Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I realize this isn't the subject of this thread, per se, but this reminded me of the Dodge Ram commercial that aired during the Superbowl. The one with snippets of MLK's speech AGAINST materialism. Just terrible that they'd use his words in an ad for $40-60k...pickup trucks.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Unfortunately we've organized ourselves to idealize increasing levels of production and consumption.
    The only easy day was yesterday.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Unfortunately we've organized ourselves to idealize increasing levels of production and consumption.
    As a side effect we got increased life span and health, freedom to travel, unprecedented access to knowledge anytime and anywhere, etc. etc.
    Is production and consumption really so bad?

fc
    stoked Administrator
    i like the jeep ad. Very succinct.
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    As a side effect we got increased life span and health, freedom to travel, unprecedented access to knowledge anytime and anywhere, etc. etc.
    Believe me, I'm a card carrying MBA toting capitalist. But, the question is: when is enough, enough? And are cheap plastic goods really improving our lives at this point in our evolution. The issue with the current return on capital model, especially as it relates to public markets, is it's never enough. The dangerous side effects are global warming, pollution, and destruction to the planet that may prove to be catastrophic. The current system of free market capitalism has been a successful experiment but is coming to an end, things change and now we have to modify it. Will be interesting to see how things evolve.

fc
    stoked Administrator

This is very interesting in the context of lifespan...

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/06/healt...ana/index.html

In the US, it seems we are spending trillions of dollars trying to make folks live longer. That is good. But perhaps there are other ways as well.
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    This is very interesting in the context of lifespan...

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/06/healt...ana/index.html

In the US, it seems we are spending trillions of dollars trying to make folks live longer. That is good. But perhaps there are other ways as well.
    There's a Blue Zone here in the US too. Interesting what they attribute it to.

https://bluezones.com/exploration/lo...da-california/

1. Strong social ties.
    2. A little physical labor.
    3. Mainly vegetarian diet.

fc
    stoked Administrator

1. Strong social ties.
    Thank you!!

I see the tie in with mountain biking for sure. Even a little beer is good as long as it is in a very social setting.

I see the wisdom of bocce ball now. It seems the folks that play that in Italy are average age of 90 yrs old.
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    Thank you!!

I see the tie in with mountain biking for sure. Even a little beer is good as long as it is in a very social setting.

I see the wisdom of bocce ball now. It seems the folks that play that in Italy are average age of 90 yrs old.
    I think what you're doing with group rides and a community of mountain bikers is going a long, long way in benefiting people!

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by fitek View Post
    I was on Caltrain a couple Fridays ago and there were two guys drinking and talking about how to build a great engineering group at a startup. It started like a buzzword compilation, but as we neared 4th and King, the ratio of slurred expletives and affirmations to startup buzzwords approached 1:1... I couldn't make sense of it anymore, except that one guy was really upset. I shoulda recorded it...
    Yet another thing that drives me nuts about the bay area. Everyone with a whole 3 years of experience in having a real career thinks they know how to run a functional company. Most startups I see end up being mis-managed to the point where they become zombies corporations that are completely useless and should be looted and shiv'd.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    It's not bad when the FULL COSTS to our HEALTH, TIME, and ENVIRONMENT are fully accounted for - but it's not.

TIME is now a more interesting one with the rise of social media and addictive behaviors associated with it. FREE is not free when you account the above.

Now it's time for me to get off the forum.

Axe
    Custom User Title

1. Strong social ties.

That's some minor optimizations.

One has to be some serious negative nancy not to admit that we are objectively better off in modern "consumerist" society that we had been in primitive ones.

I prefer not to die from trivial infections and be able to have access to the entirety of accumulated knowledge and art from a small device in my pocket, as well as being able to travel vast distances in comfort previously reserved to kings and tyrants for a price of few hours of my labor.
    Growing chaos of social media is a trivial price to pay for those benefit.

And back to the topic of this thread - I hope that will also enable me to be less tied to my work and my place to live. Though I quite like it around here for now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Rainfall map of King County. Impressive differences as you head east and get near mountains!

https://your.kingcounty.gov/dnrp/lib...tation-map.pdf

Liquefaction when the big one comes. Issaquah is hosed.
    http://your.kingcounty.gov/dnrp/libr...hazard-map.pdf

There was another map of flooding if Ranier's glacier melts due to volcanic activity, but I think I might be digging too deep...

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    SF isn't exactly a bundle of joy in that way either.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...299999999&z=13

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by alxrmrs View Post
    SF isn't exactly a bundle of joy in that way either.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...299999999&z=13
    Peninsula, South Bay and near East Bay map:
    https://planning.smcgov.org/sites/pl...e_Liq_Shak.pdf

I live in the low risk zone, just barely. Just a reminder to SFBA residents leaving that earthquake risk needs to be considered to some degree in the NW as well.

There is also some risk of volcanic mudflows in specific areas. Renton isn't shown on this map, but it could be affected. The Cascades volcanos have been mostly silent the past century, doesn't mean it will always be that way.
    https://www.usgs.gov/media/images/mt...har-hazard-map

fc
    stoked Administrator
    NOT leaving Las Vegas

Want to leave Bay Area. Where to go?-screen-shot-2018-02-16-9.05.29-am.jpg

"Rent a moving truck from Las Vegas to San Jose and you'll pay about $100. In the opposite direction, the same truck will cost you 16 times that, or nearly $2,000."

SF Gate today https://www.sfgate.com/
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    NOT leaving Las Vegas

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 9.05.29 AM.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	1183272

"Rent a moving truck from Las Vegas to San Jose and you'll pay about $100. In the opposite direction, the same truck will cost you 16 times that, or nearly $2,000."

SF Gate today https://www.sfgate.com/
    Hmm, seems like a good opportunity for an enterprising individual to rent a truck in Vegas and offer it in San Jose for $1500!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I'm back from Seattle.

First, SEATAC is big and unfortunately ALL the rental cars are offsite. And oversize luggage, like my skis, can't be dropped off with your regular luggage. Makes me miss the automated ski racks in Denver airport. It's been probably a hundred or so flights since I missed a plane, but SEATAC did me in on the return.

Seattle is the most similar to SF among the cities in my comparison (Denver, PDX, and SEA... and the Gorge, sort of). From the hill tops, itís gorgeous green blue and grey. Out across the water are the snow capped Olympic mountains. Stunning. The bridges, ferries, and islands remind me a bit of Istanbul. Heroin needles on the sidewalk, itís just like home!

Besides downtown and Ballard, we also visited Kirkland, which btw is not just a Costco house brand, Bellevue, Renton, Issaquah, and Sammamish. Kirkland downtown was fun. There's a indoor miniature golf bar, though I couldn't go in because I have a 4 year old. Hmm, such a place in PDX would find a way to make it work. Of the locations visited, only Renton is affordable, but at least where we were, it was either dumpy or uninteresting. Bellevue might as well be the SF peninsula. I'd take a job there, but wouldn't want to live there. Issaquah, at least the old part, seems just right for us, but Issaquah and Sammamish are developing massively with identical, closely spaced condos and ticky tacky boxy track homes. I havenít seen anything like it since the mid 2000s in San Diego County, when, fueled by stupid easy money, huge developments were cut and pasted and sold at exorbitant prices throughout the desert. You may know what Iím talking about; big boxy 4 and 5 bedroom homes with paved yards the size of a closet, the monotony broken only by Panera Breads or Starbucks. Now imagine the same thing, but in the woods. It seems an affront to such a beautiful landscape.

If you jump on 90 east, you can escape the sprawl, at least for another decade or two ó Preston, North Bend, and Snoqualmie arenít really that much further out, yet remain serene.

Now I need to mention Duthie. Duthie is a mountain bike park, not a bike park. I have visited many bikes parks, but no mountain bike parks. I rode Valmont and Ruby Hill on my BMX. You could ride Duthie on a DJ with the right tires, but the mid travel Evil I rented was the right choice (and Evil is based just down the road). Imagine dense trees, lots of mud and tree roots, man made wooden features, and terrain crammed full of berms and trails often separated by mere feet. Many ride down, walk up trails. The dense trees make it gloomy, but also keep out the weather, which means you can ride in a downpour. And I did. Iíve never come away from a ride so absolutely filthy. Unlike Oregon, the mud wasn't peanut butter, it was thin and watery with lots of pine needles. I had meant to ride another trail system the 2nd day, but my legs were spent and it was very windy, so I just rode Duthie again more slowly. The wind storm had me dodging fallen trees and derailleur eating branches. By then I was doing drops and jumps bigger than Iíd ever attempted. You can get good, very fast in a place like this. The drop trail, which filled me with terror on our first encounter on Friday, seemed like kid stuff as I rode out on Saturday. When was the last time 24 hours so wisened me? Last I can remember is watching a couple pacing the maternity ward, waiting for the contractions to quicken, only hours after my son was born, and thinking, "noobs!" Truly, itís a big confidence boost when the features just keep coming back to back, bigger and bigger, and you have faith in the builders. Duthie ainít no illegal SF bay area dig where you pedal a bunch between the fun bits and then either stop and double check each feature's design and integrity or pray and hope it works out. I didnít have to dodge any broken bottles, either. Duthie, more than anything else, impressed on me that SFBA riding is a tragedy: pedaling your carbon bikes up fire roads and descending rutted fall line garbage is a crime, like a Ferrari out on a gravel road. And we shrug our shoulders that mumble itís the best we can do.
    How the Seattle area became a must-ride MTB locale - Mtbr.com
    Not totally sucking on Voodoo Child: https://youtu.be/kAqMst4RQmE

Note, in another subforum, I was told to skip Seattle and ride Galbraith in Bellingham. That it's much better and less crowded. But I discussed it with the wife. I wanted to go. She didn't. We compromised and didn't go. We visited B-ham in 2010 before I'd been on anything but an XC bike. It was cool and a photo of Boundary Bay Brewing hangs in our 2nd bedroom, but I'd never get a city girl like my wife to live there.

I skiied the Summit at Snoqualmie and Alpental. Summit is very wide but very short, somewhat like Kirkwood. It was crowded with beginners on Presidentís day (including the one I sired). The snow was fresh but very heavy so tree skiing was like doing squats with a refrigerator on your back. Around 1pm I could no longer take the crowds or my son's whining and escaped to Alpental. Alpental is two lifts to the summit with no easy way down. My kind of place. Itís 10 degrees colder and exposed to the wind, frightening away the half hearted. With 1000 or 2000 feet of elevation over the Summit, the snow was much better... Really, just perfect on the top half. Homewood on a good day, I thought, if the only ways down were black diamond moguls or double black rocks and trees.

Weather. SEA was noticeably colder, but not as cold as Colorado. I wore boots, corduroy pants (which are warmer than jeans), a t-shirt and my ski jacket the whole trip. No sweater or hat, except at the top of Alpental. Mind you, I have shoulder length hair, which is like a hat that doesnít easily come off. The rain came and went and was mostly drizzle. We got one super windy day, and one clear day. Our last day was the coldest of the year. For forecasts, do yourself a favor and use darksky, which shows you when itíll actually rain during the day. If you look at a weather.com or something, you see a 10 day forecast thatís all rain. In general, I am told, the weather is not all that much different from Portland except that Seattle has Puget Sound to temper the weather extremes. It snowed twice, but didnít stick. The King County precipitation map I shared earlier is an oversimplification; I was told the north gets more constant drizzle, whereas the south gets more sporadic downpours. Driving around, I couldn't really tell the difference except by the amount of moss on the trees.

Size. I was able to drive from Duthie to University of Washington, north of downtown, in 35 minutes on Monday night (a holiday). Regardless of how much worse traffic has gotten in the past decade, you simply couldnít get between Santa Cruz and SF in even half that time. It was 50 minutes from Bellevue to skiing. The destinations are just closer together than in the SFBA.

Affordability. If you want cheap housing, it appears you must head south of SeaTac or north somewhere like Lynnwood or Bothell and then likely face awful commutes. Friday and Tuesday morning I checked the local news. North-south routes and bridges are the most popular places for Seattleites to idle their cars.

Driving. I didn't encounter much aggression on the road and people drove reasonably fast, in contrast to Portland where just enough folks are in no hurry at all, cause a jam at most hours, and Denver, where I'd be truckin' 75 and, instead of a BMW 3 series, there'd be a Subaru weaving 3 feet behind my rear bumper.

People. I had generally good interactions. I didn't let anyone on the chair lift at Snoqualmie go without an attempt at conversation, and all but two were friendly. It wasn't quite like Portland, where I've had hour long conversations with strangers (other than one rider at Duthie, who was visiting from Yakima), or the Gorge, where you might get invited to someone's house after five minutes. My wife, on the other hand, had some down right weird passive aggressive situations and was the recipient of the only parenting lecture on the trip.

Well, thatís it, all three cities visited. My overall reactions? For those on the thread looking to escape congestion, be close to mountain biking, and live more affordablyÖ I think you could perhaps make your way in parts of any of these cities. Each of them come with their own tradeoffs.

If your means are modest, these major cities have all become too expensive to take your money and blindly run. If you are just barely treading water financially, by all means, go now before it gets even worse.

If youíre a tech worker with bags of money, go right ahead and jump into Bellevue.

As a not-so-professional professional, Seattle seems like the easiest transition. I could skip out from work early to get in some laps at Duthie or night ski. As of 2018, though, Seattle is too expensive for me to pack my bags tomorrow, but I can imagine scenarios, such as taking in an aging parent and needing a 4 bedroom, which would be impossible in the SFBA yet still within reason there.

But right now, there aren't big bills, dwindling bank accounts, a killer commute, insufferable boss, or terrible school to force my hand-- only the fear that in 10 or 15 years my knees will be too beat up to enjoy the Valmonts and Duthies, or that easy money will make these cities even more unaffordable. But fear does not drive good decision making. Act out of love. Be patient.

Now the sound of patio furniture sliding around outside and the gate swinging open and shut tells me wind surfing season has arrived early in San Mateo, so for now my griping and traveling comes to a close. Time to chase the wind.

Good luck.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678