Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    fc
    stoked Administrator

Want to leave Bay Area. Where to go?

Not me (right now) but this could be a very good topic based on recent events and conversation. For one reason or another, many want/have to leave the SF Bay Area. Others can get a pile of cash too if they leave.

The hard part is where should one go exactly? What city and state? Talk about:

- accessibility and quality of mountain biking available
    - outdoor and other nature activities
    - other sports available and what are they
    - weather or how bad is it compared to the Bay Area
    - beauty of the area
    - jobs, jobs and cost of living
    - quality of people and of culture, education and racial tolerance
    - traffic and access to transportation and airports
    - good affordable food? Burrito? Beeeeer?
    - Growing economy or collapsing?
    - infrastructure and climate for raising kids

Let's talk it out. Give us the real scoop. Photos please.

Resources:
    https://www.redfin.com/blog/2016/06/...e-changed.html

California?s skyrocketing housing costs, taxes prompt exodus of residents ? The Mercury News

One-third ponder leaving Bay Area amid costs, congestion - SFGate

Want to leave Bay Area. Where to go?-2.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    The only place I've ever considered if I left the Bay Area is not that far away. Grass Valley/Nevada City is really appealing to me. Beyond that, I love the Truckee area. Not sure how'd I'd "winter" though.

If I left that state and money was assured, I'd consider Utah and/or Wyoming.
    One gear for all, 'cus one is all you need.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    The only place I've ever considered if I left the Bay Area is not that far away. Grass Valley/Nevada City is really appealing to me. Beyond that, I love the Truckee area. Not sure how'd I'd "winter" though.

Give us some details about these areas. They sound really intriguing but I don't know squat about them aside from the random mention or drive by.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Fc i always see that house on side of 280N, is that your place?

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Ah, the Flintstone house. Was better in its beige phase imho.

I'd seriously consider moving to Reno at this point. Decent job market, cost of living is relatively tolerable, but the mtb community is off the hook. I get a great vibe every time I ride Peavine.

mtbr member
    Austin. No one has heard of it yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
    Marin County, CA

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Sacramento is a budding market, i moved herr from santa cruz county in '03 for school, with the thought of moving back.. fast forward met my wife, married, bought a house, had kids.. and now i have no intentions/wants of moving back, even considering the help we would get in raising our daughters. Cost of living out here is so much lower than the bay or santa cruz.

Sacramento has enough of a big city feel for me, without really being a huge city (population ~470k) a river runs through the city which gives it a nice anti concrete jungle vibe. I can go from my house to river trail in about 2 minutes, i can go from my house to midtown in about 15 minutes.

its close enough to the bay or sierras that a day trip is possible.

city of trees! seriously, trees everywhere..

only real drawback are hot summers

i like it here

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    hailey, id

high marks for everything in the list except jobs and cost of living. jobs are low paying relative to cost of living.

mtbr member
    Denver metro has a very high quality of life if you can take the weather. Great mountain biking close by (available more than you'd think- snow usually melts quickly and doesn't build up). The tech job market is OK but not great (which ultimately made me move here). There's beer everywhere and a very good food scene in the city of Denver (but NOT the burbs). Housing isn't cheap, but it's cheaper than here.
    The biggest downside is the weather which is volitile to say the least. Wind storms, snow storms, heavy thunderstorms, hail, extended periods of high temps, and even the occassional tornado are all on the table. It's also extremely dry; there's almost no humidity in the air ever. Which means you go around shocking yourself and drinking water constantly
    Much lower on the list of downsides- you will go through a lot more tires on your bike. Those rocky trails will completely wear out a couple rear tires a year.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    What would be really handy is... What are the DOWNSIDES? What has been the hardest to stomach.

Honesty is best.
    IPA will save America

President of the Internet
    I lived in Ashland, OR for 5 years. Loved it there! Year round riding out your front door, tons of great riding a few hours drive. Gets a touch of snow in the winter but pretty warm in the summer. Your got Mt Ashland for ski/snowboarding in the winter. Great small town community. 10/10
    Sometimes you eat the trail, sometimes the trail eats you.

Thinking of buying a home?
    http://Search-Sacramento-Homes.com

One Cog Short
    Denver is terrible. Every part of it. Don't move here.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Someone needs to give the full lowdown on Bend, Oregon. I have 4 friends that relocated there. They're still there too.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Mendocino.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Truckee or somewhere in Tahoe. It has all the points that fc lists except for proximity to main airport (I wouldn't consider Reno as such). But who wants to go elsewhere when you live there?
    MTB obviously is awesome. And if you can't ride in winter you can always sky.

rho
    Life is strange
    I'm getting pretty close to packing it up here in the Bay Area and heading out to the Denver-ish area. I end up out there for work on a semi-regular basis and I'm falling in love with all the Front Range has to offer. I know I'd have a hard time leaving the weather of the Bay behind, and that might just be the biggest thing keeping me here. I've looked at going up north to Seattle or heading back down to SoCal but COL and the job base are limiting factors with those two vs Denver where I'd be with the same employer.

The stoke factor is high in Colorado, I worked with a few engineers there who ride and we ended up chatting about riding for hours. I really really hope I can devote some time to checking out the mountains the next time I'm there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'm in Santa Rosa, recently got a good job in town. I had been commuting the Bay Area for the last 6-8 years basically. Housing prices are lower than the rest of Bay Area, by a lot. Mountain bike riding is really good. I live 5 minutes from Annadel, by bike. Wine Culture, Beer culture, weed culture, hippy culture...all exist in the area. Schools are really good.

The Bad: It took me a while to find a good job for me, in the area. I'm a Mechanical Engineer. There aren't any as many options in Sonoma County. If you are in tech, there are only a handful of solid companies, and they are more established, which is good and bad. Economy is not really growing and not really collapsing at the moment.
    I moved here when I was younger, and there is not as much going on as the city..go figure. Getting to the Sierras is a hassle. It seems to add another hour coming and going. No real DH trails, not that the Bay Area has much.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by the.vault View Post
    I'm in Santa Rosa, recently got a good job in town. I had been commuting the Bay Area for the last 6-8 years basically. Housing prices are lower than the rest of Bay Area, by a lot. Mountain bike riding is really good. I live 5 minutes from Annadel, by bike. Wine Culture, Beer culture, weed culture, hippy culture...all exist in the area. Schools are really good.

The Bad: It took me a while to find a good job for me, in the area. I'm a Mechanical Engineer. There aren't any as many options in Sonoma County. If you are in tech, there are only a handful of solid companies, and they are more established, which is good and bad. Economy is not really growing and not really collapsing at the moment.
    I moved here when I was younger, and there is not as much going on as the city..go figure. Getting to the Sierras is a hassle. It seems to add another hour coming and going. No real DH trails, not that the Bay Area has much.
    if you are a mech.E, there used to be a few startups in petaluma that needed MechEs. if staying in SR, your options are relatively limited. one thing you might want to look at is getting a gig teaching basic math, physics, etc at SRJC (pay cut, but you get 4 months off a year).
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I left California for the Pacific Northwest - everything you're looking for up here.
    No I'm not going to spend 3 hours going down your list and typing and posting pics, but as long as you stay out of Seattle proper you're good.

Bay Area mountain biking (and I did it for years and years) is garbage compared to the PNW, and a number of other places like Co for instance. Down in Santa Cruz it was good, and I loved Saratoga Gap, but riding up here is epic.

Just have to get used to less sun, that's the only downside.
    Upside is that I'm comfortable outside more or less 365 - maybe one week a year where it's uncomfortably hot where I'm at.

mtbr member

Bend...

Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Someone needs to give the full lowdown on Bend, Oregon. I have 4 friends that relocated there. They're still there too.
    Having lived in the SLC, UT area for 20 years, my wife and I decided to leave for a smaller community somewhere. Real estate prices were really high when we sold due to the impending 2002 Olympics. With the freshly garnered profits we bought just outside of Bend, OR in 1996.

In the late 1970's, I had spent time doing summer ski race camps there when the population was well under 15K. The town was cute as a button and the outer area was not built up yet. We bought a home on 7 acres between Bend and Sisters. Our home had a full view of the Three Sisters and 54K acres of BLM land off our back deck. Perfect for riding and exploring. Summers were great except for the fact that at any given time you could wake to freezing temps and by noon be over 90°. Tough on the tomatoes! Then, the wind would come up like clock work every afternoon. Winters were mostly dry (high Desert) and gray. Wind still played at our psyche daily. It finally did me in.

The trail system around Bend has improved dramatically since we left in 1999. But, Bend has been discovered - BIG TIME! The trails get really loose by mid-July. Lots of dust! Although, the best trail in my estimation was: Tumalo Falls to the Flagline trail loop which is only open after August 15th (Elk calving). A 24 mile loop w/ over 4,000' of elevation gain.

Bend is a great community for younger, athletic folks who seem to be running or biking all the time. But, bring lots of $$$$$$ for real estate. BTW: If you like skiing move to Colorado or Utah. Bachelor has typical Sierra cement like conditions. Growing up in Vermont, I loved ice, but as I got older and having skied in the SLC area (Snowbird and Alta), nothing beats that snow. Champagne powder!

On the downside: Bend grew so fast that it lost much of its original charm. In 1996, the population was 27K when we first arrived and 3 years later had grown near of 70K (partly due to Microsoft early buy-outs). The city flat out sold its soul to the developers. Redmond was a dump back then but affordable plus, had a big meth issue. Again, we sold with a great return. It afforded us a chance to move south.

We are now in the Mendocino area and I truly feel at home after 17 years here! Winters are mild enough to ride all year round (I don't miss snow anymore. Although I still constantly dream about it). There is an extensive trail system (150 miles) here coupled with an amazingly supportive biking community. Cost of living is high (could be the weed?) with real estate prices on the rise again. Good for us though. But if you sell in the Bay area, houses here can be picked up with your pocket change. Health care here is a problem with a poorly run hospital just barely out of bankruptcy with an older group of medical professionals looking to retire. We do have one new family practitioner whose husband owned the Velo City Cycle shop in Winters. They love it here. Plus, Myke is one hell of a bike mechanic too! Things are looking even better!
    Now, about the pizza and IPAs...! I'm heading to Piaci for an evening out...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PricklyPete View Post
    Denver is terrible. Every part of it. Don't move here.
    You're new at this, keeping Valley Kooks from moving to Colorado, aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by PricklyPete View Post

Denver is terrible. Every part of it. Don't move there.

~~~~~~~
    Don't move to Seattle either unless you want to deal with all the same issues related to housing, plus a truncated riding season. The trails also suck.

that last part is definitely not true...

$80,000 median: Income gain in Seattle far outpaces other cities | The Seattle Times

One Cog Short
    Quote Originally Posted by rho View Post
    I'm getting pretty close to packing it up here in the Bay Area and heading out to the Denver-ish area. I end up out there for work on a semi-regular basis and I'm falling in love with all the Front Range has to offer. I know I'd have a hard time leaving the weather of the Bay behind, and that might just be the biggest thing keeping me here. I've looked at going up north to Seattle or heading back down to SoCal but COL and the job base are limiting factors with those two vs Denver where I'd be with the same employer.

The stoke factor is high in Colorado, I worked with a few engineers there who ride and we ended up chatting about riding for hours. I really really hope I can devote some time to checking out the mountains the next time I'm there.
    It is getting more and more crowded here and COL is going up (for housing), but there is a ton of trails at your fingertips. Feel free to hit me up for riding location tips if you make it back.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I am plotting Marin -> Tahoe by late spring. So long MCL, adios Footpeople! Hi bears.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Did the Bay Area --> Sac Metro move last year. Never looked back. Only downside is the food sucks in Sacramento area when compared to Bay Area. I still have nightmares about riding the BART but they are becoming less frequent.

mtbr member
    Summer in Whistler BC, and another "summer" in Queenstown New Zealand.

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Quote Originally Posted by duderidesabike View Post
    Did the Bay Area --> Sac Metro move last year. Never looked back. Only downside is the food sucks in Sacramento area when compared to Bay Area. I still have nightmares about riding the BART but they are becoming less frequent.
    You're a stronger person than me, weather-wise. I grew up in the bay, but spent a few years in Davis/Sacramento for school and job. My first summer (2006) it was over 110 degrees for most of July. And in 2008 the whole state caught on fire, so the air quality was...thick. Very happy to be back somewhere that 85 degrees is a heat wave and 45 degrees is a cold snap.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AKD View Post
    You're a stronger person than me, weather-wise. I grew up in the bay, but spent a few years in Davis/Sacramento for school and job. My first summer (2006) it was over 110 degrees for most of July. And in 2008 the whole state caught on fire, so the air quality was...thick. Very happy to be back somewhere that 85 degrees is a heat wave and 45 degrees is a cold snap.
    I'm east of the metro area at about 1700 feet elevation in the Sierra Foothills. Heat and air quality issues are less of an issue.

Personally would not want to live in Sac proper.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    ALL of my friends living in Bend that relocated from Norcal wish they were in Norcal but can't afford back in. They all say the same thing. Bend is super cool but kind of a monoculture and after about a decade they crave something different. Big Town, but isolated.
    FWIW

Reno is cool, my folks live there but there is actually not much riding without a drive. Peavine is fun and there are a ton of trail on it, but my Reno buddies go into this weird Peavine preservation mode because it is the only game in Town. (I.E. they don't ride it when other places are snow free because they WILL be riding it all of the time other parts of the year. It is cool to have such a vast trail network in a city though. People always talk about cheapness and cost of living in Reno, but a part that is left out is that Reno is pretty groovy to. Lotsa good eats, music, events, weirdness.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I left 11 months ago, and I don't regret it for a second. I now own a beautiful home, I can pedal to work everyday on SINGLE TRACK in just about an hour. I am a five minute pedal from the largest city park in the country South Mountain Preserve. Every trail here is legal. Schools are amazing, the NICA leauge is incredibly strong. Its the 5th largest metro area in the US so there is plenty to do.

Phoenix is awesome, YES it gets hot but AM rides keep me riding year round, and rain is never an issue.

And if you want to escape the heat, San Diego and LA are a 5 hour drive, Sedona is 2 hours, and flagstaff is about 2 hours.

The cost of living is over 30% less expensive. I don't miss the bay area even a little. I walked in after a month here, looked at my wife and told her, "I finally feel like upper middle class!"

Hoping for Endless Summer
    If I had no family or if I weren't close to them, I would move to Scotland for at least part of the year. Beautiful country, friendly people, and great riding. Also much easier and cheaper to get to Europe.

If I had to stay in the US:
    - Boulder, Colorado but only for the summers.
    - Humboldt, if finding a job weren't a problem
    - Austin, TX but that is less about riding
    - Appalachia if I didn't have to deal with other people

Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post

That whole forested area in Alpine/Calaveras/Amador/etc. Counties is beautiful. I would have said that myself, but I am close enough as is. The winters aren't terrible, especially in Truckee and Tahoe because you can always go west or east to get out of it if the roads are open. In Mammoth, we are a lot more constrained. We are surrounded by the Owens Valley which is beautiful, but there isn't much "civilization" or stuff to do when all of the seasonal roads are closed except going to LA, Vegas or Reno all of which are a significant drive. Though, we aren't as busy in town. I've heard Tahoe is becoming an extension of the Bay Area. Count me out of that.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    If/When it happens, if ever, Oregon, possibly as far North as Castle Rock or across towards Kennewick, WA. Like Widgeontrail I know Ashland/Talent/Phoenix really well. Spent Summers there as a kid and time as an adult. Growing up and climbing from or bombing down from Mohawk St made me love bikes.

NonBike/Work related, Gold Beach Oregon.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Anywhere outside the bay area is an improvement. Frisco sucks, and the cost of living is only a minor factor in that assessment. I hate big cities in general and frisco in particular. (yeah, I know 'frisco' is a demeaning term for the bay area. That I why I use it.)

As far as quality of riding -- you make your own no matter where you are. If you need someone else to make a cool trail system before you can enjoy riding just for the pleasure of riding, then you will never get there.

If you have a good job when you move there, then whether it is a growing job market or not for others is irrelevant. Salaries are less but so is cost of living. So that all balances out. I have many friends that left for L.A. or Frisco, saying they needed a better paying job. Almost all of them returned after a couple years saying despite the great salary, their standard of living was lower because of the cost. Returned here to a lower salary and ended up with a better life.

Many parts of the country have real winters. Not just the occasional one day storms with several days of nice weather inbetween. Earlier Wyoming was mentioned. Are you willing to have below freezing temperatures day and night for weeks on end? A ground covering snowpack that lasts from December to March? Hard to get some good riding under those conditions.

Is the spouse ready for a 2 hour drive one-way to do major shopping? The only restaurants are Jose's Taqueria or Bubba's Bar and Grill? Attending theater or a concert requires an entire weekend to drive and stay overnight in a distant city? The only local town grocery has a fraction of the selection you are used to?

If you are willing to forgo all the conveniences and amenities of a large urban area, and adjust to small town living, then opportunities abound. The rewards are great -- outdoor recreation of all kinds is a walk out the door and down the street. Wildlife in your backyard every day. Quiet at night, and your kids can look at the night sky and understand why it is called the Milky Way. But it does come at a price. You give up a lot to get the rural life. In my case my wife and I both agreed it was the life we wanted and the place to raise a family. Others may make a different choice. But wherever you choose, make the choice with eyes wide open and understand the tradeoffs.
    So many trails... so little time...

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I think more people should leave Bay Area.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    From friend:

Kenny Roberts:
    Made the move two years ago to Bend and so glad I'm gonna drink a beer to celebrate! It was the third time I left California in my life. accessibility and quality of mountain biking available - Great riding out the front door.
    - outdoor and other nature activities - hiking, fishing, skiing, kayaking and pretty much everythiing else - oh yeah an beer drinking
    - weather or how bad is it compared to the Bay Area - We get snow and cold in the winter so not optimal for wimpy Bay Area People
    - beauty of the area - Unbelievable
    - jobs, jobs and cost of living - There are jobs but it's still just a small city. Bring a good one with you, create one or work in the service industry
    - quality of people and of culture, education and racial tolerance - very high!!
    - traffic and access to transportation and airports - There is no traffic and the regional airport is 30 mins away
    - good affordable food? Burrito? Beeeeer? - Food is very affordable - beer is gushing from fountains!
    - Growing economy or collapsing? Growing economy - supposedly one of the fastet in the country although it's still small city (80k)
    - infrastructure and climate for raising kids - excellent
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    May 2008
    winter=baja,summer=oregon

middle ring single track
    Besides Silicon Valley (born and raised) I've lived/worked Sacramento, Grass Valley, and a little time in Nevada and Wyoming. I left Grass Valley with the notion of returning and retiring there. Life got in the way and perceptions change (as do demographics) so I'm quite happy to fade away where I now live in San Benito County.

Most of my neighbors who have cashed out moved to Texas and so far most have stayed put.

Longer-term observation, most acquaintances (a generation or 2 older) who moved out of state (or out of country) to "exotic" locales seem to return to California to die. Families and better heath care I suspect.

My Medicare card became active Oct 1st.

Whoopee!
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I've never lived in the Bay but enjoy it when I visit. In fact proximity to the Bay is one of the huge perks of living in Truckee. I moved to Truckee from rural Maryland after a stint in the DC metro area, so have some city experience. FWIW I have seen a lot of people move to Truckee over the last 2 decades with this almost overbearing expectation of what living in Truckee should be like, only to either meltdown or be really disappointed. For some it is the bro-brah, others it is the 'tude and oneupmanship, others it is too small and too much of a mono culture. (I don't think Truckee is particularly small).

I often wish we could move just to experience something different, despite the recreation paradise-and like everyone on this Board, I sure like to recreate. But family and friends are here. Anyway, just thought this may relate to people considering smaller locales such as Truckee, Nevada City, Ashland, etc. from a big city. I have a dear friend that loves Nevada City and has lived there for long on a decade, but he says the weird drives him nuts almost daily. But I think he is weird.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    What Kuuk said👍

mtb'er
    Any place that has descent mountain biking is liveable... cause being a mt. biker, you'll almost instantly have lots of new friends if you put yourself out there. The question is if you want to live in snow part time or not, and how far away from an airport can you handle living. Heat? Get a pool or live near a lake or river.

Bay Area resident from 1970 to 1999 (minus college years). Sierra foothills since 1999. I'd never go back to the Bay Area to live, and I don't know any of the many expatriates who would. With the ridiculous traffic, I don't even want to visit friends and family in the Bay Area if I can avoid it.

Quality of life.

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Quote Originally Posted by hairylegs View Post
    Denver metro has a very high quality of life if you can take the weather. Great mountain biking close by (available more than you'd think- snow usually melts quickly and doesn't build up). The tech job market is OK but not great (which ultimately made me move here). There's beer everywhere and a very good food scene in the city of Denver (but NOT the burbs). Housing isn't cheap, but it's cheaper than here.
    The biggest downside is the weather which is volitile to say the least. Wind storms, snow storms, heavy thunderstorms, hail, extended periods of high temps, and even the occassional tornado are all on the table. It's also extremely dry; there's almost no humidity in the air ever. Which means you go around shocking yourself and drinking water constantly
    Much lower on the list of downsides- you will go through a lot more tires on your bike. Those rocky trails will completely wear out a couple rear tires a year.
    Great 411!!
    Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Banned for showing Boobies.

mtbr member
    I have a buddy in Bend, been there for at least 10 years now. He says that a common joke is: Poverty with a view. It can be expensive by local income standards to live, and housing can be expensive for the same reason, unless you're willing to go to Redmond next door which is largely regarded as unappealing.

If you can figure out the income problem (telecommute to tech job here?) he and his family have carved out an active outdoor life for themselves which I really envy. Winter biking options dwindle, but do exist if you dress for it. And there are other things to do in all that nearby snow.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I live in Nevada City, actually between Grass Valley and Nevada City and have a trail 1/2 mile from my house. I love it here. Trails are improving too. I'm 30 minutes from Foresthill Divide Loop. I lived in Redding for 7 years and my daughter still lives there. So, I go up about once a month and visit. I love the trails there. The best variety I've seen. I've thought of retiring there. The Summer heat is brutal but, tolerable. The city itself kinda sucks. I also lived in Chico, Trails were okay, the town though, is fun year round.

mtbr member
    I'm always fascinated by people who MTB but don't ski, or vice-versa. They are so, so similar I just can't even fathom liking one but not the other... especially once you factor in backcountry skiing in the winter and earning your turns.

Anyway, Truckee is rad and not too small IMO... but the real estate prices have shot way up over the past few years. Getting close to 2006 levels. Still cheap compared to most of the bay, of course. Comparable to Santa Rosa, I'd say.

mtbr member
    Woah this Denver place sounds great. And tech jobs with ping pong tables. Maybe we should all move there.

Marin County, CA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit21 View Post
    I left .

Bay Area mountain biking (and I did it for years and years) is garbage compared to the PNW, and a number of other places like Co for instance.
    What is this magical area of the PNW that is better than the birth and residing place of the soul of mountain biking?

Not to knock anywhere else, but there is a reason so much of the industry is based here and it's not coincidence.

Marin County, CA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DriverB View Post
    What is this magical area of the PNW that is better than the birth and residing place of the soul of mountain biking?

Not to knock anywhere else, but there is a reason so much of the industry is based here and it's not coincidence.
    Bellingham, I'm guessing, if we're talking south of the Canadian border. At least that's what I hear. And history doesn't mean much when you consider the current state of Marin. Even if you want to keep it in the state, Tahoe is way better than the bay area and it's not even close.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JT79 View Post
    Bellingham, I'm guessing, if we're talking south of the Canadian border. At least that's what I hear. And history doesn't mean much when you consider the current state of Marin. Even if you want to keep it in the state, Tahoe is way better than the bay area and it's not even close.
    And BC is better than Tahoe. What's your point?

My point is, the mountains of Santa Cruz to Marin are the home of the sport like it or not. I'm sure the PNW is peachy but don't tell me it's "garbage". You either have no idea what you are talking about or can't ride anyway.

Marin County, CA

mtbr member

My point is, the mountains of Santa Cruz to Marin are the home of the sport like it or not. I'm sure the PNW is peachy but don't tell me it's "garbage". You either have no idea what you are talking about or can't ride anyway.
    I think you're confusing me for someone else. I never said the bay area was garbage, that was Gambit21. However, I can admit that there's some better riding up in the PNW, that's all. I live 10 minutes from Annadel and love the hell out of that place - works for me. And Marin has great stuff too, especially the foot people's turf. ;-) Hero dirt on the way with this storm right now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Not the Bay area but planning on leaving Portland OR by March. 111 people move to the Portland zip code a week and that does not include the other 15 or so zipcodes that make it a city. Any semblance that once made the city cool is long gone...thanks California!

I love the van life & have spent a significant portion of the last 20 years traveling around recreating. It seems everywhere desirable for the outdoor enthusiast is growing gangbusters as of late.

I'm currently considering several locals to relocate and not having an easy time picking one. I was all but set on Oakridge OR but now that the rains are back I'm considering places with a longer season....a much longer season.

Places I'm considering-
    Twisp WA
    Spokane WA
    Oakridge OR
    McCall ID
    Salida CO
    Brevard NC

Right now Brevard is the top of my list. Land/ housing prices are the lowest of anywhere I would consider living. A long if not year round season. Access to awesome local riding & jumping off point to GA,TN, AR, WV. So tons of riding & the trail building/ riding scene in AR is really impressive, maybe the best in the states cutrently. Iwill certainly miss the the Cascades & not sure I can leave them...ah decisions.

One final note, you can have Bend.

Edit-- that's 111 people moving to Portland zip every day
    Last edited by WHALENARD; 10-16-2016 at 03:03 PM.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Moved to Redding in 07 and have not looked back. I live on 3.5 acres near Whiskeytown lake. Lots of killer singletrack out my back door and more trails being made(Redding Trail Alliance). I can bike from my house into town 5+ miles on a paved trail(check out sacramento river trail). Surrounded by the Trinity Alps(epic backpacking) to the west, Mt. Shasta(skiing) 1 hour to the north, and Mt Lassen to the east. Some of the best fly fishing in the world year round. No traffic...cheaper housing....a few new breweries(Wildcard's Tied house on Pine St.)....the very cool Cascade theater(1935 art deco) has good venues regularly. Great mexican at Reconcitos etc. It can get hot in the summer but not for to long. Big box stores if you need them. 2 hospitals(good for jobs). Administrative hub for Shasta county(jobs). Huge potential for growth(there is a group trying to get a UC school here). Somewhat conservative but it's slowly changing. People are nice. Great place to raise kids. Good schools, e.g. there is a public Montessori school down the street. Reminds me of Bend without the money and hype. Oh did I mention the lake? Never going back to the city. If I ever move again in will be north to BC. Hope I don't regret letting the cat out of the bag. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I'll play.. Bought a house in Ashland a month ago, moving up permanently from Marin in January.

- Accessibility/Quality of biking: Ride out my door, to either west or east side of Mt. Ashland. .5 miles from skate park for shuttle pickup if I'm feeling lazy, 3/4 mile to downtown (standing stone brewery!)
    -Outdoor/other nature activities Have barely scratched the surface on this one. Applegate lake, rogue river, hyatt lake, lake of the woods, shasta within an hour, crescent city 2 hours, Umpqua river, etc. Not to mention live 40 minutes from Mt Ashland ski resort.
    -Other sports availableHiking, trail running, kayaking, backpacking, camping. All the usual suspects
    -Warmer in the summer, colder in the winter. Snows a handful of times a year but normally melts off in a day or 2. Yet within a 25 min drive to go play in the snow with siskyou summit right there. The endless water ways and forested canyons are a way to escape the heat
    - Beauty of the area Google image "ashland oregon" and see for yourself!
    - Jobs cost of living Biggest downside. Jobs can be scarce unless you are in the healthcare field, which luckily my wife and I are. Cost of living is very high compared to rest of Southern Oregon, but you can go 10 min north to Talent or Phoenix and get a steal of a house. Coming from Marin, prices are rock bottom.
    -People, culture, education Definitly an interesting culture. College brings young students and professors. Schools are some of the best in Oregon. Some drifter/hippie types runnign around downtown, but cops keep a good handle on them. If you are from Marin, its a mix of Fairfax and San Rafael, without the latino population. Basically a lot of Funk mixed with upscale mixed with family. I haven't found it to be racially intolerant, but definitly not as diverse as SR or Novato.
    -Traffic/airports Traffic? What traffic? Medford has an airport with commercial flights similar to Santa Rosa airport.
    -Food Lots of it. Ashland Coop is a killer grocery store with great organic and local food if thats your thing (big draw for me). Plenty of dives around the college and downtown hole-inthe wall spots. Caldera brew co and standing stone are the local breweries. Growler guys looks like a cool spot though have yet to get in there. Though I'm not sure there is a good, authentic taqueria.
    - Growing economy or collapsing Ashland home values keep going up up up, and rogue valley seems to be growing. Although it is somewhat isolated, so I know job situation can be tight. Would have to do more research on this one.
    -Kid stuff Biggest draw for me. I have a 4 and 3 year old, and am so pumped they are gonna grow up here. Schools are top notch, parks everywhere, bike path runs through town (10 min ride to the hands on science museum; think exploratorium in SF but smaller and cheaper), water slide park and other water parks for summer, and everything the outdoors has to offer. Within 10 minutes of us bringing our kids to the neighborhood for the first time, we counted 8 kids, and our kids made instant friends. It definitly has the old school community vibe. You actually see kids on bikes and outside on weekends. oh, and LITHIA PARK! World class park above town along the watershed.

Anyways, we chose to leave Marin for a variety of reasons. I thought I may regret it but so far am so pumped and ready for something new, no traffic, no more MCL and footpeople and rangers looking to give tickets. Just good clean living!

Over it
    Jun 2010
    ^^ You left out one thing. Most small towns have some rabbits running around people's yards. Ashland has deer!

And the town does attract and tolerate a few eccentric types. Is the Homeless Shepherd still there? A few years before that there was the Topless Chick that streaked the 4th of July parade after they denied her request to be part of the parade!

We spent about 3 weeks there last summer, and the only downside we could find was that the valley can fill with smoke, from fires as far away as Bend or Norcal, but that doesn't happen every year. It's on our retirement shortlist.
    Friends don't let friends ride e-"bikes" on dirt.

Nature is not a sidewalk (I'm looking at you, MidPen).

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    ^^ You left out one thing. Most small towns have some rabbits running around people's yards. Ashland has deer!
    ..plus SKUNKS and RACOONS. Get used to your nice garden/lawn getting grub hunted every year.

One thing I don't see anyone listing, since some of us are parents with kids, is SOU. In the time I've known Ashland that University has actually gotten a ton better and is producing some top notch graduates. The public schools STILL have great teachers. There's the skate park, the (sorta) pump track, and a lot of other reasons it's still a great town in my eyes. (Despite the whole flood thing we had to deal with.)

Now as many point out, if only there was a wider job base not specifically oriented towards tourism and medical. That said I don't see Ashlanders allowing Tech to just move on in, but Medford should get off it's collective ass and bring it in. The loss of the logging cost the area big in the past 20 years and tech would easily fill that in.

I should also add Grants Pass to my short list.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Plus SOU has an outdoor leadership 4 year degree.. How bad ass is that? I'd almost consider going back to school just to take Mountain Biking and get college credit for it!

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by normarin View Post
    I'll play.. Bought a house in Ashland a month ago, moving up permanently from Marin in January.

- Accessibility/Quality of biking: Ride out my door,...

Now this is a post. This is why we hang out here. Thank you!
    IPA will save America

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Plus SOU has an outdoor leadership 4 year degree.. How bad ass is that? I'd almost consider going back to school just to take Mountain Biking and get college credit for it!
    I know, right! There's another couple degrees you can get that are just cool. Which part of town if I can ask? Seriously, drive up to Mohawk and Park Streets. Sit at the empty field, watch the Sunset, and think about getting to see that every single day of the Summer when I was a kid.

I wonder is anyone still keeping up the little gutter jumps going down Siskiyou.

Also, why has nobody listed Black Sheep Pub for Ashland? For some the food in town's enough to stay! Is Big Town Hero still around?

edit: OUCH! BTH and one of the BikeShops closed down. :/

While I'm at it, if you need a solid shop to goto hit up Marty's in Medford. I've known Marty since the mid-90's when he worked at Al's.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Not the Bay area but planning on leaving Portland OR by March. 111 people move to the Portland zip code a week and that does not include the other 15 or so zipcodes that make it a city. Any semblance that once made the city cool is long gone...thanks California!

One final note, you can have Bend.
    Sounds pretty bad, but then my wife's family is from Austin TX and I lived there for architecture school and work, on and off, for 10years between 1996 and 2013. The "city" (including all the sprawl associated with it) went from around 200k to 1.2million in ten years. Pretty sure it was and maybe still is fastest urban growth the US has ever seen. It still has about 1000 people or about 9 times the growth you are stating for the Portland area moving there every week.

They built about 30 new skyscrapers in 10 years, and block after block of South Austin has been plundered, raised and then rebuilt into something completely unrecognizable from when I first moved there. Traffic is about as bad as it is here, and for many it is substantially worse (around 8-10mins per mile during rush hour traffic depending on where you work and where you live.) They do not believe in the same developmental "growth rings" that you have in Portland so the sprawl is effing immense.

Texas recently(last 5 years?) also passed legislation banning the teaching of "critical thinking" in its public schools... so there is that as well.

No state income tax... but punishingly high property tax. That gets increased every year. My brother in law was paying around 15k per year for an 800 sqft house he bought 15 years ago for $112k.

Some of the worst weather on the planet as well. 110 with 95% humidity for months on end. The moisture in the air keeps the temps well into 90-100 even until 1-2 in the morning. Muggy and buggy. Air conditioner compressors whir and hum all night long for a better part of the year.

Definitely a party town if you are young, rich and single.... if that is your bag.

Wages are substantially lower and the only thing that seems to be cheaper there is a gallon of gas. You could live way outside of the center and get a big new house, but you could do the same in Livermore and have about the same commute.

Lots of unmarked very technical rocky singletrack right in the middle of the city. Not great if you like flow. I have always been told it is about 65miles of single track, but I never measured.

Brackish
    I'm a recruiter in technology, living in the Greater Boston Area. I get a ton of interest from people in the Bay Area looking to move out here. There is skiing, a metric ton of mountain biking, boating, hiking, camping, world class cultural events and museums and more kids stuff than we will be able to get through with Thing 1 and Thing 2.

I live in Nashua, NH and my favorite 10 mile MTB loop starts at my door, have 2 other killer spots within a 10-minute drive and many, many more within 30 minutes to an hour. Highland, which is awesome, is about an hour away and there are at least half a dozen unique bike parks within 3-4 hours. NH housing runs about 30-50% cheaper than Mass, so if you work in the technology corridors outside Boston it can be a great option.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Yeah, just using Google seems Austin is the fastest growing city. Though it's hard to gauge how many zipcodes they're using to conclude such as I've heard on talk shows Portland is the fastest growing city. Irrelevant I guess as many once desirable area's to live are experiencing unsustainable growth hence this thread. What ever happened to the propaganda of negative population growth when the baby boomers start to pass???

I like to visit & ride Ashland, but man talk about monoculture. That's one town that's distinctly "college town" feel is inescapable. One fear I'd have buying into Ashland is fire/drought. I think since 2012 or so Mt Ashland has barely been able to open & maybe didn't at all in 2015? I know monetarily the resort is in trouble due to lack of a snow season. Ashland to say Roseburg is an area very susceptible to climate change...an indicator species if you will. Not trying to harsh anyone's buzz, just putting that out there for conversations sake.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I wouldn't live in the bay area for any amount of money, and don't plan to leave Tahoe unless I have to, but I am glad to see the handful of places I would consider moving to haven't been mentioned. You can have your jobs and awesome houses and IPA, I'll be where the sick riding is and figure out a way to make it work 😊.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Bend, OR indeed has grown extremely fast and it ain't what it use to be. I don't know you, and you don't know me, but you should check it out before you make any big decisions. (Everything seems cheap compared to the Bay Area)

...don't forget to takes taxes into your calculations...sales, income, and property taxes are all very different than CA

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtssogood View Post
    ..I am glad to see the handful of places I would consider moving to haven't been mentioned. You can have your jobs and awesome houses and IPA, I'll be where the sick riding is and figure out a way to make it work 😊.
    Oh there's places some of us know and you're hitting the target with your reply. We're talking in general terms. No way in hell I'm listing the other three choices.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Boise. That is where I ended up. Low cost of living, fantastic MTBing (both connected to town and throughout the state), much better traffic situation, super low crime, friendly atmosphere, all the amenities you could want, decent job opportunities (and getting better all the time as more companies move here), great for kids, tons of skiing in winter if that is your thing, similar weather (hot in summer with some rain occasionally, colder in winter but totally manageable), GREAT for kids, airport is a short drive away with flights anywhere I would personally go, beautiful mountain view, and... that is all I have for now!

Not sure I could have ever afforded a house in the Bay Area, here I plan on owning multiple as an investor. And the cycling... when I visit the Bay I want to ride road, the MTBing in the East Bay at least isn't even worth the time after riding here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi View Post
    Oh there's places some of us know and you're hitting the target with your reply. We're talking in general terms. No way in hell I'm listing the other three choices.
    Haha - headed out in a few weeks for one of the unmentioned.

stop...safety first
    When you leave the bay your attitude towards single track changes. It Is no longer unattainable, instead it is the norm . The new norm allows you to actually enjoy a dirt road, instead of obsessing on single track. From nevada city I can ride single track all day, and I do.
    No conflicts with horses,
    Nor hikers.
    None with moto,
    Gnats on the other hand are a different story...
    Last edited by TubeSSnapper; 10-16-2016 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Bad grammar

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria

It may be the home of the sport but it now has a lot of strings attached: Seasonal Trail Closures, Bike restrictions (go blast down Mt. Tam today?), Speed limits (moving violation tickets), Land Managers who's hands are tied (SC and other non mtn bike groups), No night riding option and I'm sure I left out a few.

The PNW has the Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance that forged great long standing relationships with land managers, and land owners to afford great mtn biking in the PNW and in the Columbia Basin. This is something NorCal is missing and it reflects in all the crap NorCal bikers have to go through.

I moved out of the Bay Area in 1999 and would never move back. Even Sacramento is suffering from the same things that afflict Bay Area mtn biking except it's a single user group that rides a 1200 lb four legged trail destroying animal. I moved to Central Washington where I have a local trail system that is the best of NorCal combined plus other great trails within a two hour drive..
    Last edited by mtnbiker4life; 10-16-2016 at 07:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I'm strongly considering leaving the Bay Area and moving to Boulder or the surrounding area (Longmont, Gunbarrel, Niwot, Louisville, etc.). Cost of living, housing costs, no commuting and overall lifestyle is what I'm in search of. While Boulder is certainly not cheap, the surrounding areas are very affordable relative to our area now.

mtbr member
    Boulder... might as well move to Marin. Heh.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    11 months and I get to move back to Durango. Can't get here soon enough...

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JT79 View Post
    Boulder... might as well move to Marin. Heh.
    I heard Berkeley.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi View Post
    I know, right! There's another couple degrees you can get that are just cool. Which part of town if I can ask? Seriously, drive up to Mohawk and Park Streets. Sit at the empty field, watch the Sunset, and think about getting to see that every single day of the Summer when I was a kid.

I wonder is anyone still keeping up the little gutter jumps going down Siskiyou.

Also, why has nobody listed Black Sheep Pub for Ashland? For some the food in town's enough to stay! Is Big Town Hero still around?

edit: OUCH! BTH and one of the BikeShops closed down. :/

While I'm at it, if you need a solid shop to goto hit up Marty's in Medford. I've known Marty since the mid-90's when he worked at Al's.
    We are in Quiet Village, near Helman Elementary School.. So far I haven't found a bad shop in Ashland, but I really want to check out Unreal cycles in Central Point. Looks like they do some rad group rides, and would love to ride the areas outside Ashland (Wagner Canyon, Prescott Park, Grants Pass stuff).

beater
    I heard Berkeley.
    He's referring to the amount of legal riding, not the campus atmosphere.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    He's referring to the amount of legal riding, not the campus atmosphere.
    I heard Boulder has a bunch of legal road riding. That's about it.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Grand Junction.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Syncro View Post
    Grand Junction.
    Salida.

Just mimic-ing the one word answers.
    IPA will save America

Is dang happy!
    Back to Montana for me. Tried Seattle twice but the traffic eventually got to me, Mtn biking was hard to incorporate into a urban lifestyle and ridding buddies were few and far between. Living in Portland back when you could ride singletrack in Forest Park was great, not so sure about now. The jobs culture and outdoor opportunities were well balanced there and the lack of belligerent rednecks in the city was refreshing.

Missoula is a very livable town except for the job/housing market, something like seven brewerys there for 80'000 people and surrounded by trails that are almost all open to bikes. You can ride from town to most of the trails and live a low or no car lifestyle quite easily there. The arts and music there blows away anything north of SF too.

I have spent the last seven months back in the Flathead valley and am rediscovering the awesome trail networks around Whitefish and Kalispell. It is Trump country and many of the yocals have a vacant look in their eyes to match the ignorant bumper sticker on the smoking diesel pickup they tow their moto toys around in but much of Nor-Cal has a similar vibe and you will need a thick skin to tolerate much of the derp that gets spewed there.

Helena and Bozeman have great Mtn biking too, even Great falls out on the plains has a nice trail system along the Missouri now. Fat biking is growing the sport and now I can ride trails in the winter in addition to skiing, snowboarding and snowshoeing here.
    The thing is it is so easy to escape "civilization/traffic" here, much of the terrain is undeveloped public land and even the hillbillies have a deep appreciation for access to it...

Have to watch out for the bears now as my theory that they always skedaddle when they hear a a bike was disproved when my neighbor was eaten. YMMV
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Doom View Post
    Back to Montana for me. Tried Seattle twice but the traffic eventually got to me, Mtn biking was hard to incorporate into a urban lifestyle and ridding buddies were few and far between. Living in Portland back when you could ride singletrack in Forest Park was great, not so sure about now. The jobs culture and outdoor opportunities were well balanced there and the lack of belligerent rednecks in the city was refreshing.

Missoula is a very livable town except for the job/housing market, something like seven brewerys there for 80'000 people and surrounded by trails that are almost all open to bikes. You can ride from town to most of the trails and live a low or no car lifestyle quite easily there. The arts and music there blows away anything north of SF too.

I have spent the last seven months back in the Flathead valley and am rediscovering the awesome trail networks around Whitefish and Kalispell. It is Trump country and many of the yocals have a vacant look in their eyes to match the ignorant bumper sticker on the smoking diesel pickup they tow their moto toys around in but much of Nor-Cal has a similar vibe and you will need a thick skin to tolerate much of the derp that gets spewed there.

Helena and Bozeman have great Mtn biking too, even Great falls out on the plains has a nice trail system along the Missouri now. Fat biking is growing the sport and now I can ride trails in the winter in addition to skiing, snowboarding and snowshoeing here.
    The thing is it is so easy to escape "civilization/traffic" here, much of the terrain is undeveloped public land and even the hillbillies have a deep appreciation for access to it...

Have to watch out for the bears now as my theory that they always skedaddle when they hear a a bike was disproved when my neighbor was eaten. YMMV
    Great report. So much intel!

How bad is the winter in Montana? Seem like a candidate for dual-residence. One there, one in Moab.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    As a surfer/mtn. biker, we're pretty much hosed. Where better to be than S.C.?
    Nowhere in Ca. is as good as here for both sports. Maybe somewhere in New Zealand?
    North shore of Oahu actually has a pretty awesome trail system but you sure aren't gonna save on housing costs.
    Mrwhlr's stepmom rides a 5 spot

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by AKD View Post
    I'd seriously consider moving to Reno at this point. Decent job market, cost of living is relatively tolerable, but the mtb community is off the hook. I get a great vibe every time I ride Peavine.
    copious amounts of areas and trails with more being built...
    "ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK"

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    It is Trump country and many of the yocals have a vacant look in their eyes to match the ignorant bumper sticker on the smoking diesel pickup they tow their moto toys around in but much of Nor-Cal has a similar vibe and you will need a thick skin to tolerate much of the derp that gets spewed there.
    Seems to be a problem in many rural areas. Can be avoided by choosing places that were settled by hippies going "back to the land". In northern California, that would be the Santa Cruz mountains and Mendocino county mostly. Some went to Oregon.

Your neighbor got eaten by a bear while riding?! Yikes!

They got grizzlies up there, don't they?

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    SMH. I got three words to add to this thread right now that everyone will say none of us saw coming 17 years ago.

"Redwood City Gentrification".

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by EndurBro View Post
    As a surfer/mtn. biker, we're pretty much hosed. Where better to be than S.C.?
    Nowhere in Ca. is as good as here for both sports. Maybe somewhere in New Zealand?
    North shore of Oahu actually has a pretty awesome trail system but you sure aren't gonna save on housing costs.
    I've actually heard some good things about South Carolina, didn't realize it was the promised land, though

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Think he meant Santa Cruz.
    Though it looked like South Carolina had some surf recently
    (when they got hit by that hurricane)

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

I spent a summer van'n it in Polebridge in the early 2000's which 13 or so years later seems to be one of the most memorable times of my life. That is some dramatic country to say the least. I went back through the area last summer (Kalispel, Missoula, Bozeman, Whitefish etc) with an eye of possibly moving there. For lack of a better word I was dumbfounded by how much the area has been built up in the last 10 years. Infact, of all my travelings around the continent that area has grown more/faster than any other area I'm aware of no contest. While the traffic lights, big box stores, and endless sea of condo's may be trivial to the Bay area, none of it even existed last time I went through there. With that said I have a good friend that grew up in Helena and now lives in Lakeside who can actually make a good living so there's that.
    Last edited by WHALENARD; 10-17-2016 at 03:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by acudoc View Post
    Moved to Redding in 07 and have not looked back. I live on 3.5 acres near Whiskeytown lake. Lots of killer singletrack out my back door and more trails being made(Redding Trail Alliance). I can bike from my house into town 5+ miles on a paved trail(check out sacramento river trail). Surrounded by the Trinity Alps(epic backpacking) to the west, Mt. Shasta(skiing) 1 hour to the north, and Mt Lassen to the east. Some of the best fly fishing in the world year round. No traffic...cheaper housing....a few new breweries(Wildcard's Tied house on Pine St.)....the very cool Cascade theater(1935 art deco) has good venues regularly. Great mexican at Reconcitos etc. It can get hot in the summer but not for to long. Big box stores if you need them. 2 hospitals(good for jobs). Administrative hub for Shasta county(jobs). Huge potential for growth(there is a group trying to get a UC school here). Somewhat conservative but it's slowly changing. People are nice. Great place to raise kids. Good schools, e.g. there is a public Montessori school down the street. Reminds me of Bend without the money and hype. Oh did I mention the lake? Never going back to the city. If I ever move again in will be north to BC. Hope I don't regret letting the cat out of the bag. Good luck!
    I am extremely interested in the Redding area up to and beyond Weaverville on the 299. The limited riding I have done there has been exceptional. The heat and the rednecks scare me a bit, but that is probably just the bay area that has made me soft.

How bad is the weed growing issue in Trinity Co. and down to Redding?

President of the Internet

- Accessibility/Quality of biking: Ride out my door, to either west or east side of Mt. Ashland. .5 miles from skate park for shuttle pickup if I'm feeling lazy, 3/4 mile to downtown (standing stone brewery!)
    -Outdoor/other nature activities Have barely scratched the surface on this one. Applegate lake, rogue river, hyatt lake, lake of the woods, shasta within an hour, crescent city 2 hours, Umpqua river, etc. Not to mention live 40 minutes from Mt Ashland ski resort.
    -Other sports availableHiking, trail running, kayaking, backpacking, camping. All the usual suspects
    -Warmer in the summer, colder in the winter. Snows a handful of times a year but normally melts off in a day or 2. Yet within a 25 min drive to go play in the snow with siskyou summit right there. The endless water ways and forested canyons are a way to escape the heat
    - Beauty of the area Google image "ashland oregon" and see for yourself!
    - Jobs cost of living Biggest downside. Jobs can be scarce unless you are in the healthcare field, which luckily my wife and I are. Cost of living is very high compared to rest of Southern Oregon, but you can go 10 min north to Talent or Phoenix and get a steal of a house. Coming from Marin, prices are rock bottom.
    -People, culture, education Definitly an interesting culture. College brings young students and professors. Schools are some of the best in Oregon. Some drifter/hippie types runnign around downtown, but cops keep a good handle on them. If you are from Marin, its a mix of Fairfax and San Rafael, without the latino population. Basically a lot of Funk mixed with upscale mixed with family. I haven't found it to be racially intolerant, but definitly not as diverse as SR or Novato.
    -Traffic/airports Traffic? What traffic? Medford has an airport with commercial flights similar to Santa Rosa airport.
    -Food Lots of it. Ashland Coop is a killer grocery store with great organic and local food if thats your thing (big draw for me). Plenty of dives around the college and downtown hole-inthe wall spots. Caldera brew co and standing stone are the local breweries. Growler guys looks like a cool spot though have yet to get in there. Though I'm not sure there is a good, authentic taqueria.
    - Growing economy or collapsing Ashland home values keep going up up up, and rogue valley seems to be growing. Although it is somewhat isolated, so I know job situation can be tight. Would have to do more research on this one.
    -Kid stuff Biggest draw for me. I have a 4 and 3 year old, and am so pumped they are gonna grow up here. Schools are top notch, parks everywhere, bike path runs through town (10 min ride to the hands on science museum; think exploratorium in SF but smaller and cheaper), water slide park and other water parks for summer, and everything the outdoors has to offer. Within 10 minutes of us bringing our kids to the neighborhood for the first time, we counted 8 kids, and our kids made instant friends. It definitly has the old school community vibe. You actually see kids on bikes and outside on weekends. oh, and LITHIA PARK! World class park above town along the watershed.

Anyways, we chose to leave Marin for a variety of reasons. I thought I may regret it but so far am so pumped and ready for something new, no traffic, no more MCL and footpeople and rangers looking to give tickets. Just good clean living!
    Plus, there is the Perfect Cycling Trail that is absolutely empty 11 months of the year that runs through some epic, lonely country.
    Sometimes you eat the trail, sometimes the trail eats you.

Thinking of buying a home?
    http://Search-Sacramento-Homes.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Reno has been mentioned already but I'll bring it up again. Tahoe and Downieville are only 45-1:30 depending on where you're going. I can ride Peavine from my door - 2 miles of pavement gets me 20-30 miles of dirt very easily. In the winter there's plenty of skiing or there is Auburn and Nevada City. Tons of other outdoor opportunities.
    There is no state income tax. Cost of living is OK depending on your job.
    Traffic? That's funny. For those weekend trips back to the Bay, you're against the Tahoe tourist traffic.
    We have an airport in town with Southwest, Jetblue, United, American, Alaskan etc..
    Weather is mild and what snow we get melts off quickly, although it can be windy.
    There are a ton of breweries and descent dining options.
    Our schools are in the tank - if you have kids, don't put them in a Nevada school. University Nevada Reno is OK - on par with a California State University.
    Yes, we have casinos and strip clubs if you're into that sort of thing. If you're not, stay out of them and you'll forget they're even here.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Ohmygato, sent you an email.

There are no outdoor grows allowed in redding and shasta county as far as I know. They may have banned indoor grows as well. It has gotten better. Trinity county is another story.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by acudoc View Post
    There are no outdoor grows allowed in redding and shasta county as far as I know. They may have banned indoor grows as well. It has gotten better. Trinity county is another story.
    Redding got meth instead.

Safety Consultant
    What about Arcata? Tell me about living in Arcata. Some friends just bought a house up there and it looks really nice on paper. Not just the biking, which I assume is awesome, but bonuses and pitfalls of local life.
    I'm here to kick ass and drink beer. Looks like we're all out of beer. -- Gandhi

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Just mimic-ing the one word answers.
    you mean two words?

Ok...

Grand Junction has cheap housing and cost of living. Good riding in town, epic Fruita 20-30 minutes away, world class 1-1.5h in Moab, summertime riding in the Colorado mtns (see Crested Butte and Durango). I-80 bikeparks.

Climbing nearby, a national monument nearby, Colorado, Gunnison, & Dolores River for boating

5000ft so not too cold, not scorching either.

Economy is not so good, so you won't see tech bros show up there anytime soon. But that also means there are opportunities for entrepreneurs.

schools i have no idea...

so basically the priorities in life, lol

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Syncro View Post
    you mean two words?

Ok...

Grand Junction has cheap housing and cost of living. Good riding in town, epic Fruita 20-30 minutes away, world class 1-1.5h in Moab, summertime riding in the Colorado mtns (see Crested Butte and Durango). I-80 bikeparks.

Climbing nearby, a national monument nearby, Colorado, Gunnison, & Dolores River for boating

5000ft so not to cold, not scorching either.

Economy is not so good, so you won't see tech bros show up there anytime soon. But that also means there are opportunities for entrepreneurs.

schools i have no idea...
    Fine job.

And folks, don't be shy to repeat a city and add your take to it. More opinions on one place is key.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    What would be really handy is... What are the DOWNSIDES? What has been the hardest to stomach.

Honesty is best.
    I love this. You're clearly biased and it seems more like you are trying to justify to yourself why you are in the bay area and not on where you would actually like to live. Wake up!

P.S. Why do people like Bend? That's about the worst f-ing place I've ever been. One of the fakest, least genuine places I've ever been. Probably used to be a rad spot before every yuppie from the Bay decided it was "cool".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JefedelosJefes View Post
    I love this. You're clearly biased and it seems more like you are trying to justify to yourself why you are in the bay area and not on where you would actually like to live. Wake up!
    Sounds to me like you're projecting. Asking for both pros and cons is pretty logical.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    P.S. Why do people like Bend? That's about the worst f-ing place I've ever been. One of the fakest, least genuine places I've ever been. Probably used to be a rad spot before every yuppie from the Bay decided it was "cool".
    I would tend to agree with that sentiment though I know & love plenty of good people there. What I don't get is all the hype on the town or even more so on the riding. The riding there is good for about 3 weeks & the town
    BLOOOOOOOWWWWWSSS!! Bend is barely on the radar as a destination for anybody I ride with here in Oregon for the last 10 years or more. Bring your freshly starched Arc'teryx business suit and your 350 diesel that's never seen a dirt road or a day of work. Jeeze that place sucks.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    The bitterness is strong today!

Easy cure: Hero dirt! #lifeisgood #weekendattahoe
    Friends don't let friends ride e-"bikes" on dirt.

Nature is not a sidewalk (I'm looking at you, MidPen).

fc
    stoked Administrator

DA HECK?

You are one angry person (hopefully just today). For every place, I want to hear what's good about a place and what's bad. Who it's for and not.
    IPA will save America

Paper or plastic?
    Great plus of the Bay Area is the pool of jobs available. Sucky part of living in more rural places is that it's a lot harder to find a new job if you need to. Telecommuting is still pretty limited.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtb'er
    We entertained the idea of leaving El Dorado Hills for no other reason than a change of scenery, and we did some research and exploring last year. Some goals were less suburbia, a little more rural but not too far from conveniences, good trail network that can be ridden from the house, and not live in snow all winter. Near a lake or river or pond would be good too.

Groveland: too remote and the trail infrastructure just isn't there yet
    Twain Harte: still too remote and small and Sonora wasn't appealing even though it is closer to Pinecrest
    Nevada City: Loved it, met most criteria, just couldn't find the right place for our budget
    Redding: Super appealing to me but couldn't the girl past the heat. I think Redding (the area) will be Bay Area-ized soon enough
    Grand Junction, CO was on the list but we didn't make it out there for a visit. I hope I don't regret it
    Boise: Fit lots of criteria and closer to the girl's folks, but never got around to looking seriously.
    Ashland: Spent a week there several years ago and liked it but didn't fall in love with it (didn't ride much when there though)
    Mendo: Compelling but not in the cards

Ended up moving a mile from our old house when the "right" property suddenly popped up and we got it. Now I just plan on making EDH trails great again. :-)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast