Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Are we going to lose Dirt Alpine?

I haven't ridden there in a couple months due to all the rain, but Dirt Alpine has been my twice-a-week ride-from-home-to-dirt go-to for the past 3.5 years. Two years ago, heavy rains led to erosion of the "unauthorized" (but very fun) singletrack, and the single track got fenced off and closed down. Now the heavy rains of this December have led to a big washout about 2/3 of the way from the bottom of Dirt Alpine. There are new orange signs (posted into the ground) at the lower and upper trailheads that read "Road Closed - No public access", with folding signs/barricades next to the gates. And there is a big metal barricade at the washout, with ribbons. Are they going to shut this down permanently? They don't seem to be much for maintaining or repairing that trail, and who knows if there is money to do so. I am going to be so bummed if this closes. It would leave me with only Arastradero and Windy Hill within riding distance of my home.

sftrydr
    MROSD manages the section x Coal Creek OSP.
    Openspace.org - Your Preserves - Coal Creek

SM Co supposedly manages the graveled section above the 1st bypass through Coal Creek OSP..

Whose signs were posted(signs should be marked by agency that placed them), should be one of the previous agencies mentioned.
    Best recourse is to contact these entities directly+inquire as to what the plan(if any) is.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

VRC Illuminati
    I loved coming down that single track section. Definitely miss that loop. Hope they open it back up...including single track.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: Syncros 27.2 x 425 seatpost

Wēk Sôs
    That's a bummer. I only rode it once this past summer, with the reroute. It was fun, and would be nice to do it again.

SOG
    mtbr member
    I hope they reopen Alpine. It was a good way to connect to White Oak.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I just spoke to a guy in the San Mateo County Roads department, and he said the plan is to eventually close down and barricade just the newly washed-out portion on Alpine Road, and have trail users bypass it via the the Cloud's Rest and Meadow trails. He said they will try to have this finished, weather permitting, in the next few weeks. Though there are signs posted at the top and bottom gates of Dirt Alpine right now that read "Road Closed - No public access", it sounds like they will be removed once the bypass routing is finished. Fairly good news!

VRC Illuminati
    Could be worse. Thanks for the update!
    -eric-

More pie please
    Quote Originally Posted by Dopaminer_09 View Post
    …have trail users bypass it via the the Cloud's Rest and Meadow trails…
    Hmmmm, if they are talking the full existing trails, that would not be a trivial bypass. And those stay pretty saturated in the Winter.

Thanks much for all the information in this thread!
    ///Charlie
    Long live long rides

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I wish the bypass is restored. It was fun, and it was not eroding - compared with the road itself.

Singletrack all the way up would be very fine with me. Not a huge fan of climbing Cloud's rest while it is still wet.
    Last edited by Axe; 01-15-2013 at 09:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yeah, that is what it sounded like. Definitely not ideal, because you are right - that steep fire road (Cloud's Rest) stays wet for a long time in the winter. It would be great if they could actually create a new singletrack bypass for the new washout.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline35 View Post
    Hmmmm, if they are talking the full existing trails, that would not be a trivial bypass. And those stay pretty saturated in the Winter.

Thanks much for all the information in this thread!
    ///Charlie

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Yeah, that is what it sounded like. Definitely not ideal, because you are right - that steep fire road (Cloud's Rest) stays wet for a long time in the winter. It would be great if they could actually create a new singletrack bypass for the new washout.
    Would a small bridge there work? $$$ obviously. Hard to see that happen.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    It would be much easier if they'd just allow us to build a ramp and a landing ...

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by erisch View Post
    It would be much easier if they'd just allow us to build a ramp and a landing ...
    Uphill? Damn... man.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Yeah, seems like now we have a solution to make trails directional ...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Pictures from my ride today

Last edited by Dopaminer_09; 01-16-2013 at 03:55 PM.

Axe
    Custom User Title

You need to use an actual image URL or upload it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Are we going to lose Dirt Alpine?-photo4_zps057ce1ed.jpg  

Are we going to lose Dirt Alpine?-photo2_zps2c8b11b0.jpg  

Are we going to lose Dirt Alpine?-photo3_zps769947e7.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    You need to use an actual image URL or upload it.
    How do you upload directly from your computer hard drive to Mtbr?

Axe
    Custom User Title
    How do you upload directly from your computer hard drive to Mtbr?
    There is a button "upload image" below the advanced editing box. You may choose an option of also adding it to your "gallery", or just linking in the post.

I have uploaded your pictures from direct URLs in your photobucket, but you can do it from the local disk.

More pie please
    I went out there today too, and took the same photos as Dopaminer so no need for me to post mine.

Looks more like a sink-hole than a wash-out.

You can see that folks are simply going to the left of the hole:

This is located midway between Meadow Trail & Alpine and Cloud's Rest fireroad & Alpine.

///Charlie
    Long live long rides

VRC Illuminati
    How blocked off is the single track?
    -eric-

mtbr member
    I just spoke to a guy in the San Mateo County Roads department, and he said the plan is to eventually close down and barricade just the newly washed-out portion on Alpine Road, and have trail users bypass it via the the Cloud's Rest and Meadow trails. He said they will try to have this finished, weather permitting, in the next few weeks. Though there are signs posted at the top and bottom gates of Dirt Alpine right now that read "Road Closed - No public access", it sounds like they will be removed once the bypass routing is finished. Fairly good news!
    I agree that this would not be ideal. Meadow to Cloud's Rest would be a steep and long detour to go around that sinkhole/slipout.

The SM Co. roads vs. MROSD maintenance seems to result in no long term plan to keep this important bicycle route open. Re-routing people on an 1.3 mile detour with 300-400 feet of (steep) elevation gain does not seem like a good alternate route to me.

At least Crazy Pete's is still open...

More pie please
    I just spoke to a guy in the San Mateo County Roads department, and he said the plan is to eventually close down and barricade just the newly washed-out portion on Alpine Road, and have trail users bypass it via the the Cloud's Rest and Meadow trails. He said they will try to have this finished, weather permitting, in the next few weeks.
    I rode down Dirt Alpine today and found this barricade across Alpine at the intersection with Meadow Trail:

So I had to go up Meadow Trail and as expected, it was a muddy mess :-( That was enough for me, I didn't check the other end of Dirt Alpine.

///Charlie
    Long live long rides

mtbr member
    I have contacted San Mateo County Roads asking if this is a temporary or a permanent closure (I sure hope it's temporary), and if they will work with MROSD to develop a single-track by-pass (similar to the one lower down on Alpine) that doesn't require such an extensive detour.

I'm hoping for a positive response...

mtbr member
    I heard back from the roads manager at SMCO and it sounds like this section will be closed at least until this summer. It also sounds like the county would repair the road section if emergency funding becomes available (that's a pretty big IF nowadays). Without funding, the county will likely perform minimal repairs to address drainage and erosion issues at the road failure location. It is unclear if the more limited repair will also make that section passable for bikers and hikers.

For now it's closed, but I am hopeful that even the more limited repair will allow that section to be re-opened to bicycle/hiker traffic.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast