Natural body armor

Warden kills mountain lion in Los Gatos

Not much detail about the size of the animal

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_8044384?nclick_check=1

Warden kills mountain lion in Los Gatos neighborhood near Hwy 85
    By Leslie Griffy
    Mercury News
    Article Launched: 01/22/2008 08:45:28 AM PST

A warden shot and killed a mountain lion in a Los Gatos neighborhood near Highway 85 Monday night, ending weeks of speculation about where the big cat was.

Neighbors in the Lora Drive area, near La Rinconada Country Club, had been calling for weeks to report the cat, but officers had been unable to locate it, officials said.

Then, Monday, a resident reported a large bobcat in a backyard at around 3 p.m. When officers arrived, they realized it was a mountain lion and called in the California Department of Fish and Game, according to a release.

Wardens and officers watched the cat for hours and when they felt it was indeed a risk to public safety, at around 6 p.m., a warden shot and killed the cat.
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla - On-One USA

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Too bad they had to kill it. If I saw a mountain lion in my backyard and thought it was a threat to my family, I would have shot it myself.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

swag ho Administrator

damm

By Leslie Griffy
    Mercury News

A warden shot and killed a mountain lion in a Los Gatos neighborhood near Highway 85 Monday night, ending weeks of speculation about where the big cat was. Neighbors in the Lora Drive area, near La Rinconada Country Club, had been calling for weeks to report the cat, but officers had been unable to locate it, officials said.
    Then, Monday, a resident reported a large bobcat in a backyard at around 3 p.m. When officers arrived, they realized it was a mountain lion and called in the California Department of Fish and Game, according to a release.
    Wardens and officers watched the cat for hours and when they felt it was indeed a risk to public safety, at around 6 p.m., a warden shot and killed the cat.

-------------------

Mountain Lion Shot in Los Gatos

Lora Dr. is far from mountain habitat

By Alastair Dallas 01/22/08 5:15 am [123]
    Los Gatos Observer

View 2 responsesPrint-friendly version
    A warden from the California Dept. of Fish and Game shot and killed a mountain lion in the back yard of a home on Lora Dr. Monday just before 6 p.m. Officers of the Los Gatos/Monte Sereno Police Dept. had been on scene for three hours.

Police had received several reports of a large cat in the Wedgewood Ave. area north of La Rinconada Country Club over the last several weeks, but had not been able to locate it. During the rain on Monday afternoon, a resident of Lora Dr. reported a "large bobcat" in their backyard. Several small children live next door.
    Los Gatos/Monte Sereno Police officers requested the assistance of the California FIsh and Game Dept. and it was determined that the animal was actually a mountain lion. Mountain lions are a specially-protected mammal in California and cannot be hunted.

"Mountain lions that threaten people are immediately killed," according to a Dept. of Fish and Game brochure. "Moving mountain lions is not an option. It causes deadly conflicts with other mountain lions already there, or the relocated mountain lion returns."

The area where the animal was killed is miles from the Santa Cruz Mountains. Lora Dr. is near the north end of Los Gatos, adjacent to the 85 freeway.

"Mountain lions generally exist wherever deer are found," the brochure continues. More than half of California is mountain lion habitat. "They are solitary and elusive, and their nature is to avoid humans."

-------------

Map: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...0084&z=16&om=0
    IPA will save America

Silence! I kill you!
    Thats too bad. They are beautiful animals.
    My Website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

My Recent Shoots
    The Blog

mtbr member
    WOW,

This is less then a mile from my house, It is sad that the cat had to be killed.

see map,

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...8753&z=15&om=0
    Last edited by jeffh; 01-22-2008 at 10:42 AM.

What would Pimpbot do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen_Turtle
    "Wardens and officers watched the cat for hours and when they felt it was indeed a risk to public safety, at around 6 p.m., a warden shot and killed the cat."
    First, thoughts and prayers to the lion and its family.

The quote is the part that boggles my mind.

The wardens identify the cat as a MTN lion.

They are near the 85 corridor, next door to kids.

They wait "hours".

Then they decide to kill the cat.

Did they think it was going to end any other way?

Were they waiting for the cat to magically teleport itself to the hills?

But seriously, maybe they were calling all the local zoos and shelters to see if anyone would take in the lion. When they found no home for it, they shot it.

See you at Ord Sunday.
    "I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself." - D.H. Lawrence

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    From the second article, I'm inferring that the fish and Game Warden didn't watch the lion for 3 hours. It sounds more like the Los Gatos police watched the lion for 3 hours waiting for F&G to show up, and the F&G warden then shot the lion, at about 6 p.m. Kind of lame if you ask me. I understand not wanting to have the lion loose in a residential area. But if the responding officers watched it in a yard for 3 hours, there was plenty of time to dart it, and shoot it if that didn't work.

Looking at the map, it seem like it would be pretty easy for a lion to find its way into that neighborhood via the country club and Los Gatos Creek, or through people's property via the Monte Sereno area

swag ho Administrator
    Clearly, this mountain lion just got lost in the residential area and could not find its way back. It sounds like it was there for a week or more. It may have gotten confused by that freeway.

They should have just darted it and put it back at Kennedy!

fc
    IPA will save America

What would Pimpbot do?
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryCallahan
    But if the responding officers watched it in a yard for 3 hours, there was plenty of time to dart it, and shoot it if that didn't work.
    Based on my limited knowledge on the subject, there are two problems with darting the cat and then hauling sleepy kitty to the hills:

1. If you don't score a bullseye, the drug is absorbed too slowly, and in the mean time you have an angry cat with a needle stuck in his body. That could be ugly, especially with kids in the neighborhhod. Have you ever given a 10 pound cat a bath? Now imagine 80 pound cat with that attitude.

2. Where do you take the cat once he is tranquilized? The article already mentioned the problems with taking the cat back to the wilderness. But you would think there would be zoo or a shelter for these cats somewhere...

I love animals as much as any hippie, but what would you want to happen to that cat if it was in your backyard or was a potential threat to your loved ones.
    "I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself." - D.H. Lawrence

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    clearly a human predator. Having been in the hood for weeks and a total of zero attacks! Good thing they killed it! For all the mountain lions out there: if you get into a neighborhood, you might as well eat a fat, nintendo addict kid because you are going to get shot anyway.

mtbr member
    It is cat's land not ours. They should not be killed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Did they taunt it before they shot it??

Silence! I kill you!
    Someone on the murky news comments section mentioned that the lion was trying to find the brothers house to finish the job....
    My Website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

My Recent Shoots
    The Blog

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Let's hope the next cat is more successful at finding the house. I'd happily let them borrow my garmin...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I read in todays Santa Cruz newspaper a mountain lion was found dead in Capitola? Not much detail but I heard it was found by the creek. Bummer for the lion shot and for this one.

(Ali)
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by poff
    It is cat's land not ours. They should not be killed.
    I don't see a smiley; so I can't be sure whether you're joking. I wanted to point out that killing is just fine at this time in history. Animal, human, doesn't matter... Come to think of it, it has always been that way.

Ali

(Ali)
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel Mot
    clearly a human predator
    Even if not, it might become human-comfy.

I think there is a belief that once a mountain lion gets used to being around humans, it may do it again and even spread the knowledge to other animals.

Ali

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    wrong post

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Mommy Boots

Once Mommy gives them the boot they are on their own forever except when they mate or have more babies that they boot out after one year. A one year old cougar has a very tough life and this one just was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Silence! I kill you!
    Ok, which one of you guys wrote this comment?

"you guys are missing the back story. The lion was previously ticketed for speeding on an open space trail and then caught and ticketed for being on a closed trail. It had no where else to go but to LG. Afterall, everyone knows that fat, rich, spoiled, momma's boys are the easiet targets. Tobacco chewin' Johnny Law just got in the way again."

its gotta be a MTBer that wrote it
    My Website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

My Recent Shoots
    The Blog

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen_Turtle
    Not much detail about the size of the animal

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_8044384?nclick_check=1

By Leslie Griffy
    Mercury News

A warden shot and killed a mountain lion in a Los Gatos neighborhood near Highway 85 Monday night, ending weeks of speculation about where the big cat was.

Neighbors in the Lora Drive area, near La Rinconada Country Club, had been calling for weeks to report the cat, but officers had been unable to locate it, officials said.

So they killed it..even though it had done nothing? Not even killed a domestic dog or cat? Just a sighting of a large cat is enough to warrant killing it? For shame No where in the testimony does anyone give a valid reason for killing this cat.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    "Mountain lions that threaten people are immediately killed," according to a Dept. of Fish and Game brochure. "Moving mountain lions is not an option. It causes deadly conflicts with other mountain lions already there, or the relocated mountain lion returns."

So exactly HOW did the mt lion threaten humans that warranted killing it?

I'm guessing because it was near 4 million+ $$$ homes that it was killed.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgemonkey
    Ok, which one of you guys wrote this comment?

"you guys are missing the back story. The lion was previously ticketed for speeding on an open space trail and then caught and ticketed for being on a closed trail. It had no where else to go but to LG. Afterall, everyone knows that fat, rich, spoiled, momma's boys are the easiet targets. Tobacco chewin' Johnny Law just got in the way again."

its gotta be a MTBer that wrote it
    Now that's funny...

mtbr member
    Just have an open mind and realize that the Mercury news doesn't always have all the information. If in fact if fish and game were called, they most certainly would have chose the most viable option. One of their operatinf pricinples is the preservation of the ecological enviroment. They take that job very seriously. But let us put it into perspective for a moment. If they let the cat live and it got somebodys child, the implications would be far worse. Imagine the headlines after that tragedy! So not to be a politician about it and circle around, I believe killing the cat was the only real option. Doe's it feel good and tickle me pink that it had to die for being a Mt. Lion and doing what it knew to survive? No. Sad story and I bet the guy that shot it wasn't going to the taxidermist to put the head on his wall either.
    They never made the "Slowster"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It really is sad they had to kill it, yet I agree they likely did the right thing. We can all speculate about what could have been done, but we weren't there to make the call. If its human life vs. animal life, human must come first for sure.

I'm also thinking law enforcement is on high alert after the tiger attack at the SF Zoo also. No one wants a repeat of that.
    We Ride In God's Country!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast