190lbs of climber

Weaverville Stories...

...coming soon. I'm still too sore to type too much. Anyone get the exact distance/elevation data per lap?
    THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

mtbr member

Ran the Garmin over it....

...when I did my course-marking removal lap on Sunday, 11.8 miles per lap, with 1722' of total climbing, 1394' of that on the ever-popular 3-mile fireroad climb.

Pic of beautiful downtown Weaverville and the Weaver Basin was taken yesterday up Weaver Bolly Rd.

See ya at the 12 Hours of Humboldt!

Bigfoot
    www.teambigfoot.net
    Attached Images Attached Images

190lbs of climber

The write up

Solo at 12 Hours of Weaverville
    106 miles and 15,000 feet of climbing

Last year I raced on a hardtail singlespeed two-man team and had so much fun that I decided to come back the next year and try it solo. So, at 8 am on Saturday May 27, I stood over my fully suspended and (thankfully) geared Blur LT at Trinity High School waiting for the start.

The plan was to split the race into groups of three laps, each lap taking about an hour and ten minutes. After three laps I would refill my Hydropack, clean and lube the chain, eat a sandwhich or two, and head back out for another three. I figured it would take 4 hours including rest stops for each three laps, making 9 laps my goal. So the night before I stocked up on Clif bars, gathered my containers of powdered Gatorade, and made about half a dozen peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

Last year, on a Chameleon SS, my fastest lap time was about 1:06. That's one hour and six minutes. I did six laps. This year I cranked out the first three laps without stopping in 3:16. I was hauling! The initial 3 mile 3194' vertical fire road climb was going great, even though I had my front derailleur screw set in 2x9 mode (I did all my long training ride on my “SS of death”, the rigid 38:16 leg press machine). The long single track descent was awesome and with the LT's travel soaking up the bumps I was able to sit and rest on some stretches where I had to stand last year. I had some trouble with the rear derailleur cable stretching but it was nothing a few clicks of the barrel adjuster couldn't fix.

The first lap I didn't lower my seat post for the downhill so my back was hurting but after that I lowered it about 2 inches at the top of the climb every lap. I had some minor cramping that I attributed to the 5 hour drive from San Jose the day before so after three laps I stopped for a sandwich and some stretching. I quickly lubed the chain, inhaled a PB&J, and sat stretching for a few minutes before head back out again. Rest stop one took 12 minutes. I was feeling good.

Unfortunately I was not feeling as good once the climb started again. My third lap took 1:13, a full 8 minutes slower than the previous lap. Lap 5 was even worse, actually it could be described as total bonkage, and took 1:19. I felt like my day was over. Exactly 6 hours in (just halfway...) I had done 5 laps, on pace to do ten, but I didn't feel like I could even pull off two more laps.

I got back to the pit area, refilled the Hydropack, lubed the chain, and began stuffing my face. I was sick of lemon-lime flavor, so I switched to some kind of Glacier flavor. Now I know what Glacier tastes like. “Food. Now.” I rudely demanded of my mom, who was moonlighting as my pit crew. Two sandwiches, two muffins, an entire bag of beef jerky, and 34 minutes later I was fresh again. Somewhere between the sandwiches and jerky, I suddenly felt renewed.

I headed out again, taking care to pace myself since I had five and a half hours left to complete 4 laps and reach my goal of 9. I realized after laps 4 and 5 that doing sets of three laps was out of the question so I settled on taking the race two at a time. The pacing worked, and I felt good cranking out two laps in 1:13 and 1:16 respectively. I then took another 12 minute break to get more Gatorade and eat a few Clif Bars. I completed my eighth lap in 1:16, leaving me 1:26 to do one more lap to reach my goal, so I took it easy and did a 1:20 lap, coming in with 6 minutes to spare before the 8 pm cutoff.

I won the Junior Category, Chris May took second with 6 laps, but it wasn't about winning. In one day I road more miles than I ever have, even on a road bike, and climbed more vertical feet than I usually do in a month. I finally feel comfortable riding the Blur LT, and it was shweet! I couldn't have done it without the efficient climbing and cushy downhilling. Mmmm. Rear travel,

The winning expert male did 10 laps, as did one team of 4 riders. The winning female rider did 8 laps.

I was one of 15 teams to complete 9 laps, and the last of the 9 lappers to come in. I place 17th of 75 teams of 1,2,3, or 4 riders, so I'm not sure how many riders were there, but it was around 200.

The details:
    per lap
    3 miles of fire road climbing
    1.5 miles of rollers
    7 miles of singletrack downhill
    11.6 miles
    1722' vertical of climbing

Totals:
    12 hours
    about 11 spent riding
    106.2 miles
    15,500 (15 THOUSAND 5 HUNDRED) feet of climb

The Bike:
    XL Blur LT
    410mm setback Thompson elite post at the max line for climbing
    WTB Devo Saddle
    SRAM XO xc kit
    Rockshox 454 dual air fork
    Eggbeaters
    Kenda Kharisma 2.10's
    Juicy 7's 160mm rotors
    DT Swiss 240 rear and 340 front wheel

around 29 lbs, not bad for a XL long travel XC bike

Thanks to the team sponsors:

Santa Cruz Bikes
    SRAM
    RockShox
    Avid
    Truvativ
    Kenda
    WTB
    Troy Lee
    DT Swiss
    5Ten
    Last edited by Menso; 05-31-2006 at 06:53 PM.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    dude....you're an animal Awesome Job!
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

smw
    pedal pusher
    Great ride Mensho.

Sean
    Gears and suspension are for girls and old men. Feel free to quote me in your signature. - Fast Eddy

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee

Sweet

Quote Originally Posted by Menso
    Solo at 12 Hours of Weaverville
    106 miles and 15,000 feet of climbing
    Nice. I was hoping to go and race on a 2 man but couldn't get a partner and I more-or less chickened out. I think I'll do an 8 hour race first. Hopefully I can drop at least 15 lbs before then.

Groveland Trail Heads

Very cool, Menso

Congrats
    Last edited by scheckler; 05-31-2006 at 03:00 PM.
    My beat box is bumpin' and my rhymes are fresh...
    www.grovelandtrailheads.org

swag ho Administrator
    Nice job young man!!

Did you have a pit crew? Where's Pierre btw? Didn't you guys do this together last year?

francois

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 0gre
    Nice. I was hoping to go and race on a 2 man but couldn't get a partner and I more-or less chickened out. I think I'll do an 8 hour race first. Hopefully I can drop at least 15 lbs before then.
    I had done it the last two years on 3 man teams but had everyone bail on me this year and ended up trying it solo. I had done the Whiskeytown 9 to 5 solo last year but had so many flat tires that I spent more time changing tires or walking to change a tire than I spent testing my endurance. I was hesitant to try it solo since I have an 8 week old baby and haven't had much training time this spring but was pleased with my results. I ended up having to stop after lap 6 about 2.5 hours before the cutoff because my back was spasming but was pleased that my legs would have easily done 7 laps and that I'd have had time for an 8th if I could have pulled a lap similar to my earlier lap times. I'd have definitely had time for 8 laps were I able to either be more organized in my pit stops or if I'd have had someone helping me prepare water bottles and such.

We couldn't have asked for a more beautiful day for it as it was much cooler than the last couple of years and there was a nice cool breeze blowing on you in the steep, relentless last section of the climb. I was even just a little bit chilly on my last lap which is unusual for this race and made it feel more like the Humboldt race.

All in all, it was well worth doing it solo as I loved that singletrack on each and every lap and it made for a great time. I haven't decided on whether or not to solo Humboldt or not but I'll have to see how I'm feeling around that time. That course is typically harder on me than the Weaverville course as the descents are a lot shorter than the climbs so you don't get to catch much of a break during the lap.

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by Menso
    I won the Junior Category
    Awesome!

I'm sure it was because we helped you train that day out in Henry Coe. I'll also make a guess that if you didn't have that little screw turned in to lock out granny gear you'd have been slower. I would.

190lbs of climber
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Nice job young man!!

Did you have a pit crew? Where's Pierre btw? Didn't you guys do this together last year?

francois
    Pierre did 24HOA a few weeks back on a team of five and decided that he needed more base training to do it solo and didn't have enough time. My mom was there, but we made all the sandwiches beforehand and I did the minimal mechanical stuff myself.
    I only had a few minor mech problems:
    -rear derrailleur cable was stretching on the first few laps so I played with the barrel adjust and limit screws a bit
    -one of the pivots was comoing loose so I had to stop and tighten it twice at the pit area. Luckily I had two of the sets of Allen keys so I was able to do so.

otherwise, no flats, no real mechanicals. Just raising and lowering the saddle and cleaning and lubign the chain. The real work is right now though. I need to take apart the rear triangle and grease everything before the CCCX race this Sunday. Stupid full suspension maintenance.

190lbs of climber
    Quote Originally Posted by Burkeman
    We couldn't have asked for a more beautiful day for it as it was much cooler than the last couple of years and there was a nice cool breeze blowing on you in the steep, relentless last section of the climb. I was even just a little bit chilly on my last lap which is unusual for this race and made it feel more like the Humboldt race.
    I was chilly enough that I did the laps 6-9 with my downhill jersey on over my XC jersey and the Hydropack over that. It was even raining lightly at the top for the last 2 hours.

I can't make Humboldt since it's the same day as the USACycling Super D nationals at Infineon.

mtbr member

Results are up....

...on the website. They show all the individual and team laps. Our new timing program is awesome! We have a little more learning to do...it's pretty involved...so that at 12 Hours of Humboldt we'll be able to give up to the second standings throughout the day and will be able to post 'em to the website too! Cool stuff!

Bigfoot

http://www.teambigfoot.net/12WV06Results.htm

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Menso--great story. I think I race just to tell stories.

With the 12 hours of Weaverville coming up again soon--I thought I would add my story from last year.

I first did Weaverville on a team of 3 riders in 2005. The same 3 of us planned to do it for 2006--except we planned to do it singlespeed! The three of us had signed up to do it as a team--then Jason decided that he and the wife were headed to Hawaii. Uh-ohh. Let's see--neither of the remaining 2 of us had been riding enough to do it as a 2-man team--especially singlespeed. So, I started looking for a third. And looking. How hard should it be to find someone that wants to race for almost 4 hours? Sounds like fun to me. Then I started thinking, well maybe each of us should just do it solo. Yes, solo--as in race for 12 hours. My thought was to do it less of a race and more of a really long ride--take long breaks as nececessary. Then I was saved from my delerious thinking when we found a third rider. Solo on a singlespeed would have hurt.We felt like seasoned experts being that we had done it last year--although this year we were more prepared and we had a pop-up tent-more on that later. I rode the first lap this year. The race starts with a long climb--and OUCH on the singlespeed. I rode 32:18 gearing--same as the last race. I felt I had the perfect gearing up the first half of the climb--then I remembered there a steeper 2nd half of the climb. I still had good gearing--but I did have to walk sections of it. After the 4 mile climb--there was 2 miles of flats followed by 6 miles of downhill and flowing singletrack for a total of 12 miles. Nice! Being the first lap, I had more riders to deal with on the singletrack and it did slow me up a little bit.First lap time was good (1 hour 13 minutes)--just about 5 minutes slower than last year--pretty good considering the course was about 1 to 2 minutes longer and I went the wrong way at the bottom of the lap--and because I had to deal with some slower traffic. Team-member 2 went out for the 2nd lap and beat my time by about 45 seconds--pertty darn good. Our new rider went out for the third lap. One hour fifteen minutes and he's not back yet. One hour twenty and no rider. One hour twenty-five and no rider. "Where is he??? "Could he really be this slow???" Then we see him come scootering in (pushing with one leg). Uh-oh, it looks like a broken chain. I ask no questions and I head out for my second lap.I am actually feeling good on the climb. It hurts at parts--but is over quicker than I thought. Then came the singletrack--I was really looking forward to it as I felt really comfortable on the course and like I knew the terrain. I was hoping for no riders in front of me so I could go fast--and that is what I got! The singletrack was awesome. There must have been a huge smile on my face the whole time! I came across the finish line and beat my first lap time by over a minute. We ended up doing a total of 9 laps (108 miles!!!) and we won our category (mostly because we were the only ones in our category. Overall we were 13th out of 74 teams. Sounds good doesn't it? However of those 74 teams--60 were soloists this year!!! That is way more than last year. Of the 12 teams that beat us, 4 were solo riders (but of those 4, 2 were pro racers). But still!!!!

And thanks to the great promoter--I got 2 tires and 2 sets of grips to take home in addition to the gold headset top cap.

I think I may do it solo for 2007!!!! Although it would be on a geared bike--thank you very much!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

does anyone have results for 2006 12 hours of weaverville? If not where I could obtain them? thanks,
    Bioman

mtbr member

'06 12 Hours of Weaverville results

Quote Originally Posted by dbioman
    does anyone have results for 2006 12 hours of weaverville? If not where I could obtain them? thanks,
    Bioman
    Here ya go

http://www.teambigfoot.net/12WV06Results.htm

These results don't show the solo riders names. I have another corrected version in another computer that I'll put up tonight.

Bigfoot
    Last edited by Bigfoot; 04-24-2007 at 11:20 AM.

bicycle rider
    Awesome ride Menso! Cool to see someone else racing an XL Blur. I don't think I could make mine go that fast. I have the classic Blur and I wondered if the Blur LT might be too 'moto' for racing. I guess not.

Damn you are fast, keep it up but don't get burnt out! Make sure it's fun and never work.

Morgan