Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have seen nicer mt bikes on cars around Quepos, on the west coast. I have spent some time in the Osa Pennisula which is more wild and rainy. I have heard the rain forest can grow 3 feet/ day, so hard to keep trails open. Also, it's 90 deg F and 90%RH along the coastal areas.
    Seems the more cooler mountain areas could have some killer riding.

Regarding healthcare, Costa Rica has some good accredited hospitals around San Jose. I also got quotes from Cigna for France, Costa Rica and Cananda for a silver plan for a 59 year old. They all came in around 350-$400. That same plan here has got to be way over $1000 month.

So, might be the plan when Paul Ryan kills medicare.

Sloths are hella cute.

Pura Vida

J

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rox View Post
    japan has a lot of things going for it but the language barrier is huge and the work sucks. people work A LOT and the structure is very rigid and hierarchical. that and theres basically no mountain biking near tokyo
    Quote Originally Posted by ron m. View Post
    Yeah, I only saw one mountain bike there last year @ Hakone (about an hour away from Tokyo). Food was pretty awesome.

Have to make a clarification about Switzerland. Best views, but their food blows (and is expensive). LOL!
    From what I seen there is more mountain biking in Japan than meets the eye. Very under the radar. They do have a few mtb parks but there is some underground mtb riding that looks quite good. Also, the cost of living is not that bad in Japan. The Bay Area is much worse.

Lots of outdoor activities and Japan is uber safe.

The con is the language barrier and work environment. However, the tough work environment is mainly in corporate with the "salarymen" (workhorses of corporate) Small business work environment seems better.

Snowjnky McDreamy
    interesting map showing the difficulty of learning the european languages

Attachment 1170955
    I learned Polish in 12 week.
    I still speak it pretty well after 20 years
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

Snowjnky McDreamy
    Todos Santos, Baja CA, Mexico.
    Biking, Beach and Good Surf.
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrackmack View Post
    And those in Japan have the least amount of sex out of any other country in the world, by a lot. Their population is projected to drop by almost 100mm within the next century, From about 130mm to 40mm. Something's not right with the culture in Japan for this to be happening and sure doesn't sound like a place I would want to visit let alone live.
    "And those in Japan have the least amount of sex out of any other country in the world, by a lot. "

this is disconcerting...

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I have been around this globe a few times, I fell in love with northern Spain around the Pyrenees (Berga) or in Perpignan France. Nice people, great food, little regard for trail rules , though sometimes people can get cranky about private property, but I've found a smile and a basic knowledge of the language goes a long way. Also, loved the dolomite mountains in Italy, but as previously pointed out not much English is spoken in the rural areas, but again if you can speak French of Spanish like a 4-year old you can get by and with time improve.

Lastly, Baja Cali would be a lot easier and pretty damn nice, all this talk is getting me itchy for retirement, sigh.....just another 20-25 years, but at least with fine government pension as an engineer with the City....dig it all and Happy hoppy New Years may there be many miles ahead!

Snowjnky McDreamy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Claus View Post
    , but at least with fine government pension as an engineer with the City....dig it all and Happy hoppy New Years may there be many miles ahead!
    What city ?
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by snowjnky View Post
    mexico had over 20,000 murders this year. no way Im going near that place

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post

A good friend with a very big family and support network here just left for Idaho for good. I'm pretty shocked but maybe not. People are weighing options.
    Where in Idaho did he end up?

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by zon View Post
    Where in Idaho did he end up?

Boise, like most.
    IPA will save America

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Boise, like most.
    Hmm,, neighbors. I'm in Middleton,, for good.

\.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    If you live in California, why not try actually living in the United States instead of a whack job place like Kommiefornia?

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey Trevor View Post
    If you live in California, why not try actually living in the United States instead of a whack job place like Kommiefornia?
    Hatred is strong I see. No desire to leave Norcal. Few other states I have been to pale in comparison.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Climate and tech jobs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    We already have a thread for that:
    Want to leave Bay Area. Where to go?

Your posting in the norcal forum to tell us that we suck is but a symptom of the way our country becomes more divided by the day.
    It is no wonder that some are looking to other countries for a "plan B".

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Climate and tech jobs.
    Social climate as well. Diversity and all that.
    And there is the music.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    If outside the US (but not too far), and not back to the PI, I would totally check out Belize.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by andytiedye View Post
    And there is the music.
    Pretty sure music isn't something that only happens in CA.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by zon View Post
    Hmm,, neighbors. I'm in Middleton,, for good.

\.
    Did you move? When and why? Detailszzzz.
    IPA will save America

trail gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Yes, Pemberton is good, but you could not pay me enough to live in Vancouver.
    In more sense than one. Vancouver real estate is expensive:

Crack Shack or Mansion?
    Mountain bikers are generally a rational bunch...until someone moves a rock on our favorite trail and we lose our minds - LMN

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by ray.vermette View Post
    In more sense than one. Vancouver real estate is expensive:

Crack Shack or Mansion?
    Vancouver had a huge outcry about real estate pricing and locals not being able to buy there as well.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    If one leaves CA for another state, the negative attitude towards Californians gets a little old. When I moved to Nevada 15 years ago, I got a ton of “you’re taking over!” or “don’t bring your commie attitude here”. For a long time a popular bumper sticker was “I don’t care how they do it in California”. With welcoming attitudes like that, why not go elsewhere?

BTW it’s much better here now mostly because of the intense emigration from California. Although I do still see that attitude when I travel to other states.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Climate and tech jobs.
    also, good universities and research institutions, attracting talent that then progresses to said tech (and other) jobs.
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dth656 View Post
    also, good universities and research institutions, attracting talent that then progresses to said tech (and other) jobs.
    That is how I ended up here. PhD at Stanford. Can’t leave Peninsula since. Too good.

Politics of CA annoys me. But, well, whatever.

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesjus View Post
    If one leaves CA for another state, the negative attitude towards Californians gets a little old. When I moved to Nevada 15 years ago, I got a ton of “you’re taking over!” or “don’t bring your commie attitude here”. For a long time a popular bumper sticker was “I don’t care how they do it in California”. With welcoming attitudes like that, why not go elsewhere?

BTW it’s much better here now mostly because of the intense emigration from California. Although I do still see that attitude when I travel to other states.

I can understand that getting old.

As a native and resident of Michigan for a good many years, I worked retail quite a bit and was always genuinely impressed and proud that many travelers through the area including those from Canada always commented on how friendly MI folks were. When we moved to Colorado in 1993, I felt welcomed and I'd no more gripe about
    'all those from _______ moving here and taking over'.
    because I am/was just as much an outsider also.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

L1MEY
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesjus View Post

I have noticed that attitude here in NV as well and I don't like it... and I'm not even from CA! It makes you wonder if the people spouting it even know what communism is.
    Ride like a girl!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dth656 View Post
    Definitely got that in the southern New England too.
    Politics are generally pretty reasonable IMO.

Climate maybe not so much, at least some days.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    wow dude thats some interesting reasoning. sex and procreation are not the same thing and child bearing rates drop among all developed nations since people have careers and easier access to birth control. that would be a weird thing to base a visit on.
    Japan's birth rate dropping has had serious, long-term consequences on its economy. The issue is much more important than the sex itself; the lack of population growth or even replenishment has absolutely devastated the country.

Italy was on a similar, but less serious path about 10 years ago. I'm not sure if that trend has reversed itself.

trail gnome
    Birthrates are declining in many developed nations. This phenomenon is not exclusive to Japan. Canada, for instance -- our total population would be declining if it wasn't for immigration. Japan is following the lead of other nations and finally starting to relax its immigration policies.

As others already pointed out, a declining birth rate is not necessarily due to people having less sex. If people are educated and birth control is readily available and affordable, some of those people are going to decide to spent their money on things other than having more children. Like mountain bikes, for instance.

Can we stop fixating on Japanese having/not having sex now?
    Mountain bikers are generally a rational bunch...until someone moves a rock on our favorite trail and we lose our minds - LMN

mtbr member
    The mountain biking scene is growing super fast in China. Check out this video of a recent DH race in Enping, China. They had a ton TV cameras and a lot of support from the city and community.

https://www.facebook.com/gzdhsa/vide...5929/?sk=h_nor

mtbr member
    Hawaii is to surfing what BC is to Mountain biking. I'm always surprised more Californians aren't privy to this. All of these places are at least on par, or blow away all of our NorCal riding.

Living in California, you shouldn't suffer ftom such sticker shock in Vancouver!

Vancouver North Shore
    Squammish
    Pemberton
    Whistler
    Williams Lake
    Victoria/Vancouver Island
    Chilcotins
    Nelson
    Ferney
    Kamloops

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowjnky View Post
    I'm heading there the 1st weekend of February. Any trail suggestions?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12