mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Water Dog Park Advice

All,

I'm new to Water Dog in Belmont. Planning on riding it later this afternoon. Anyone have any route suggestions for a beg/int rider. Confident and comfortable with grueling climbs but still working on things when pointed down (no drops or really step descents).

I know water dog is fairly small, so just looking to get familiar with it since I'm going solo and it's first time there.

Thanks!

JHH
    mtbr member
    Waterdog might be small but it packs in plenty of challenge.

Lake Road Trail to John Brooks to Chaparral. Now you can take Chaparral to the bottom which has a challenging steep end section dropping into the Carlmont Dr parking lot. Or after you cross Elevator trail and ride a bit, you'll see unmarked right hand offshoot trail, take this to John Brooks (runs along the top below the houses) and turns into Rambler. You'll come to pretty open zone with a lot of options, that's Rambler down, if you stay to the right you'll connect with Finch trail which is a great series of switchbacks down into Canyon, take canyon to the bottom (Carlmont Parking Lot) head to the right and find Upper Creek to the top of canyon, quick left up Finch thru the switchbacks then down Rambler, Canyon. You can also take Rambler back to John Brooks, back chaparral - back John Brooks then drop into berry trail - lake loop back to lake trail fireroad.

You can't really got lost here. It's foggy and windy currently.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    JHH,

Thanks for the route suggestions. I'll be sure to check it out. It's a local spot for me but I just haven't checked it out but with my busy schedule these days, I think it'll be worth adding to the trails to ride regularly.

JHH
    mtbr member
    It's a mile away from me making it a great escape for short windows of time.

swag ho Administrator
    On my first 10 times there, I was just lost. That is one of the most difficult places to dial in since you get turned around so much. I would say start from the Carlmont lot and make your way to Lake Loop.

Just go easy for a couple hours and explore every trail and you will find you bearings and preferred route. Getting a guide is always best.

Don't touch any plants and always be careful of the side exposure.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    On my first 10 times there, I was just lost. That is one of the most difficult places to dial in since you get turned around so much. I would say start from the Carlmont lot and make your way to Lake Loop.

Just go easy for a couple hours and explore every trail and you will find you bearings and preferred route. Getting a guide is always best.

Don't touch any plants and always be careful of the side exposure.
    Thanks for the route suggestion and tips. I agree that even if a park is small, if there are lots of trails, you can still have a difficult time navigating if it's your first few times there.

mtbr member
    Passion Trail Bikes has a page with some good recommendations

http://www.passiontrailbikes.com/pages/waterdog.html

mtbr member
    Not sure if you already have the Waterdog trail map. If not, you can download from this link

http://www.belmont.gov/Upload/Docume...ailMap2005.pdf

Waterdog bit my ass today. My front washed out going down Olohne and I hit the ground pretty hard. Nothing serious, but my left knee and hip are going to be sore for a few days.

Anyway, I digress. Riding around at Waterdog several years ago with the map in hand was quite helpful to get to know the place quickly. That and doing the Passion Wednesday rides helped too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Still haven't had a chance to head over to Water Dog yet. Thinking I may try the Passion Trail Bikes Wednesday night ride.

Anyone know what time it starts and is the meeting point at the shop? I googled and went onto their website but can't find a definitive answer... I believe it's 6:30 departure from the shop and multiple level riders??

JHH
    mtbr member
    I joined in once. from what I remember it's 6pm roll-off from the shop. Usually staggered groups based on speed.

Just go ride it, you can't get lost.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by HrznRider View Post
    Still haven't had a chance to head over to Water Dog yet. Thinking I may try the Passion Trail Bikes Wednesday night ride.

Anyone know what time it starts and is the meeting point at the shop? I googled and went onto their website but can't find a definitive answer... I believe it's 6:30 departure from the shop and multiple level riders??
    ..or PM me, I was planning on an afternoon ride there this week. I can show you a good loop. I usually start from the top of the Lake road.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Stop by Passion around 6-630 and you'll find plenty of like-minded people to ride with. We usually break up into rides of different routes/intensity, and you can take your pick.

Axe
    Custom User Title

Water Dog Park Advice

Hey, nice meeting you today! Fun little place, isn't it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Hey, nice meeting you today! Fun little place, isn't it.
    Nice meeting you too Axe. Thanks for the tour of water dog. Definitely a great little park!!! As someone mentioned, small but packs a punch.