dirt

mtbr member
    Hightower LT on Braille was a dream. Skyno was right behind me as I made that into a flow trail of snappy turns and sweeeeeeet jumps. On the slippy logs and rocks, it tracked with a mere flutter here and there. On the rutted high-speed straightaway, it never ran out of talent and there was enough comfort and control to hit the extra credit.
    FC was in fact killin' it on Braille on the HT - we hit pretty much every feature and were keeping a pretty good clip - I have ridden w/ FC many times but w/ no dust we could right pretty tight and that was a golden run - it probably helped that the dirt was ridiculously grippy and cornering was magical - I think that is the best dirt I have ever ridden on Braille

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Didn't think it through since its been a while since I rode up Tractor, but it is closed as you get closer to Sawpit.

The climb sucks, but it is faster than going up Sulfur. There is a detour leading you to section 3 of flow instead.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Princess Ibis. LOLZ. Lili.
    I told her dad. He smiled. Maybe we'll make t-shirts for the great NICA athlete.
    IPA will save America

jct
    mtbr member

Saw this happen rolling the tracks toward rincon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    i will not yield to DH traffic.

ISO one entry for Grinduro 2017!

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BerndK View Post
    I like that video! Good job..
    Good job getting out of the way huh? When the kids are together, they'll do it all with a smile. They did two laps and then hiked up Braille to take videos. Maaaaaan, that thing is steep going up.

One kid got hungry and took out his power food... a bag of potato chips.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jct View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oh Sh!t! Everyone ok?

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1011201719186.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	1167055
    Good to hear from you man!!! Your tires are weeping indeed. The dirt is ready for your comeback though man. Never know how wet this winter is going to be so the time to ride is now!!
    IPA will save America

jct
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    Oh Sh!t! Everyone ok?
    tweaker was fine. he started throwing all his stuff out of the car down towards the tracks. laptop, camping, gear, propane, backpack, clothes etc.

"i'm not high or drunk or nothin'!!"

i asked him if he wanted me to call it in and he replied, "oh no! i'll just call it in stolen!"

the last thing he said before he scurried away, "volvo makes a damn safe car."
    i will not yield to DH traffic.

ISO one entry for Grinduro 2017!

fc
    stoked Administrator
    DAMN!!!! The door still opens no problem. How's that possible? On a couple recent fatal accidents on 17 and 35. The roofs of a low end Kia and Hyundai were sheared off!! Not survivable.

Glad to have Volvo now for the kids. It's gonna be a slick winter it seems.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    tweaker was fine. he started throwing all his stuff out of the car down towards the tracks. laptop, camping, gear, propane, backpack, clothes etc.

"i'm not high or drunk or nothin'!!"

i asked him if he wanted me to call it in and he replied, "oh no! i'll just call it in stolen!"

Crazy!

mtbr member
    Big day on Mt. Diablo Saturday, epic conditions for sure.
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

mtbr member
    I feel like 80% of these crashes wouldn’t have happened if we weren’t there yelling at them to go faster. Our reactions are the best part.

Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    Good to hear from you man!!! Your tires are weeping indeed. The dirt is ready for your comeback though man. Never know how wet this winter is going to be so the time to ride is now!!
    Thanks, my friend! Going to swap this weepy thing for a DHRII just in time for the wet weather.

> /dev/null 2&>1

Its easy to laugh this off as 'ha ha, what an idiot', but you really should report this.

1) This is definitely at least misdemeanor hit and run, possibly felony hit and run. The reason the crime reaches that level (even though he only destroyed his own property) is that there is a very strong correlation between leaving the scene and DUI. As you hinted, guy is probably on something and could have just as easily hit and killed a road-biker, or a car full of kids, and the dude is very likely to do this again. This guy needs help and needs to get off the road. If he faces real penalties here, that might be what makes him wake up and get help, and you could save someone's life in the process - not just his, someone he could hit in the future.

2) This is insurance fraud and makes all of our insurance more expensive. Let's face it: This guy isn't paying for Collision insurance. You are entitled to crash your own car, and if you pay for collision insurance you are entitled to have insurance pay for it (minus deductible) but when you don't, you steal from everyone who does pay collision.

Its not too late: You could phone this one in and make a statement. They could give you a photo lineup and you might identify him.

mtbr member
    I feel like 80% of these crashes wouldn’t have happened if we weren’t there yelling at them to go faster. Our reactions are the best part.

Good to see the Cal Poly team hanging it out! Go CP......

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hi FC, I see you have a hightower, I am wondering if your bike creaks as much as mine?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cvega View Post
    Hi FC, I see you have a hightower, I am wondering if your bike creaks as much as mine?
    Everyone I know that rides their SC bike hard, inevitably has lots of creaks.

Cheeseburgler
    Everyone I know that rides their SC bike hard, inevitably has lots of creaks.
    Yeah, the free bearings for life is a godsend, and more than makes up for the premium price of SC after a couple years. I probably have to do a full overhaul every 6 months or so.