mtb'er

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Want to ride more trails in California State Parks? Act by Dec. 4!

If you're familiar with trails in your local State Park that would be perfectly good to ride, but currently aren't legal to do so, please spend at least a minute or two submitting a comment to State Parks while they are asking for them. It's easy to do in the link below.

California State Parks (CSP) is currently accepting public comments on its recently-released report: the Draft Program Environmental Impact Report, Road and Trail Change-in-Use Evaluation Process (PEIR).

The new process will be used to facilitate the addition of mountain bikes on existing state park trails. The process is a major step forward for CSP and will positively effect mountain bike access on existing trails in state park units.

California State Parks has worked over the last several years to create a fact-based, objective system to determine appropriate trail use. The key feature of the report is that it will allow for the addition of mountain bikes on specific trails without the need for additional environmental analysis. Future project decisions to allow bikes on trails will merely need to reference the PEIR. This is a major step forward for bike access in state parks.

Here's the comment form: Submit Your Comments to California State Parks | IMBA

This thread covers the topic in much more depth, but I'm not sure how many people have perused it and realize it's importance (thus a new, call to action thread): DPR to streamline "Change in Use Policy"

If you're lazy, at least copy and paste all or some of IMBA's talking points into the comment section:

Dear State Parks,
    Thank you for the opportunity to make comments on this is important topic. I appreciate the major steps that CSP has taken to promote multi-use trails and I urge CSP to use the PEIR to provide much needed trail opportunities for cyclists. I welcome the acknowledgement that there are effective tools and methods to successfully manage multi-use trails. I appreciate the in-depth study of trail use conflict showing that, after more than 30 years of mountain bike trail use and millions of trail users' encounters, complaints are few, incidents are fewer and accidents are rare. The trail conversion analysis may prove to be cumbersome and time consuming, and may lead to expensive trail alterations. Therefore, it is important to point out that there are hundreds of trails in parks that have never been specifically altered for multi-use, yet have functioned adequately for years. Care must be exercised in the conversion analysis to prevent the over-engineering of trails to account for every potential form of user behavior.

The report references a State Code (P.4.14-3) that limits development in parks that would be considered "attractions in themselves." The code was intended to limit the construction of restaurants, amusement parks, athletic fields, etc. in park units. It is a poor analysis to apply this code to trails. Trails are much more than just a transportation system. Trails that are sustainable, blended into the natural environment (sinuosity) and designed to showcase a park's natural features should be enjoyed as such. They are works of art that compliment the sense of place. I come to parks to enjoy the trails.

Thank you.
    Better yet, write your own thoughts. To do nothing would be a disservice to the mt. biking community.

Thanks!

Team Chilidog!
    Thanks for posting this. You beat me to it. Signed, forwarded and now posted to Google+.

mtbr member
    Sent it.

from a coffee shop within a stone's throw of Annadel SP on a raaaaaaaaaaainy day...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    done.

It's about showing up.

Done

Thank you for the support you have developed for mountain biking access. Your work to streamline the process reveals a sensitivity to eliminating tactics which use complicated time and money issues to obfuscate access.

I would like to caution the Dept. against over-engineering new or extant trails for every possible use under the sun. It is unnecessary especially in areas which see so little use. In addition I hope to see mountain bike usage as distinctly different than than amusements, businesses and athletic fields (State Code P.4.14-3). While mountain bike accessable trails may be attractive, so are hiking trails for hikers; they are simply a vital part of enjoying a park's natural features.
    Thank you.
    I don't rattle.

trail rat
    Thanks for posting this.

We went through a pre conference workshop on this 14 page Change of Use form at the CA Trails and Greenways Conference three years ago as the preliminary testers as trail advocates, to provide feedback to State Parks. They intentionally paired equestrians, hikers, and bike riders on the same teams to get the best understanding of the issues.

We are in the final stages of a huge reroute project that will have the Change of Use system applied to allow mountain bikes onto parts of a trail network where they were forbidden 25 years ago.

What I am stating, is the process works. Write, show up, speak up, advocate and you have a very good opportunity to get MORE TRAILS TO RIDE!
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Sent.

At a time when CSP has limited funds and resources, it doesn't make sense to require extensive improvements or re-routes to open a trail that already meets the needs of multiple users. To that end, I hope that the "Road and Trail Use Change Survey" process (performed by local staff) will be allowed to determine if additional improvements are needed before opening a trail to mountain bikes (multiple-use). Generally the more flexibility you give to local staff, the better the outcome for all involved.

mtbr member
    Done.

mtbr member
    Done.
    Rollin' rocks will never die...

GMM
    mtbr member
    Done, thanks for posting.

It's about showing up.
    Quote Originally Posted by r3r3r View Post
    Sent.

At a time when CSP has limited funds and resources, it doesn't make sense to require extensive improvements or re-routes to open a trail that already meets the needs of multiple users. To that end, I hope that the "Road and Trail Use Change Survey" process (performed by local staff) will be allowed to determine if additional improvements are needed before opening a trail to mountain bikes (multiple-use). Generally the more flexibility you give to local staff, the better the outcome for all involved.
    Put this is in your letter.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    commented, and also imagining the possibilities now:

Sugarloaf
    Tam
    Nisene Marks

Optimistic, but... Cowell? Pacifica (crack, 911 etc)?
    9 out of 10 doctors surveyed said, "Who is this, and why are you calling so late!?"

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Done.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Done, thanks OP and folks like Berkeley Mike who are always on this stuff

trail rat
    Here is another opportunity to provide feedback.
    PUBLIC NOTICE

CALIFORNIA RECREATIONAL TRAILS COMMITTEE

NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that the California Recreational Trails Committee, pursuant to authority contained in Section 5073.5 et al. of the Public Resources Code, Section 11120 et seq. of the Government Code, and pursuant to law, will meet on Monday, December 3rd, 2012 in the Auditorium of the State Resources Building, located at 1416 9th Street, Sacramento, California 95814. The meeting facility is wheelchair accessible. The California Recreational Trails Committee will sunset in January 2013. As a result, this will be the last Committee meeting.

Information on the public meeting is available at the California State Parks Statewide Trails Section web site at Statewide Trails Program & Planning.

NOTICE IS GIVEN that any person may file a statement regarding meeting items by writing to the address above or by presenting oral or written statements at the meeting. Inquiries or requests for information should be directed to Alexandra Stehl, Acting Executive Secretary via email at astehl@parks.ca.gov, or by calling (916) 651-8713, or by writing to the California Recreational Trails Committee, P.O. Box 942896, Sacramento, California 94296-0001. California State Parks does not discriminate against individuals with disabilities. Visitors who wish assistance should contact Ms. Stehl at the address above at least 72 hours prior to arrival.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

middle ring single track

Lame duck...

Quote Originally Posted by slocaus View Post
    Here is another opportunity to provide feedback.
    "The California Recreational Trails Committee will sunset in January 2013. As a result, this will be the last Committee meeting."
    Is there a replacement on the horizon? Otherwise it seems that commenting could be a waste of time. Can you give an example of something they've done that's positive from a MTB perspective? Maybe it's a good thing they're "sunsetting"???
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

mtbr member
    Done

Ride Responsibly
    Quote Originally Posted by pliebenberg View Post
    Is there a replacement on the horizon? Otherwise it seems that commenting could be a waste of time. Can you give an example of something they've done that's positive from a MTB perspective? Maybe it's a good thing they're "sunsetting"???
    Comments made at these meetings become public record and are part of the information used to develop the PEIR that is the topic of this thread.
    I admit to only having a minor first hand knowledge of the Committees contributions, but my opinion is favorable of the committee overall. I know that at least one of the Equestrian members is an open minded individual who is not afraid to stand up to those crying for bikes to go away and leave their poor horsies alone.
    And the bicycle advocates are top notch.

California Recreational Trails Committee

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by LWright View Post
    I know that at least one of the Equestrian members is an open minded individual who is not afraid to stand up to those crying for bikes to go away and leave their poor horsies alone.
    And the bicycle advocates are top notch.
    ..and thus this committee is no more?

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    BAM! done.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Done.

grinder
    Done

trail rat
    For those who don't get it (double entendre intended), this from today's IMBA Southwest Regional News:
    California to Take Major Step Forward in Opening Trails to Bikes in State Parks

California State Parks (CSP) recently released a report detailing the new process for adding mountain bikes to existing state park trails. The key feature of the report is that it will allow for the addition of mountain bikes on specific trails without the need for additional and often prohibitively expensive environmental analysis. The process is a major step forward for CSP and will positively affect mountain bike access. CSP is accepting public comments on its report until Dec. 4. IMBA created a simple form that allows you to easily and quickly voice your support.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

Lightly salted
    Sent, and finger crossed for more bike access!

mtbr member
    Done. My wish is for the single track at Mt. Diablo to be linked together.
    "Time won't leave me as I am "