Moderator Moderator

The Weekend Ride Report: March 9-11, 2018

Daylight savings time begins Sunday morning, so set your clocks up Saturday night!

This weekend looks like another off and on whirlwind of rain showers. Next week looks worse. Rain or shine, I'm riding.

The Weekend Ride Report: March 9-11, 2018-screen-shot-2018-03-08-6.52.48-pm.jpg

The Weekend Ride Report: March 9-11, 2018-screen-shot-2018-03-08-6.57.06-pm.jpg

Moderator Moderator
    And just like that, my day at Waterdog is a no go and I have to go look at a real estate project in Carmel. There are benefits to running a company, predictability is not one of them! Where are you guys riding? How is it?

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Daylight Savings Time? Truly, truly unbelievable. It seems like winter really hasn't kicked in yet.
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Daylight Savings Time? Truly, truly unbelievable. It seems like winter really hasn't kicked in yet.
    The new seasons are Spring, Summer, Ultra Summer, Fall-ish....

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    And just like that, my day at Waterdog is a no go...
    Looking like the exact same for me on Saturday, babysitter booked and everything Hopefully the dog will be dry enough on Sunday.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Thinking of riding early tomorrow morning ahead of rain that is coming in the afternoon...

Moderator Moderator
    Looking like the rain may miss the Bay Area this weekend?

mtbr member
    Rode UC today. Conditions were great but a tad wetter in a few spots than Tuesday.
    Stunning day!
    Redwoods , blue sky, great weather and dark soil = Stoke!
    Hope you can get some before the rains!

Moderator Moderator
    Was in Carmel today. Not riding unfortunately. Really, really foggy. Microclimates are an amazing thing!

Trail Gnome
    I got in a 3 hr ride today...bring on the rain
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Weekend Ride Report: March 9-11, 2018-bc82d35c-b011-49d7-918b-9d7ddafe66c8.jpg  

The Weekend Ride Report: March 9-11, 2018-60929b2f-31ec-454b-b371-687880c50001.jpg  

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    I got in a 3 hr ride today...bring on the rain
    New bike?

Formerly dvo
    Another after work cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm the problem....

fc
    Got to ride with Ibis! They're killing it over there growing staff every month!!

The Weekend Ride Report: March 9-11, 2018-28827002_10156048078443213_4445768261444570085_o.jpg

The Weekend Ride Report: March 9-11, 2018-img_4901-1-.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Some good peeps there at Ibis FC! Good times.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by ronski View Post
    Some good peeps there at Ibis FC! Good times.
    So last time I visited summer last year, they had 16 employees. Today, 26. Place was hoppin.
    IPA will save America

SOG
    mtbr member
    Afternoon ride at UC conditions were great. Stopped off at Humble Sea after to kick off the weekend proper...Attachment 1186850
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Weekend Ride Report: March 9-11, 2018-hs.jpg  

singletrack bound
    confirmed: Nisene is running good!!! (for now)

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    JNT was good this morning.

mtbr member
    Skyline (Napa) was excellent. The rocks and roots were a little slippery but that just makes it more fun.

Formerly dvo
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone No Balone View Post
    It was A+ this morning, judging from the amount of rain showers it got early this afternoon I would think the lower stuff will be slick as....Bear Mtn tomorrow.
    I'm the problem....

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by SOG View Post
    Afternoon ride at UC conditions were great. Stopped off at Humble Sea after to kick off the weekend proper...Attachment 1186850
    Holy crap that looks good.

Water dog was mostly dry with some larger puddles near the plank crossings. The little bit of moisture seemed to help grip even though it still looked pretty dry. There were a couple muddy spots worth going around to avoid making ruts.

Moderator Moderator
    I know everyone has been holding their breath for the Arastradero ride report, so here it is. Actually, I'm grateful to have the Dero so close to my house! Dirt is great, Wood Rat is dry, the Bowl has no water in it. Someone has built a small jump into the big bowl transition, that if hit with speed is legit. It's all I had time for today. Interestingly, there are tons of turkeys up there. I mean turkeys everywhere, even on the road.

The Weekend Ride Report: March 9-11, 2018-img_7619-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Skeggs was all-time today. I haven't ridden it yet this good. A few muddy spots between rollers, but mostly just tacky dirt.

The Weekend Ride Report: March 9-11, 2018-img_20180310_091512.jpgThe Weekend Ride Report: March 9-11, 2018-img_20180310_084718.jpgThe Weekend Ride Report: March 9-11, 2018-img_20180310_085700.jpg

singletrack bound
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbrdan View Post
    It was A+ this morning, judging from the amount of rain showers it got early this afternoon I would think the lower stuff will be slick as....Bear Mtn tomorrow.
    My son rode it today during the rain shower and he said it got pretty wet in there this afternoon.
    I may head down to Ord tomorrow since it was such a blast last Sunday!

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    I know everyone has been holding their breath for the Arastradero ride report, so here it is. Actually, I'm grateful to have the Dero so close to my house! Dirt is great, Wood Rat is dry, the Bowl has no water in it. Someone has built a small jump into the big bowl transition, that if hit with speed is legit. It's all I had time for today. Interestingly, there are tons of turkeys up there. I mean turkeys everywhere, even on the road.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7619-1.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	1186915
    Rode there for the first time today...heard those turkeys gobbling all day...lmao!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    @mtbrdan I saw you on the 17 today.

Got caught up in about an hour of drizzle. Made flow and braille slick.

the half breed devil
    today i walked twenty plus blocks from my house to pick up my hawk hill with the new dropper post, wheelset and rear tire.

details here:

Post a PIC of your latest purchase [bike related only]

i chased two guys on 'cross bikes through a singletrack i didn't know about that parallels park presidio boulevard to the west for a few blocks, then stopped at home to get my gear after which i took a short test ride through GG park, which is a great test area for new gear:

The Weekend Ride Report: March 9-11, 2018-screen-shot-2018-03-10-9.36.45-pm.jpg

there was a very slight rain going most of the hour and a half i was riding, which made for near optimal trail conditions:

The Weekend Ride Report: March 9-11, 2018-img_2805-1-.jpg

these new wheels add a whole new dimension of haul-ass to my new bike, and the dropper post adds another wonderful aspect to its already playful personality.

tomorrow will be either a short grind through the headlands or another urban assault.

we'll see. the sky to the west is looking pretty threatening:

The Weekend Ride Report: March 9-11, 2018-img_2814.jpg
    Last edited by shekky; 03-12-2018 at 08:10 AM.

SOG
    mtbr member
    Rode Carlmont with my little guy Saturday and off to UC Sunday
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Weekend Ride Report: March 9-11, 2018-g.jpg  

The Weekend Ride Report: March 9-11, 2018-g2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Lime Ridge 10am today

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    It rained pretty solid all day in South Santa Cruz County yesterday, Saturday. I too am thinking Ord or maybe a Toro/Ord combo. I imagine lower Nisene is pretty soggy.

Still laying in bed though feeling like I am an hour late.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    And it still is! Just a little mud in the flats at the bottom, but magically delicious in the Loam Zone. Pretty close to a perfect combo of conditions, weather, and deserted trails.
    Nice e-bike! (sorry about your penis)

The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti575inCA View Post
    Lime Ridge 10am today

Lime ridge was great today. Lots of mtb out enjoying this weather before the rain.

singletrack bound
    Time change threw me off this AM.....Hung at the house with the wife then decided to go back in to Nisene.
    Didn't feel like driving down to Ord after all and glad I did. Mike and I rode up to Rosalia where we ran into flipinidaho making a loop through Demo. We held high praises for the weather and the view together and promptly went our different ways.......It was as nice as it was on Friday or better.
    Tone.

the half breed devil
    just a short follow up to yesterday's ride after i watched the warriors lose to minnesota:

The Weekend Ride Report: March 9-11, 2018-screen-shot-2018-03-11-5.43.22-pm.jpg

today's ride included a short-ish but fun section of singletrack between 14th avenue and park presidio boulevard, which spits out into the presidio of san francisco.

the presidio has got some fun stuff in it, albeit short. however, traction is better than i've seen it in a while, given what singletrack there is in the presidio is sand, roots and eucalyptus leaves.

a small/medium access road climb brings a rider to this scenic overlook, and on to the arguello bike lane into golden gate park:

The Weekend Ride Report: March 9-11, 2018-img_2818.jpg

i would have ridden back through the park to the beach, but i left my other kind bar on my desk.

wilder ranch next weekend?

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Lime Ridge 10am today
    Lime ridge was great today. Lots of mtb out enjoying this weather before the rain.

Shame I didn't wander to mtbr this morning. My buddy & I got a late start after installing a Shockwiz on shock. I suspect we were climbing when we met you guys coming back down.

Santa in the full-face. :-)

Mostly dry again, but FUN! LOT of MTBs & hikers & well-behaved off-leash dogs out today.

But I'm getting ahead of myself...

Thursday was 1st time at Rockville. Just a few rocks ... everywhere! Once we found May-December+Arch+Twisted Tree+Jockey Junction, we proceeded to wear those trails out! Eight passes thru 'em the gps-track sez. :-) I look forward to getting comfortable on those rocks in a few months ...

The Weekend Ride Report: March 9-11, 2018-2195-l.jpg

Friday was Lime Ridge with Shockwiz on forks.

Saturday I rode to the MBOSC Dig Day on Uconn, and spent a few hours dancing with my favorite Rogue Hoe. I think she likes me.

New left knee is scheduled for March 27th. Just in case ... I'm getting my money's worth out of the oem unit! ;-)

Catfish ...

mtbr member
    Was considering not riding today since I though SC may be on the wet side and my knee was bugging me after riding UC on Fri.
    Man I'm glad I got out today. Killer weather and the trails were just awesome!
    Did some exploring on some new trails today. Definitely hit some next level trails for me. Steeper and chunkier.
    Don't know why but I always end up challenging myself when I ride solo. Probably not the best call but thats how it works out usually.

The Weekend Ride Report: March 9-11, 2018-2018-03-11-14.53.44.jpg

The Weekend Ride Report: March 9-11, 2018-2018-03-11-19.09.19.jpg

The Weekend Ride Report: March 9-11, 2018-2018-03-11-14.53.10.jpg

The Weekend Ride Report: March 9-11, 2018-2018-03-11-14.55.45.jpg

Formerly dvo
    Started on Bear Mountain, rode over to this amazing view and back. Makes it all worth while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm the problem....

mtbr member
    Conditions were soooo good today in Santa Cruz. Going again tomorrow morning before all the rain comes back.

mtbr member
    Time change threw me off this AM.....Hung at the house with the wife then decided to go back in to Nisene.
    Didn't feel like driving down to Ord after all and glad I did. Mike and I rode up to Rosalia where we ran into flipinidaho making a loop through Demo. We held high praises for the weather and the view together and promptly went our different ways.......It was as nice as it was on Friday or better.
    Tone.
    Good to see you out there Tone. Flow was pretty good but a little slick on some corners. I had to trust the tires to grip. Luckily, they did.

mtbr member
    I ended up with time on my hands yesterday afternoon and all my normal riding partners occupied. Solo riding works for me, so I went up to A-Del on my own.

It's funny how you find ways to challenge yourself to keep it interesting and to work on skills/fitness.

After getting up to the lake and grabbing a swig of water from my bottle, I decided to give myself a bit of a challenge. I wanted to see if I could ride up Richardson, down N. Burma, and back to the lake on Live Oak/Rough Go without unclipping or stopping for any reason. Portions of N. Burma and Live Oak are sorta tricky and technical, so it wasn't necessarily a given that this was possible for me. Now, I wish I had timed it because I did it and felt really good in the process.

Oh, I rode it on my Homegrown Hardtail SS.
    One gear is all you need.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Tone.
    I did the same thing happily after catching Black Panther matinee with jr. good thing I kept it to one beer there because I wouldn't have made it to Sand Pt. and down a classic descent with zero hikers or bikers seen at 6:30pm. Perfect dirt and warm to boot.

ask
    user
    Meh

The Weekend Ride Report: March 9-11, 2018-spin-5-_preview.jpeg
    The Weekend Ride Report: March 9-11, 2018-meh-2-_preview.jpegThe Weekend Ride Report: March 9-11, 2018-_randlells_%95_instagram_photos_and_videos.jpg
    The Weekend Ride Report: March 9-11, 2018-2018-03-11-08.49.19-1732778516175726622_317903.jpg
    "...That said, we exhausted the comedy material in this thread, so we're done here." -KMax

mtbr member
    I had just made a cup of coffee on Sunday afternoon when an opportunity to ride opened up. I poured the coffee in a water bottle and added ice, almond milk and maple syrup to make it enjoyable on the trail. I shouldn't be surprised that it turned out to be such a good ride! One of those days when everything just clicks! My fitness up the climb I chose was better than I thought I had in me, and when I turned to come back down I was on fire. Finding perfect flow through the rocks, carrying more speed, boosting off everything I could like an excited kid, pulling out that perfect cornering technique and putting the side knobs to hard work. I know my next ride or many rides may not be as awesome, but it's really nice to have those perfect days where it all comes together. The kind of ride that sticks with you and motivates you on the frustrating rides or the times you can't ride. Can't wait to get back out there. And I will have a bottle of coffee with me!

The Weekend Ride Report: March 9-11, 2018-img_20180311_153817529.jpg

mtbr member
    I got out this weekend. I'm getting a nice loop figured out that I can ride straight from the garage. It's nothing super technical but a great fitness run and there is some fun stuff.

The Weekend Ride Report: March 9-11, 2018-stumpy.jpg
    :wq

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn View Post
    I had just made a cup of coffee on Sunday afternoon when an opportunity to ride opened up. I poured the coffee in a water bottle and added ice, almond milk and maple syrup to make it enjoyable on the trail. I shouldn't be surprised that it turned out to be such a good ride! One of those days when everything just clicks! My fitness up the climb I chose was better than I thought I had in me, and when I turned to come back down I was on fire. Finding perfect flow through the rocks, carrying more speed, boosting off everything I could like an excited kid, pulling out that perfect cornering technique and putting the side knobs to hard work. I know my next ride or many rides may not be as awesome, but it's really nice to have those perfect days where it all comes together. The kind of ride that sticks with you and motivates you on the frustrating rides or the times you can't ride. Can't wait to get back out there. And I will have a bottle of coffee with me!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180311_153817529.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	132.3 KB 
ID:	1187214
    Nice. I can identify with the stoke.
    One gear is all you need.