Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post
    You live in FoCo?
    My wife and I spend the summers and winter break in FoCo. Four months out of the year. We're in grad school in VA. Her parents, sister, brother in law, etc. live here.

Moving back when we graduate.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    9k? Wash all the white away?
    It may be worse than the previous AR event in December. But it did not wash everything out. There will be some skiing. I think.

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    My wife and I spend the summers and winter break in FoCo. Four months out of the year. We're in grad school in VA. Her parents, sister, brother in law, etc. live here.

Moving back when we graduate.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Just moved to the Denver metro. I can't imagine FoCo winters. They've got to be a bit harsh.

But I wanna check out horsetooth. It's supposed to be some nice riding.

Formerly of Kent
    Just moved to the Denver metro. I can't imagine FoCo winters. They've got to be a bit harsh.

Just depends on perspective, I guess. I don't find the winters here bad at all. A few cold days but on the whole, relatively temperate. Lots of sun and dry, salt-free roads.

Horsetooth is great. Larimer County just purchased land on the west side of the ridgeline and is set to almost double the size of HTMP. I presume they will build trails there, as well. The parking thing is a non-issue. I ride there from town, and rarely see more than a few people out on the trails, regardless of how packed the parking areas are.

Here's a screenshot, actual temperature, on my way into work one morning when I was stationed in upstate NY. Wind chill was -70 something. It got colder on my 15min drive, as I left the "urban" heat island, but didn't take another picture. -42 was the lowest, per my car thermometer. Fort Collins is lovely by comparison.
    Want to leave Bay Area. Where to go?-photo.png
    Death from Below.

fc
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Just depends on perspective, I guess. I don't find the winters here bad at all. A few cold days but on the whole, relatively temperate. Lots of sun and dry, salt-free roads.

YES. But our perspective is California. When we want cold, we drive over there to the hills. And then we get t heck out after a few days.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    This is likely too much to ask, but, do any of the mentioned smaller cities (smaller than Portland) have an active rowing club? I am not sure if I can convince my wife that kayaking is a viable substitute, although she loves that too.

middle ring single track

Just for you:

Total sunshine today in Calif. but it did get down to 28 f last night.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    We moved to RWC 7 years ago. I told my wife that there are a couple problems when you move here.
    1. its expense
    2. the weather is so good you will never want to leave.

The big problem that has happened is how crowded it has become. Not just in town driving around but, the trails and everything else you want to do. Too many people.

Housing prices have doubled in that time. While our income has grown quit significantly we still can't buy a house and rents have become absurd. Now we make too much to leave, but not enough to stay.

So for the past 2 years we did some travel and looked at places. We have had job offers in SLO, Portland and our favorite place I'm not sharing. We turned down SLO/Portland and used it to for a nice pay increase here. We would have been out a year ago but that is the one offer we couldn't come to a number on and we had to say no.

I have either visited or lived many of the places mentioned here. And to be honest there are not perfect spots. However, I'll throw out some places I've researched, but have not visited yet.

Tennessee, especially east near the smokey mountains (knoxville).
    If you don't mind winters Boone, NC is a college town(my brother in law lives there), but I don't think there are too many jobs there, but it is a ski area.

Definitely some New Mexico areas should be looked at too.

I'm ready to go, my wife wants to stay for the weather. We don't ride as much as we used to and while good riding is a requirement for us at the next location it's not defining the location. Weather, pay, cost of living, quality of life, proximity to outdoor locations (4 hours or less) are more important to us at this point.

I forgot one really good place that I love to go riding. Hurricane/St. George. I would move to Hurricane if we could. So close to so much. Good weather and even when its blasting hot out you can get a ride in the morning before it goes nuclear.

Hurricane does not meet some of our requirements such as proximity to a major airport, but its pretty close to perfect for us. Affordable, not over crowded, Zion, grand canyon (if you haven't ridden rainbow rim trail you should).

I would be interested in the demographics of people staying and going. Age/kids/$$$/Career

Certainly having money makes staying here easier, but it seems like quality of life (thats not about money per say) is really pushing people out.

always licking the glass
    YES. But our perspective is California. When we want cold, we drive over there to the hills. And then we get t heck out after a few days.
    True but I'll tell you after a foot of snow yesterday, the roads are maintained well and there is infrastructure here to support snow. Still thinking of getting a fat bike.

This morning I can't believe i said "it feels nice now that we are at 19 degrees."

But Le Duke is right--winters here aren't too bad. Learning to live with snow is definitely a mind change, but when you see people XC skiing and snowshoeing in the street, you learn to adapt.

And find a hill and get a sled

Still thinking a fat bike is good too.

fc
    True but I'll tell you after a foot of snow yesterday, the roads are maintained well and there is infrastructure here to support snow. Still thinking of getting a fat bike.

This morning I can't believe i said "it feels nice now that we are at 19 degrees."

But Le Duke is right--winters here aren't too bad. Learning to live with snow is definitely a mind change, but when you see people XC skiing and snowshoeing in the street, you learn to adapt.

And find a hill and get a sled

Still thinking a fat bike is good too.
    Very good points. Infrastructure is good. And clothing and the accumulation of the proper ones makes a difference.

But most important is human beings acclimate. We adapt and survive by nature. And manage to have fun along the way.
    IPA will save America

always licking the glass
    Very good points. Infrastructure is good. And clothing and the accumulation of the proper ones makes a difference.

But most important is human beings acclimate. We adapt and survive by nature. And manage to have fun along the way.
    Yep and before the last snowfall hit, I got in solid riding time. You just have to have stuff to keep yourself busy and happy.

Here, everyone seems to have an active lifestyle. My general rule here:
    - if I can I go ride
    - if I can't go ride, I go to the gym
    - if I can't make the gym, it's because I'm shoveling snow. And trust me, it's quite the workout.

My asthma is much better here, so is my mental health, and diet.

There are a lot of trails here, and I'm sure there will be some I never ride. And I don't ski or snowboard (my knees). But trestle is an hour away and once the bike park opens, I'll be there regularly in the summer. I couldn't do that in the Bay Area, and it was impossible to get to Tahoe in less than 6 hours unless you leave in the mornings on fridays.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeggs1993 View Post
    This is likely too much to ask, but, do any of the mentioned smaller cities (smaller than Portland) have an active rowing club? I am not sure if I can convince my wife that kayaking is a viable substitute, although she loves that too.
    In the kinda same area yeah. Eugene, Salem, Albany, and Corvallis all would yes. Albany and especially Corvallis would be great places to live. You got Mac Forest and Alsea right there for riding. Close to the coast, close to the mountains and very low cost of living comparatively. Block 15, one of the best breweries in Oregon, is there. I always see people rowing crew when I drive over the bridge into town, so would assume crew is big thing in Corvallis.

Edit- most importantly you're 45 min away from Oakridege...my own personal dream place to live. An absolute wonderland for the outdoor enthusiast.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Since this is a destination thread and some places in this zone have been mentioned I'll add I'd take snow all day long. In the valley from say Ashland to Bellingham you get roughly 6 months of cold (40°ish) rain. Most of the habitable places in this zone take a 1.5 hour drive to escape the rain. Unless you're a whitewater kayaker this can really suck. So yes I would love it if all that rain were snow.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Another reason to consider Reno....Mt Rose is the only ski area within an hour of Tahoe that got snow today...let's not talk about downtown flooding however....

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    35/wife/1 kid 3yo

"Now we make too much to leave, but not enough to stay. " +1

I mostly grew up on the peninsula. I switched careers 5 years ago after making nothing as a software developer at a startup for 5 years and hating the intensity. I'm finally making good money but today's peninsula has not grown up the way I thought it would ten years ago and we want to leave. However my industry's focal points are in SFBA, SD, Chicago, NC, and NJ.

My wife doesn't want to go back to snow after growing up in NJ and OH. She's a city girl though, I dunno if she could make it more than an hour from a major airport.

I want outdoor recreation and I don't like hot weather. It was pouring rain today and I was out BBQing. I have rain gear from Portland, it's all good.

I like biking, hockey, skiing, windsurfing. I can do all those in the bay area, will be hard to give it up.

We have traveled a lot. My wife has hit 40 states, just missing southern ones, North Dakota, Maine and Vermont.

Sacramento seems like the most realistic option. I went to Davis and I'm down with Sac. We really like Santa Cruz, but it's not cheap enough given the pay hit we would take to live there.

If you're going to give up Bay Area pay, you might as well go to an even cheaper city says my rational mind... Reno has no income tax, Seattle has no income tax. If you're pay drops 50%, but your taxes go down 10%, well then that's not so bad, right?

I've never been to Colorado, which seems high on a lot of people's lists.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    CO is great, Denver is a wonderful city but it has gotten pretty expensive. I'm still a fan of Reno, lots of jobs there and great climate/outdoor options. Also a great attitude generally, especially when it comes to recreation. They view it as a core 'value' of the region, so when things like trails should be built, they just to out and get them done. The amount of trail building that goes on there is really impressive, and all with the full support of land managers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Since this is a destination thread and some places in this zone have been mentioned I'll add I'd take snow all day long. In the valley from say Ashland to Bellingham you get roughly 6 months of cold (40°ish) rain. Most of the habitable places in this zone take a 1.5 hour drive to escape the rain. Unless you're a whitewater kayaker this can really suck. So yes I would love it if all that rain were snow.
    eh, I would say from oakridge north you are in the rain valley. Grants Pass, Ashland, Medford, etc are much more similar to Redding weather-wise in the winter. I just moved to Ashland and while the temps are cold, storms tend to move in and move out, not the perpetual rain/mist of Eugene-North.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I'm going to make it a goal to visit Denver and Reno this year then. I have only stopped in Reno a couple times on horrible road trips through Nevada that deserve their own threads.

Two more things
    1) My wife always complained that people aren't "real" in SF (and this now applies to the suburbs too). I learned what she meant when I visited Columbus and Portland (c. 2006/07, PDX especially has changed since): it was really easy to approach strangers and have a decently deep conversation. Something about megacities makes people guarded IMO.
    2) You can theoretically do everything in the SFBA but practically it's very limited by traffic. Last year I got 6 days of skiing in, 5 days of windsurfing, 4 days of hockey, and probably a dozen good MTB rides (half of them in Oregon, heh), because I can't actually drive to anything except windsurfing midweek unless I take a day off. Tahoe, Santa Cruz, HMB, Sharks Ice, they're all RIGHT THERE but there's no way the drive will be worth it. Depending on where you live one of those might be more accessible than the others.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I've been all along the 5 between Ashland and Vancouver during winter and normarin's comments are spot on. Ashland is much drier and gets more sun. I dunno if it was normal, but I got more relatively more sun in January in Vancouver than I have in several visits to SEA or PDX (dec/jan). It was cold though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I should be going to bed but these are the resources I have used to scope out places

1) Walkscore - hard to tell from just looking at a map where population clusters are. Also helps decide where you might want to be if you like density or if you hate density.
    2) At 8am and 5pm, go to Google Maps and turn on traffic. Take a screenshot. You now know where the jobs are and where people live.
    3) Go to Redfin and choose a comparable house. Example: Our $1mil rental in bay area is probably $400k in Sacramento.
    4) Glassdoor to figure out pay at possible employers.
    5) This might be controversial but... Redfin/Trulia/Zillow, look at housing prices over last five years. S&P500 has been like 14% annual growth, which means almost doubling over 5 years, which is about what San Mateo has seen in housing prices as well. I'd be concerned about a city or neighborhood that is lagging that by a lot... I just looked at the stats of Ward 1 in Reno, and avg went from 183k to 382k, which is MORE than 2x. Another example, Woodstock, Portland, OR went from 216k to 402k, which is less than 2x but not bad.

I once went and did this for a list of top 20 cities to mountain bike in on MTBR's front page, and found that some of them were doing really poorly. They might be great to mountain bike in, but for whatever reason, money is not flowing into them, and it's probably tough to get a job.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    If you move to Davis or Sac you can kite or windsurf at Sherman which is not that far away and better than 3rd or Coyote in my opinion. Warmer weather and water plus a great sense of community. If you want to windsurf where you live the choices are limited. Bay Area, Hood River, Maui, Hatteras.

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by cohenfive View Post
    CO is great, Denver is a wonderful city but it has gotten pretty expensive. I'm still a fan of Reno, lots of jobs there and great climate/outdoor options. Also a great attitude generally, especially when it comes to recreation. They view it as a core 'value' of the region, so when things like trails should be built, they just to out and get them done. The amount of trail building that goes on there is really impressive, and all with the full support of land managers.
    Compared to the Bay Area, hell no. 39% less cost of living. San Diego, my second choice: 19% less. Couldn't justify San Diego. However, yes, Denver has a higher cost of living than most of the country, but after being in San Jose for the past 12 years, it's still better.

But yes, Denver's prices are climbing, and some areas are more expensive than others. If you want Bay Area prices, Boulder is much closer to the expense level.

This area has one of the healthiest active lifestyles I've seen. Many people don't mountain bike in the winter--others are fat bikers (several year round). If you don't want to be outside, there's plenty of indoor activities to do (roller skating is actually a big thing here, so I have something to do when I don't want to be outside, especially when it's 9 degrees outside).

I can't ski or snowboard (knee issues), but there's so much to do here that it's ridiculous.

There are so many trails in the Front Range, and even an hour or so away. And lots of bike parks. I'm picking up a new DJ, because there are a lot of them here and I don't have to drive an hour to use it like I did when I lived in San Jose. Calabazas sucks, and the SJ bike park wasn't done (not sure if it is now) when I left.

A lot of people complain about the crowds here, but everything is relative. If I came to Denver from NC, sure, I would find it expensive and crowded. But coming from the Bay Area, it's much more laid back and less expensive. Except seafood. Seafood is really expensive here (then again, not near an ocean and I'm pretty picky about where I go).

I definitely miss being able to ride Ft. Ord in the winter. I'm not much of a snow person, and people here do NOT ride muddy trails. After a good snowfall (5" this week, 12" last week), the snow evaporates fast because it's so dry here, but the mud takes a while to go away. You have some windows between some snow to ride, but it's not like riding Ft. Ord in the rain.

mtbr member
    Speaking of destinations, a few months ago you said you planned on moving by March. Did you ever decide on a place? March is getting close. I'd probably pick Salida off your list if mountain biking was all I cared about but Brevard for all around life. You are surrounded by world class trails, hiking & white-water as well as all kinds of civil war history. Tons of easy access to cool cities as well like Nashville, Charlotte & Charleston just for starters.
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2014 Pivot Mach 6
    2011 Niner Air 9 (de facto road bike)

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    There are so many trails in the Front Range, and even an hour or so away. And lots of bike parks. I'm picking up a new DJ, because there are a lot of them here and I don't have to drive an hour to use it like I did when I lived in San Jose. Calabazas sucks, and the SJ bike park wasn't done (not sure if it is now) when I left.
    Lake Cunningham is still in progress. There aren't many bike park options unless you drive to Santa Cruz.

I'm curious how San Diego was your second choice because the MTB scene seems to be pretty lame, like the bay area if it didn't have Santa Cruz I've thought about SD a lot but it's not that much cheaper and I'd give up windsurfing and skiing and make no progress on biking.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi View Post
    SMH. I got three words to add to this thread right now that everyone will say none of us saw coming 17 years ago.

"Redwood City Gentrification".
    I grew up in RWC. Almost everyone on our street and adjoining street has sold out and moved to Sac or the Foothills. Even just a couple years ago you could sell your crummy ranch house for over a million and get something in Sac for 400k or in the foothills for 200k. Retire the instant the kids are off to college.

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by fitek View Post
    Lake Cunningham is still in progress. There aren't many bike park options unless you drive to Santa Cruz.

I'm curious how San Diego was your second choice because the MTB scene seems to be pretty lame, like the bay area if it didn't have Santa Cruz I've thought about SD a lot but it's not that much cheaper and I'd give up windsurfing and skiing and make no progress on biking.
    San Diego has cleaner air than the Bay Area. Main reason for the move is my asthma. Seattle, Denver, and San Diego were all in the last part of the decision.

One of the reasons San Diego is still high on my list is I'd like to work as a master builder at legoland (my other passion is building Lego sculptures). But it doesn't pay much ($12/hour last I checked).

Even if we kept both of our tech jobs, San Diego is just as expensive as the Bay Area and we would prolly have to live inland instead on the coast where the air is better.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    It seems you have to go live along the 15 to find reasonable housing now (my work would be in La Jolla area, so I never looked at east SD or south). My sister lives off 15 past Escondido and I dunno that the air quality is that good. It's hazey fairly often.

I worked in SD 5 years ago for half a year and traffic has gotten much much worse. I couldn't afford La Jolla then, so I staid further out and drove in. If I had picked somewhere to get a house back then, it'd be along the coast in North County but the commute on 5 now is so awful. Nowadays I'd pick Poway or nearby.

always licking the glass
    It seems you have to go live along the 15 to find reasonable housing now (my work would be in La Jolla area, so I never looked at east SD or south). My sister lives off 15 past Escondido and I dunno that the air quality is that good. It's hazey fairly often.

I worked in SD 5 years ago for half a year and traffic has gotten much much worse. I couldn't afford La Jolla then, so I staid further out and drove in. If I had picked somewhere to get a house back then, it'd be along the coast in North County but the commute on 5 now is so awful. Nowadays I'd pick Poway or nearby.
    Yep which is why San Diego is out. Carlsbad, anywhere along the ocean in north county would be just unaffordable. No way I would want to live inland like Temecula or Menifee.

Living in Colorado allows me to visit San Diego more often. Flights are just as much as from San Jose or SFO as they are from Denver, but cost of living is cheaper here.

So it gets us the best of both worlds

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Two more things
    1) My wife always complained that people aren't "real" in SF (and this now applies to the suburbs too). I learned what she meant when I visited Columbus and Portland (c. 2006/07, PDX especially has changed since): it was really easy to approach strangers and have a decently deep conversation. Something about megacities makes people guarded IMO.
    True dat, but it's a spiral: If you believe it's true you lose interest in fostering good communications yourself.

2) You can theoretically do everything in the SFBA but practically it's very limited by traffic. Last year I got 6 days of skiing in, 5 days of windsurfing, 4 days of hockey, and probably a dozen good MTB rides (half of them in Oregon, heh), because I can't actually drive to anything except windsurfing midweek unless I take a day off. Tahoe, Santa Cruz, HMB, Sharks Ice, they're all RIGHT THERE but there's no way the drive will be worth it. Depending on where you live one of those might be more accessible than the others.
    You might want to consider some of the public transportation options and bike paths around here. My #1 challenge in the bay area as a sales guy is figuring out how to never catch rush hour traffic. If you insist on driving during peak hours you might as well move out, because you're never truly going to see the bay area from your little plastic box with windows anyway. I work ~50 hours a week and ride 5 days a week (mixed road/mtb). If that wasn't the case I'd be long gone.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ohmygato View Post
    You might want to consider some of the public transportation options and bike paths around here.
    I do actually avoid peak traffic, to a degree. Unfortunately school drop off & pickup is unavoidable and I have to time it w/ client expectations (I have to work when they work). I drive between multiple sites so biking and public transit is not an option. Typical day is SM->Burlingame->Hayward-> South SF -> Burlingame -> SM. It's impossible on public transit. If our transit system wasn't so Balkanized, maybe.

I could switch to remote work and take a 30-40% pay hit and have more free time, but then I might as well just go somewhere with great MTB riding and skiing and a lower cost of living to offset the pay drop. My napkin estimation is, for example, that we'd have the same purchasing power in WA side of PDX w/ 30% less income. If we can put up with the rain and crap skiing

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Are all the trails in close proximity to EDH/GB/Roseville very XCish? Looking at MTBProject it sure looks that way, but I dunno if there's, uh, unofficial trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I'm considering the very likelihood of checking out (almost completely) from Santa Cruz for the Sierras. I work remotely and in Plumas County, they've been running fiber and point to point wifi.

While lacking urban niceties, access to snow and mountain biking, lack of people, and fiber...

So tempting.

mtbr member
    My wife and I are thinking of the Auburn area in a few years. All depending on her career change. For me, I'll be staying in SF for the work week then head back on the weekends. At least that's the plan as of now. It's good for both of us. Can afford property with enough room for her horses. Outdoor for both. MTB and Hwy 49 for moto. Close enough to Sac and far enough from SF.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by iSlowpoke View Post
    My wife and I are thinking of the Auburn area in a few years. All depending on her career change. For me, I'll be staying in SF for the work week then head back on the weekends. At least that's the plan as of now. It's good for both of us. Can afford property with enough room for her horses. Outdoor for both. MTB and Hwy 49 for moto. Close enough to Sac and far enough from SF.
    Damn. That sounds difficult
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    And... I will be going sooner than later. Short term rental while escrow closes on a place in Graeagle.

Turns out Mark Weir has a place in town.

Moderator Moderator
    I'm going to re-post this so no more Californians and Texans move to Fort Collins.

Yes, and Boulder has more in-town mountain biking opportunities, better bike paths, no wind, easier winters and more affordable housing.

CO is hot right now.

Colorado has more people on the move than any other state – The Denver Post
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

fc
    We NEED to hear from these OTHER towns now. Bend, Portland, Truckee, Denver, East Coast.

How is it really in the winter?
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Weather is a frame of mind.

If you truly love all 4 seasons nothing beats the north east coast. The tree cover on the east cost is mind boggling. Go look at google earth. You can't see the houses. Its amazing.

I'm 43 and when I was a kid we would get a few winter storms a year then slowly they disappeared. For about a decade we had very mild winters and it was definitely a subject of conversation.

Right before we moved 7 years ago we started getting storms again, not just snow but wicked rain storms and river were flooding like crazy.

When we got out here the storms continued making national news and the winter weather seems to be more like when I was a kid.

My wife and I are trying to leave as well but pay scale and weather are two huge hurtles to overcome. I mentioned a few places we are willing to go, but we can't leave the pay.

Weather isn't everything. Obviously like minded people, work, entertainment a big one I here mention is loosing their social group and having to start over, which if you are older definitely is more difficult.

I doubt SFO natives would appreciate the 4 season of the east coast. If you want to go east though NC, TN are definitely some places to look. If you are in the medical world you have the Healthcare triangle in NC. Boone, NC is a college town and ski area. Options area bound in this country for sure.

we started throwing around the idea of Italy for a few years.
    FC new bike on order, hoping to get back into the fold this spring/summer.

gone walk about
    I'm going to make it a goal to visit Denver and Reno this year then. I have only stopped in Reno a couple times on horrible road trips through Nevada that deserve their own threads.
    Been in reno/sparks since 85 and dare i say quite satisfied with what was offered then and certainly now, as always it's a matter of ones perspective.
    "ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK"

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by heythorp View Post
    Weather is a frame of mind.

If you truly love all 4 seasons nothing beats the north east coast. The tree cover on the east cost is mind boggling. Go look at google earth. You can't see the houses. Its amazing.

I'm 43 and when I was a kid we would get a few winter storms a year then slowly they disappeared. For about a decade we had very mild winters and it was definitely a subject of conversation.

Right before we moved 7 years ago we started getting storms again, not just snow but wicked rain storms and river were flooding like crazy.

When we got out here the storms continued making national news and the winter weather seems to be more like when I was a kid.

My wife and I are trying to leave as well but pay scale and weather are two huge hurtles to overcome. I mentioned a few places we are willing to go, but we can't leave the pay.

Weather isn't everything. Obviously like minded people, work, entertainment a big one I here mention is loosing their social group and having to start over, which if you are older definitely is more difficult.

I doubt SFO natives would appreciate the 4 season of the east coast. If you want to go east though NC, TN are definitely some places to look. If you are in the medical world you have the Healthcare triangle in NC. Boone, NC is a college town and ski area. Options area bound in this country for sure.

we started throwing around the idea of Italy for a few years.
    FC new bike on order, hoping to get back into the fold this spring/summer.
    Great info!!

Moving to Italy... Yeah, Florence!

What bike you getting?
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I should add some other north east info. You might be surprised by how many places there are to ride. It's completely different riding from here. It will be tree covered roots and rocks galore. It's a much more challenging place to ride. You will get super fit here but there you will become a better rider.

If you are a surfer the atlantic is warm and you don't need a suit during the summer. Skiing is a bit hit or miss and will be the worst conditions you will ever ski (ice)

But you can live close to all of it. I was 25 minutes from Manhattan. 1:15 to Jersey shore, 1 hour to the Poconos. The cool thing about the east coast is things are so close. Boston, NY, Philly, DC only 8 hours between them all. Add in Maine and the south there is so much to do and so many different places to ride.

Great info!!

Moving to Italy... Yeah, Florence!

What bike you getting?
    Oh grabbed an XTC 275plus. Need to make room for it. Anyone looking for a cannonade evo, anthem or xtc 275. something needs to go.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    We NEED to hear from these OTHER towns now. Bend, Portland, Truckee, Denver, East Coast.

I don't live in Bend or Portland, but I've spent a fair bit of time in both and have friends in both places. The comment I have heard from Bend folks is that there is nothing to do for work. A few cashed out and moved away (to Ashland and Sacramento); one is still there, but does the airplane commute to SF.

I spent a week in Portland in mid November to see what it's like day to day. I was working remotely that week. I thought it was awesome that I could bike around everywhere (bought rain gear and I stayed perfectly dry through it all). Some parts of the city were beautiful with fall colors, others, the trees were barren and it looked apocalyptic (I took notes and video, if you're really interested). If I had to drive near downtown at all, it would have sucked. Traffic since I first visited in 2007 is much worse. I don't quite get it as public transit works relatively well there.

I've been in PDX in January and February. The lack of light was more impactful than the rain. In the bay area, even if it's overcast, you still get some decent amount of light coming through the clouds usually. This wasn't the case in Portland. It was depressingly gray. We were visiting and people we interacted with were much friendlier than SF, so we thought that warmth from the people made up for the weather, at least for one week at a time.

I could see how the winter weather would get tiring after a few months. People flood out to enjoy the breaks in the weather. The locals told me to plan for trips to the sun during the winter. A "mandatory" trip to San Diego or Hawaii during the winter sounds horrible

Also it's usually not quite cold enough to snow, but close to freezing= freezing rain. In San Mateo, it usually warms up when it's raining (like today) to high 50s.

Here's a couple resources for light and rain amounts. The light map is broken into 10 colors; San Mateo is 9/10 and Portland is 2/10. Seattle is 1/10. The rain map is not quite so tragic for Seattle and Portland as their reputations suggest.

Precipitation map:
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...of_the_USA.png

Avg daily sunlight:
    http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/...lbjrpxcjay.png

Avg daily sunlight by month:
    https://img.washingtonpost.com/wp-ap...nths.png&w=480

Dirty by Nature
    Jun 2010
    Friends don't let friends ride e-"bikes" on dirt.

Nature is not a sidewalk.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    Ha, ha.... really cool.

It's a good reminder of the great aspects of our area. Usually when real estate is very high, people want to move there, for a reason.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Boise made #12. Not bad. From my house there (which is less than a mile from the center of downtown), I can ride 5 minutes to any number of trailheads and access 200+ miles of trail (and the 200 miles of trail does not include the fireroads where you can gravel bike yourself lost). Too bad there is a winter, but if you like skiing, you're golden.

Dirty by Nature
    Jun 2010
    ^^ Skiing is for suckers.

Btw, when TahoeBC is in town we're #2.

mtbr member
    Are all the trails in close proximity to EDH/GB/Roseville very XCish? Looking at MTBProject it sure looks that way, but I dunno if there's, uh, unofficial trails.
    Yep, mostly XC. A few spots that are more than XC. Auburn has more non-XC legally. Georgetown has some legal not XC trails too.

gone walk about
    departed in late 79 only to return to collect my belongings and been in Nv ever since. Once maybe twice a year i visit for 2 days but thats all i can take of the all me me crowd.
    "ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK"

Moderator Moderator

Hey Francis, interestingly enough our metro Denver winter weather is pretty close to your San Jose weather. At least for the next 10 days and just a wee bit colder at night.

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USCO0105:1:US

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USCA0993:1:US
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

Dirty by Nature
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    departed in late 79 only to return to collect my belongings and been in Nv ever since. Once maybe twice a year i visit for 2 days but thats all i can take of the all me me crowd.
    Hit me up the next time you're in town and I'll give you a tour of the redwood trails.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast