Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Californiagrown View Post
    Bingo.

Im 29, just bought a condo in kirkland, get pow day mornings off to ski for 2.5 hours at alpental then come into work at noon thirty. I work with a guy who races pro at NW cups, and ride the best trails in the world, full stop. I eat great food, live 20 mins from the downtown of a major metropolitan international city, and my commute is 10 mins.

I dont work in tech or finance.

none of this would have been possible had i stayed in San Francisco. My sister and Bro in law both make significantly more than me and have a snowballs chance in hell of buying a home or condo near their jobs on the peninsula.

People get scared because of the weather here, but summers here are better than they are in the bay area. And during winter and early spring, rain means pow days up in the mountains (meanwhile the majority of trail systems remain wet but open). Wet loam is pretty damn fun to ride When the snow is shitty, i ski half a day, knock off at noon, and then stop by one of the trail systems on my way home to go dig for an hour or two with my dog in tow.

Basically, Seattle is what ive heard the BA was like 20 years ago, except seattle has waaaaaaay better access to mountainous wilderness and allows for a lot more freedom in how you utilize it.
    Half of my team is in Seattle, and judging from their feedback, you are quickly going towards the same set of price and traffic issues as in Bay Area.

V-Shaped Rut
    When you talk Seattle the city is one area, the Eastside (Bellevue, Redmond, Kirkland, Issaquah, etc.) is another. They are VERY different cultures and lifestyles.

Seattle=Very urban, very crowded, very bad traffic, lots of homeless, lots of strange folk, ultra liberal, distinct neighborhoods, tons more to do, much better food. In short a city.

Eastside=Less dense, (with some smaller business oriented downtown type areas like Bellevue), less crowded and dense, bad traffic sometimes during rush hour, generally more affluent, generally more outwardly nice people (hi neighbor!), way closer to the mountains and good riding. Not as much city stuff to do. In short more suburban.

The Eastside IMO is *FAR* nicer from an outdoors type person's POV. The close in ski resort Alpental is 40-45 minutes. The best close in MTB trails (Tiger Mt, Duthie, Grand ridge) are 20 minutes. Climbing, camping, offroading, kayaking, etc are all similarly closer. The further out you move east, the closer to the good stuff. The schools are generally better as well compared to the hit or miss of Seattle proper if you have kids.

In terms of racial diversity, the eastside (particularly bellevue and redmond) are MORE diverse. That may be surprising, but it's to do with Microsoft and other tech companies and their focus on bringing in Indian and asian tech workers. FWIW I live in bellevue and everyone gets along, there is little to no divisiveness. I see so many saris and hijabs it barely registers.

It is true that home prices and traffic have gotten much worse in the 5 years I've lived here and I definitely fear this area will be the bay area pt 2. It certainly looks to be headed that way. By the time it gets unbearable I'll be ready to retire and move back home to tahoe.

EDIT: Oh yeah, it's overcast all the ****ing time in the fall/spring. Can't believe I've made it 5 years. Doing it for my family, but damn it drags you down.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Half of my team is in Seattle, and judging from their feedback, you are quickly going towards the same set of price and traffic issues as in Bay Area.
    How quickly they forget what the Bay Area is actually like haha. This area is for sure headed that direction, but its gonna be a while. I still chuckle when people talk about how expensive the real estate is because my only other experience is that of the bay area which is 2-3 times the price. Traffic does suck, but the lower cost of housing makes a short commute to work possible .

As for Cle Elum, im not a fan of the east side of the crest. I am of the opinion that if you are going to forego all the good things about a big metro area, you may as well live in an actual mountain town eg Aspen, telluride, JHole, Taos, Dillion/Breck/Frisco, etc. Cle Elum has always struck me as pretty rundown with a more rednecky vibe, but i have limited experience there so take what i say with large servings of salt.

Im surprised no one has mentioned Hood River as a place to move to.

Dream it, Do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by andytiedye View Post
    No effng way! Yes, California has a state income tax, but it would never be $70K on $150K in income (state income taxes are deductable on your federal return). The correct figure would be $12K at most (single with no deductions, marginal rate 9.3%) with over $3K of that coming off your federal taxes.
    OK, you're right. I did the calculations at https://www.paycheckcity.com/calculator/salary/ and you can earn about 13.5% less in Washington and still have approximately the same take-home pay. Assumptions I made were Married with 4 deductions. Gotta tell you though, I feels like I earn a whole lot more here in WA state.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

Dream it, Do it.
    Wet loam is pretty damn fun to ride
    Damn right! I think of the "rain" as our little secret that keeps all of California from moving here tomorrow. Truth is that you throw on a rain jacket and can easily ride almost 365 days a year here. Rain does not close the trails for a week here as it does in the Bay Area because it rains here about 8.5 months out of the year. What's even better when it does rain here is that it keeps all of the non-outdoorsy people inside and keeps even the outdoors folks inside until later in the morning. So at 8am on a rainy weekend morning, I can count on having the trails all to myself for the next 2 hours or so and get to rail bermed turns at pretty much whatever speed I choose a short ride from my front door.

I'm never moving back to the Bay Area.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes

Dream it, Do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitewater View Post
    Does anyone have the down low on Cle Elum, WA? A buddy is selling a house that he and an ex-girlfriend purchased up there and reading through this post has me thinking about buying her out and renting with potential long term goal of moving up that way. I'm a sun worshiper and I'm not sure how I would do in the grey but it's worth exploring.
    There is more sun on the east side of the Cascades. A lot of good trails around the Leavenworth area. What kind of work would you be seeking?
    Dirt Merchant Bikes

Dream it, Do it.
    Yes, but right now you have the chance to buy in the equivalent of a Los Altos or Saratoga in the Bay Area from a commute perspective. I will most likely move elsewhere when I no longer need to work anymore in about 20 years.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes

V-Shaped Rut
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    So at 8am on a rainy weekend morning, I can count on having the trails all to myself for the next 2 hours or so and get to rail bermed turns at pretty much whatever speed I choose a short ride from my front door.
    This. Early bird gets the turns.

Especially at tiger on a weekend. And yep, rain jacket + waterproof shoes is key. My alpental pass is LTD so I ride pow on weekdays and bikes weekends.

About the adjusted takehome pay thing I'd urge people to not worry about a generic cost of living calculator but instead their own individual situations. Techies at MSFT and AMZN can pull near (or actual) bay area salaries, rent cheaper than a mortgage and avoid property and income tax. YRMV, but run the actual numbers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    There is more sun on the east side of the Cascades. A lot of good trails around the Leavenworth area. What kind of work would you be seeking?
    My wifes company has an office in Seattle. The thought was she could get a job in the city with a big promo/raise, commute to the office 2 days a week and WFH 3. I will be stay at home dad/biker/fisherman. I do business process analysis, strategic planning and supply chain analysis type work so probably not a ton of options in that general area, maybe Yakima?
    Doesn't hurt to dream...

Californiagrown. I'm not a fan of the city all that much and prefer a rural lifestyle so that which you mention actually appeals to me. "Mountain towns" are great until they aren't, gentrification ruins the vibe as the Jones's move in and price out much of the down to earthness that make these areas appealing to begin with.
    Run down just means opportunities for improvement as the prices in the city / burbs rise and people flock further out. Buy cheap, sell high.
    This is all well and good except I'm trying to raise my kids to be a little better than me which complicates the situation significantly. Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitewater View Post
    My wifes company has an office in Seattle. The thought was she could get a job in the city with a big promo/raise, commute to the office 2 days a week and WFH 3. I will be stay at home dad/biker/fisherman. I do business process analysis, strategic planning and supply chain analysis type work so probably not a ton of options in that general area, maybe Yakima?
    Doesn't hurt to dream...

Californiagrown. I'm not a fan of the city all that much and prefer a rural lifestyle so that which you mention actually appeals to me. "Mountain towns" are great until they aren't, gentrification ruins the vibe as the Jones's move in and price out much of the down to earthness that make these areas appealing to begin with.
    Run down just means opportunities for improvement as the prices in the city / burbs rise and people flock further out. Buy cheap, sell high.
    This is all well and good except I'm trying to raise my kids to be a little better than me which complicates the situation significantly. Thanks for the info.
    Just be aware that the pass she has to drive over gets fairly treacherous, and can close every so often during the winter if she commutes. And there is a fine line between a rural, country town with a down-to-earth vibe, and just plain rednecky. I dont know Cle Elum nearly well enough to say what it is, but schooling for the yungins would be a concern for me.

sounds like you have a good situation though, with lots of options!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Im surprised no one has mentioned Hood River as a place to move to.
    I just spent 1 day in Portland and 3 days in the Gorge solo and by the end of day 1 I was thinking WTF am I still doing in the bay area. It was raining for about 20 minutes every 90 minutes most of the weekend, but the rain kept moving around, so I just adjusted activities. I MTB'd WA Gorge (wet ground made the tires grip better), BMX'd indoor park @ the lumberyard, DJ'd Gateway Green, hiked a couple times, went salmon fishing (just because I saw lots of people doing it), had fancy dinners and cheap eats, even went to a vampire bar for s***s and giggles. All within an hour of the airport.

I really want to make it up to Seattle again as I haven't been there in six years.

RE: HR, it's gotten quite a bit pricier but still cheap compared to SFBA. Long commute to Portland tho and 84 closes at times (usually due to winter, not giant forest fires like this summer)

Dream it, Do it.
    Just be aware that the pass she has to drive over gets fairly treacherous, and can close every so often during the winter if she commutes. And there is a fine line between a rural, country town with a down-to-earth vibe, and just plain rednecky. I dont know Cle Elum nearly well enough to say what it is, but schooling for the yungins would be a concern for me.

sounds like you have a good situation though, with lots of options!
    I was going to say that as well. Expecting to be able to go over Snoqualmie Pass in the winter is pretty unpredictable. Just this past winter, I went skiing in the morning expecting to get home around 1pm and was stuck on the on-ramp for about 3 hours waiting for avalanche control work to finish.

For more rural areas on the western side of the pass, check out Duvall and Carnation.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Hood River as a place to move to.
    Hood River is awesome in the summer. It's those other 3 seasons... The Gorge can get shut down in a good winter storm.

Plus, there's no shortage of people with college degrees bagging groceries there.
    Last edited by Callender; 09-24-2017 at 07:35 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Maybe I retire to Bellingham, WA in 20 years...
    Bellingham is really nice. My brother-in-law lives just east of there in Sudden Valley on Lake Whatcom. Summers are great. Lots of outdoor stuff for the kids to do. We used to visit all the time when the kids were young. However, he ONLY lives there in the summer, and maybe xmas break (they're ex-pat teachers in Asia). It's those other three seasons. As I get older, I tend to be much less tolerant of lousy weather.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Callender View Post
    Hood River is awesome in the summer. It's those other 3 seasons...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiendbear View Post
    It's those other three seasons. As I get older, I tend to be much less tolerant of lousy weather.
    Does no one ski on this forum?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by andytiedye View Post
    Mendocino.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
    +1 for Mendo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Asia. Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    https://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/...ly-ineffective

I was driving on El Camino by Stanford University and saw a ton of RVs. Thought they were camping out for the football game but looks like they're living there.

"The scores of RVs and other vehicles in which people are living along El Camino Real in Palo Alto haven't dwindled much since late June, when the community starting noticing their perpetual presence and police began enforcing the city's parking ordinance."Name:  61304_main.jpg
Views: 1678
Size:  56.3 KB
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    https://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/...ly-ineffective

I was driving on El Camino by Stanford University and saw a ton of RVs. Thought they were camping out for the football game but looks like they're living there.

"The scores of RVs and other vehicles in which people are living along El Camino Real in Palo Alto haven't dwindled much since late June, when the community starting noticing their perpetual presence and police began enforcing the city's parking ordinance."Name:  61304_main.jpg
Views: 1678
Size:  56.3 KB
    Yup, that's gonna be the new normal, in lots of places. Nowadays people are even aspiring to live in tiny homes, which are just glorified campers. And of course, not only are the haves making it harder for the havenots to own or rent homes, they're not gonna make it easy to park a camper somewhere, either.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtssogood View Post
    Yup, that's gonna be the new normal, in lots of places. Nowadays people are even aspiring to live in tiny homes, which are just glorified campers. And of course, not only are the haves making it harder for the havenots to own or rent homes, they're not gonna make it easy to park a camper somewhere, either.
    It's about to get a whole lot worse before it gets better.

A house 2 doors away from me is selling. Big bucks so we'll see where it closes for my exit strategy. May have to pave over my pump track.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtssogood View Post
    I've camped in my adventure van (in cities, even), and it is simply stupid this isn't allowed more widely. It's so much lower impact to the environment than houses... less sq footage means less energy consumption and less stuff... you'd think it might catch on in the bay area. Except, the SFBA isn't about being actually having impact anymore, it's about winning the VC lottery and showing off your bling. RVs parked on El Camino don't fit the image.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I think I can concisely express my gripe with this area now: this is a great place to be alone among 7 million people. I've life hacked my way to making it career wise in the bay while still having time outside work, but very few others have. I go hit the trails or dirt jumps morning or late afternoon and you'd never guess so many people live here; the only people I run into are retired. Everyone else is stuck on 101 or in offices trying to make it big, or once they have family, keep their head above water. The peeps with non-office schedules I used to run into-- electricians, mechanics, etc-- they've left already.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Methinks the electricians and mechanics are working. The electricians at least are busy wiring up all the new construction. Even up here I can hear houses being built, and the city skyline is dotted with construction cranes. Mechanics should have plenty of work fixing all the fancy cars and those campers when they have to move every now and then.

V-Shaped Rut
    Does no one ski on this forum?
    Look a few posts up.

About campers parked, is it elitist to not want a makeshift trailer park on the side of every road with a wide enough shoulder? I wouldn't want that in my neighborhood either. Want to live in a trailer, I'm not looking down on you. But semi-permanently parking on the side of a public road and complaining about the man holding you down?

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Good article about it here:
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ornia-homeless

Personally I'm considering moving to Boulder in the next couple of months. The only thing keeping me in SF right now is my job.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Sequim could be an option for you. It is in the rain shadow and has a mild climate. I know of two people who retired/relocated up there around 2005 and they both love it there.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by alxrmrs View Post
    Good article about it here:
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ornia-homeless

Personally I'm considering moving to Boulder in the next couple of months. The only thing keeping me in SF right now is my job.
    Thank you!! Cool insight.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    For those on the thread that have already left, I made a gallery of what you're missing.

https://1drv.ms/a/s!ArD0suVV0QrRitcbWKmlWPasKjrAWQ

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by big_slacker View Post
    About campers parked, is it elitist to not want a makeshift trailer park on the side of every road with a wide enough shoulder? I wouldn't want that in my neighborhood either. Want to live in a trailer, I'm not looking down on you. But semi-permanently parking on the side of a public road and complaining about the man holding you down?
    I wouldn't want it on my street either, but when there's such a struggle to get more housing built... a parking lot of RVs sounds like it might work.

It's not so crazy, and not just for meth heads. Go past the Gilead parking lot and there are RVs in the back, assuming it's consultants who are there temporarily... why chew up an apartment that could go to a permanent local...

EDIT: the linked article is not very positive about RV living, but I would suggest people Google it. Don't think lots of people need the size and expense of traditional dwellings. But good luck getting the city of San Carlos or something to let you build a tiny house, for example.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by fitek View Post
    For those on the thread that have already left, I made a gallery of what you're missing.

At least on the weekend, you can escape to the mountain or the beach easily. Oh wait. Effed up getaway traffic too.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jan 2017

Commute time to work is one of the single biggest indicators in overall employee satisfaction at their job. This is one of the reasons I wouldn't buy property in the bay area. If I buy in SF then my next job is in Mountain View there is no way I would do that commute even if I had a tech shuttle to do it on. Just not worth it for me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I did research on commute times a few years back. IIRC over 25 minutes people get grumpy. I had a 1-2 hour commute in 2010 and man it sucked.

I've been working mostly in SSF since 2010 and have been able to dodge most traffic by working 7:30-3:45. However I now work in RWC and it doesn't seem to matter what I do. I can be stuck in traffic at 11am and 2pm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I did research on commute times a few years back. IIRC over 25 minutes people get grumpy. I had a 1-2 hour commute in 2010 and man it sucked.

I've been working mostly in SSF since 2010 and have been able to dodge most traffic by working 7:30-3:45. However I now work in RWC and it doesn't seem to matter what I do. I can be stuck in traffic at 11am and 2pm.
    Exactly. Plus if I want to ride in the morning no way I'm getting in by 7:30AM.

V-Shaped Rut
    I wouldn't want it on my street either, but when there's such a struggle to get more housing built... a parking lot of RVs sounds like it might work.

It's not so crazy, and not just for meth heads. Go past the Gilead parking lot and there are RVs in the back, assuming it's consultants who are there temporarily... why chew up an apartment that could go to a permanent local...

EDIT: the linked article is not very positive about RV living, but I would suggest people Google it. Don't think lots of people need the size and expense of traditional dwellings. But good luck getting the city of San Carlos or something to let you build a tiny house, for example.
    Like I said, I don't look down on people that want to live in a tiny home or RV at all. I romanticize that lifestyle a little actually, it's not much different than when I was a snowboard bum and split a $700/month condo with a friend and worked 2 days a week. In an alternate universe where I was still single I'd probably own a cheap (relatively) piece of land near the big tech company I work for, get power/sewer hookups and live in a winny travato or similar. Stack that ridiculous tech salary till it was FU money.

But yeah, affordable housing for working class folks in HCOL areas is an issue every such community has to deal with one way or another. Somebody has to wash the dishes, and at some point a 2 hour commute to do so isn't going to work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Update- I read this thread with interest 6 months ago when I was thinking about moving my family the hell out of here (peninsula). Main drivers being cost of living, allowing wife to be SAHM, and more laid back lifestyle (less work focus). We were checking out Denver, San Diego, and maybe Portland, partially driven by office footprint of my employer. I'm pretty happy with my employer in terms of pay vs work life balance.

we decided to stay put, or actually to move to Santa Cruz area. we settled in Scotts Valley but spend summer living in Soquel and Pleasure Point.

- San Diego - a bit conservative / suburban, and no trees! I hate long exposed rides :-/
    - Denver - wasn't getting much job traction, too suburban, long drive to nature and trails
    - Portland - I realized I really like sun. I am a grumpy sob on grey days!

So far I love our new spot. It seems like such a great idea with limited tradeoffs, I don't know why it took us so long to decide on this

- I have flexibility on commute. 3 days per week at off hours
    - way more laid back. slower. neighbors not just tech workers
    - great trails! 0.5 miles to trailhead. nice 12 mile circuit includes UCSC.
    - easy to get my kids out in nature. active mtb scene for youth
    - beaches! proven fact, oceans makes people happy and less stressed.
    - good schools, but not crazy intense pressure
    - access to great job market. I will have slightly less career prospects by limiting my office time, I really don't care in my older (36) years
    - still getting plugged in socially but people all seem really cool, lots of young families
    - "Santa Cruz is full of junkies" seems overblown. I've enjoyed my time downtown.

limited cons:
    - still expensive, but not more than most major cities on west coast
    - I haven't dealt with winter commute yet
    - no diversity. i mean it is seriously white here. (so are Portland, Denver and San Diego, generally)
    - no downtown or restaurants in Scotts Valley (but 10 mins to SC)

so, long story short, I agree with all the Bay Area cons, but the bay is a big place and I *think* we figured out how to make it work nicely for us

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Late to this thread, what got my attention is all the talk about Eastern WA.

We just moved from Wenatchee WA, home of Washington apples and Mission Ridge.

As much we loved Wenatchee; truly the nicest people and town anywhere, the dark and cold winters are tough. Think Alaska lite, inversions, temps below freezing for a couple months, not an easy place to be a biker.

West side has it's own issues, wet, cold, crowded, tons of competition for trails, and the typical not friendly urban culture.

If you're trying to leave the Bay Area, going to another urban areas is not gonna help you.

Pick a small town that has the balance of weather you desire and it's within driving distance to the goods.

We moved to Carson City, it's a most excellent place to live and work, big city twenty minutes away, riding in town nearly year round and amazing high Sierra riding six months out of the the year.

Yes, there's snow sports too

It's Tuesday night, we're eating pizza and listening to the Mile High Jazz band at Comma Cafe

A big fu to the Bay area, I left that place behind in 1984, and I ain't never going back. That place has been loved to death, the cool California of my yut is decades gone.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Good for you, I love Carson Valley and city...Great wildlife there as well, check out Eagles and Ag weekend in February! Would love to ride down there with you...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post

We moved to Carson City, it's a most excellent place to live and work, big city twenty minutes away, riding in town nearly year round and amazing high Sierra riding six months out of the the year.
    Wait a second. You just called Reno a ďbig cityĒ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I thought that was funny as well. I love Reno, we have a small house there, but one of the things I like about it is that it doesn't feel like a big city.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshmj View Post
    Update-
    limited cons:
    - no diversity. i mean it is seriously white here.
    what a douche...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Nozzle says what?

Professional Troll
    Seattle and Portland is San Francisco for quitters

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    IMO - Denver will soon merge with Colorado Springs to the south and Ft Collins in the north creating the largest continuous metro area in the USA @ 133 miles long and dunno 20 miles wide - with traffic that makes SF/LA look like a joke.

Access to the mountains is grossly impaired by narrow I-70 and other ways west. Residents refuse to raise taxes so everything is done by bonds and the pollution from commercial diesel and coal fired electric is intense.

always licking the glass

Want to leave Bay Area. Where to go?

Quote Originally Posted by lucky73 View Post
    IMO - Denver will soon merge with Colorado Springs to the south and Ft Collins in the north creating the largest continuous metro area in the USA @ 133 miles long and dunno 20 miles wide - with traffic that makes SF/LA look like a joke.

Access to the mountains is grossly impaired by narrow I-70 and other ways west. Residents refuse to raise taxes so everything is done by bonds and the pollution from commercial diesel and coal fired electric is intense.
    Traffic is bad everywhere in the country. Moving anywhere to escape traffic is a dumb move. Youíre not going to get away from it no matter where you live.

And I honestly donít think the Denver metro has the population density of either LA or the Bay Area. Seattle and Atlanta have horrible traffic tooóbut people still move there.

I moved to the Denver metro for health reasons (my lung capacity and asthma have improved significantly in the past year) and despite the amount of diesel traffic, the air quality here is much better than where I lived in San Jose.

Iím not sure Iíll be here for the rest of my life, but right now, it works for me.

And by no means is this area perfect. It definitely has its issues (I really wish theyíd tighten down on the coal rollers and the diesel exhaust and the damn fracking), but so does everywhere. Other issues here involve widening freeways, forest fires (much like California), schizophrenic weather, and there is a lot of rattlesnakes here.

Itís just a matter of what you need and what you can tolerate. This area isnít for everyone. For me, National Jewish Health as my asthma and allergy center (one of the top in North America), makes it worthwhile.

When we were looking to move, this was our criteria:
    - better air quality (specifically less particulate matter, which is what I react to)
    - a Japanese-American community
    - jobs (still important)
    - cheaper cost of living than San Jose
    - mountain biking accessibility
    - not Texas (allergies, humidity, and politics)
    - major airport (not puddle jumpers)

I donít ski or snowboard, but I do go up to the mountains during the summer for DH mountain biking. It works for me. I donít find the summer traffic bad, and considering I live an hour from Winter Park and 4-5 hours from Angel Fire, NM, Iím pretty happy.

I also donít live in the south area of Denver near the DTC. That area is congested and a bit claustrophobic and reminds me of all the negatives of being in San Jose.

But do you. If you dig California and the Bay Area, stay. For me, I do have to come back (friends and family to visit), and I have to make it to a Sharks game But because of the air quality, I can only be there in the short winter months.

February sucks in Colorado anyway. Itís too cold here then.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Biggest Little City

I went to UNR in the 80's, before the downtown went downhill. The college was quaint, the town was safe; I got a speeding ticket for skating skating down Virginia St!

Reno has really grown since I went to UNR; for a mountain city it's got some size without being overgrown like SLC or Denver. I have spent a fair amount of time in Denver and I'm in SLC all the time (kids live there).

Reno has everything you need with the traffic and competition for access, though Reno trails are kinda lame.

Carson City is the place to be, ride in town after work, lots of choices, never a crowd, go to Tahoe in the weekends for big hit and downhill.

[QUOTE=jonesjus;13373469]Wait a second. You just called Reno a ďbig cityĒ?

NedwannaB
    Carson City is the place to be, ride in town after work, lots of choices, never a crowd, go to Tahoe in the weekends for big hit and downhill
    Subscribed
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I have lived in many of the places talked about here: Boulder, Bay area, Reno and now Bend (grew up in Oregon). Positives and negatives to each, but I really enjoy living in Bend: Lots of trails, Good beer, dry pine forest weather, Mt.views.

My favorite place to live was Anchorage,but I love winter sports and I was there before Fat biking.It would be even better now.

I work over the internet, so I could live anywhere. Fun to explore new places.

Moderator Moderator
    I don't live in the Bay area, but if I did, I'd be looking at:
    -Northern NM. Santa Fe has insane riding and you can buy a nice 3/2 for $250k. Great skiing too.
    -Western MA. TONS of riding. Super, super cheap housing. Great beer scene. Downsides opioid/meth problems some places and not much sun in winter. Bugs in summer.
    -Moab. No, not joking. If you want a place in the nightly rental zone, it costs a fortune. If you want a place in the older part of town, it's cheap. Summers are a bit hot, winters are cold, but hell, you live in MOAB.
    -Grand Junction. Tons of riding. Great weather, low COL.

The challenge in most of those places is going to be jobs, but if you're selling a place in the Bay Area... you could probably work 15 hours a week at the bike shop and be fine swimming in your money pool Scrooge McDuck style.

FWIW, Boulder is a horrible town to live in if you like to mountain bike (that's why we left). Unless you get in a car for 30-60 minutes, there's really not much. Boulder is *basically* San Fran on the Rockies at this point. And Front Range crowding/air pollution is only going to get worse.

-Walt

always licking the glass

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    I don't live in the Bay area, but if I did, I'd be looking at:
    -Northern NM. Santa Fe has insane riding and you can buy a nice 3/2 for $250k. Great skiing too.
    -Western MA. TONS of riding. Super, super cheap housing. Great beer scene. Downsides opioid/meth problems some places and not much sun in winter. Bugs in summer.
    -Moab. No, not joking. If you want a place in the nightly rental zone, it costs a fortune. If you want a place in the older part of town, it's cheap. Summers are a bit hot, winters are cold, but hell, you live in MOAB.
    -Grand Junction. Tons of riding. Great weather, low COL.

The challenge in most of those places is going to be jobs, but if you're selling a place in the Bay Area... you could probably work 15 hours a week at the bike shop and be fine swimming in your money pool Scrooge McDuck style.

FWIW, Boulder is a horrible town to live in if you like to mountain bike (that's why we left). Unless you get in a car for 30-60 minutes, there's really not much. Boulder is *basically* San Fran on the Rockies at this point. And Front Range crowding/air pollution is only going to get worse.

-Walt
    If I knew about NM before moving to the front range, I would have looked very seriously into that. Taos and Albuquerque look really awesome.

Walt: Iím not sure where you live, but I had to drive to the trails in the Bay Area too. Itís not like there was anything near by Campbell for me, and we canít all afford to live in Los Atlos, Saratoga, or Los Gatos to be near the trails.

Since I donít primarily trail ride, Iím pretty happy living not in boulder but close enough to Ruby Hill and Valmont. During the summer, I go to Trestle or Angel Fire, NM.

So for me this works. Most of the trail riding I do is about an hour drive for me, but I have fireroads and plenty of paved trails right outside my house

As far as Boulder is concerned, itís good to visit but it would suck, chew, and blow to live there. Taxes are 12%, people are generally unfriendly, and itís very anti MTB. In a lot of ways it reminds me more of Portland. It also has Bay Area pricing.

But I go there for work (I usually work from home but go into the office on occasion) and to hit Valmont. That makes me happy.

The work attitude here is awesome. People actually expect you to go play outsideóespecially after putting in hard work. Otherwise, why are you in Colorado.

Being an hour from winter park, 5 from
    Angel Fire, 5 from Moab, and 30-60 minutes from some really nice trails that arenít being paved over and youíre not getting speeding tickets make this place work well for me.

But if you like to ride trails, there are a ton near castle rock and ken caryl on the south side of town. Plenty in Golden too. And thatís the local stuff. The gems are much longer of a drive, but I havenít checked them out yet.

So yeah if you can work remote and live anywhere you want, Iím pretty sure Denver isnít the ideal. My first choice is Asheville, NC but we couldnít make that work.

But there are tech jobs here, a major airport, and a place thatís pretty low key compared to the hot mess in the Bay Area.

I also totally get why people wouldnít like Denver or boulder if they were here before people started moving here for the pot. I got a lot of that when I moved here: ďare you moving for the pot?Ē

I bet that screwed up a lot here.

No, I moved here because I was sick all the time in California. Having my lung capacity go from 60% to 90% in a year is pretty awesome. Denver has a history of people moving here for improving their lungs (specifically tuberculosis).

Iím really hoping that the air does get better ó but with the politics being what they are, the air everywhere is likely to get worse

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluidworks View Post
    I made a move from Norcal, to Socal, and now to Tennessee. I'll never go back to California. Cost of living is dirt cheap (I just bought a three bedroom house on 3/4 of an acre for $93K), incredible riding everywhere, awesome food, and wonderful people.
    Where in Tennessee if I may ask? How's the humidity? What do you do for a living?
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

V-Shaped Rut
    Carson City is the place to be, ride in town after work, lots of choices, never a crowd, go to Tahoe in the weekends for big hit and downhill.
    It's weird to hear Carson City being spoken of in glowing terms. Till moving to the Seattle area I lived in Stateline/Zephyr cove and we always thought of carson for meth, walmart and politicians with the saving grace being Costco at the bottom of 50. Hot and windy inn the summer too.

I know there are now some bars and restaurants downtown and I know lots of my friends retreated from rising housing costs at the lake to the area south of Jacks Valley road. I just drove through there last month and it didn't look super different. But I bypassed downtown. Jobs?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Kinda seems to be the current outer edge of the bay area gentrification circle.

Moderator Moderator
    Oh, I live in Park City. We basically just wanted to live where the best riding/schools for the kids were. But I'm portable so that's easy. 500 miles of singletrack out the door, multiple great bikes parks/DJ spots, lift served access to tons of trails, and I haven't been in my car to go riding all year (except for trips to Moab, which is 4 hours).

That said, it's crazy expensive because it's a ski resort. We have gotten a lot of Bay area folks moving here, though. If it gets too crowded/crazy, we'll move to Santa Fe.

Boulder was a lot better in the 90s, but that's probably true of almost anywhere.

-Walt

L1MEY
    It's weird to hear Carson City being spoken of in glowing terms. Till moving to the Seattle area I lived in Stateline/Zephyr cove and we always thought of carson for meth, walmart and politicians with the saving grace being Costco at the bottom of 50. Hot and windy inn the summer too.

I know there are now some bars and restaurants downtown and I know lots of my friends retreated from rising housing costs at the lake to the area south of Jacks Valley road. I just drove through there last month and it didn't look super different. But I bypassed downtown. Jobs?
    You bypassed downtown... that's why it doesn't seem different. The whole downtown area has been redone, there are good bars, restaurants and free music concerts all summer, all within biking distance. Yeah, it's hot (but not unbearably so) and windy in the summer, but you're 15 minutes from the TRT at Spooner so who cares? I used to live in Sunridge/Indian Hills (that area on the south end of town) and moved into town this year. I much prefer being in town... it's closer to trails, work and downtown. Sunridge is a nice neighbourhood but there's nothing to do there and you really need a car to go anywhere unless you enjoy riding along 395.

Jobs? I work for the government, just like 50% of the population in Carson
    - Jen.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by mahgnillig View Post
    Are they hiring?!? I spent a little time in downtown/west part of town in mid June after riding Kings/Ash Canyon. I found it very inviting and will be headed back to check it out over all the coming pre-summer seasons. There is more than 2 of them, right? :0
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

L1MEY
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Are they hiring?!? I spent a little time in downtown/west part of town in mid June after riding Kings/Ash Canyon. I found it very inviting and will be headed back to check it out over all the coming pre-summer seasons. There is more than 2 of them, right? :0
    More than 2 seasons? Yes... sort of. Spring can be somewhat abrupt, and usually interrupted by winter at least once! A word to the wise: never go camping in Tahoe over Memorial Day weekend . Autumn has been perfect riding weather so far, with chilly mornings and warm afternoons. Winter will be anyone's guess... I'm hoping for another big one.
    - Jen.

V-Shaped Rut
    Quote Originally Posted by mahgnillig View Post
    You bypassed downtown... that's why it doesn't seem different. The whole downtown area has been redone, there are good bars, restaurants and free music concerts all summer, all within biking distance. Yeah, it's hot (but not unbearably so) and windy in the summer, but you're 15 minutes from the TRT at Spooner so who cares? I used to live in Sunridge/Indian Hills (that area on the south end of town) and moved into town this year. I much prefer being in town... it's closer to trails, work and downtown. Sunridge is a nice neighbourhood but there's nothing to do there and you really need a car to go anywhere unless you enjoy riding along 395.

Some friends in sunridge, some off of Johnson lane even further south. The great thing about that area is that it's pretty close to either kingsbury or 50 whichever way you want to get to the lake. And yeah, I figured government, it's like microsoft or amazon up here, half the town.

Anyway, I agree. I would rather live in Carson City vs the bay area. Less people, way cheaper houses and as you say a short drive to paradise. But I'd rather live at the lake if I was in the area. I know that introduces a lot of different problems like employment, snow, tourists, bears and so on. But still.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Want to leave Bay Area. Where to go?-sup2.jpg  

fc
    stoked Administrator
    San Jose: Housing advocates say rent has risen four times faster than wages ‚Äď The Mercury News

Rent has risen 4x faster than wages since 2009. And wages have risen pretty good.
    IPA will save America

always licking the glass
    San Jose: Housing advocates say rent has risen four times faster than wages ‚Äď The Mercury News

Rent has risen 4x faster than wages since 2009. And wages have risen pretty good.
    Wages for the Bay Area have been pretty stagnant for years. Thereís no way theyíre keeping up or even staying close enough for people to live there.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post
    Wages for the Bay Area have been pretty stagnant for years. Thereís no way theyíre keeping up or even staying close enough for people to live there.
    Software engineering salaries and stock compensation grew up a lot.

Paper or plastic?
    I have hired folks in accounting for a few years and wages have gone up. Not as fast as rent but they are up.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

fc
    stoked Administrator
    very true. The right tech jobs have crazy salary growth. And we're talking college entry-level jobs.

The study is for all jobs so the average is dragged down I'm sure.
    IPA will save America

always licking the glass
    I want to see figures from a reputable source. Otherwise, after living there from 2004-2016, I didnít see it.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    *You don't know what you got til it's gone?

Went to LA on business and then to Oceanside on personal/family business. I can honestly say the break from here made me realize one big thing. We got it pretty good. Granted, I got out the Thursday and Friday of the fires but I was in LA less than 45 minutes before I was like "Crap, I take it back, the Bay Area is NOTHING LIKE LA. Send me BACK HOME NOW."

To go less than a mile from the airport to the hotel took an hour and a half. To go from the hotel to the airport, to the Amtrak station took 3-1/2 hours. Hell, the Amtrak down the coast to Oceanside was the only thing other than the business lunch that was good and fun.

Quit complaining and make what ya got work for ya. Like people are saying, things are goofy everywhere. Make what ya got work because honestly with population size being what it is, and not stopping it's growth anytime soon, all you're gonna do is find a spot with a bit of time before things catch up to the way they are here now.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    *Not entirely off-topic, wouldn't it make solid business and economic sense to have people working different shifts in Silicon Valley? Seriously, does EVERYONE need to work the day shift? This is what greets you at 7am on the way to take highway 84 West.

Bumper to bumper NIMWS (Not In My Waiting Spot) aggro drivers. [Cagers]

I just laugh as I get to take a different route while they have to sit what, like 45 minutes just to finally creep past FB? Hell, if I had to deal with that I'd do what I did back when, ride my damned bike over the bridge West.

Think about it, simply have people work the mid and graveyard shifts. It'll spread the amount of people on the roads at any given time out and also create demand for stores, etc to be 24 hours again. I fail to understand why places like Tesla, Facebook, Amazon, etc all need people who work within the 6am to 6pm time frame. Set things up for people to work nights and graveyard like we had in the 80's and 90's and see if it works. For that matter, why can't some of this business be conducted more towards the Central Valley or other places? Why is it necessary for all the work to be so crammed in here people are commuting IN from Tracy/Etc? Hell, most of this is internet/tech. Umm, INTERNET!? Do the work OVER the internet, hell, have a skype meeting for crying out loud.

That or teleporters.

Or am I dreaming it's a reasonable patch?

V-Shaped Rut
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi View Post
    Do the work OVER the internet, hell, have a skype meeting for crying out loud.

That or teleporters.

Or am I dreaming it's a reasonable patch?
    I've been working on WFH scenarios since ISDN days and currently run VPN for one of the biggest tech companies in the world. Some companies have embraced this but far, far too many still have people drive on crowded freeways at arbitrary times to come and sit in a box to work. Even though their work is 80% typing on a keyboard and 20% meetings. Drives me insane.

There are jobs where you need to be physically present and keep regular hours. But a lot of office work generally doesn't need this.

always licking the glass
    I've been working on WFH scenarios since ISDN days and currently run VPN for one of the biggest tech companies in the world. Some companies have embraced this but far, far too many still have people drive on crowded freeways at arbitrary times to come and sit in a box to work. Even though their work is 80% typing on a keyboard and 20% meetings. Drives me insane.

There are jobs where you need to be physically present and keep regular hours. But a lot of office work generally doesn't need this.
    Nope. Iíve been working at home for about 10 years now (not as long as you), and I only go in the office to talk to people.

And working remote enabled me to move away and live where my lungs work again.

The Bay Area has a culture of mistrust: therefore you must sit at a desk and have someone monitor you as you work. Not really healthy, especially after having to sit in traffic for god knows how long.

I had to leave before 6am to get to San Mateo from San Jose. And I had to leave at the latest 2pm or I would get caught in traffic. Itís only a matter of time before the traffic there gets as bad as Los Angeles.

mtbr member
    The only easy day was yesterday.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by guvna View Post
    We are considering Boise too. Top 5 in order 1. Park City 2. Front Range - Lakewood, Morrison 3.Boise 4. Bend 5.Colorado Springs
    We have friends in all of these areas [most in Utah] but friends who don't live there but have spent time in Boise really like it!
    The only negative about living in Boise is the inversions that happen in winter sometimes (and the winter itself since I'm not a really a cold weather person). But even with inversions, one only has to drive up the ski hill a few miles to enjoy bluebird conditions. I will always have a permanent address in Boise. Access to a couple of hundred miles of trails is literally 1/4 mile away from house and I live less than 1 mile away from the center of downtown. When I'm home, I never have to drive.

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho View Post
    The only negative about living in Boise is the inversions that happen in winter sometimes (and the winter itself since I'm not a really a cold weather person). But even with inversions, one only has to drive up the ski hill a few miles to enjoy bluebird conditions. I will always have a permanent address in Boise. Access to a couple of hundred miles of trails is literally 1/4 mile away from house and I live less than 1 mile away from the center of downtown. When I'm home, I never have to drive.
    How long is your winter there and what temps do you get?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    How long is your winter there and what temps do you get?

It varies but in general, it gets cold starting mid November and it is cold until late March. Temps vary from a high of 30's to 50's to pretty freakin' cold as soon as the sun goes down. Having said that, the skiing is good and affordable (and Bogus Basin is just 16 miles from town) if you're into that kinda thing. I tried Nordic skiing. It didn't stick. This island boy likes warmth.

The summers are glorious. To put it into perspective, I work in the Bay Area and we have a home on the East Bay. But almost every weekend from June to late October, I go home to Boise to ride there and the surrounding are (Stanley/Ketchum/Sun Valley). Of course, from late October to June, nothing beats Santa Cruz/Santa Rosa riding.

Just my $.02 of course.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    .... But almost every weekend from June to late October, I go home to Boise to ride there and the surrounding are (Stanley/Ketchum/Sun Valley). Of course, from late October to June, nothing beats Santa Cruz/Santa Rosa riding.

Just my $.02 of course.

Private jet? How long is that flight? That is a lot of airplane time.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Private jet? How long is that flight? That is a lot of airplane time.
    Just an hour direct flight from SFO. Or a 9 hour drive from San Ramon. Luckily, work pays for my flights

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Just an hour direct flight from SFO. Or a 9 hour drive from San Ramon. Luckily, work pays for my flights
    An hour??? That is awesome. The hardest part is prolly getting to SFO... and parking.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    An hour??? That is awesome. The hardest part is prolly getting to SFO... and parking.
    Yep, 1 hour and a few minutes to BOI. It's only a 600 mile drive if I remember correctly. The drive to SFO from the East Bay actually takes longer than the actual flight most days.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    You can check out any time you want
    But you can never leaveWant to leave Bay Area. Where to go?-sjm-l-boxouse-10xx-8.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Just waiting for my youngest to finish college and we are gone. We checked out just about everywhere west of Denver over the last few years. We are pretty set on N. Arizona, probably Prescott area. We like Boise and few towns in CO but we figured we would have to leave for extended times in the winter.

We love it here but cost is #1 reason we are going.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Two stories today:

Silicon Valley's homeless: Everyday workers in shadow of tech affluence
    - the new bay area homeless

The 10 Richest Counties In America 2017 | Forbes
    - Santa Clara top 10 median income even with almost 2 million people
    IPA will save America

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quite depressing really. But it seems that Seattle reached a critical mass to pull away the tech investment, so we don't grow as crazy fast. Maybe it will settle down then.
    Portland next.

orthonormal
    I want to see figures from a reputable source. Otherwise, after living there from 2004-2016, I didnít see it.
    I'm not going to provide specifics or anything you can reference but salaries are up in the semiconductor space as well. We adjusted salaries significantly upward in the Fall 2016 review cycle but we were late to the party and lost a lot of people to offers 10-20% above their current pay. Fall 2017 is looking pretty good as well.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Nope. Iíve been working at home for about 10 years now (not as long as you), and I only go in the office to talk to people.
    I did that for 16 years (retired now).

The Bay Area has a culture of mistrust: therefore you must sit at a desk and have someone monitor you as you work.
    More a matter of corporate culture I think. Didn't see that at Cisco.

Where are you (and your employer) now?

I had to leave before 6am to get to San Mateo from San Jose. And I had to leave at the latest 2pm or I would get caught in traffic.
    I would totally be on Caltrain for that commute.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    We just published this awesome read:

How the Seattle area became a must-ride MTB locale - Mtbr.com

The author had dual-residence in Santa Cruz and Seattle to optimize riding conditions. He said he just sold his Santa Cruz home.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    We just published this awesome read:

How the Seattle area became a must-ride MTB locale - Mtbr.com

The author had dual-residence in Santa Cruz and Seattle to optimize riding conditions. He said he just sold his Santa Cruz home.
    This is what I'm planning to do in a few years when my kids go to college. My plan is to build a house in Kauai, keep my properties in Palo Alto, and probably buy something in either Santa Cruz or Seattle area.
    The only easy day was yesterday.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    The 14-day forecast shows the average high in Seattle in the mid-40's with at least a 50% chance of rain for all but 2 days. No thanks. Most people from CA can't handle a PNW "winter" (November-March).

fc
    stoked Administrator
    The 14-day forecast shows the average high in Seattle in the mid-40's with at least a 50% chance of rain for all but 2 days. No thanks. Most people from CA can't handle a PNW "winter" (November-March).
    There is that weather issue huh?

I checked Bellingham and it's the same deluge.

Santa Cruz and San Luis Obispo are good for weather.
    IPA will save America

V-Shaped Rut
    People will tell you to just get rain gear and go outside. I prefer to have alternate winter sports and enjoy those instead of trying to force MTB in the wet and muck. The trails are super well designed (see the article above) and drain quickly. So if there is sun I go ride bikes, if it's cold and rainy I drive 45 minutes to alpental and get some pow! Or indoor rock climbing, swimming, etc.

Regardless, yes it's miserable in the winter and you don't see the sun for weeks.

Dream it, Do it.
    Yup, that's why trails on a winter morning before 10:30 or so are wide open.

A little rain
    Some Gore-tex
    Empty Singletrack...Priceless
    Dirt Merchant Bikes

V-Shaped Rut
    Yup, that's why trails on a winter morning before 10:30 or so are wide open.

A little rain
    Some Gore-tex
    Empty Singletrack...Priceless
    I rode grand ridge yesterday starting at 8:30am or so. I literally didn't see a single other mountain biker until the long bridge before the final climb to duthie. Total people I saw the entire ride including hikers I could count on my hands. And it didn't even rain till later.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    We do have gems! Just got to look at the positive and past the warts.

In-depth: Where can you find houses for under $500,000 in the Bay Area? | KRON4.com

Close to trails, cupertino schools, no AC needed in Stevens Canyon.

Want to leave Bay Area. Where to go?-screen-shot-2017-11-17-8.45.54-am.jpg

This is one of two in Santa Clara County.
    IPA will save America

always licking the glass

We do have gems! Just got to look at the positive and past the warts.

In-depth: Where can you find houses for under $500,000 in the Bay Area? | KRON4.com

Close to trails, cupertino schools, no AC needed in Stevens Canyon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 8.45.54 AM.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	1168038

This is one of two in Santa Clara County.
    And it will go for 300k over asking, if youíre lucky.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    And it will go for 300k over asking, if youíre lucky.
    Now that's a good one Sripes! As is, no inspection or contingencies.
    IPA will save America

AD
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Near some of the best trails in the UK where you'll rub shoulders with many of the UK's best mountain bikers.

3 bedroom semi-detached house for sale in Peaslake Lane, Peaslake, Guildford, GU5

1 hour from London on the train

Just need some wellies, a brolly and some warm clothes!

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Hellish traffic from Roseville to Salinas

Want to leave Bay Area. Where to go?-screen-shot-2017-11-17-5.42.01-pm.png
    IPA will save America

always licking the glass
    Now that's a good one Sripes! As is, no inspection or contingencies.
    When some POS house in Sunnyvale goes for $800k over asking, what makes you think this wonít? Itís the dirt and location thatís valuable. Thereís not enough inventory there.

my body breaks the falls
    But that's true in just about any metro area - especially tonight.

I'll sound like a nut job saying this, but I have REALLY enjoyed my time in Alabama. Seriously. The mountain biking there is awesome, the cars go 75+ on the freeway (don't you dare go under 70 or a big rig will run you down), the people (at least to your face) seem to be super nice, there's no crowding in checkout lines or encroaching in your personal space, it's please and thank you, ma'am and sir and everything is cheaper.

But the mountain biking? Wow. Oak Mountain State Park? Yes please. Coldwater Mountain. Sure. I only know of this because I have a kid at Alabama and one at Clemson (yes, college football weekends are conflicting), but I was instantly impressed with the quality of trails, accessibility and attitude. At Oak Mountain there are trails built FOR the user groups BY the user groups. That's how they got 50 miles of trails. Even the little local neighborhood parks have trails in them.

I've only stayed for up to 10 days at a time which isn't really enough to learn what sucks, but if we're talking MTB trails as the top criteria, I'm headed to Pelham, buying a 5 bed 3 bath house for $400K and riding Oak Mountain. I won't need to work at those prices. #cashout
    $500 million for more irresponsible EBRPD land management? No thanks.
    www.noonmeasureww.org

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by twindaddy View Post
    But that's true in just about any metro area - especially tonight.

I'll sound like a nut job saying this, but I have REALLY enjoyed my time in Alabama. Seriously. The mountain biking there is awesome, the cars go 75+ on the freeway (don't you dare go under 70 or a big rig will run you down), the people (at least to your face) seem to be super nice, there's no crowding in checkout lines or encroaching in your personal space, it's please and thank you, ma'am and sir and everything is cheaper.

But the mountain biking? Wow. Oak Mountain State Park? Yes please. Coldwater Mountain. Sure. I only know of this because I have a kid at Alabama and one at Clemson (yes, college football weekends are conflicting), but I was instantly impressed with the quality of trails, accessibility and attitude. At Oak Mountain there are trails built FOR the user groups BY the user groups. That's how they got 50 miles of trails. Even the little local neighborhood parks have trails in them.

I've only stayed for up to 10 days at a time which isn't really enough to learn what sucks, but if we're talking MTB trails as the top criteria, I'm headed to Pelham, buying a 5 bed 3 bath house for $400K and riding Oak Mountain. I won't need to work at those prices. #cashout
    And you get Roy Moore for senator. Never ending entertainment.

my body breaks the falls
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    And you get Roy Moore for senator. Never ending entertainment.
    I'll take him over Feinstein any day, but I am a white male (which probably explains a lot about my post).
    $500 million for more irresponsible EBRPD land management? No thanks.
    www.noonmeasureww.org

always licking the glass

always licking the glass

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 5.42.01 PM.png 
Views:	38 
Size:	201.8 KB 
ID:	1168097
    And that green near Vacaville is going to go away soon:
    Bay Area exiles are transforming Sacramento

I have no idea why Bay Area companies are so against telecommuters. It's going to be the point where you're going to end up with brain drain because people can't afford or want to live there anymore. I couldn't imagine commuting from Sac to SF or SJ daily. Shoot, I couldn't imagine doing it on a Saturday morning by the time I left either.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345