Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post
    By health, I mean asthma. I'm pretty reactive to my allergies and particulate matter. My asthma is so bad in the Bay Area and along the central coast that I really can't even visit during the summer. I'll be back but only during the cooler and wetter months.
    The Allergy Clinic in San Mateo has done wonders for my wife's asthma and the allergies that used to set it off.

always licking the glass

Want to leave Bay Area. Where to go?

Quote Originally Posted by andytiedye View Post
    The Allergy Clinic in San Mateo has done wonders for my wife's asthma and the allergies that used to set it off.
    I love my allergy doc in Saratoga--she was amazing, and I miss her. The problem is I was spending more time in her office than out of it. Anywhere from 1 time a month to multiple times a week. That was my last 4 years in the Bay Area.

She also agreed that the move out of the area to Denver was a good idea. People used to move here to cure lung diseases like tuberculosis.

http://www.cpr.org/news/story/how-tu...lorados-growth

I used to get allergy shots for the past 4 years (I may have to go back to that, but no biggie), had a sinus infection every 2-3 months, and bronchitis at least annually.

Asthma attacks were frequent, and I was on an inhaler twice a day for maintenance year round, plus a rescue inhaler. Pedaling uphill was a real nightmare for me.

Now, I've been here since October. The last time I had a sinus infection is right after moving here, and it barely lasted a week. And I'm on a maintenance inhaler, but only for spring and summer as opposed to year round.

And I've only seen my allergy doctor once since I've moved. I still have allergies but not nearly at the severity I used to, and I've had only one asthma attack since moving.

I'm not kidding when I say I moved because of my health. The good days where I didn't hurt were getting less frequent than the bad days.

Trail Gnome Moderator
    I'm moving to Spain...I hear the ladies are insane there

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    everything you heard is true!

Want to leave Bay Area. Where to go?-54d3c0391143d_-_esq110114swa0006-xln.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    We NEED to hear from these OTHER towns now. Bend, Portland, Truckee, Denver, East Coast.

How is it really in the winter?
    Some thoughts on the east coast:

Boston area/New England - Good job market and a growing economy in Boston. Outside of Boston and a few other bigger cities, New England is not doing so great economically. In Boston, the housing market is pretty expensive. There are still a good places, but the closer you get to the city, the more expensive the housing. If you want a decent/safe neighborhood thats convenient to the city, the city you choose will greatly change the cost of housing. For example, here are the median home prices for boston and a few surrounding towns that provide easy access to the jobs in the city:
    Boston - $475k, but this is dragged down by dorchester/east boston where you probably don't want to live. For nicer parts of Boston/Brookline, expect to pay over $1m
    Cambridge - $1.3m
    Newton - $1.1m
    Melrose - $500k
    Somerville - $725k

Weather or how bad is it compared to the Bay Area
    There are four real seasons here, unlike the bay area.
    Winter, which goes from October/November to March/April, and any weekend can bring a foot of snow, or just rain/sleet. For people who love winter sports it sounds nice, except its a few hour drive to the closest decent mountain and there is no such thing as powder out here. I quit snowboarding after a few winters because I hated it. I think the most popular winter outdoor activity here is waiting for train/bus. Most popular winter sports here are probably talking about Tom Brady/Patriots or shoveling. Honestly, the winters here can really wear on you, its 4-6 months of cold/wet/snow with very little sun. Unless you have a driveway, get ready to defend your parking space with your life or spend hours searching before giving up, parking wherever and paying when your car inevitably gets towed/ticketed/hit by plow. Seriously, parking in Boston is the worst, just pay the $35-$50 garages will gouge you for.

Spring, which is muddy season, it lasts around a month. Spring is nice because usually it means no more snow, but then again, sometimes we get blizzards in April. All the huge snowbanks melt and you can start to see all the trash/cars that got buried five months earlier.

Summer, which is nice but can be humid (not south-humid, but still uncomfortable sometimes). New Englanders drag their pasty white selves into the woods ntil they get ticks, then they go home and reminisce about the 2004 red sox season. All the students leave, which means Traffic gets better and the city seems empty. You can usually pick up awesome things the students leave behind, free furniture, bikes, dreams of changing the world. You can get cheap rent in apartments in the city over the summer.

Fall, which is amazing and can't be matched anywhere. If you ever get the chance, spend a few weeks in September/October in rural New England. I'm told the leaves are amazing, but I wouldnt know since I'm red-green colorblind.

Accessibility and quality of mountain biking available
    Riding-wise, there is some decent riding all within 1-hr of the city but it's not going to be like anything you ride out west. Rides may have 800-1000 ft of elevation change, all in 5-20 ft hills. Technical out here is a completely different ball game than out west, rocks and roots everywhere. People praise a trail for flow if it has 100 ft of non-rocky-rooty turns. Riding in New England can be frustrating but it will make you a better rider. We have kingdom trails, which are nice, but 3-4 hours away from any decent job market (Burlington doesn't count), highland and thunder mountain aren't whistler or mammoth, but still can get the job done.

They say the people in Boston are rude, or reserved. They're not, they just don't give a shit about you and your life. All they care about are the patriots/red sox (celtics/bruins to a lesser extent) and getting on with their own lives. It's not that they don't like you, or don't like tourists, they just don't care. This is probably the reason drivers in Boston area are terrible, it's not that they dislike the other drivers on the road, they just don't care.

Outdoor and other nature activities
    The mountains are nice here, but be prepared to be dissapointed if you're coming from the rockies/cascades. Lots of hiking and a surprisingly high number of really nice beaches including some with some decent breaks for surfing. Road biking in Boston area sucks, mostly due to the drivers and the crappy roads. If you can get out of the area, Vermont/NH/Maine have some nice hills/road rides but it's not for me.

Quality of people and of culture, education and racial tolerance
    New England is described as a bastion of liberal America so take that as you will. Personally I have found the people in New England to be more racist here than anywhere else except Idaho/Eastern Oregon. There is a lot of diversity in the city, but it is one of the most segregated cities in the U.S. White liberals are all for racial equality and progressive racial policies, but not in their neighborhoods.

Good affordable food? Burrito? Beeeeer?
    New England/Boston has some decent beer and a pretty lively food scene. Portland, ME is worth the trip for lobsters and the food there. Boston has its fair share of good restaurants. No mexican food/burritos. Friends from the west coast are always dissapointed in our mexican offerings.

Infrastructure and climate for raising kids
    I'm raising my daughter here and there are a ton of parks/activities for kids in the area.

Paper or plastic?
    BTW last winter in Truckee was brutal, with a one week stretch of no electricity for many folks.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Well, we need to talk a little more about this...how are you making a living? Why a spanish can't do that job? #makespaingreatagain

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by beaverbiker View Post
    For real. I could never live anywhere where it snows all winter. I like to be about 25min down the hill from snowline.
    That is why I left Truckee (after leaving the Bay Area) and moved to Reno. I can watch it snowing on Mt Rose while blue skies are overhead.

Here's a short article in the local paper. I bet it could be about many of the towns mentioned in this thread.

So you want to move to Reno? 8 things you need to know first

http://www.rgj.com/story/life/2017/0...rst/486645001/

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dompedro3 View Post
    Some thoughts on the east coast:

Boston area/New England - Good job market and a growing economy in Boston. Outside of Boston and a few other bigger cities, New England is not doing so great economically. In Boston, the housing market is pretty expensive. There are still a good places, but the closer you get to the city, the more expensive the housing. If you want a decent/safe neighborhood thats convenient to the city, the city you choose will greatly change the cost of housing. For example, here are the median home prices for boston and a few surrounding towns that provide easy access to the jobs in the city:
    Boston - $475k, but this is dragged down by dorchester/east boston where you probably don't want to live. For nicer parts of Boston/Brookline, expect to pay over $1m
    Cambridge - $1.3m
    Newton - $1.1m
    Melrose - $500k
    Somerville - $725k

Weather or how bad is it compared to the Bay Area
    There are four real seasons here, unlike the bay area.
    Winter, which goes from October/November to March/April, and any weekend can bring a foot of snow, or just rain/sleet. For people who love winter sports it sounds nice, except its a few hour drive to the closest decent mountain and there is no such thing as powder out here. I quit snowboarding after a few winters because I hated it. I think the most popular winter outdoor activity here is waiting for train/bus. Most popular winter sports here are probably talking about Tom Brady/Patriots or shoveling. Honestly, the winters here can really wear on you, its 4-6 months of cold/wet/snow with very little sun. Unless you have a driveway, get ready to defend your parking space with your life or spend hours searching before giving up, parking wherever and paying when your car inevitably gets towed/ticketed/hit by plow. Seriously, parking in Boston is the worst, just pay the $35-$50 garages will gouge you for.

Spring, which is muddy season, it lasts around a month. Spring is nice because usually it means no more snow, but then again, sometimes we get blizzards in April. All the huge snowbanks melt and you can start to see all the trash/cars that got buried five months earlier.

Summer, which is nice but can be humid (not south-humid, but still uncomfortable sometimes). New Englanders drag their pasty white selves into the woods ntil they get ticks, then they go home and reminisce about the 2004 red sox season. All the students leave, which means Traffic gets better and the city seems empty. You can usually pick up awesome things the students leave behind, free furniture, bikes, dreams of changing the world. You can get cheap rent in apartments in the city over the summer.

Fall, which is amazing and can't be matched anywhere. If you ever get the chance, spend a few weeks in September/October in rural New England. I'm told the leaves are amazing, but I wouldnt know since I'm red-green colorblind.

Accessibility and quality of mountain biking available
    Riding-wise, there is some decent riding all within 1-hr of the city but it's not going to be like anything you ride out west. Rides may have 800-1000 ft of elevation change, all in 5-20 ft hills. Technical out here is a completely different ball game than out west, rocks and roots everywhere. People praise a trail for flow if it has 100 ft of non-rocky-rooty turns. Riding in New England can be frustrating but it will make you a better rider. We have kingdom trails, which are nice, but 3-4 hours away from any decent job market (Burlington doesn't count), highland and thunder mountain aren't whistler or mammoth, but still can get the job done.

They say the people in Boston are rude, or reserved. They're not, they just don't give a shit about you and your life. All they care about are the patriots/red sox (celtics/bruins to a lesser extent) and getting on with their own lives. It's not that they don't like you, or don't like tourists, they just don't care. This is probably the reason drivers in Boston area are terrible, it's not that they dislike the other drivers on the road, they just don't care.

Outdoor and other nature activities
    The mountains are nice here, but be prepared to be dissapointed if you're coming from the rockies/cascades. Lots of hiking and a surprisingly high number of really nice beaches including some with some decent breaks for surfing. Road biking in Boston area sucks, mostly due to the drivers and the crappy roads. If you can get out of the area, Vermont/NH/Maine have some nice hills/road rides but it's not for me.

Quality of people and of culture, education and racial tolerance
    New England is described as a bastion of liberal America so take that as you will. Personally I have found the people in New England to be more racist here than anywhere else except Idaho/Eastern Oregon. There is a lot of diversity in the city, but it is one of the most segregated cities in the U.S. White liberals are all for racial equality and progressive racial policies, but not in their neighborhoods.

Good affordable food? Burrito? Beeeeer?
    New England/Boston has some decent beer and a pretty lively food scene. Portland, ME is worth the trip for lobsters and the food there. Boston has its fair share of good restaurants. No mexican food/burritos. Friends from the west coast are always dissapointed in our mexican offerings.

Infrastructure and climate for raising kids
    I'm raising my daughter here and there are a ton of parks/activities for kids in the area.
    As a 46yr old that's got two kids about to get to college age I spend a lot of time reading forums like this and planning vacations around scouting areas for possible relocation. I just got back from SFO and while the weather was amazing I don't think it will make the cut for a varity of reasons, cost of living and trail restrictions right up at the top of the list.

As a lifelong New Englander, I feel compelled to add to this post above. It's good. I disagree with the racism bit but the sports stuff is spot on. Go Pats! Go Sawks!

First off, you'll note the snark. Get used to it. That's how it is here, present company included. People here aren't phony for the most part and will rip you straight off the top. If you're not from here it may come off as rude or callous but I've had friends move back here from the West that said people were nicer there but when shit got real they were no where to be seen, while their New England friends always had their back even if they could be assholes.

People are very loyal to their family/friends/places of birth as well. There are lots of the posts here that talk about insane growth in Bend and other cool towns and sure, there is some creep outward from BOS and NYC but there are entire families with generations of aunts, cousins, brothers and sisters living in the same neighborhood that NEVAH, EVAH MOVE. This is sometimes very good and sometimes very bad.

I don't think anyone really dreams of relocating here: you either grew up here or end up here because you married a chic from Chelsea that could never live more than 15 minutes from Ma. Or you work in bio-tech or insurance.

I'm not sure why you'd ever expect to find good Mexican food in Boston (or worry about the quality of Mexican where ever you were relocating but whatever). We have Mexican food, it's serviceable. I had it in California a few times and it was better sure but not world's better. Not sell the house and move to the West coast better. I can tell you the clam chowder in SFO sucked balls. Tried three different places, horrible. Like warm mayonnaise. We have great seafood, world class Italian and pretty amazing Vietnamese outside of the busiest parts of the city.

The guy above appears to live in the city (Boston) and I can't speak to much of that. I'm 45 minutes west of there in a small NE farm town of about 6,000. It's a farm town by central Massachusetts standards, which really means that there are 5 or 6 cow farms or corn fields and everyone else just owns a home and drives somewhere else to work.

The best parts of living outside of the city in NE:
    1) Fall: Seriously, it's amesome. Cool, beautiful, dry. Best three months of the year.
    2) Access: I'm 60 minutes from Boston and Hartford (pharma, health, and financial sectors hello), 30 from PVD, 20 from Worcester (ok nevermind that), 60 to an extensive amount and variety of coastline, 60 to smaller mountains, 2 hrs to medium mountains. Two major and three regional airports if you travel. This access thing is true essentially anywhere in RI, CT, Central and Eastern Mass, southern NH and even southern ME obviously with different times to get to those places but nothing ridiculous. That is a huge area with a lot of different housing, employment, transportation, and geographical options.
    3) Medical/Education: It's about as good as it gets here. This is the place you want to get sick and get some smarts up in ya.
    4) Cycling: Road especially, and it gets exponentially better as you go West towards NY State.

Worst parts
    1) Humidity: this is my personal gripe but it's a big one. June-August you will sweat sitting still in the shade. I've heard the south is worse but that seems unpossible (& also why the south isn't on our must see list)
    2) Not Scenic: sure, the coast is nice (especially Cape Cod and Mid-Coast Maine) and the mountains are fine but it's pretty flat and uninteresting here in mid-state Mass. There are streams and lakes and some rolling hills but until the leaves change color it's nothing special. Google "Franklin Massachusetts" for an idea, you'll notice a distinct lack of breathtaking sights.
    3) Wet snow: It's a bitch. That humidity drives our warm but snowy and damp Winters and sometimes the stuff falls out of the sky and freezes on contact. Worse yet is the 6" snow storm that turns to rain overnight and compacts down to 4" of slush, with a temp drop the next day to 10*. If you don't get that cleared, it stays for months.

As for mountain biking...
    It's rooty, rocky, and punchy. There are a lot of trails in my town. People in the city generally have to drive out, I don't. Tons of good options and everything is legal I guess it's generally not an issue. We suffer from lack of epic views but make up for it in technical challenge. KT is 3.5 hours away and worth every second of the drive.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    What town? We used to live in Bolton before we moved to the Bay Area.

One big upside you forgot to mention is the seafood. Lobster fresh off the boat and a dozen kinds of fish we don't get out here.

Big downside, the Mosquito Air Force. I sure don't miss that!

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    What town? We used to live in Bolton before we moved to the Bay Area.

One big upside you forgot to mention is the seafood. Lobster fresh off the boat and a dozen kinds of fish we don't get out here.

Big downside, the Mosquito Air Force. I sure don't miss that!

If you're asking me the answer is Sutton, south of the Woo about as far as Bolton is North.

I mentioned seafood, it's great here. Amazing. We figured the seafood in SF would be good. It wasn't. A friend of my wife has lived in Richmond CA for 16 years and she says it wasn't a coincidence: Bay Area seafood is terrible. She stuffs herself silly when she's home.

Yeah our mosquitoes are horrible, but I mitigate my exposure to them with lots of AC time and extra tire sealant. Do not flat on a MTB ride in August in NE if you are under the tree canopy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I recall those skeeters are quite capable of putting the bite on a moving target. Not much impressed by insect repellent either.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    In 27+ years, with diligent saving, our kids can afford a...... downpayment!

https://www.abodo.com/blog/millennial-homebuyers/

Want to leave Bay Area. Where to go?-millennialhomebuyers_graphic4_june2017.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Provo, Utah less affordable than Boston and just below New York City??

California is expensive because so many people want to live here.
    You can blame "techies" for making too much money
    or NIMBYS for not letting developers build highrises everywhere
    or speculators for bidding the prices sky-high
    but the real issue is water.

There isn't enough water in California for the number of people who want to live here and all the food we grow here.
    Last edited by andytiedye; 07-25-2017 at 11:38 AM.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    There is plenty of water for people. Almond farming and their workers can go elsewhere.

Would be even more water if they did not spend money on pet graft projects like that rail and what not.

But then I look at all the offices being built along 101. So dumb. Who will commute and how. :/

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Part of "that rail" project is electrification and other upgrades to Caltrain, which would help to answer that question.

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    There is plenty of water for people. Almond farming and their workers can go elsewhere.

Would be even more water if they did not spend money on pet graft projects like that rail and what not.

But then I look at all the offices being built along 101. So dumb. Who will commute and how. :/
    Executives live in Saratoga, Monte sereno and won't commute ...

always licking the glass
    Provo, Utah less affordable than Boston and just below New York City??

California is expensive because so many people want to live here.
    You can blame "techies" for making too much money
    or NIMBYS for not letting developers build highrises everywhere
    or speculators for bidding the prices sky-high
    but the real issue is water.

There isn't enough water in California for the number of people who want to live here and all the food we grow here.
    Even as a techie, San Jose was being unaffordable. Salaries do not keep up with expenses, and tech companies are more than happy to age me out and have young people who don't mind living 6 to an apartment to live in the Bay Area.

I can't imagine getting out of school and moving to California. I did that in 1997, and it's far more expensive now than it was then. And the salaries don't and can't keep up.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Part of "that rail" project is electrification and other upgrades to Caltrain, which would help to answer that question.
    Except it would not. Caltrain does not go to the East Bay. There is no reliable transport from stations to office parks. And all the money are wasted near Bakersfield, and it will choke off long before it gets to Bay Area.
    I am amused anybody can actually defend this waste.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Except it would not. Caltrain does not go to the East Bay. There is no reliable transport from stations to office parks. And all the money are wasted near Bakersfield, and it will choke off long before it gets to Bay Area.
    I am amused anybody can actually defend this waste.
    Caltrain could go to the East Bay. They own a railroad bridge across the Bay. It needs some work, but could provide for a branch that would connect to BART In the East Bay.

Many employers run shuttles from the train stations.
    The trains also accept bicycles.

If you don't want to upgrade the rail lines, then what would you suggest?
    Building more housing near the offices would help, but won't solve the problem--
    How often do husband and wife work in the same facility?

Paper or plastic?
    Ace goes from San Jose to the east bay

Axe
    Custom User Title
    The only reasonable thing that may happen in the foreseeable future with above zero probability and no waste of taxpayer money is to stop building more offices.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by myette10 View Post
    If you're asking me the answer is Sutton, south of the Woo about as far as Bolton is North.

I mentioned seafood, it's great here. Amazing. We figured the seafood in SF would be good. It wasn't. A friend of my wife has lived in Richmond CA for 16 years and she says it wasn't a coincidence: Bay Area seafood is terrible. She stuffs herself silly when she's home.

Yeah our mosquitoes are horrible, but I mitigate my exposure to them with lots of AC time and extra tire sealant. Do not flat on a MTB ride in August in NE if you are under the tree canopy.
    You're right that New England is rarely a "pick up and move there because it's awesome" place. People come out here for jobs, school, to be with a native New Englander. All three dragged me here from Oregon.

I forgot the seafood. OMG it is amazing. I love going to Maine and getting lobsters at less than $10/lb right off the boat, or down to the pier in Boston to get my own sushi-grade fish.

Oh, one more thing that's terrible about New England: Greenhead/marsh flies. Mosquitos are annoying and leave itchy welts, greenheads rip your skin and suck out your blood, here's a description I found online of their eating habit:
    Their mouth parts include two sharp tools that look much like a pair of scissors. They jam those mandibles straight into your flesh. Then flex outwards severing every capillary and vein with which they come into contact. They use a salivary pump to douse the wound with an anticoagulant chemical. Then they use a syringe-like device that in their mouth to start sucking up your blood. All this happens in a split second. Then they are flying away full of your blood.

And these aren't small flies (1/4-1/2"), those mandibles will leave a visible puncture that will bleed.

Here's a thread that shows one way to try and prevent them when riding: Do you hate deer flies?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    The only reasonable thing that may happen in the foreseeable future with above zero probability and no waste of taxpayer money is to stop building more offices.
    That would help, though employers would respond by packing more people into the offices they have.

Do you consider ALL rail to be a waste of taxpayer money?

Hella Olde
    The whole West Coast is assed-out like a teenage runaway on Polk Street (in 1987 - even that metaphor has changed - sigh).

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by myette10 View Post
    People here aren't phony for the most part and will rip you straight off the top. If you're not from here it may come off as rude or callous but I've had friends move back here from the West that said people were nicer there but when shit got real they were no where to be seen, while their New England friends always had their back even if they could be assholes.
    Ok people I have some first hand evidence for you.

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/ra...GPFYhggPe1E.99

This happened in New England last night to a guy that's got a pretty big ego (but maybe hasn't reached full douchebag status). Not necessarily a huge crowd favorite, locals have "opinions" let's put it that way....

But when cycling weekly posted this article on FB the locals came out in force to defend the man. Its like the Starks and Lannisters getting together to fight the White Walkers.

I ****ing love it here.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Axe
    Custom User Title
    That would help, though employers would respond by packing more people into the offices they have.

Do you consider ALL rail to be a waste of taxpayer money?
    No, just this one. There is no need for SF to LA rail at such cost. Add BART. Add trams. I guess not enough easy money for graft.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    No, just this one. There is no need for SF to LA rail at such cost. Add BART. Add trams. I guess not enough easy money for graft.
    The whole project was halted, including upgrades to Caltrain. There has been an effort to save those, which are badly needed. BART doesn't serve the 101 corridor, Caltrain does.

Unsubstantiated accusations of "graft" are unhelpful.
    Please provide some kind of evidence that the governance of Caltrain is more subject to graft than that of BART or the counties that run trams.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Tying Caltrain electrification to this train from nowhere to nowhere project is all the proof you need to the idiocy of this scheme. They lied on the ballot, they keep lying now. Enjoy your cap and trade gas tax that will be sunk into this boondoggle that you will never get to use. While stuck in gridlock that this idiotic train will do nothing to solve. Only connected contractors and unions getting rich. If that is not corruption, nothing is.

PRETENDURO
    I’ve lived in Silicon Valley all my life. Grew up with orchards down the street from my home. Watched it slowly transform over the course of several decades transform into a somewhat inhospitable place. I would love to move the f**k out and start over again somewhere, if the opportunity came up. It would have to be someplace with MTB trails though, I am pretty firm on this; I could get a job doing shitwork for minimum wage if that was necessary.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Cedar City Utah. Cheap. 4 season great riding in St George/Hurricane, Gooseberry Mesa. Cedar Mtn and Brian Head riding in summer. Peak is over 11,000 ft. New trails being built next to town. Skiing in winter. Good hospitals in St George, 2.5 hrs to Vegas airport. Moab and Fruita 4 hours away. Not crazy hot since the town's at 6k. Colorado Plateau at your fingertips. I'd leave my tech job to move the family there if the wife could be convinced. Climate change could screw this place though...

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    If you can find it on a map, move to Wales. Everyone is drunk, it's cheap and the trails are better than anywhere. Check out Coed Y Brenin, Antur Stniog, Revolution Bike Park, Llandegla etc etc.
    Plus if you're tech, an hour away in Manchester they're crying out for you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    I’ve lived in Silicon Valley all my life. Grew up with orchards down the street from my home. Watched it slowly transform over the course of several decades transform into a somewhat inhospitable place. I would love to move the f**k out and start over again somewhere, if the opportunity came up. It would have to be someplace with MTB trails though, I am pretty firm on this; I could get a job doing shitwork for minimum wage if that was necessary.
    How about here in Cairns? World Championships will be held over the road from me. World class beaches, world class trails.

What do you do professionally?

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by booicore View Post
    If you can find it on a map, move to Wales. Everyone is drunk, it's cheap and the trails are better than anywhere. Check out Coed Y Brenin, Antur Stniog, Revolution Bike Park, Llandegla etc etc.
    Plus if you're tech, an hour away in Manchester they're crying out for you.
    Only problem is that the words are not pronounceable

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by Syncro View Post
    Cedar City Utah. Cheap. 4 season great riding in St George/Hurricane, Gooseberry Mesa. Cedar Mtn and Brian Head riding in summer. Peak is over 11,000 ft. New trails being built next to town. Skiing in winter. Good hospitals in St George, 2.5 hrs to Vegas airport. Moab and Fruita 4 hours away. Not crazy hot since the town's at 6k. Colorado Plateau at your fingertips. I'd leave my tech job to move the family there if the wife could be convinced. Climate change could screw this place though...
    We stayed in Harmony for a week 2 years ago and it was in mid 90s all week. Super pretty though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    Only problem is that the words are not pronounceable
    Yep, try sticking that in Expedia :-)

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by booicore View Post
    Yep, try sticking that in Expedia :-)
    Went there once and it was gorgeous. I just remember being befuddled by the towns Welsh names.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by hambocairns View Post
    How about here in Cairns? World Championships will be held over the road from me. World class beaches, world class trails.

What do you do professionally?
    Hey mate! Would love to relocate to Aussie. Interestingly I have a part-time sidejob doing e-commerce/web maintenance for AussieProducts.com right now (who’da known?! Benefits include 10% off Tim Tams!!!). I spent 30 days in Aus back in 1990 and fell in love with the land, the people, the experience. Started in Sydney (Harbour Rocks), then Mount Seaview, Noosa Heads, Mudgeeraba, Surfer’s Paradise, Magnetic Island, Whitsunday Islands, and eventually ended up in Cairns. Never met one rude person, it was culturally a shocker!

As for work, I am open to anything that can pay for a roof over my head so long as I can get out and ride my MTB! Primarily web design/development/production/QA along with traditional design/production, although I am seeking something getting my ass out of an office chair all day, something more physically demanding.

Cheers for the encouragement to ex-patriacize my homeland (I am eager to jump ship any time). Please feel free to PM me should you have any leads!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Hey mate! Would love to relocate to Aussie. Interestingly I have a part-time sidejob doing e-commerce/web maintenance for AussieProducts.com right now (who’da known?! Benefits include 10% off Tim Tams!!!). I spent 30 days in Aus back in 1990 and fell in love with the land, the people, the experience. Started in Sydney (Harbour Rocks), then Mount Seaview, Noosa Heads, Mudgeeraba, Surfer’s Paradise, Magnetic Island, Whitsunday Islands, and eventually ended up in Cairns. Never met one rude person, it was culturally a shocker!

As for work, I am open to anything that can pay for a roof over my head so long as I can get out and ride my MTB! Primarily web design/development/production/QA along with traditional design/production, although I am seeking something getting my ass out of an office chair all day, something more physically demanding.

Cheers for the encouragement to ex-patriacize my homeland (I am eager to jump ship any time). Please feel free to PM me should you have any leads!
    I too am a developer but mainly in the email marketing side of things. I haven't been riding for nearly a year now but it's time to dust off the bike and start hacking away at some freshly groomed trails (World Champs coming next month!).

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by hambocairns View Post
    I too am a developer but mainly in the email marketing side of things. I haven't been riding for nearly a year now but it's time to dust off the bike and start hacking away at some freshly groomed trails (World Champs coming next month!).
    Ya don’t say?!!?!? I’ve been doing email marketing (Marketo, Mailchimp, Eloqua, Unica, etc.) for the past two and a half years, but more on the production/design/QA/deployment side rather than on the marketing side. Seriously, if there’s relevant work, I will go get my paperwork/passport in order and plan how to ship my bikes over there!

Paper or plastic?
    Ya don’t say?!!?!? I’ve been doing email marketing (Marketo, Mailchimp, Eloqua, Unica, etc.) for the past two and a half years, but more on the production/design/QA/deployment side rather than on the marketing side. Seriously, if there’s relevant work, I will go get my paperwork/passport in order and plan how to ship my bikes over there!
    Anybody remember Responsys?

PRETENDURO
    Anybody remember Responsys?

My primary contract at the moment is using a proprietary Los Gatos based system that started life in 1994; lots of UNIX and Perl stuff. It just works after all these years. I would happily hop aboard if they offered me a full-time gig though. Location is great (less than two miles from el Sereno, St. Joe’s, just a few miles from Sierra Azul trails!).

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Some Bay Area phenomenon that's gonna shape its future...

IPA will save America

Trail Gnome Moderator
    Some Bay Area phenomenon that's gonna shape its future...

Is that building new, under construction, or has it been there for years? I've haven't seen/heard of the spaceship...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    @griz--that used to be the old HP campus in cupertino, which HP sold to close the gap in the P&L one crappy quarter. now it is the (almost completed) apple spaceship
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by dth656 View Post
    @griz--that used to be the old HP campus in cupertino, which HP sold to close the gap in the P&L one crappy quarter. now it is the (almost completed) apple spaceship
    And where the parking structure is located used to be the old Tandem/Compaq buildings that I worked in back in the late 1990s to early 2000s.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    This is one of the reasons I'm a big Reno supporter...head of economic development for the region talking about the importance of really building out what is already a great trail network...pretty much precisely the opposite of what goes on here in the bay area..

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...ski/398013001/

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cohenfive View Post
    This is one of the reasons I'm a big Reno supporter...head of economic development for the region talking about the importance of really building out what is already a great trail network...pretty much precisely the opposite of what goes on here in the bay area..

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...ski/398013001/
    Shhhhhhh...don't give up the goods.

mtbr member
    I am actually about to relocate to Reno with my wife for this exact purpose. We were getting sick and tired of fighting for scraps of trails in SoCal

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jhill View Post
    I am actually about to relocate to Reno with my wife for this exact purpose. We were getting sick and tired of fighting for scraps of trails in SoCal
    Congratulations, I am jealous! Trying to get my wife to move, but she won't for now. We have had a house there for four years so I spend a lot of time there. If you have any questions about anything, let me know. Where are you going to live in Reno?

mtbr member
    I sent you a PM but we are actually heading up next weekend to start looking for a pet friendly place. Ill be up there the weekend after Labor Day.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    What are y'all doin for work in Reno?

There's a smokin deal on a Transition Transam 29er SS on Reno CL I dont have time to drive there.

Trail Gnome Moderator
    Tahoe

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Just a matter of time before the bay area infestation ruins Reno, too.
    Of course, if I were any of you that live in the bay area, I'd be backing this plan. https://www.citylab.com/equity/2015/...ng-man/400607/ But being that I live outside of that area, I would want that wall to keep everyone inside it, too.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Tahoe
    Tahoe is goooood. There's that winter thing though. It'll be good to have another getaway destination in case the winter is crazy. Not sure I could shut down biking.
    IPA will save America

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtssogood View Post
    Just a matter of time before the bay area infestation ruins Reno, too.
    Of course, if I were any of you that live in the bay area, I'd be backing this plan. https://www.citylab.com/equity/2015/...ng-man/400607/ But being that I live outside of that area, I would want that wall to keep everyone inside it, too.
    Is Reno that good?? Demographic?

Interbike is going there so definitely some money coming in.
    IPA will save America

Trail Gnome Moderator
    Tahoe is goooood. There's that winter thing though. It'll be good to have another getaway destination in case the winter is crazy. Not sure I could shut down biking.
    I thought this was a hypothetical thread...I used to live in Central Washington, Winter was hella cold there...I could never do that again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

I live in Tahoe, Reno is where I buy stuff and eat sushi and fill up the gas tank. I did live in Reno for about a year. I'm not a city person, but if I had to live in a city it would be Reno. But like most places, it's not what it used to be. You used to be able to drive through Reno end to end in 20 minutes during rush hour. Compared to what most of you are used to the traffic is nothing, but it's not non-existent. Housing used to be affordable and abundant, but that has changed. Although, still a lot more affordable than the bay area. And when I say used to, I'm talking barely five years ago. Reno was kinda struggling figuring out how to transform from the gambling economy (the tribal casinos in CA and elsewhere killed it), so the state bent over backwards to accommodate companies like Tesla, Google, Panasonic, and others, which brings more people and traffic, higher costs, and the other good/bad of gentrification.
    When I lived there I was in one of the older neighborhoods, I could walk downtown in 15 minutes, and rode my bike pretty much everywhere. Lots of good food, just enough of everything you need. Plenty of people commute everyday to or from Tahoe or Truckee, but it's a bit too much for me to want to do that on a regular basis. I kinda like Reno, but it's not for everyone.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    I thought this was a hypothetical thread...I used to live in Central Washington, Winter was hella cold there...I could never do that again.
    Everything is hypothetical until folks pull the trigger or jump in. And many do.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Where in Central WA? Wenatchee is somewhat intriguing since it's the dry side and there are tons of trails but I assume winters are pretty frigid.

L1MEY

I live in Carson City, about half an hour south of Reno since the new freeway sections opened. It has all the advantages of living near a big city without actually having to live in a big city. The cost of living is decent (stellar, if you're used to CA prices), the crime rate is low, and you can easily bike from one side of town to the other, taking in a couple of brew pubs on the way if you like. There are trails you can access from town that are suitable to ride year round... you can ski in the morning and ride in the afternoon if you're so inclined. The snow we do get melts off quickly so you don't spend the entire winter shoveling your driveway. Also, we're half an hour from South Lake Tahoe, 50 mins from Northstar or Kirkwood, an hour from Truckee... so there's that

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    - Jen.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtssogood View Post
    I live in Tahoe, Reno is where I buy stuff and eat sushi and fill up the gas tank. I did live in Reno for about a year. I'm not a city person, but if I had to live in a city it would be Reno. But like most places, it's not what it used to be. You used to be able to drive through Reno end to end in 20 minutes during rush hour. Compared to what most of you are used to the traffic is nothing, but it's not non-existent. Housing used to be affordable and abundant, but that has changed. Although, still a lot more affordable than the bay area. And when I say used to, I'm talking barely five years ago. Reno was kinda struggling figuring out how to transform from the gambling economy (the tribal casinos in CA and elsewhere killed it), so the state bent over backwards to accommodate companies like Tesla, Google, Panasonic, and others, which brings more people and traffic, higher costs, and the other good/bad of gentrification.
    When I lived there I was in one of the older neighborhoods, I could walk downtown in 15 minutes, and rode my bike pretty much everywhere. Lots of good food, just enough of everything you need. Plenty of people commute everyday to or from Tahoe or Truckee, but it's a bit too much for me to want to do that on a regular basis. I kinda like Reno, but it's not for everyone.
    What he said.

As for riding, here's an exercise for you: think about the riding locations you can reach in about an hour and a half from your home. Being in Reno that generally includes the rides in town, Carson City, all of Tahoe, Truckee, Northstar, Auburn, Nevada City, Downieville, Quincy and Susanville. We usually have a good 9-10 months of riding in town with most years being more. When it's crappy, there are options within a short drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dream it, Do it.
    I had a recent experience that really reinforces for me how crazy living in the Bay Area can be from a practical standpoint. I have a skill set that has been growing in demand over the past 5 years as companies are driving harder to find ways to drive top-line growth through innovation. I had been interviewing with a firm up here in the Seattle area and was contacted about a similar role by a hiring manager from a firm in the San Jose area. My decision to take the offer with the firm up here in Seattle was really mostly driven by the nature of both roles and what I knew of the two companies, but consideration of Bay Area cost of living was certainly in the back of my mind.

They were willing to offer me a close to mid-six figure salary (mid meaning between $100,000 and $1,000,000) to relocate. First of all, that just seems like a crazy figure to offer pay someone who isn't a top level executive or a sales exec at a company. Secondly, in that part of the Bay Area, that amount of money doesn't even go that far. A home similar to mine in the Seattle area would go for an astronomical sum (which eats up all of the money you think you might be getting) & brings along the additional baggage that your kids and their friends grow up thinking they're "rich". The thought of carrying 7-figures worth of mortgage debt is nuts as well. Finally, I like living up here and having nature (forests, lakes, mountains) all around.

I don't know...I prefer to live like a normal guy and that just seems difficult to do in the SF Bay Area right now. For what it's worth, I just wanted to share that what looks like lower salaries in other parts of the country may actually work out pretty well in terms of your actual take home pay and the lifestyle you can afford with it.

I guess this is exactly why it is difficult to get people to relocate to the SF Bay Area and I wonder if it will ultimately lead to some level of economic slowdown or decline due to the inability to get needed talent. Seattle, unfortunately, is on a similar growth path but at least the current situation is where the SF Bay Area was in the mid-90s. Maybe I retire to Bellingham, WA in 20 years...
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

fc
    stoked Administrator
    I don't think I want to move to Phoenix anymore now that we experience their entire summer weather for 2 days.
    IPA will save America

Trail Gnome Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    Where in Central WA? Wenatchee is somewhat intriguing since it's the dry side and there are tons of trails but I assume winters are pretty frigid.
    Yakima

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    I had a recent experience that really reinforces for me how crazy living in the Bay Area can be from a practical standpoint. I have a skill set that has been growing in demand over the past 5 years as companies are driving harder to find ways to drive top-line growth through innovation. I had been interviewing with a firm up here in the Seattle area and was contacted about a similar role by a hiring manager from a firm in the San Jose area. My decision to take the offer with the firm up here in Seattle was really mostly driven by the nature of both roles and what I knew of the two companies, but consideration of Bay Area cost of living was certainly in the back of my mind.

They were willing to offer me a close to mid-six figure salary (mid meaning between $100,000 and $1,000,000) to relocate. First of all, that just seems like a crazy figure to offer pay someone who isn't a top level executive or a sales exec at a company. Secondly, in that part of the Bay Area, that amount of money doesn't even go that far. A home similar to mine in the Seattle area would go for an astronomical sum (which eats up all of the money you think you might be getting) & brings along the additional baggage that your kids and their friends grow up thinking they're "rich". The thought of carrying 7-figures worth of mortgage debt is nuts as well. Finally, I like living up here and having nature (forests, lakes, mountains) all around.

I don't know...I prefer to live like a normal guy and that just seems difficult to do in the SF Bay Area right now. For what it's worth, I just wanted to share that what looks like lower salaries in other parts of the country may actually work out pretty well in terms of your actual take home pay and the lifestyle you can afford with it.

I guess this is exactly why it is difficult to get people to relocate to the SF Bay Area and I wonder if it will ultimately lead to some level of economic slowdown or decline due to the inability to get needed talent. Seattle, unfortunately, is on a similar growth path but at least the current situation is where the SF Bay Area was in the mid-90s. Maybe I retire to Bellingham, WA in 20 years...
    I agree with you. Many people won't move to the Bay Area because of this. However, there are enough Day-trader types who want to chase their personal gold rush that there will be people moving there.

I get emails daily from recruiters asking if I want to move back for some bs job I've been overqualified to do for 10 years now. I get some reasonable jobs too--but you couldn't even pay me double of what people are offering to move back.

I like my asthma not constantly overacting, and I like living an hour from the mountains to go downhilling every weekend without someone telling me how I have to earn my turns.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Nevertheless, large tech companies seemingly have no shortage of graduates willing to move here. Judging from my team, they are going mostly ok, and most scrape together an ok place to live, with two incomes and some timely stock compensation.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    School's back, cylinder's are all firing. Traffic misery is in full effect!!!Want to leave Bay Area. Where to go?-screen-shot-2017-09-12-8.39.29-am.jpg
    IPA will save America

jrm
    mtbr member

What about Michigan?

weathers not bad. Lansing? mid state...

always licking the glass
    School's back, cylinder's are all firing. Traffic misery is in full effect!!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 8.39.29 AM.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	113.0 KB 
ID:	1157390
    Thanks for the map. I'll be sure to send it to recruiters when they ask me to move back.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Same fc that was at R2T finish?

Anyhoo, thanks for this thread. Recently made the move from 10 years in the same 1BR apt in SF to Truckee (Glenshire). It's, uh, quite a change. This thread was definitely useful - gracias

I do miss my local fog-shrouded Sutro-Twin Peaks-Laguna Honda laps. And maybe a few other things. You can (and should) night ride Sutro etc - its so good. You'll see more animal life than humans. Hawk Hill and the Headlands under moonlight and not a car around anywhere are pretty damn special too. Damn, SF is SO good.

But Truckee ticked all our boxes for a next stop. Solid, bilingual schools (wife teaches; kids learnin'), skiing is top notch, close to civilization (ie., not Mammoth...sniff ), more affordable than SF, great riding, did I mention the skiing?. We also pretty much had to stay in CA for our jobs and her family, so it was an easy choice.

Only complaints thus far are occasionally heavy traffic (relative to Mammoth where I lived briefly once upon a time) and lack of really top-notch trails in Glenshire, at least as compared to most other Truckee/North Lake neighborhoods. It's paradise/a tourist town, so there's that.

Riding...it's okay...

wretch
    Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Same fc that was at R2T finish?

Anyhoo, thanks for this thread. Recently made the move from 10 years in the same 1BR apt in SF to Truckee (Glenshire). It's, uh, quite a change. This thread was definitely useful - gracias

I do miss my local fog-shrouded Sutro-Twin Peaks-Laguna Honda laps. And maybe a few other things. You can (and should) night ride Sutro etc - its so good. You'll see more animal life than humans. Hawk Hill and the Headlands under moonlight and not a car around anywhere are pretty damn special too. Damn, SF is SO good.

But Truckee ticked all our boxes for a next stop. Solid, bilingual schools (wife teaches; kids learnin'), skiing is top notch, close to civilization (ie., not Mammoth...sniff ), more affordable than SF, great riding, did I mention the skiing?. We also pretty much had to stay in CA for our jobs and her family, so it was an easy choice.

Only complaints thus far are occasionally heavy traffic (relative to Mammoth where I lived briefly once upon a time) and lack of really top-notch trails in Glenshire, at least as compared to most other Truckee/North Lake neighborhoods. It's paradise/a tourist town, so there's that.

Riding...it's okay...
    Glenshire is where it's at! Close to everything - bike path to town, even closer to Reno. We looked in TD and glad we pulled the trigger here. Now we just need a good pub!

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Trash View Post
    Glenshire is where it's at! Close to everything - bike path to town, even closer to Reno. We looked in TD and glad we pulled the trigger here. Now we just need a good pub!
    And there is a trail to waddle ranch.

wretch
    And there is a trail to waddle ranch.

I keep meaning to go explore all of that. The goal is to ride trail from here to the Lake and back ... So good!

fc
    stoked Administrator
    $782k in Sunnyvale... what a bargain!!! Oh wait.

Bay Area housing: Sunnyvale home sells $800,000 above asking
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I keep meaning to go explore all of that. The goal is to ride trail from here to the Lake and back ... So good!
    That Waddle Ranch stuff is fun, but short. I too need to link up Waddle to **some mountain** down to KB. Sounds like a fun little project. Truckee Trash, hit me up if you wanna try it out!
    Last edited by meter-man; 09-18-2017 at 02:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

So it was only worth 18k?

Edit lol!!! I mean, they should've given it to you along with a check for 18k?

mtbr member
    Have you tried Alibi? Weird menu but I found a couple good beers.

wretch
    Funny, was just there last night. It's OK. Beers are decent. It's sort of like an empty beer hall. I suppose the later night music crowd fills it up. There was a 9 person Czech band playing which was pretty cool. Most disappointing thing is the menu. Some form of imported pseudo fancy nachos from ... Reno. They were not that great. Wish the menu was actually a menu and they had forsaken some space for a much needed Patio.

I'm more bummed out that Foood+Drink is closing after Grinduro!

Paper or plastic?
    Funny, was just there last night. It's OK. Beers are decent. It's sort of like an empty beer hall. I suppose the later night music crowd fills it up. There was a 9 person Czech band playing which was pretty cool. Most disappointing thing is the menu. Some form of imported pseudo fancy nachos from ... Reno. They were not that great. Wish the menu was actually a menu and they had forsaken some space for a much needed Patio.

I'm more bummed out that Foood+Drink is closing after Grinduro!
    Agreed. They need a better menu. Best beer was the wheat beer IIRC.

Dream it, Do it.

Sharing a thought that I had this morning going into work in Bellevue, WA (across Lake Washington from Seattle): If you are a software developer and want to move to the Seattle area, you could do so literally in about a month. My company is trying hard to hire software engineers as are most other companies in the area.

Housing prices in Seattle have gone up a lot, but are still nowhere near Bay Area prices. Also, about 86% of the California pre-tax salary figure in Washington results in the same take-home salary as there is no state income tax in WA. So as an example, a $130,000 (corrected from original post) salary in Washington is equivalent to a $150,000 salary in California in take-home pay. If you're worried about the salary differential, a Seattle area salary of X dollars is about equivalent to a 3X dollar Bay Area salary when home prices are taken into account (and you aren't willing to accept a 1 to 1.5 hour commute). I just did this calculation based on a salary that I was offered from a South Bay company. PM me if you're interested in the calculations that I did in my analysis.

This is obviously not an inexpensive home by any measure at $1.1 million, but it looks to be about 1/3 of Bay Area prices. It's about a 2 minute ride to one trail network and about a 10 minute ride to another 10 miles of singletrack in another trail network. This location is also 40 minutes to night skiing one way and 30 minutes after the evening rush hour to downtown Seattle the other way.

Want to leave Bay Area. Where to go?-isa5acb1zi3aag0000000000.jpg

https://www.zillow.com/homes/1119-26...,-WA-98075_rb/

I'm guessing that we'll probably live here for another 20-odd years until I retire and then move somewhere like Bellingham, WA that has the trails but not as congested in 20 years. Seattle is also growing like the Bay Area was in the 80's and 90's, but there is still a chance at this time to live reasonably well and close to work in a way that is increasingly hard to do in the Bay Area.
    Last edited by Spectre; 09-20-2017 at 08:23 PM.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

fc
    stoked Administrator
    40% are ready to leave. That's pretty high.

Bay Area exodus: Millennials more inclined to leave, and here's why
    IPA will save America

always licking the glass

Want to leave Bay Area. Where to go?

You don't have to be a millennial to want out:
    - the cultural cool areas are driven out by high prices
    - too expensive for any job to be able to afford a place, unless you're a c-level or cashed out already
    - high crime
    - too many people in too small of a space

Traffic is bad everywhere, but yeah the Bay Area is getting LA levels of bad.

I left a year ago. Are there people I miss? Sure, but I'm glad I moved since I haven't had to be on antibiotics in the year since I moved. And my asthma is in much better control than when it was in California.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesjus View Post
    What he said.

As for riding, here's an exercise for you: think about the riding locations you can reach in about an hour and a half from your home. Being in Reno that generally includes the rides in town, Carson City, all of Tahoe, Truckee, Northstar, Auburn, Nevada City, Downieville, Quincy and Susanville. We usually have a good 9-10 months of riding in town with most years being more. When it's crappy, there are options within a short drive.
    Here's a shout-out for Susanville. The county fathers, BLM, and the FS, are on a trail building frenzy.

Existing is Susanville Ranch Park with 29 miles of multi-use trail. Under construction is Bald Mountain trail system on BLM land, SE of Susanville with 27 miles. Still in the planning development stage is the Fredonyer Butte trail system west of Susanville on FS land. The Bizz Johnson Rails to Trail is 26 miles connecting Susanville to Westwood and the Modoc Line Rails to Trail is 85 miles Susanville to Alturas. Planned is the Collins Pine Rails to Trail connecting Westwood to Chester/Lake Almanor, which will connect with the Almanor Trail along the west shore of the lake. Numerous other short trails, some paved, some dirt, in the area. Long range plans are to connect all them.
    When complete it will be over 300 miles of interconnected trails ranging from mountain, forest and lakeshore to high desert terrain. Much of it good for multi-day bikepacking from your house. If you do not mind riding on unpaved forest roads the mileage becomes near infinite.
    Housing is cheap. Real winters here with snow and cold. Fishing, hunting, hiking, paddling, camping, nordic skiing paradise. 1/2 hour out of town you are camping in solitude next to a trout stream or lake. Reno is 85 miles with all the major city amenities.

Downside -- not many jobs. Government is the single largest employer. Not much tech except IT departments in govt. Largest private sector employers are Walmart and the hospital.

But why slave for 50 weeks a year in a place you hate just to take a vacation in a nice place, when you can live where you want to vacation?
    So many trails... so little time...

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    ^ Most of my friends go to the Bay Area to ride/vacation! I could spend a few weekends each year in Susanville. Year round? Uh, no.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    40% are ready to leave. That's pretty high.
    I think that would solve most problems. Actually, 25% should be good enough.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I made a move from Norcal, to Socal, and now to Tennessee. I'll never go back to California. Cost of living is dirt cheap (I just bought a three bedroom house on 3/4 of an acre for $93K), incredible riding everywhere, awesome food, and wonderful people.
    Last edited by Fluidworks; 09-18-2017 at 07:55 AM.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    I think that would solve most problems. Actually, 25% should be good enough.
    #wishfulthinking

The average home price may drop from $1.6 mil to $1.5... for a year.
    IPA will save America

Socialist
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    weathers not bad. Lansing? mid state...
    Are you saying "not bad" as a native Midwesterner? What we'd consider not bad looks like this to most people from the Bay Area:
    Name:  6sSOM.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  120.1 KB

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Ughh, we're back to classic Bay Area weather again for the forseeable future.... perfect.

It really is one of the best in the world and one of the area's big draws. That and you can drive to different weather if things get dicey.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    2/3 of the California pre-tax salary figure in Washington results in the same take-home salary as there is no state income tax in WA. So as an example, a $100,000 salary in Washington is equivalent to a $150,000 salary in California in take-home pay.
    No effng way! Yes, California has a state income tax, but it would never be $70K on $150K in income (state income taxes are deductable on your federal return). The correct figure would be $12K at most (single with no deductions, marginal rate 9.3%) with over $3K of that coming off your federal taxes.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    The SJ Mercury news has been a very good resource for info on leaving the Bay Area. It is top of mind for most people who love the area but are getting crushed by housing and traffic issues.

Here's a new one talking to people who've left.

Leaving the Bay Area? These folks did it -- with mixed results
    IPA will save America

always licking the glass
    The SJ Mercury news has been a very good resource for info on leaving the Bay Area. It is top of mind for most people who love the area but are getting crushed by housing and traffic issues.

Here's a new one talking to people who've left.

Leaving the Bay Area? These folks did it -- with mixed results
    If you're happy in the Bay Area, stay there. If you feel like anywhere else is your thing, leave.

Anything is going to have mixed results. I'm sure if I went to Nebraska (lower cost but little culture) or NYC (cost is high, too crowded, not close to trails), I wouldn't be happy and want to come back. So I found a place I would be, and I didn't expect it to be.

Also, some people get set in their ways and never want to leave. If you think the Bay Area rocks and don't want to live, props to you. It's your home. Enjoy it.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Love this quote:

"Admit it. You’ve thought about it, too. Usually when in suspended animation on the Bay Bridge, or touring a 1,200 square-foot, million-dollar “starter home” in Pleasanton. Sure, the Bay Area is wonderful, beautiful — I mean, look at that view when you’re stopped on the bridge! But there are greener — or at least cheaper, calmer, less-congested — pastures … right?"

I think there's several scenarios in the Bay Area:

- born and raised here, roots.
    - just moved here to study or start career
    - not a homeowner and crushed by rent
    - homeowner and seeing better use of the valuable equity now
    - work at home vs commuter
    IPA will save America

Trail Gnome Moderator
    Love this quote:

"Admit it. You’ve thought about it, too. Usually when in suspended animation on the Bay Bridge, or touring a 1,200 square-foot, million-dollar “starter home” in Pleasanton. Sure, the Bay Area is wonderful, beautiful — I mean, look at that view when you’re stopped on the bridge! But there are greener — or at least cheaper, calmer, less-congested — pastures … right?"

I think there's several scenarios in the Bay Area:

- born and raised here, roots.
    - just moved here to study or start career
    - not a homeowner and crushed by rent
    - homeowner and seeing better use of the valuable equity now
    - work at home vs commuter
    You forgot to mention, the abundance of awesome bike legal trails...that's why I'm staying here

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    We entertained the idea of leaving El Dorado Hills for no other reason than a change of scenery, and we did some research and exploring last year. Some goals were less suburbia, a little more rural but not too far from conveniences, good trail network that can be ridden from the house, and not live in snow all winter. Near a lake or river or pond would be good too.

Groveland: too remote and the trail infrastructure just isn't there yet
    Twain Harte: still too remote and small and Sonora wasn't appealing even though it is closer to Pinecrest
    Nevada City: Loved it, met most criteria, just couldn't find the right place for our budget
    Redding: Super appealing to me but couldn't the girl past the heat. I think Redding (the area) will be Bay Area-ized soon enough
    Grand Junction, CO was on the list but we didn't make it out there for a visit. I hope I don't regret it
    Boise: Fit lots of criteria and closer to the girl's folks, but never got around to looking seriously.
    Ashland: Spent a week there several years ago and liked it but didn't fall in love with it (didn't ride much when there though)
    Mendo: Compelling but not in the cards

Ended up moving a mile from our old house when the "right" property suddenly popped up and we got it. Now I just plan on making EDH trails great again. :-)
    Hopefully you don't have to fall back on your research once the South of 50 debacle takes full effect.

Trail Gnome Moderator
    Looks like Colorado is off the list...
    MTBr killed in Colorado

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Sharing a thought that I had this morning going into work in Bellevue, WA (across Lake Washington from Seattle): If you are a software developer and want to move to the Seattle area, you could do so literally in about a month. My company is trying hard to hire software engineers as are most other companies in the area.

Housing prices in Seattle have gone up a lot, but are still nowhere near Bay Area prices. Also, 2/3 of the California pre-tax salary figure in Washington results in the same take-home salary as there is no state income tax in WA. So as an example, a $100,000 salary in Washington is equivalent to a $150,000 salary in California in take-home pay. If you're worried about the salary differential, a Seattle area salary of X dollars is about equivalent to a 3X dollar Bay Area salary when home prices are taken into account (and you aren't willing to accept a 1 to 1.5 hour commute). I just did this calculation based on a salary that I was offered from a South Bay company. PM me if you're interested in the calculations that I did in my analysis.

This is obviously not an inexpensive home by any measure at $1.1 million, but it looks to be about 1/3 of Bay Area prices. It's about a 2 minute ride to one trail network and about a 10 minute ride to another 10 miles of singletrack in another trail network. This location is also 40 minutes to night skiing one way and 30 minutes after the evening rush hour to downtown Seattle the other way.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ISa5acb1zi3aag0000000000.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	246.4 KB 
ID:	1157868

https://www.zillow.com/homes/1119-26...,-WA-98075_rb/

I'm guessing that we'll probably live here for another 20-odd years until I retire and then move somewhere like Bellingham, WA that has the trails but not as congested in 20 years. Seattle is also growing like the Bay Area was in the 80's and 90's, but there is still a chance at this time to live reasonably well and close to work in a way that is increasingly hard to do in the Bay Area.
    Bingo.

Im 29, just bought a condo in kirkland, get pow day mornings off to ski for 2.5 hours at alpental then come into work at noon thirty. I work with a guy who races pro at NW cups, and ride the best trails in the world, full stop. I eat great food, live 20 mins from the downtown of a major metropolitan international city, and my commute is 10 mins.

I dont work in tech or finance.

none of this would have been possible had i stayed in San Francisco. My sister and Bro in law both make significantly more than me and have a snowballs chance in hell of buying a home or condo near their jobs on the peninsula.

People get scared because of the weather here, but summers here are better than they are in the bay area. And during winter and early spring, rain means pow days up in the mountains (meanwhile the majority of trail systems remain wet but open). Wet loam is pretty damn fun to ride When the snow is shitty, i ski half a day, knock off at noon, and then stop by one of the trail systems on my way home to go dig for an hour or two with my dog in tow.

Basically, Seattle is what ive heard the BA was like 20 years ago, except seattle has waaaaaaay better access to mountainous wilderness and allows for a lot more freedom in how you utilize it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Does anyone have the down low on Cle Elum, WA? A buddy is selling a house that he and an ex-girlfriend purchased up there and reading through this post has me thinking about buying her out and renting with potential long term goal of moving up that way. I'm a sun worshiper and I'm not sure how I would do in the grey but it's worth exploring.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast