Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    fc
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow View Post
    Hey Francis, interestingly enough our metro Denver winter weather is pretty close to your San Jose weather. At least for the next 10 days and just a wee bit colder at night.

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USCO0105:1:US

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USCA0993:1:US
    That's pretty amazing. You guys want the 49ers? Cheap.
    IPA will save America

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    We NEED to hear from these OTHER towns now. Bend, Portland, Truckee, Denver, East Coast.

How is it really in the winter?
    Winter is a non-constant from October to May here in the Denver metro. This week and next is 50-60s with no snow. Last week we barely broke 30.

February is historically the coldest month. March is the snowiest. So far, we will see. I last rode beginning of February before I went off to San Diego for a few days. Came back to nice weather here.

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    Which shows how effed up other US urban areas are; and prolly why that goofball got elected president.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    departed in late 79 only to return to collect my belongings and been in Nv ever since. Once maybe twice a year i visit for 2 days but thats all i can take of the all me me crowd.
    Yea, seriously. The weather is great, the trails are okay, and the jobs pay well, but that's pretty much it. I could see a top 10 rating if the median house price was like $400k and there were only 200,000 people living there.

I have a feeling that the people who create these lists have never actually lived in any of the cities they're rating. I lived there for 30 years and always wonder why it took me so long to get out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Those rankings are idiotic without some meaningful quantifiable metrics and useless if those metrics don't include what's important to you.

There's a top 20 places to live for mountain bikers list out there, but it doesn't get into specifics of the type of riding (eg I don't count XC trails personally) and whether you'd like it to be right in your backyard or its OK to drive an hour to it. And since its focused on MTB it doesn't account for anything else you might be doing with your life.

Dirty by Nature
    Jun 2010
    It's U.S. News and World Report, so I think their metrics are legit.

However, these kinds of lists are always a bit subjective, meant to attract attention/slash magazines, and--of course--your mileage will vary (haters gonna hate).
    Last edited by dirtvert; 02-09-2017 at 03:24 PM.
    Friends don't let friends ride e-"bikes" on dirt.

Nature is not a sidewalk.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by fitek View Post
    Those rankings are idiotic without some meaningful quantifiable metrics and useless if those metrics don't include what's important to you.

There's a top 20 places to live for mountain bikers list out there, but it doesn't get into specifics of the type of riding (eg I don't count XC trails personally) and whether you'd like it to be right in your backyard or its OK to drive an hour to it. And since its focused on MTB it doesn't account for anything else you might be doing with your life.
    All lists are imperfect. But hey, they are data points that are meaningful to the general public, specially if they are from viable sources.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    All of these "best place to live" lists start with the assumption that the best place to live is a city.

Dirty by Nature
    Jun 2010
    ^^ I'm with you (even with the spam)! We rode UC last weekend and it was post-apocalyptic. Exquisite!

Andy- It was a rating for urban areas. There's no shortage of "best small town" lists. Outside Magazine does a good one every year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Andy- It was a rating for urban areas.
    The headlines in the Murkey News and in USNWR say "Best Places to Live".
    In the following text they say "metro areas" but in fact they focus almost entirely on the cities.

There's no shortage of "best small town" lists. Outside Magazine does a good one every year.
    Of course, the best small towns are small enough to escape their notice.

mtbr member
    I'm thinking Oroville.
    The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine. ~ John Howard

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by heythorp View Post
    I should add some other north east info. You might be surprised by how many places there are to ride. It's completely different riding from here. It will be tree covered roots and rocks galore. It's a much more challenging place to ride. You will get super fit here but there you will become a better rider.
    I've lived and ridden all over the country.

No place has done more for my technical ability than VA/NC. No offense to OR, UT, CA, or my second home in the Front Range, but those are all amateur hour compared to the slime and moss covered rocks and roots of the southern Appalachians.

Here's a classic descent near me:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOVixqsj-2A/
    Death from Below.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    I'm thinking Oroville.
    Some deals to be had perhaps?

Let me tell you man, there's gonna be some motivated sellers up in the Santa Cruz mountains soon.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member

Let me tell you man, there's gonna be some motivated sellers up in the Santa Cruz mountains soon.
    Slip-slidin away?
    The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine. ~ John Howard

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    First the wells were drying up, now the dirt mountains have turned to pudding.

mtbr member
    At the rate it's going, Idaho will be ocean front soon!

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtJunky View Post
    First the wells were drying up, now the dirt mountains have turned to pudding.
    Too much too soon.

The trees are half-dead and the land is bone dry, then the wind and the deluge comes. I think the land is in shock.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Very likely. Come on up. Anything that doesn't slide this winter isn't gonna, ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    Slip-slidin away?
    Will Cuesta La Honda become Cuesta San Gregorio?

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I've lived and ridden all over the country.

No place has done more for my technical ability than VA/NC. No offense to OR, UT, CA, or my second home in the Front Range, but those are all amateur hour compared to the slime and moss covered rocks and roots of the southern Appalachians.

Here's a classic descent near me:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOVixqsj-2A/
    Completely agree. I learned to ride in NC. Nothing like riding over slick roots to learn how to control yer bike. Trial by slick roots.

mtbr member

What are those big square like chunks?

Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post
    Completely agree. I learned to ride in NC. Nothing like riding over slick roots to learn how to control yer bike. Trial by slick roots.
    My God! What are those big square like chunks? Rocks? I've heard about such things, but these are beyond mythic on the Mendocino coast! In my older age, I believe I will stay here and play on trails that are not accustom to such exposure to whatever it was you were bouncing off of.

We are gnarless, we are basically wimps and love it! How long do your bikes last, two runs, if one doesn't crash in it? Wheel truing must be an art form? Are there any older riders still alive there? Did you use a steady cam for the GoPro? My curiosity is just blown away by this sort of craziness. But, I am actually amazed you ride this stuff. The BC gnar can not even hold a candle to your abuse! I bet you guys have no fillings either? Or maybe no teeth too? That sh*t would make the Red Bull Rampage pale in comparison. I hope you're getting a huge sponsorship to run that section more than once!

Regardless, kudos to you guys for the ballsiness and the fun video!

Here is one of our trails (not a rock to be seen):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1122150[/ATTACH

...or what's left of it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Want to leave Bay Area. Where to go?-img_0320.jpg  

always licking the glass

Want to leave Bay Area. Where to go?

Quote Originally Posted by RooHarris View Post
    My God! What are those big square like chunks? Rocks? I've heard about such things, but these are beyond mythic on the Mendocino coast! In my older age, I believe I will stay here and play on trails that are not accustom to such exposure to whatever it was you were bouncing off of.

We are gnarless, we are basically wimps and love it! How long do your bikes last, two runs, if one doesn't crash in it? Wheel truing must be an art form? Are there any older riders still alive there? Did you use a steady cam for the GoPro? My curiosity is just blown away by this sort of craziness. But, I am actually amazed you ride this stuff. The BC gnar can not even hold a candle to your abuse! I bet you guys have no fillings either? Or maybe no teeth too? That sh*t would make the Red Bull Rampage pale in comparison. I hope you're getting a huge sponsorship to run that section more than once!

Regardless, kudos to you guys for the ballsiness and the fun video!

Here is one of our trails (not a rock to be seen):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1122150[/ATTACH

...or what's left of it!
    Ha! Not what I ride now because I get beat up so easily in my old age. I learned to ride in NC 20 years ago now. I'm slow so I either need things relatively smooth or not the square edges just feel like I'm running into a wall.

But if it's something I'm comfortable going fast on, I like to fly these days. I'm finally the bike parks, both indoor and out, are just so much more fun for me these days.

One of the advantages of being in Colorado is there are at least 5-6 outdoor ones, most of them rideable most of the year, and an indoor one if you like feeling like you're riding on glass

Most of the time I'm sessioning at Valmont. I feel like a kid in a candy store being able to session so many jumps and berms and pump tracks so close to my house.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Let me tell you about my utterly shitty location.... So I've lived in pretty nice places before, San Luis Obispo for five years and Pleasanton for another five or so. Those places were rad, especially SLO. Talk about a great riding location SLO is. I had 10 different trails to ride from my front door and I didn't even own a vehicle. Pleasanton has a sweet hillside in town with some awesome illegal single track accessible by bicycle from front door anywhere in town.
    However, last summer I moved back to Tracy, CA near Stockton/Manteca. This place SUCKS. The closest riding is Pleasanton but with extreme, I mean extreme, traffic on 580 it takes me an hour or so to get to the trails that are only 25 miles away. There seriously ain't shit to do out here. There seriously might only be 5 other mtbers in the entire town and I don't know any of them. I'm guesstimating here. The quality of people out here just sucks. The city seriously has nothing for its youth. In fact, on week nights, the U21 teens go hangout at the local bar to play pool and shoot the shit, since they don't ID on those days. No sense of community AT ALL. Total commuter town. My fun is moseying down to the local B-dubs to drink my sorrows away at night. I want/need to get out of here so bad but it is financially I feasible right now. Hopefully within a year or two ill end up in the Reno area to be truly happy like I was the past five years living in SLO.
    In summary, don't ever live or raise a family in the Tracy/ Stockton Metro area. Nothing like Sacramento at all. Only perks is I can drive hour and half each direction (without traffic) to get to sierras, hillsides, coast, big city. End rant. Sorry for my sob story. Thought I'd cent on here.

Dirty by Nature
    Jun 2010
    Dude. Thanks for reminding us how lucky we are. Keep your eyes on the carrot!

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by o2a6k View Post
    Let me tell you about my utterly shitty location.... So I've lived in pretty nice places before, San Luis Obispo for five years and Pleasanton for another five or so. Those places were rad, especially SLO. Talk about a great riding location SLO is. I had 10 different trails to ride from my front door and I didn't even own a vehicle. Pleasanton has a sweet hillside in town with some awesome illegal single track accessible by bicycle from front door anywhere in town.
    However, last summer I moved back to Tracy, CA near Stockton/Manteca. This place SUCKS. The closest riding is Pleasanton but with extreme, I mean extreme, traffic on 580 it takes me an hour or so to get to the trails that are only 25 miles away. There seriously ain't shit to do out here. There seriously might only be 5 other mtbers in the entire town and I don't know any of them. I'm guesstimating here. The quality of people out here just sucks. The city seriously has nothing for its youth. In fact, on week nights, the U21 teens go hangout at the local bar to play pool and shoot the shit, since they don't ID on those days. No sense of community AT ALL. Total commuter town. My fun is moseying down to the local B-dubs to drink my sorrows away at night. I want/need to get out of here so bad but it is financially I feasible right now. Hopefully within a year or two ill end up in the Reno area to be truly happy like I was the past five years living in SLO.
    In summary, don't ever live or raise a family in the Tracy/ Stockton Metro area. Nothing like Sacramento at all. Only perks is I can drive hour and half each direction (without traffic) to get to sierras, hillsides, coast, big city. End rant. Sorry for my sob story. Thought I'd cent on here.
    The quality of people there...

There's a lot to be said about that and a lot of us really haven't focused on it.
    IPA will save America

always licking the glass

Want to leave Bay Area. Where to go?

The quality of people there...

There's a lot to be said about that and a lot of us really haven't focused on it.
    I won't comment on that but I can say culture (for now, until it gets completely priced out) is easier to find than the Denver/Boulder area. It's not that it doesn't exist--you have to try harder to find it and make things work for you.

For me, it was much easier to get to a myriad of Japanese grocery stores in the South Bay. Where here, I have to schedule time to go downtown to hit Pacific Merchantile.

Silence! I kill you!
    Don't remember if I posted here or not. 2014 I moved from SJ to Utah. Best choice I/my family made. Lots of jobs in the Lehi/Draper area. I moved to a small town called Springville just south of Provo. I've got a few local trails 3 blocks from my house. I'm paying $50 more in rent for a 4br house in a decent/nice neighborhood than than I was for a 1br apartment in San Jose. My commute is 25mi to work, and I don't worry about traffic. OK, that's a half truth. I start work at 3:30am. But during the normal commute hour it's usually not that bad.

I've got miles of xc singletrack 15 mins away, a more dh/all mountain type riding 25 mins away, which includes a small park for practicing North Shore style riding. 30 away I've got some great xc climbing trails, a downhill flow trail, and enough loops to get a good 12-15 miles in of riding in a couple hours. I haven't made it to SLC yet to go riding but I've heard it's great up there.

An hour away I can go to the Park City resorts, and Moab is 3 hours away.

Snow does kill riding, but that depends on how much there is. I see lots of guys on fat bikes riding in the winter. This month I've gotten in 3 road rides, plus one in Jan. I probably could have gotten a MTB ride in a couple times as well, as the local trails would have been dry.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    How many of the folks who have escaped have professional office jobs?

I started leaving work a little bit earlier and biking w/ a trailer to pickup my son. It's faster than driving! And way less frustrating! That's been a lot of fun. Don't even really have to dress up as it hasn't been that cold. I've skipped the rainy days (although I have rain gear for biking dont feel like it). The upside of density...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fitek View Post
    How many of the folks who have escaped have professional office jobs?

I started leaving work a little bit earlier and biking w/ a trailer to pickup my son. It's faster than driving! And way less frustrating! That's been a lot of fun. Don't even really have to dress up as it hasn't been that cold. I've skipped the rainy days (although I have rain gear for biking dont feel like it). The upside of density...
    I have a professional office job but my employer allows me to work from home full time. I figured why stay in a big city with ridiculous population densities when I can raise my kids in the country life instead. They don't know it now but they'll thank me when they're older.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Ideal arrangement

I lived on the edge of a big city, on a farm, from ages 5-7 and absolutely loved it. This coming from an apartment in a city. I hated moving to the "in between" of suburbs after age 7.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I won't comment on that but I can say culture (for now, until it gets completely priced out) is easier to find than the Denver/Boulder area. It's not that it doesn't exist--you have to try harder to find it and make things work for you.

For me, it was much easier to get to a myriad of Japanese grocery stores in the South Bay. Where here, I have to schedule time to go downtown to hit Pacific Merchantile.
    4.7% Asian demographic (2010) in Boulder, so it's pretty white at 88%. It's even lower in metro Denver. We do have some killer mexican food though with a hispanic population of about 32%!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by garcia View Post
    Boise. That is where I ended up. Low cost of living, fantastic MTBing (both connected to town and throughout the state), much better traffic situation, super low crime, friendly atmosphere, all the amenities you could want, decent job opportunities (and getting better all the time as more companies move here), great for kids, tons of skiing in winter if that is your thing, similar weather (hot in summer with some rain occasionally, colder in winter but totally manageable), GREAT for kids, airport is a short drive away with flights anywhere I would personally go, beautiful mountain view, and... that is all I have for now!

Not sure I could have ever afforded a house in the Bay Area, here I plan on owning multiple as an investor. And the cycling... when I visit the Bay I want to ride road, the MTBing in the East Bay at least isn't even worth the time after riding here.
    We are considering Boise too. Top 5 in order 1. Park City 2. Front Range - Lakewood, Morrison 3.Boise 4. Bend 5.Colorado Springs
    We have friends in all of these areas [most in Utah] but friends who don't live there but have spent time in Boise really like it!

mtbr member
    Hey look...another poll.

Want to be happy? Move to Santa Cruz

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    Hey look...another poll.

Want to be happy? Move to Santa Cruz
    The homeless people and drug addicts wandering all over seem pretty happy.

Dirty by Nature
    Jun 2010
    That's a small part of the greater Santa Cruz-Watsonville corridor. Everybody that I know living over the hill is pretty darn happy! One measure of that is that they don't go online putting down other places...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I grew up in Watsonville and was pretty surprised at that claim..I wouldn't move back.. but mom still lives there..

Anyway if the poll measured that strip from outer Watsonville, say, freedom to the beginning of Santa Cruz, then you got aptos, seacliff, capitola, and that's a somewhat affluent area, so makes sense

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    That's a small part of the greater Santa Cruz-Watsonville corridor. Everybody that I know living over the hill is pretty darn happy! One measure of that is that they don't go online putting down other places...
    Fair enough. When I lived on 17th street and commuted to work on my bicycle it was an everyday problem for me. Being harassed by drug addicts looking for money on a daily basis gets old real quick. I'm sure if I was affluent enough to live in the Capitola area my experiences would have been different.

Dirty by Nature
    Jun 2010
    ^^ Yeah, I can understand that.

Quote Originally Posted by f0nz0 View Post
    Anyway if the poll measured that strip from outer Watsonville, say, freedom to the beginning of Santa Cruz, then you got aptos, seacliff, capitola, and that's a somewhat affluent area, so makes sense

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Add in Scott's Valley/Felton and you have less affluent folks, but I would guess equally happy. For that matter anybody with one foot in the Santa Cruz Mountains is usually pretty stoked with their lives.

VV I'm guessing this guy wasn't part of the poll!
    Last edited by dirtvert; 03-10-2017 at 06:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Santa Cruz is not a good place to live long term unless you are homeless, you don't mind sitting in your car a couple hours a day, or you have a very high paying job that doesn't require you to leave your home. There is an extremely wide margin in Santa Cruz where people believe they can actually afford to live here but they are not actually getting above the true cost of living.

MK_
    carpe maŮana
    I've got a somewhat limited experience but can share my thoughts on Boulder/Denver and Santa Rosa.

I've lived in CO for over 12 years; still have some property there and all my immediate family; most of the time I've spent in Boulder with a short stint in Denver. Things have changed a lot during those years and they've changed even more in the 3+ years since I've left. CO is the fastest growing state in the country I believe; people are flocking at a crazy pace. Pretty much all trails with easy access are crazy crowded. Some have black out days for riding to make things work better with different user groups.

It's near impossible to match the variety of terrain you get to ride within a 40 minute drive from your house in Boulder (~1/1:30 hour if you're in Denver). People don't realize just how unique Boulder County is; it stretches from the plains east of Rockies all the way to the continental divide; Boulder County even has its own glaciers. Water quality, if that matters to you, is unmatched if you live within certain zip codes; pure snow melt.

You can take a bus from Boulder into Ned then pedal over the continental divide into Winter Park if you're into that. On hot summer days you go up the canyon and are at 10k elevation riding in the woods on awesome alpine trails in perfect 65-70 degrees. On cooler days you've got a full spread of awesome trail from Golden to Lyons or even head out to Buffalo Creek west of Evergreen. People are respectful on trails; they don't generally play chicken with you like they do in Annadel.

Denver came into its own in the car era so it's pretty spread out; you get pockets of cool separated by significant distance. Boulder is much more compact, you can be partially car free no problem. Living on the west side of Denver gets you better access to I70 and thus Golden and the high country. Golden actually is a pretty solid spot if you prioritize beer and riding over more refined flavors and cultural pursuits.

Boulder is pretty much a mono-culture, Denver has a little more diversity; both are minimal by Bay Area standards. The biggest upside is that you get a solid margarita and good Mexican under one roof, unlike here. There is some Vietnamese population in Denver to offer a 3rd cuisine option, otherwise, not a whole lot of variety. Forget having a garden, everything will just dry out and wilt. You get used to the dry air, after a few years, everywhere else feels damp. The dry air in the winter is a blessing, cold doesnít feel cold, especially when sunís out.

Having a kid makes it harder to drive to trails as that just feels like a waste of time so having Annadel in the backyard has been amazing. I havenít really ridden much else in 3 years and Iím not bored, yet. Santa Rosa needs help to be a more interesting place to live but it seems that this may be slowly happening with folk from Oakland and SF slowly moving up here and with them they bring better ideas. Fingers crossed.

_MK

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

Trail Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by ohmygato View Post
    Santa Cruz is not a good place to live long term unless you are homeless, you don't mind sitting in your car a couple hours a day, or you have a very high paying job that doesn't require you to leave your home. There is an extremely wide margin in Santa Cruz where people believe they can actually afford to live here but they are not actually getting above the true cost of living.
    I actually want to move to Santa Cruz...I love that place.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by rho View Post
    I'm getting pretty close to packing it up here in the Bay Area and heading out to the Denver-ish area. I end up out there for work on a semi-regular basis and I'm falling in love with all the Front Range has to offer. I know I'd have a hard time leaving the weather of the Bay behind, and that might just be the biggest thing keeping me here. I've looked at going up north to Seattle or heading back down to SoCal but COL and the job base are limiting factors with those two vs Denver where I'd be with the same employer.

The stoke factor is high in Colorado, I worked with a few engineers there who ride and we ended up chatting about riding for hours. I really really hope I can devote some time to checking out the mountains the next time I'm there.
    I too travel to Colorado for work and have fallen in love with it as well. the mountains, the people, downtown Denver and the 200-300 less in rent is very appealing. I hear the weather is horrible but every place has its downside, including the bay area. I am considering living in the burbs just outside of Denver like Golden.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I love Denver, although real estate has really zoomed there...I guess so has the economy. Great riding and skiing..and anything else you need mountains for. As far as the weather goes, I think it has great weather...it just has a real winter is all.

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by AStonich View Post
    I too travel to Colorado for work and have fallen in love with it as well. the mountains, the people, downtown Denver and the 200-300 less in rent is very appealing. I hear the weather is horrible but every place has its downside, including the bay area. I am considering living in the burbs just outside of Denver like Golden.
    Golden and Boulder are NOT cheap, neither are parts of Denver like LoHi and Lowell. Cherry Creek is ridiculous.

There are areas that are cheaper and still can get a decent size house for what you can get for 1/2 of the price in the Bay Area. They do exist but they may not be where you think they are. I live halfway between Denver and Boulder.

People here are really nice but like anywhere you do have your share of jerks. But overall, I've been really happy here.

I've found some great people to ride with, even a group of women downhillers and dirt jumpers. People here are empowering and pretty laid back.

It's hard to find culture here. You won't find it in Boulder but you will find it in Denver or even Aurora. It's just you have to drive to it.

There's definitely a culture of fitness and dogs here. Imagine Carmel's dog friendliness on a large metro area.

There are a lot of transplants from all over here too. And the area seems a bit transient. I see people moving as much as moving in.

Quote Originally Posted by cohenfive View Post
    I love Denver, although real estate has really zoomed there...I guess so has the economy. Great riding and skiing..and anything else you need mountains for. As far as the weather goes, I think it has great weather...it just has a real winter is all.
    I've been here six months, and I can tell you the economy is growing here. It's not purely tech, but there are good tech companies.

The weather can be ridiculous. Yesterday it rained. Today and tomorrow, sun. Friday rain. Saturday snow. Winter can vary. February wasn't bad at all but historically it's cold and miserable. Most of the snow hits between march and may.

Oh yeah and traffic on I-70 and I-25 can suck, chew, and blow.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by cohenfive View Post

I don't mind the real winter, and that is part of the attraction! All four seasons and the mountains for all of them. Sure real estate has zoomed like you said but luckily the re are still many jobs to be had out there whereas the Bay Area is a lot of tech stuff which is not my field.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Golden and Boulder are NOT cheap, neither are parts of Denver like LoHi and Lowell. Cherry Creek is ridiculous.

There are areas that are cheaper and still can get a decent size house for what you can get for 1/2 of the price in the Bay Area. They do exist but they may not be where you think they are. I live halfway between Denver and Boulder.

People here are really nice but like anywhere you do have your share of jerks. But overall, I've been really happy here.

I've found some great people to ride with, even a group of women downhillers and dirt jumpers. People here are empowering and pretty laid back.

It's hard to find culture here. You won't find it in Boulder but you will find it in Denver or even Aurora. It's just you have to drive to it.

There's definitely a culture of fitness and dogs here. Imagine Carmel's dog friendliness on a large metro area.

There are a lot of transplants from all over here too. And the area seems a bit transient. I see people moving as much as moving in.

I've been here six months, and I can tell you the economy is growing here. It's not purely tech, but there are good tech companies.

The weather can be ridiculous. Yesterday it rained. Today and tomorrow, sun. Friday rain. Saturday snow. Winter can vary. February wasn't bad at all but historically it's cold and miserable. Most of the snow hits between march and may.

Oh yeah and traffic on I-70 and I-25 can suck, chew, and blow.
    Yes, Boulder and Golden are not cheap. I learned that quick but if I can pay rent for a year for the same amount out here while checking out where the trails are I am ok with that. I also don't want to live in Denver, I don't care to live in cities and rather enjoy the suburb area or in the case of Colorado, a cool mountain town.

Agreed, Jerks are everywhere but the lesser of them the better.

That is great ot have found a good group of riders! That is exactly how I plan to make friends, going on rides with people and finding group rides!

I can't say I am very cultural myself, I like beer and MTB. Not much else interests me except planning longer trips to ride and finding new beer. Love being around active engaging people and can't wait to have a dog with a backyard for them to play in when i am not home. Out here I can afford a single bedroom apartment and do not want to leave a dog stuck in it all day while I am at work and paying a dog walker seems ridiculous.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456