Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

WARNING: Berkeley/Oakland Trails under attack soon!!!

If you ride in the Berkeley/Oakland hills, you need to read this....

FEMA Plans Clear-Cutting 85,000 Berkeley and Oakland Trees | California Progress Report
    HANK & FRANK BICYCLES Lafayette
    Service Manager
    www.hankandfrankbicycles.com

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    Are they eucalyptus? Article didn't state.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rho View Post
    Are they eucalyptus? Article didn't state.
    From the Executive Summary:

"To reduce the potential for these areas to support and spread wildfires, UCB
    proposes to eliminate eucalyptus, Monterey pine, and other non-native trees that promote the
    spread of wildfire. Oak and bay trees and other native vegetation present under the larger nonnative trees would be preserved and encouraged to expand"

mtbr member
    That article has been going around. Saw it on the neighborhood mailing list a few weeks ago. It does link to an official site, which eventually links to this: Documents

I clicked on this link from that page to browse it and try and see what the deal was for myself: http://ebheis.cdmims.com/Libraries/S..._2_3.sflb.ashx

There are both descriptions of the activity there and highlighted sat images of the affected areas.

Looks like they are trying to remove the non-native, invasive or dangerous stuff including eucalyptus and acacia, and to provide a viable fire break in high risk places. They already did a lot of that in Redwood Park up at the top of East Ridge near the Skyline Gate, for example. It was a bummer at the time to see that, because the tree canopy over the trail at the time was beautiful and provided shade on hot days. However it would also be a bummer if there was a fire and it jumped the fire road, or if one of the large trees leaning over the trail fell and squashed someone.

My un-researched wild ass guess about this master plan is that it is not so much a top-down mandate from the feds, but all the local agencies jumping at the chance to get funding money while it is being handed out, to do work they have wanted to do for a while anyway.

Really haven't seen any press on this that tries to present an informed viewpoint that addresses the pros and cons of the for and against sides.

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    "Under attack"? In your experience does being alarmist help getting your argument across? Just curious.

Here is another (more reasonable, IMNSFHO) take on the clearing:
    Campus environmental manager talks about hillside tree-removal plan

It's about showing up.
    There has been a local resistance to cutting these trees down but, having been involved in support efforts during the 1991 Fire I just don't appreciate the value of the trees. The resistance has gotten in the way of something that should have been done long ago.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    This has already been done quite a bit in recent years in Claremont Canyon, and much of the area above UCB immediately west of Grizzly Peak from 'The Wall' over to just past Steam Trains. It has also been done quite a bit, again west of Grizzly Peak, but over where Old Tunnel Road comes up to meet Grizzly, just north of Broadway Terrace. It's mostly Eucalyptus being cleared and is something that creates safer, and more native, hillsides.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

My neighbors lost their homes because of eucalyptus trees. They are like fireballs when burning. They are great looking trees but not so great as California gets drier.
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

dude with orange car
    The first two houses I lived in as a kid in Oakland burned down during the '91 fire. We moved from the Oakland hills in the '70s after a fire that burned many houses, including our next-door neighbor's house. I support the fire suppression efforts. **** those trees.
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

It is about time. They are an invasive fire hazard. The only reason they exist in the area was they were planted as a fast growing source of wood by early settlers. There will no doubt be some short term environmental effects, but long term it is the right thing to do.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by peletonnissen View Post

FEMA Plans Clear-Cutting 85,000 Berkeley and Oakland Trees | California Progress Report
    It doesn't sound like the trails are under attack, just the non-native trees. As a new resident to the Hills, I hope the native trees quickly grow back to fill the sky. Yeah, screw the Eucalyptus.

I'm not sure what you were trying to convey in your headline, but it does sound an awful lot like Druge Report style writing.

mtbr member

Just curious…
    Did the trees start hugging back yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Uncle

Fixed

Fixed
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    It doesn't sound like the sanctioned trails are under attack, just the non-native trees.
    I enjoy the canopy cover of the Eucalyptus, but they're definitely a hazard and definitely not of local origin. They burn hot as hell, get dangerously unstable when they get big, and the squeeze out the plants and trees that should be growing there. Pro-restoration here. Brewtality, this hippie only hugs the trees when on occasion my bars don't fit between them.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    It is hard to argue with taking out the Eucalyptus. Doesn't the squeaking of those Aussie trees give you the creeps, not to mention what they do in a fire? It will take decades to replace the leaf canopy but should be done.

I am not sure what is really native here other than oaks, which take forever to grow, and possibly buckeye, willow, and laurel trees. There are many non-native trees in the EB parks that are not invasive and presumably/hopefully will be left as is. But if you look at very old pictures you will see that "native" was actually grassland in most of the hills.

locked - time out

Dude.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Removal and control of underbrush will do a lot more for fire suppression than cutting down trees. I kind of like the sound of the squeaky Eucs, mother nature talking.

mtbr member
    Yes, underbrush control is good but in a wildfire the crowns of the Eucs can be consumed by fire in an almost explosive manner. The leaves are relatively dry and loaded with oils, so they kind of go up pretty fast and hot in a fire...

YESBRO!!!
    Eukes are garbage and are awful when fires come around. Get rid of them and the native plants and trees will rebound faster than you can imagine.

Lusus Naturae
    I don't like the idea of cutting any trees that provide great smell and shade but I could see if I lived in that area I'd get all NIMBY on them thar Euca's.

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by datenschwanz View Post
    Get rid of them and the native plants and trees will rebound faster than you can imagine.
    I dunno, my imagination's pretty fast.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I thought this article provided some good perspectives: East Bay clear cut debate catches fire Bay Nature
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

never ender
    That article is pretty misleading...the guy who wrote it seems to be a housing lawyer with no environmental credentials. Notice how he totally glosses over the distinction between native trees and eucalyptus.

I wouldn't be surprised if the people flipping out about this are the same bunch who lose it every time somebody wants to open up an East Bay singletrack to bikes.

Safety Consultant
    I don't think it would take much acreage to encompass 85,000 acacia saplings, which I think I read was what a lot of these trees being removed are. There seems to be about 85,000 of them at the top of Cinderella in JMP.
    I'm here to kick ass and drink beer. Looks like we're all out of beer. -- Gandhi

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Not sure if anyone remembers, but the old Lawndale trail in Annadel had a nasty section of eucalyptus trees that were removed with the reroute and trail update. Good riddance to those things.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast