Trail Gnome Moderator

Weekend Ride Report March 17th-19th

I assume the Mods are out searching for a pot-o-gold...actually, they're probably out riding. It looks to be a great weekend, there is some rain in the forecast for next week...so everybody better get out there and enjoy these final days of Winter

mtbr member

Yessir ...

Tough little sprint to the Tree on Kennedy today. Shaved off a bit from last ride but I'm gonna have a tough time scrounging even a sub 40. I need to really get busy these last two weeks.
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

mtbr member
    Anyone check out Crockett this week? My guess is it's still a mess but I wouldn't mind being pleasantly surprised

mtbr member
    Went over the bars descending a trail behind the water tanks on the one rocky corner in all of SC. My body and bike are fine, but really sad I destroyed my iPhone 6s. It's a lot worse than it looks in the picture. On the bright side conditions are perfect.

Trail Gnome Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Went over the bars descending a trail behind the water tanks on the one rocky corner in all of SC. My body and bike are fine, but really sad I destroyed my iPhone 6s. It's a lot worse than it looks in the picture. On the bright side conditions are perfect.
    Sorry about your phone...that burrito is bigger than your arm

James.Hamilton
    Hit Granite Bay for a quick spin. Things are drying up real nice with the usual spots still holding some water. The PO has doubled in size from last week it seems but still not crossing onto the trails yet. The most damage I see from all the weather is from the weather and not people on horses or bikes. Trail erosion all over with some face plant material if you judge your line wrong.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010

24 miles of smooth ribbon at Folsom.

Not normally my kind of thing, but it is really beutiful riding Browns Ravine. Sorry, pictures are always sideways, I tried to turn ipad 1/4 turn, but still loaded wrong. Weekend Ride Report March 17th-19th-img_4812.jpg

Trail Gnome Moderator
    Fixed it for you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Weekend Ride Report March 17th-19th-img_0183.jpg  

mtbr member
    Rode Scott's Flat Trail after work today. Perfect for the first 2/3 and then bad mud. Walked a few sloppy spots, it's going to get worse after the rain next week.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Thank you! Really.

Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    Thanks man!

Slammed at work.... then I rode. Haha

mtbr member
    Wylder. 18+ miles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Enchanted..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Checked out Pacifica since I don't get out there enough, boyscout flowish area is not in the greatest shape I'd avoid it if you head out there this weekend. Jumps up top and big jumps on the sides are in excellent shape. XXX has a few spots with some large ruts and a washed out berm, but it was pretty damn good apart from that.

Hit a pretty big jump line self paced as I'd never seen anyone riding it, but it was in superb condition. I had huge overshoot of the pictured jump that I held on to in da vid. Was all smiles and laughs today, was super stoked at learning that line. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ggsd...ature=youtu.be
    Weekend Ride Report March 17th-19th-img_1172.jpg

mtbr member
    Anyone going to SC on Sunday? Never been, looking for a friendly guide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SOG
    mtbr member
    Thinking Harvey West and Polo grounds to test out my new dj - giddy

mtbr member
    I'm getting too old for this "enduro" style riding. I woke up this morning and couldn't even get out of bed. My neck, shoulder, and upper back are so sore. Looks like I'll be stuck inside doing nothing the rest of the weekend.

mtbr member
    Is that some Taqueria Vallarta?

Dirty by Nature
    Jun 2010
    Got in 23 miles in Nisene this morning, Epicenter to Ridge trail. Lots of slides/slumps/trees on the way up, but nothing hard to get around. The s/t is running dark and faaast.

Random observations: If you're into flowers, they're starting to pop, including trillium at lower elevations. There's a BIG slide a couple miles above Sand Point, but you can ride the edge of it. A bit farther up there's a work truck that got stuck; evidently they were trying to drive from Highland to Aptos (creative but ultimately epicly futile). Heard there's a newer Land Rover stuck in the mud closer to Buzzard's Lagoon. Finally, ran into a guy with a flat on his hybrid bike just below Ridge trail--no tube, pump, or clue. Gave him a patch kit, but he was too impatient (and it was a good tear), so he was looking at an 11.5 mile hike out...until Quadzilla Aaron came along with a pro patch and duct tape. Good karma. Also, it was cool to see the lagoon and sag ponds (caused by faults) all full of water. It's gonna be an awesome spring.

Oh, and the edible mushroom season might be over around SC. I didn't see hardly any shrooms in general, and I rode through one of my best chanterelle spots--nothin'.
    Last edited by dirtvert; 03-18-2017 at 08:32 PM.
    Friends don't let friends ride e-"bikes" on dirt.

Nature is not a sidewalk (I'm looking at you, MidPen).

mtbr member
    First trail ride yesterday after two months off rehabbing a stubborn case of runner's knee.

Holy cow, Lagoon Valley was not the smooth XC ride I was hoping for. It is, what could best be described, as a hardpack rock garden. There are some massive ruts and holes up to 3 feet deep and one slide where the trail is washed out near the southern antenna.

Be careful out there on fast hardpack trails if you haven't been since the big storms.

mtbr member
    Rockville is in great shape right now. It is so green right now and the wildflowers are popping. That place has some fun stuff I don't ride there enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Mackenzie View Post
    Is that some Taqueria Vallarta?
    Yep, this was my second time there and I wasn't too impressed. I just like that there are lots of windows so I can see my bike the whole time.

Despite a pinched nerve and Jeni having heart attack symptoms we rode yesterday evening and today. Slow and easy rides though. There's no stopping our roll...

We don't even need wheels
    Weekend Ride Report March 17th-19th-2182017163422.jpg

Got my custom decals on. Thanks Stikrd!
    Weekend Ride Report March 17th-19th-20170318_105506.jpg

Almost complete. Need shock decals.
    Weekend Ride Report March 17th-19th-218201716322.jpg

Jeni decided to ride down our 48 steps. Prefaced by "Hold my purse" as she strapped on her helmet.
    Weekend Ride Report March 17th-19th-img_20170317_145315_567.jpg

Love my shuttle rig.
    Weekend Ride Report March 17th-19th-218201716312.jpg

Now to relax... and yes I just ate all of them.
    Weekend Ride Report March 17th-19th-2182017163042.jpg

]
    Glad you're OK otherwise. OTB can really suck. That burrito looks like a perfect cure. While you're in the bathroom might as well clean up that arm. Haha

Trail Gnome Moderator
    2.5 hrs of solo riding at Annadel today. The dirt was in the best condition I think I've ridden there; it was spectacular. For the record, I didn't ride Ridge Trail...that one will have some sloppy sections. I stopped at Cooperage Brewing afterwords for a couple pints.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Weekend Ride Report March 17th-19th-img_1146.jpg  

Weekend Ride Report March 17th-19th-img_1143.jpg  

huck to flat

Golden Hour

The foothills are LUSH!!

Browns Ravine

Quote Originally Posted by The Trail Bum View Post
    The foothills are LUSH!!

Browns Ravine

Now is the time for photos and videos. It's stunningly beautiful out there.

Trail Gnome Moderator
    I'm getting too old for this "enduro" style riding. I woke up this morning and couldn't even get out of bed. My neck, shoulder, and upper back are so sore. Looks like I'll be stuck inside doing nothing the rest of the weekend.
    LOL...that's how I feel on a good morning

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    Now is the time for photos and videos. It's stunningly beautiful out there.
    Since you asked. Buckeye on Skyline.

Weekend Ride Report March 17th-19th-2017-03-19_08-05-21.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    First Henry Coe ride of the year. The "break in" trip. I gotta be in a special mode for 'Coe.

Started with a JDT to Spike Jones loop to warm up. Then we proceeded straight up Coit rd to Coit Springs trail to really feel the "Coe Factor".
    From there, Coit Springs/ Cattle Duster/Partial Domino Pond.

Next, we railed back the way came and then headed down Grapevine and up/down Anza to Coit rd and back to Hunting Hollow. 19/3300

Trails ran the gammut. Some dry, some hero, and a touch of slop.

mtbr member
    Santa Cruz was running perfect yesterday! Emma was velcro! Anything steep was awesome as well. Perfect riding conditions with high clouds and cool temps.
    Sun came out just in time for beers and fish tacos in town!
    Perfect day!

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Despite a pinched nerve and Jeni having heart attack symptoms we rode yesterday evening and today. Slow and easy rides though. There's no stopping our roll...

We don't even need wheels
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2182017163422.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	203.5 KB 
ID:	1127337

Got my custom decals on. Thanks Stikrd!

Name:	20170318_105506.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	167.9 KB 
ID:	1127338

Almost complete. Need shock decals.

Name:	218201716322.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	225.1 KB 
ID:	1127340

Jeni decided to ride down our 48 steps. Prefaced by "Hold my purse" as she strapped on her helmet.

Name:	IMG_20170317_145315_567.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	409.4 KB 
ID:	1127339

Love my shuttle rig.

Name:	218201716312.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	203.9 KB 
ID:	1127341

Now to relax... and yes I just ate all of them.

Name:	2182017163042.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	1127342
    That's the winning post right there bud. That's a weekend well sorted. Stickrd huh???
    IPA will save America

Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    That's the winning post right there bud. That's a weekend well sorted. Stickrd huh???
    Thanks brother!

Stikrd set me up. They got a new large plotter so build times are reduced. Richard is also keen on water transfer graphics. He made a killer design for me when I thought I was buying a Recluse. They are picking up more brands too. Trying to support our locals as much as possible. https://www.stikrd.com

Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho View Post
    Since you asked. Buckeye on Skyline.
    And I thank you. Haha

Quote Originally Posted by tomikazi View Post
    First Henry Coe ride of the year. The "break in" trip. I gotta be in a special mode for 'Coe.

Trails ran the gammut. Some dry, some hero, and a touch of slop.
    Yes! Keep the green coming. Before you know it everything will be brown.

mtbr member

30 minutes of pain

Rode uphill pretty hard for 30 minutes. Pressed the button on the stopwatch then fell over. ... 23:30 only to tree but made some new riding friends on the way up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    skeggs on sat, and annadel today. hero dirt on north, south burma. seems like a lot of soil got washed away on rough go and cobblestone, so rocky and fun!
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

used to be RipRoar
    Rode Tamarancho twice, most excellent conditions with enough mud to keep it fun. Mt Diablo covered in rain ruts and downed trees but still lots trails in prime shape.

mtb'er
    Did some trail work.
    Weekend Ride Report March 17th-19th-img_8824.jpg

Since the Cool MTB Race didn't have a vintage class this year, I opted to race around by my vintage self :-)
    Weekend Ride Report March 17th-19th-img_8810.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    Did some trail work.

Name:	IMG_8824.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	207.3 KB 
ID:	1127547

Since the Cool MTB Race didn't have a vintage class this year, I opted to race around by my vintage self :-)

Name:	IMG_8810.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	201.8 KB 
ID:	1127548
    I sure hope you don't reel in folks like some of my friends would with a bike like that?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Drug my freshly 50 year oldness up the hard way to Sand point on Olive Springs and then to the top of Nisene off the back in a group of 11 (patient) riders Saturday. There were river crossings and wet socks and loads of smiles for a good portion of the ride. Arrived back to a buddy's house and a bucket of carnitas and a fiesta to ring in the 50's right.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Despite a pinched nerve and Jeni having heart attack symptoms we rode yesterday evening and today. Slow and easy rides though. There's no stopping our roll...Jeni decided to ride down our 48 steps. Prefaced by "Hold my purse" as she strapped on her helmet.
    Keep rollin man. Met you guys in Auburn last year - i was riding with Heath/Hub, i snapped a photo for you with the three of you in it. Good peeps - nice bike, but what's up with no Intense? I want to ride some different brands myself. I got attached to Intense but feel like I'm missing out. YT, Transition, Evil...some great bikes out there. I need more travel!

fc
    stoked Administrator
    After five days of hibernation, I woke up on Saturday and stayed up, trying to exorcise the plague! On Sunday, I built up a bike (in slow motion) I was so worked but at least it kept me awake.

I'm on the way to recover and able to eat now. Lost 8 lbs though. If I can only rid my chest of all this phlegm i would be dialed.

Weekend Ride Report March 17th-19th-img_5417.jpg

28.2 lbs. Still has the Magura Vyron dropper which is usable but that remote is just not workable!

fc
    IPA will save America

Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    After five days of hibernation, I woke up on Saturday and stayed up, trying to exorcise the plague! On Sunday, I built up a bike (in slow motion) I was so worked but at least it kept me awake.

I'm on the way to recover and able to eat now. Lost 8 lbs though. If I can only rid my chest of all this phlegm i would be dialed.

28.2 lbs. Still has the Magura Vyron dropper which is usable but that remote is just not workable!

fc
    Good to hear you're on the mend even if it's slow going.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dth656 View Post
    skeggs on sat, and annadel today. hero dirt on north, south burma. seems like a lot of soil got washed away on rough go and cobblestone, so rocky and fun!
    Did Annadel on Saturday for the first time. It was awesome.

Pretty relentless rockiness on those two trails. Sounds like it's usually more filled in, then?

Same thing at Tamarancho last weekend - every rock and root has a little more contour with the missing dirt. Good stuff.

And griz, we did ride Ridge and I don't remember it being muddy at all.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by somanygoodbikes View Post
    Anyone check out Crockett this week? My guess is it's still a mess but I wouldn't mind being pleasantly surprised
    I rode Crockett this weekend. Unfortunately I've got to call it - the next time I go there is only for trail work - it's unrideable.

Cows have trashed Soaring Eagle, Sugar City is cow thrashed, overgrown, mud pitted and rutted in places and now having some major erosion issues in some of the tight corners. The path back to the fire road from the base of Sugar City is a swamp (if you can find it) and then the fire road out Tree Frog (including up the hill) and back up to start of Sugar City is also cow trashed. To the point where even if you have the legs to climb those hills, the trail conditions will prevent it.

Tree frog is what it usually is, Shit ton of leaves, could be cleaned up but there are two trees down across it one that you can walk around about halfway down, one unpassable on the bottom part, I had to use the alternate out trail.

Sad. I loved that place for a quick hit, fun time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trespinero View Post
    Drug my freshly 50 year oldness up the hard way to Sand point on Olive Springs and then to the top of Nisene off the back in a group of 11 (patient) riders Saturday. There were river crossings and wet socks and loads of smiles for a good portion of the ride. Arrived back to a buddy's house and a bucket of carnitas and a fiesta to ring in the 50's right.
    I can't imagine what Olive Springs looks like right now after this winter. That sounds like a death march.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    I can't imagine what Olive Springs looks like right now after this winter. That sounds like a death march.
    It was a full on river at the bottom one rider went for it and missed, completely drenched. I had to walk a couple sections, there was plenty of traction if you had the leg/lung combo. It did make the top part from Sand Point up seem easier though so I guess there was that. You still in Seascape? PM me if you ever want to ride

Trail Gnome Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Trespinero View Post
    Happy belated birthday...you old fart

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I was up in Briones this morning (ok, technically I missed the weekend), first time since the fall. Started up old Briones road and road around on the ridges. Pretty much what I expected for this time of year. Trails were just about 100% dry, but also have been pretty well hammered by the rain/cow/horse combo. Lots of cows around, and lots of fresh pies to ride around. Pretty bumpy, with some big ruts from water runoff that you have to be careful about...But all in all it was good to be up there riding in mid March.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I rode Santa Teresa County Park this weekend. First time out since November or something (other than pavement).

Weird thing is... what is usually muddy single-track was bone-dry (Dark side of Stiles). And what is usually bone dry fire-road was swampy mud-bog (Pueblo trail at Bernal/girls-ranch-drive) and a complete muddy, crevice pit going down Mine trail from Bernal parking lot to stiles. Never seen it like this in the last 5 years I've been riding here.

Other than that, it was great. was able to pedal up the steep side of Joice trail (bernal hill trail to vista loop) on my way out so that's always a good sign.

So much for a clean bike.

Can't believe it's so wet so high up. I guess the ground = sponge and it just draining. seems like it'll be draining until July considering how bad it is.

Just wow...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterClean View Post
    I rode Santa Teresa County Park this weekend. First time out since November or something (other than pavement).

Weird thing is... what is usually muddy single-track was bone-dry (Dark side of Stiles). And what is usually bone dry fire-road was swampy mud-bog (Pueblo trail at Bernal/girls-ranch-drive) and a complete muddy, crevice pit going down Mine trail from Bernal parking lot to stiles. Never seen it like this in the last 5 years I've been riding here.

Other than that, it was great. was able to pedal up the steep side of Joice trail (bernal hill trail to vista loop) on my way out so that's always a good sign.

So much for a clean bike.

Can't believe it's so wet so high up. I guess the ground = sponge and it just draining. seems like it'll be draining until July considering how bad it is.

Just wow...
    No pics?
    What trail is that?