Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    348

    waterdog this weekend?

    I'm thinking of visiting my friend in Palo Alto this Sunday, I've never ridden any southbay trails and was hoping to check out Waterdog. Will it be rideable? I'm hoping to get in at least a 1.5-2hr ride before spending the rest of the day grilling and drinking. Is waterdog fairly easy to navigate for a 1st visit or do you need a guide for the good stuff? I'll be on a SS 29er.

    If not waterdog, where else? Id like to stay roughly within 30min of PA, my friend lives in the page mill area. Hoping to hit the trails by 9 and be at my buds around 12 or 1.

    Thanks in advance for any info.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KentM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    89

  3. #3
    swag ho Administrator
    Reputation: francois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    18,073
    Conditions should be good. I was there on Tuesday before that half inch of rain and it was good.

    It is a small, awesome park with about 10 miles of trails. It is not easy to navigate as it took me about a year before it made sense to me. But if you're willing to explore and try the different options of the maze, it could be good.

    fc

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    348
    Right on, I've been checking out the info from Passion Trail, seems like the best place to start is at the end of Carlmont?
    How crazy advanced are the "crazy advanced" sections? i.e. are the SS friendly?

    Does the park get pretty crowded on the weekends with hikers, etc?

  5. #5
    TC
    TC is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    399

    disagree

    like any trail system, it may take a few rides to figure what the best route for you, your bike set up, conditioning and technical abilities is....but I wouldn't say it's difficult to navigate at WD. Every trail has a marker post. At the main gates you have map posts. And even if you get "lost" all the trails loop back to a "main trail"....
    here's a link to a map
    http://www.belmont.gov/Upload/Docume...ailMap2005.pdf

    here's my favorite route:
    up 10 to 11
    down 6 out on 8 (back to start now)

    up 12 to 7 up 7 to 6
    down 6 and out 8 (done) about 90 minutes.

    longer route would be up 12 and continue on 12 out to 4...drop down to lake and retrace back 4-12-7-6.

    you'll get some good technical climbing, flowy tight single track and if you're daring ride over the top of a half buried car on "Rambler" trail.

    I was out there two weeks ago after a year away from it and I thoroughly enjoyed it on my new SS 26 build. I suffered through a few sections with 32x18 gearing (that gives you an idea of my conditioning and perhaps the level of difficulty of the trails....some steep, tight switchbacks on two of the better trails, but overall that park is a perfect place for SS.

    If this weather holds, it could be IDEAL conditions, but it does get busy with dog walkers, hikers and local riders of all types....racers, young rippers and grungy single speeders....ENJOY!!
    if the thunder don't get you, then the lightning will

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: worthy_4242's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    739
    I ride my SS 29er. You will be fine riding that. There are a few spots where you might like a few more gears but otherwise you will have a great time and the weather should continue to dry the place out. have fun.

  7. #7
    swag ho Administrator
    Reputation: francois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    18,073
    Quote Originally Posted by IrieRider View Post
    Right on, I've been checking out the info from Passion Trail, seems like the best place to start is at the end of Carlmont?
    How crazy advanced are the "crazy advanced" sections? i.e. are the SS friendly?

    Does the park get pretty crowded on the weekends with hikers, etc?

    It does get crowded and it's literally one lane in parts so the earlier the better.

    It is not really SS friendly specially if you don't know where you're going. There's SS routes if you have a good gear and good torque.

    Skeggs is good too and is really less than 30 minutes from Page Mill.

    fc

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,719
    Smalll park, can do all on single speed, but unless u r very above average strong, you prob wont clear a few sections on your first ride there. There are short but steep section. With practice all doable on ss.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    348
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    ....
    Skeggs is good too and is really less than 30 minutes from Page Mill.

    fc
    Skeggs and Saratoga Gap are two other places I definitely need to hit up in the South Bay, but I want to have a whole day for riding for both of those places, Waterdog seems like a good place to get in a quick ride on some new to me single track before consuming tons of meat and beer later in the day. Definitely aiming to hit the dirt by 8am.

    I'm just going to roll with my ss, probably try a loop similar to the one described above or the one from the Passion Trail site.

    Thanks for all the info fellas

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    348
    Did a quick 8 miles at Waterdog yesterday, trail conditions were pretty good with some sticky mud and tree or 2 down closer to the lake. Got turned around a few times but overall I'm pretty impressed with the trails in such a little park, rode one that seemed very fresh, looked like it was just cut in and had a soft peanut butter feel.
    I'd like to ride there again now that I have a better idea of how the trails flow together, only 20mins from my friends house so hopefully will happen soon.

  11. #11
    swag ho Administrator
    Reputation: francois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    18,073
    Quote Originally Posted by IrieRider View Post
    Did a quick 8 miles at Waterdog yesterday, trail conditions were pretty good with some sticky mud and tree or 2 down closer to the lake. Got turned around a few times but overall I'm pretty impressed with the trails in such a little park, rode one that seemed very fresh, looked like it was just cut in and had a soft peanut butter feel.
    I'd like to ride there again now that I have a better idea of how the trails flow together, only 20mins from my friends house so hopefully will happen soon.

    Right on. Now you see the maze and the glory of Waterdog. I ride there twice a week during lunch.

    That place is good when there's no one there and you just hit 12 miles of it non-stop. I've done it on a rigid fork and singlespeed but it's best to do it with suspension and gears so until you have it dialed! Or maybe gears and suspension is just best all the time

    The new trail is Lake Loop and it's almost done. Glad you found that since that's not even on the map yet.


  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    348
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Right on. Now you see the maze and the glory of Waterdog. I ride there twice a week during lunch.

    That place is good when there's no one there and you just hit 12 miles of it non-stop. I've done it on a rigid fork and singlespeed but it's best to do it with suspension and gears so until you have it dialed! Or maybe gears and suspension is just best all the time

    The new trail is Lake Loop and it's almost done. Glad you found that since that's not even on the map yet.

    Definitely seemed like an awesome place to ride when its empty, I was lucky and was able to tag along for a bit with a pretty cool guy on a blinged out Sultan but I wasn't doing too good a job of holding his carbon wheel.

    I'd like to give it another spin on the ss, but gears would make a few of those switchback climbs a lot more mellow.

    Thanks again for the suggestions and info, now I want to skip out on a day of work so I can hit all the trails there on a weekday.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    271
    that was me you tagged along with...I had to keep rolling as I was late for something....nice work on the SS. Anyone know how Waterdog conditions are right now?

  14. #14
    rox
    rox is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    903
    a few of the trails are good but the rest are pretty muddy including the roads. its doable but dont expect to be clean at the end

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    271
    Quote Originally Posted by rox View Post
    a few of the trails are good but the rest are pretty muddy including the roads. its doable but dont expect to be clean at the end
    thanks...I think I'll wait a few days

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: monty797's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    625
    WD is a fun park. Completely doable as a SS if you're a strong rider, you may have to walk a few sections on your first ride through the park. There are quite a few short really punchy section.

    We rode there 2 days ago and it was wet. It was good as long as you stayed out of the creek beds (lower section of the park). You'll be dirty / muddy if you ride but there were quite a few people there.

    I would park at the main trail head, it's hard to get lost there as pretty much every trail leads eventually back to the same place. Everything is marked fairly well so it's pretty easy to find your way around. There are a lot of tight single lanes that are slippery and you can carry a good bit of speed so just be careful on those sections as well as on the wood bridges. Beyond that you'll have fun!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •