Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: b0bg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    168

    Waterdog trail nerfing on Chaparral?

    I've noticed a few folks "adopting" some of the trails in Waterdog lately as they seem not to be getting enough love from the Belmont Parks & Rec. I'm sure resources are thin, and this year's been more challenging to clean up after than most. So the city does what they can. I've worked on a couple of official work days, but it's not super easy to find out about them, and there aren't as many as the trails need so people come out and do a little cleanup/trimming/etc. Imho, this is great, and I've brought hand trimmers to cut back a little overgrowth from time to time...but...

    Riding this Sunday I saw a couple guys on Chaparral Trail with a sledge and chisel/pry bar taking out a big chunk of rock from one of the right angle turns just before the junction with Elevator. I'm not big on trail confrontations so I just rode along, but they didn't look like they were doing city approved work. What they were doing was taking all the challenge out of a lightly technical line and not helping drainage in the process.

    I'm all for giving your neighborhood trails a little love, with or without the blessing of the authorities. I'd gladly show up for more work days if they had a calendar or a mailing list. (I'd especially love to sort out that bridge and creekbed issue at the bottom of Rambler.) And I realize getting Parks and Rec involved may end up with exactly the sort of feature removal I'm complaining about (see: the old roller near the lake and the log overs at the backside of the lake loop), but I'm pretty sure nobody appreciates vigilante trail damage like this.

  2. #2
    fc
    fc is online now
    stoked Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    26,911
    Nerfing? I got curious about that.

    We need some pics of what you're talking about. Also the nerfing perps.

    fc
    IPA will save America

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DriverB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    490
    Add more rocks don't remove them!

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
    Marin County, CA

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Harry Mackenzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    996
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Nerfing? I got curious about that.

    We need some pics of what you're talking about. Also the nerfing perps.

    fc
    It's a term typically used these days by gamers for when game devs rebalance a game and make detrimental changes to something. I've never heard it used in real life especially in this context.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    126
    Well, there's this group trying to this more organized: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2079772678916626/

    Jon's done some of the brush clearing with trimmers but I don't think he would be out there with a pry bar removing rocks. I think he trimmed down some of the "improvised" waterbars on the downhill towards the bridge on John Brooks.

    In one of the recent Parks and Rec meetings, Kevin Sullivan, one of the commission members mentioned the need for more trail work to the board. I haven't seen anything posted yet, so maybe the FB group will help better coordinate sanctioned work. The park does need some TLC.

  6. #6
    Hella Olde
    Reputation: DH40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    874
    Nerf herders

  7. #7
    Wēk Ss
    Reputation: IAmHolland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,754
    wow, that's disturbing. caught red handed. call the po-po! cops! cops! cops!

  8. #8
    Air Pirate
    Reputation: Bokchoicowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,873
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    Nerf herders
    Name:  hqdefault.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  26.5 KB
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    wow, that's disturbing. caught red handed. call the po-po! cops! cops! cops!
    Myself and three partners and dozens of volunteers were the ones who built many of the trails at Water Dog and Hidden Valley 1999-2006. We worked with the support and cooperation of Belmont but the Town never took an active roe in the work. Initially some supervision, but later, none at all. They supplied materials and installed the signage, poorly, and that's it.
    That area has a long history of ad hoc trail maintenance, but it has usually been limited to brushing the trails; cutting back vegetation. Tread work should only be done by someone who knows what they are doing. Many think they do, no so many really know what they're doing. Prying out rocks with a bar sounds to me like the latter to. That sort of thing should be discouraged. Likely that rock is only part of the problem there. Contact Kevin Sullivan, thru the Town, he built the trail around the lake and and has the best current knowledge of what should or should not be done. He is a volunteer, but Park and Rec should be able to provide contact info. Follow his advice.
    just ridin' em now

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: b0bg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by Berry Stevens View Post
    Myself and three partners and dozens of volunteers were the ones who built many of the trails at Water Dog and Hidden Valley 1999-2006. We worked with the support and cooperation of Belmont but the Town never took an active roe in the work. Initially some supervision, but later, none at all. They supplied materials and installed the signage, poorly, and that's it.
    That area has a long history of ad hoc trail maintenance, but it has usually been limited to brushing the trails; cutting back vegetation. Tread work should only be done by someone who knows what they are doing. Many think they do, no so many really know what they're doing. Prying out rocks with a bar sounds to me like the latter to. That sort of thing should be discouraged. Likely that rock is only part of the problem there. Contact Kevin Sullivan, thru the Town, he built the trail around the lake and and has the best current knowledge of what should or should not be done. He is a volunteer, but Park and Rec should be able to provide contact info. Follow his advice.
    This is a better (and less negative than my initial report) perspective on the state of things at Waterdog. I'm sure the folks doing this had the very best intentions and the handbasket to go with it.

    I'll try to get back this weekend and snap some photos of the results of this little project. In general though, I agree: brushwork/po mitigation, treefall cleanup, and maintaining drains are all great ways to show your love for this neighborhood gem. Mining and excavation, feature removal, and woodwork are better done with park approval, and ideally some formal sanction. This didn't look like the sort of thing parks & rec would have approved of, but if I'm wrong I'm glad to apologize for casting any aspersions.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DriverB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    490
    Feature addition > feature removal... Perhaps some gap jumps and a rock garden!

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
    Marin County, CA

Similar Threads

  1. Chaparral trail full face helmet?
    By Oakeshott in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06-19-2015, 06:59 PM
  2. Chaparral asking price?
    By ECU-Yukon in forum Banshee Bikes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-18-2013, 12:47 PM
  3. Replies: 28
    Last Post: 01-06-2013, 04:36 PM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-20-2011, 08:46 PM
  5. 5-0 on Waterdog Lake Road trail
    By zuuds in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-01-2011, 10:21 PM

Members who have read this thread: 92

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •