Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2010
    Moved to Redding in 07 and have not looked back. I live on 3.5 acres near Whiskeytown lake. Lots of killer singletrack out my back door and more trails being made(Redding Trail Alliance). I can bike from my house into town 5+ miles on a paved trail(check out sacramento river trail). Surrounded by the Trinity Alps(epic backpacking) to the west, Mt. Shasta(skiing) 1 hour to the north, and Mt Lassen to the east. Some of the best fly fishing in the world year round. No traffic...cheaper housing....a few new breweries(Wildcard's Tied house on Pine St.)....the very cool Cascade theater(1935 art deco) has good venues regularly. Great mexican at Reconcitos etc. It can get hot in the summer but not for to long. Big box stores if you need them. 2 hospitals(good for jobs). Administrative hub for Shasta county(jobs). Huge potential for growth(there is a group trying to get a UC school here). Somewhat conservative but it's slowly changing. People are nice. Great place to raise kids. Good schools, e.g. there is a public Montessori school down the street. Reminds me of Bend without the money and hype. Oh did I mention the lake? Never going back to the city. If I ever move again in will be north to BC. Hope I don't regret letting the cat out of the bag. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I'll play.. Bought a house in Ashland a month ago, moving up permanently from Marin in January.

- Accessibility/Quality of biking: Ride out my door, to either west or east side of Mt. Ashland. .5 miles from skate park for shuttle pickup if I'm feeling lazy, 3/4 mile to downtown (standing stone brewery!)
    -Outdoor/other nature activities Have barely scratched the surface on this one. Applegate lake, rogue river, hyatt lake, lake of the woods, shasta within an hour, crescent city 2 hours, Umpqua river, etc. Not to mention live 40 minutes from Mt Ashland ski resort.
    -Other sports availableHiking, trail running, kayaking, backpacking, camping. All the usual suspects
    -Warmer in the summer, colder in the winter. Snows a handful of times a year but normally melts off in a day or 2. Yet within a 25 min drive to go play in the snow with siskyou summit right there. The endless water ways and forested canyons are a way to escape the heat
    - Beauty of the area Google image "ashland oregon" and see for yourself!
    - Jobs cost of living Biggest downside. Jobs can be scarce unless you are in the healthcare field, which luckily my wife and I are. Cost of living is very high compared to rest of Southern Oregon, but you can go 10 min north to Talent or Phoenix and get a steal of a house. Coming from Marin, prices are rock bottom.
    -People, culture, education Definitly an interesting culture. College brings young students and professors. Schools are some of the best in Oregon. Some drifter/hippie types runnign around downtown, but cops keep a good handle on them. If you are from Marin, its a mix of Fairfax and San Rafael, without the latino population. Basically a lot of Funk mixed with upscale mixed with family. I haven't found it to be racially intolerant, but definitly not as diverse as SR or Novato.
    -Traffic/airports Traffic? What traffic? Medford has an airport with commercial flights similar to Santa Rosa airport.
    -Food Lots of it. Ashland Coop is a killer grocery store with great organic and local food if thats your thing (big draw for me). Plenty of dives around the college and downtown hole-inthe wall spots. Caldera brew co and standing stone are the local breweries. Growler guys looks like a cool spot though have yet to get in there. Though I'm not sure there is a good, authentic taqueria.
    - Growing economy or collapsing Ashland home values keep going up up up, and rogue valley seems to be growing. Although it is somewhat isolated, so I know job situation can be tight. Would have to do more research on this one.
    -Kid stuff Biggest draw for me. I have a 4 and 3 year old, and am so pumped they are gonna grow up here. Schools are top notch, parks everywhere, bike path runs through town (10 min ride to the hands on science museum; think exploratorium in SF but smaller and cheaper), water slide park and other water parks for summer, and everything the outdoors has to offer. Within 10 minutes of us bringing our kids to the neighborhood for the first time, we counted 8 kids, and our kids made instant friends. It definitly has the old school community vibe. You actually see kids on bikes and outside on weekends. oh, and LITHIA PARK! World class park above town along the watershed.

Anyways, we chose to leave Marin for a variety of reasons. I thought I may regret it but so far am so pumped and ready for something new, no traffic, no more MCL and footpeople and rangers looking to give tickets. Just good clean living!

Dirty by Nature
    Jun 2010
    ^^ You left out one thing. Most small towns have some rabbits running around people's yards. Ashland has deer!

And the town does attract and tolerate a few eccentric types. Is the Homeless Shepherd still there? A few years before that there was the Topless Chick that streaked the 4th of July parade after they denied her request to be part of the parade!

We spent about 3 weeks there last summer, and the only downside we could find was that the valley can fill with smoke, from fires as far away as Bend or Norcal, but that doesn't happen every year. It's on our retirement shortlist.
    Friends don't let friends ride e-"bikes" on dirt.

Nature is not a sidewalk.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    ^^ You left out one thing. Most small towns have some rabbits running around people's yards. Ashland has deer!
    ..plus SKUNKS and RACOONS. Get used to your nice garden/lawn getting grub hunted every year.

One thing I don't see anyone listing, since some of us are parents with kids, is SOU. In the time I've known Ashland that University has actually gotten a ton better and is producing some top notch graduates. The public schools STILL have great teachers. There's the skate park, the (sorta) pump track, and a lot of other reasons it's still a great town in my eyes. (Despite the whole flood thing we had to deal with.)

Now as many point out, if only there was a wider job base not specifically oriented towards tourism and medical. That said I don't see Ashlanders allowing Tech to just move on in, but Medford should get off it's collective ass and bring it in. The loss of the logging cost the area big in the past 20 years and tech would easily fill that in.

I should also add Grants Pass to my short list.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Plus SOU has an outdoor leadership 4 year degree.. How bad ass is that? I'd almost consider going back to school just to take Mountain Biking and get college credit for it!

fc
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by normarin View Post
    I'll play.. Bought a house in Ashland a month ago, moving up permanently from Marin in January.

- Accessibility/Quality of biking: Ride out my door,...

Now this is a post. This is why we hang out here. Thank you!
    IPA will save America

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Plus SOU has an outdoor leadership 4 year degree.. How bad ass is that? I'd almost consider going back to school just to take Mountain Biking and get college credit for it!
    I know, right! There's another couple degrees you can get that are just cool. Which part of town if I can ask? Seriously, drive up to Mohawk and Park Streets. Sit at the empty field, watch the Sunset, and think about getting to see that every single day of the Summer when I was a kid.

I wonder is anyone still keeping up the little gutter jumps going down Siskiyou.

Also, why has nobody listed Black Sheep Pub for Ashland? For some the food in town's enough to stay! Is Big Town Hero still around?

edit: OUCH! BTH and one of the BikeShops closed down. :/

While I'm at it, if you need a solid shop to goto hit up Marty's in Medford. I've known Marty since the mid-90's when he worked at Al's.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Not the Bay area but planning on leaving Portland OR by March. 111 people move to the Portland zip code a week and that does not include the other 15 or so zipcodes that make it a city. Any semblance that once made the city cool is long gone...thanks California!

One final note, you can have Bend.
    Sounds pretty bad, but then my wife's family is from Austin TX and I lived there for architecture school and work, on and off, for 10years between 1996 and 2013. The "city" (including all the sprawl associated with it) went from around 200k to 1.2million in ten years. Pretty sure it was and maybe still is fastest urban growth the US has ever seen. It still has about 1000 people or about 9 times the growth you are stating for the Portland area moving there every week.

They built about 30 new skyscrapers in 10 years, and block after block of South Austin has been plundered, raised and then rebuilt into something completely unrecognizable from when I first moved there. Traffic is about as bad as it is here, and for many it is substantially worse (around 8-10mins per mile during rush hour traffic depending on where you work and where you live.) They do not believe in the same developmental "growth rings" that you have in Portland so the sprawl is effing immense.

Texas recently(last 5 years?) also passed legislation banning the teaching of "critical thinking" in its public schools... so there is that as well.

No state income tax... but punishingly high property tax. That gets increased every year. My brother in law was paying around 15k per year for an 800 sqft house he bought 15 years ago for $112k.

Some of the worst weather on the planet as well. 110 with 95% humidity for months on end. The moisture in the air keeps the temps well into 90-100 even until 1-2 in the morning. Muggy and buggy. Air conditioner compressors whir and hum all night long for a better part of the year.

Definitely a party town if you are young, rich and single.... if that is your bag.

Wages are substantially lower and the only thing that seems to be cheaper there is a gallon of gas. You could live way outside of the center and get a big new house, but you could do the same in Livermore and have about the same commute.

Lots of unmarked very technical rocky singletrack right in the middle of the city. Not great if you like flow. I have always been told it is about 65miles of single track, but I never measured.

Brackish
    I'm a recruiter in technology, living in the Greater Boston Area. I get a ton of interest from people in the Bay Area looking to move out here. There is skiing, a metric ton of mountain biking, boating, hiking, camping, world class cultural events and museums and more kids stuff than we will be able to get through with Thing 1 and Thing 2.

I live in Nashua, NH and my favorite 10 mile MTB loop starts at my door, have 2 other killer spots within a 10-minute drive and many, many more within 30 minutes to an hour. Highland, which is awesome, is about an hour away and there are at least half a dozen unique bike parks within 3-4 hours. NH housing runs about 30-50% cheaper than Mass, so if you work in the technology corridors outside Boston it can be a great option.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Yeah, just using Google seems Austin is the fastest growing city. Though it's hard to gauge how many zipcodes they're using to conclude such as I've heard on talk shows Portland is the fastest growing city. Irrelevant I guess as many once desirable area's to live are experiencing unsustainable growth hence this thread. What ever happened to the propaganda of negative population growth when the baby boomers start to pass???

I like to visit & ride Ashland, but man talk about monoculture. That's one town that's distinctly "college town" feel is inescapable. One fear I'd have buying into Ashland is fire/drought. I think since 2012 or so Mt Ashland has barely been able to open & maybe didn't at all in 2015? I know monetarily the resort is in trouble due to lack of a snow season. Ashland to say Roseburg is an area very susceptible to climate change...an indicator species if you will. Not trying to harsh anyone's buzz, just putting that out there for conversations sake.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I wouldn't live in the bay area for any amount of money, and don't plan to leave Tahoe unless I have to, but I am glad to see the handful of places I would consider moving to haven't been mentioned. You can have your jobs and awesome houses and IPA, I'll be where the sick riding is and figure out a way to make it work 😊.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Bend, OR indeed has grown extremely fast and it ain't what it use to be. I don't know you, and you don't know me, but you should check it out before you make any big decisions. (Everything seems cheap compared to the Bay Area)

...don't forget to takes taxes into your calculations...sales, income, and property taxes are all very different than CA

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtssogood View Post
    ..I am glad to see the handful of places I would consider moving to haven't been mentioned. You can have your jobs and awesome houses and IPA, I'll be where the sick riding is and figure out a way to make it work 😊.
    Oh there's places some of us know and you're hitting the target with your reply. We're talking in general terms. No way in hell I'm listing the other three choices.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Boise. That is where I ended up. Low cost of living, fantastic MTBing (both connected to town and throughout the state), much better traffic situation, super low crime, friendly atmosphere, all the amenities you could want, decent job opportunities (and getting better all the time as more companies move here), great for kids, tons of skiing in winter if that is your thing, similar weather (hot in summer with some rain occasionally, colder in winter but totally manageable), GREAT for kids, airport is a short drive away with flights anywhere I would personally go, beautiful mountain view, and... that is all I have for now!

Not sure I could have ever afforded a house in the Bay Area, here I plan on owning multiple as an investor. And the cycling... when I visit the Bay I want to ride road, the MTBing in the East Bay at least isn't even worth the time after riding here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi View Post
    Oh there's places some of us know and you're hitting the target with your reply. We're talking in general terms. No way in hell I'm listing the other three choices.
    Haha - headed out in a few weeks for one of the unmentioned.

stop...safety first
    When you leave the bay your attitude towards single track changes. It Is no longer unattainable, instead it is the norm . The new norm allows you to actually enjoy a dirt road, instead of obsessing on single track. From nevada city I can ride single track all day, and I do.
    No conflicts with horses,
    Nor hikers.
    None with moto,
    Gnats on the other hand are a different story...
    Last edited by TubeSSnapper; 10-16-2016 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Bad grammar

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by DriverB View Post
    And BC is better than Tahoe. What's your point?

My point is, the mountains of Santa Cruz to Marin are the home of the sport like it or not. I'm sure the PNW is peachy but don't tell me it's "garbage". You either have no idea what you are talking about or can't ride anyway.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
    It may be the home of the sport but it now has a lot of strings attached: Seasonal Trail Closures, Bike restrictions (go blast down Mt. Tam today?), Speed limits (moving violation tickets), Land Managers who's hands are tied (SC and other non mtn bike groups), No night riding option and I'm sure I left out a few.

The PNW has the Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance that forged great long standing relationships with land managers, and land owners to afford great mtn biking in the PNW and in the Columbia Basin. This is something NorCal is missing and it reflects in all the crap NorCal bikers have to go through.

I moved out of the Bay Area in 1999 and would never move back. Even Sacramento is suffering from the same things that afflict Bay Area mtn biking except it's a single user group that rides a 1200 lb four legged trail destroying animal. I moved to Central Washington where I have a local trail system that is the best of NorCal combined plus other great trails within a two hour drive..
    Last edited by mtnbiker4life; 10-16-2016 at 07:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I'm strongly considering leaving the Bay Area and moving to Boulder or the surrounding area (Longmont, Gunbarrel, Niwot, Louisville, etc.). Cost of living, housing costs, no commuting and overall lifestyle is what I'm in search of. While Boulder is certainly not cheap, the surrounding areas are very affordable relative to our area now.

mtbr member
    Boulder... might as well move to Marin. Heh.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    11 months and I get to move back to Durango. Can't get here soon enough...

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by JT79 View Post
    Boulder... might as well move to Marin. Heh.
    I heard Berkeley.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi View Post
    I know, right! There's another couple degrees you can get that are just cool. Which part of town if I can ask? Seriously, drive up to Mohawk and Park Streets. Sit at the empty field, watch the Sunset, and think about getting to see that every single day of the Summer when I was a kid.

I wonder is anyone still keeping up the little gutter jumps going down Siskiyou.

Also, why has nobody listed Black Sheep Pub for Ashland? For some the food in town's enough to stay! Is Big Town Hero still around?

edit: OUCH! BTH and one of the BikeShops closed down. :/

While I'm at it, if you need a solid shop to goto hit up Marty's in Medford. I've known Marty since the mid-90's when he worked at Al's.
    We are in Quiet Village, near Helman Elementary School.. So far I haven't found a bad shop in Ashland, but I really want to check out Unreal cycles in Central Point. Looks like they do some rad group rides, and would love to ride the areas outside Ashland (Wagner Canyon, Prescott Park, Grants Pass stuff).

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    I heard Berkeley.
    He's referring to the amount of legal riding, not the campus atmosphere.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    He's referring to the amount of legal riding, not the campus atmosphere.
    I heard Boulder has a bunch of legal road riding. That's about it.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Grand Junction.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Syncro View Post
    Grand Junction.
    Salida.

Just mimic-ing the one word answers.
    IPA will save America

Is dang happy!
    Back to Montana for me. Tried Seattle twice but the traffic eventually got to me, Mtn biking was hard to incorporate into a urban lifestyle and ridding buddies were few and far between. Living in Portland back when you could ride singletrack in Forest Park was great, not so sure about now. The jobs culture and outdoor opportunities were well balanced there and the lack of belligerent rednecks in the city was refreshing.

Missoula is a very livable town except for the job/housing market, something like seven brewerys there for 80'000 people and surrounded by trails that are almost all open to bikes. You can ride from town to most of the trails and live a low or no car lifestyle quite easily there. The arts and music there blows away anything north of SF too.

I have spent the last seven months back in the Flathead valley and am rediscovering the awesome trail networks around Whitefish and Kalispell. It is Trump country and many of the yocals have a vacant look in their eyes to match the ignorant bumper sticker on the smoking diesel pickup they tow their moto toys around in but much of Nor-Cal has a similar vibe and you will need a thick skin to tolerate much of the derp that gets spewed there.

Helena and Bozeman have great Mtn biking too, even Great falls out on the plains has a nice trail system along the Missouri now. Fat biking is growing the sport and now I can ride trails in the winter in addition to skiing, snowboarding and snowshoeing here.
    The thing is it is so easy to escape "civilization/traffic" here, much of the terrain is undeveloped public land and even the hillbillies have a deep appreciation for access to it...

Have to watch out for the bears now as my theory that they always skedaddle when they hear a a bike was disproved when my neighbor was eaten. YMMV
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Doom View Post
    Back to Montana for me. Tried Seattle twice but the traffic eventually got to me, Mtn biking was hard to incorporate into a urban lifestyle and ridding buddies were few and far between. Living in Portland back when you could ride singletrack in Forest Park was great, not so sure about now. The jobs culture and outdoor opportunities were well balanced there and the lack of belligerent rednecks in the city was refreshing.

Missoula is a very livable town except for the job/housing market, something like seven brewerys there for 80'000 people and surrounded by trails that are almost all open to bikes. You can ride from town to most of the trails and live a low or no car lifestyle quite easily there. The arts and music there blows away anything north of SF too.

I have spent the last seven months back in the Flathead valley and am rediscovering the awesome trail networks around Whitefish and Kalispell. It is Trump country and many of the yocals have a vacant look in their eyes to match the ignorant bumper sticker on the smoking diesel pickup they tow their moto toys around in but much of Nor-Cal has a similar vibe and you will need a thick skin to tolerate much of the derp that gets spewed there.

Helena and Bozeman have great Mtn biking too, even Great falls out on the plains has a nice trail system along the Missouri now. Fat biking is growing the sport and now I can ride trails in the winter in addition to skiing, snowboarding and snowshoeing here.
    The thing is it is so easy to escape "civilization/traffic" here, much of the terrain is undeveloped public land and even the hillbillies have a deep appreciation for access to it...

Have to watch out for the bears now as my theory that they always skedaddle when they hear a a bike was disproved when my neighbor was eaten. YMMV
    Great report. So much intel!

How bad is the winter in Montana? Seem like a candidate for dual-residence. One there, one in Moab.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    As a surfer/mtn. biker, we're pretty much hosed. Where better to be than S.C.?
    Nowhere in Ca. is as good as here for both sports. Maybe somewhere in New Zealand?
    North shore of Oahu actually has a pretty awesome trail system but you sure aren't gonna save on housing costs.
    Mrwhlr's stepmom rides a 5 spot

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by AKD View Post
    I'd seriously consider moving to Reno at this point. Decent job market, cost of living is relatively tolerable, but the mtb community is off the hook. I get a great vibe every time I ride Peavine.
    copious amounts of areas and trails with more being built...
    "ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK"

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    It is Trump country and many of the yocals have a vacant look in their eyes to match the ignorant bumper sticker on the smoking diesel pickup they tow their moto toys around in but much of Nor-Cal has a similar vibe and you will need a thick skin to tolerate much of the derp that gets spewed there.
    Seems to be a problem in many rural areas. Can be avoided by choosing places that were settled by hippies going "back to the land". In northern California, that would be the Santa Cruz mountains and Mendocino county mostly. Some went to Oregon.

Your neighbor got eaten by a bear while riding?! Yikes!

They got grizzlies up there, don't they?

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    SMH. I got three words to add to this thread right now that everyone will say none of us saw coming 17 years ago.

"Redwood City Gentrification".

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by EndurBro View Post
    As a surfer/mtn. biker, we're pretty much hosed. Where better to be than S.C.?
    Nowhere in Ca. is as good as here for both sports. Maybe somewhere in New Zealand?
    North shore of Oahu actually has a pretty awesome trail system but you sure aren't gonna save on housing costs.
    I've actually heard some good things about South Carolina, didn't realize it was the promised land, though

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Think he meant Santa Cruz.
    Though it looked like South Carolina had some surf recently
    (when they got hit by that hurricane)

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

I spent a summer van'n it in Polebridge in the early 2000's which 13 or so years later seems to be one of the most memorable times of my life. That is some dramatic country to say the least. I went back through the area last summer (Kalispel, Missoula, Bozeman, Whitefish etc) with an eye of possibly moving there. For lack of a better word I was dumbfounded by how much the area has been built up in the last 10 years. Infact, of all my travelings around the continent that area has grown more/faster than any other area I'm aware of no contest. While the traffic lights, big box stores, and endless sea of condo's may be trivial to the Bay area, none of it even existed last time I went through there. With that said I have a good friend that grew up in Helena and now lives in Lakeside who can actually make a good living so there's that.
    Last edited by WHALENARD; 10-17-2016 at 03:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by acudoc View Post
    Moved to Redding in 07 and have not looked back. I live on 3.5 acres near Whiskeytown lake. Lots of killer singletrack out my back door and more trails being made(Redding Trail Alliance). I can bike from my house into town 5+ miles on a paved trail(check out sacramento river trail). Surrounded by the Trinity Alps(epic backpacking) to the west, Mt. Shasta(skiing) 1 hour to the north, and Mt Lassen to the east. Some of the best fly fishing in the world year round. No traffic...cheaper housing....a few new breweries(Wildcard's Tied house on Pine St.)....the very cool Cascade theater(1935 art deco) has good venues regularly. Great mexican at Reconcitos etc. It can get hot in the summer but not for to long. Big box stores if you need them. 2 hospitals(good for jobs). Administrative hub for Shasta county(jobs). Huge potential for growth(there is a group trying to get a UC school here). Somewhat conservative but it's slowly changing. People are nice. Great place to raise kids. Good schools, e.g. there is a public Montessori school down the street. Reminds me of Bend without the money and hype. Oh did I mention the lake? Never going back to the city. If I ever move again in will be north to BC. Hope I don't regret letting the cat out of the bag. Good luck!
    I am extremely interested in the Redding area up to and beyond Weaverville on the 299. The limited riding I have done there has been exceptional. The heat and the rednecks scare me a bit, but that is probably just the bay area that has made me soft.

How bad is the weed growing issue in Trinity Co. and down to Redding?

President of the Internet

- Accessibility/Quality of biking: Ride out my door, to either west or east side of Mt. Ashland. .5 miles from skate park for shuttle pickup if I'm feeling lazy, 3/4 mile to downtown (standing stone brewery!)
    -Outdoor/other nature activities Have barely scratched the surface on this one. Applegate lake, rogue river, hyatt lake, lake of the woods, shasta within an hour, crescent city 2 hours, Umpqua river, etc. Not to mention live 40 minutes from Mt Ashland ski resort.
    -Other sports availableHiking, trail running, kayaking, backpacking, camping. All the usual suspects
    -Warmer in the summer, colder in the winter. Snows a handful of times a year but normally melts off in a day or 2. Yet within a 25 min drive to go play in the snow with siskyou summit right there. The endless water ways and forested canyons are a way to escape the heat
    - Beauty of the area Google image "ashland oregon" and see for yourself!
    - Jobs cost of living Biggest downside. Jobs can be scarce unless you are in the healthcare field, which luckily my wife and I are. Cost of living is very high compared to rest of Southern Oregon, but you can go 10 min north to Talent or Phoenix and get a steal of a house. Coming from Marin, prices are rock bottom.
    -People, culture, education Definitly an interesting culture. College brings young students and professors. Schools are some of the best in Oregon. Some drifter/hippie types runnign around downtown, but cops keep a good handle on them. If you are from Marin, its a mix of Fairfax and San Rafael, without the latino population. Basically a lot of Funk mixed with upscale mixed with family. I haven't found it to be racially intolerant, but definitly not as diverse as SR or Novato.
    -Traffic/airports Traffic? What traffic? Medford has an airport with commercial flights similar to Santa Rosa airport.
    -Food Lots of it. Ashland Coop is a killer grocery store with great organic and local food if thats your thing (big draw for me). Plenty of dives around the college and downtown hole-inthe wall spots. Caldera brew co and standing stone are the local breweries. Growler guys looks like a cool spot though have yet to get in there. Though I'm not sure there is a good, authentic taqueria.
    - Growing economy or collapsing Ashland home values keep going up up up, and rogue valley seems to be growing. Although it is somewhat isolated, so I know job situation can be tight. Would have to do more research on this one.
    -Kid stuff Biggest draw for me. I have a 4 and 3 year old, and am so pumped they are gonna grow up here. Schools are top notch, parks everywhere, bike path runs through town (10 min ride to the hands on science museum; think exploratorium in SF but smaller and cheaper), water slide park and other water parks for summer, and everything the outdoors has to offer. Within 10 minutes of us bringing our kids to the neighborhood for the first time, we counted 8 kids, and our kids made instant friends. It definitly has the old school community vibe. You actually see kids on bikes and outside on weekends. oh, and LITHIA PARK! World class park above town along the watershed.

Anyways, we chose to leave Marin for a variety of reasons. I thought I may regret it but so far am so pumped and ready for something new, no traffic, no more MCL and footpeople and rangers looking to give tickets. Just good clean living!
    Plus, there is the Perfect Cycling Trail that is absolutely empty 11 months of the year that runs through some epic, lonely country.
    Sometimes you eat the trail, sometimes the trail eats you.

Thinking of buying a home?
    http://Search-Sacramento-Homes.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Reno has been mentioned already but I'll bring it up again. Tahoe and Downieville are only 45-1:30 depending on where you're going. I can ride Peavine from my door - 2 miles of pavement gets me 20-30 miles of dirt very easily. In the winter there's plenty of skiing or there is Auburn and Nevada City. Tons of other outdoor opportunities.
    There is no state income tax. Cost of living is OK depending on your job.
    Traffic? That's funny. For those weekend trips back to the Bay, you're against the Tahoe tourist traffic.
    We have an airport in town with Southwest, Jetblue, United, American, Alaskan etc..
    Weather is mild and what snow we get melts off quickly, although it can be windy.
    There are a ton of breweries and descent dining options.
    Our schools are in the tank - if you have kids, don't put them in a Nevada school. University Nevada Reno is OK - on par with a California State University.
    Yes, we have casinos and strip clubs if you're into that sort of thing. If you're not, stay out of them and you'll forget they're even here.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Ohmygato, sent you an email.

There are no outdoor grows allowed in redding and shasta county as far as I know. They may have banned indoor grows as well. It has gotten better. Trinity county is another story.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by acudoc View Post
    There are no outdoor grows allowed in redding and shasta county as far as I know. They may have banned indoor grows as well. It has gotten better. Trinity county is another story.
    Redding got meth instead.

Safety Consultant
    What about Arcata? Tell me about living in Arcata. Some friends just bought a house up there and it looks really nice on paper. Not just the biking, which I assume is awesome, but bonuses and pitfalls of local life.
    I'm here to kick ass and drink beer. Looks like we're all out of beer. -- Gandhi

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Just mimic-ing the one word answers.
    you mean two words?

Ok...

Grand Junction has cheap housing and cost of living. Good riding in town, epic Fruita 20-30 minutes away, world class 1-1.5h in Moab, summertime riding in the Colorado mtns (see Crested Butte and Durango). I-80 bikeparks.

Climbing nearby, a national monument nearby, Colorado, Gunnison, & Dolores River for boating

5000ft so not too cold, not scorching either.

Economy is not so good, so you won't see tech bros show up there anytime soon. But that also means there are opportunities for entrepreneurs.

schools i have no idea...

so basically the priorities in life, lol

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Syncro View Post
    you mean two words?

Ok...

Grand Junction has cheap housing and cost of living. Good riding in town, epic Fruita 20-30 minutes away, world class 1-1.5h in Moab, summertime riding in the Colorado mtns (see Crested Butte and Durango). I-80 bikeparks.

Climbing nearby, a national monument nearby, Colorado, Gunnison, & Dolores River for boating

5000ft so not to cold, not scorching either.

Economy is not so good, so you won't see tech bros show up there anytime soon. But that also means there are opportunities for entrepreneurs.

schools i have no idea...
    Fine job.

And folks, don't be shy to repeat a city and add your take to it. More opinions on one place is key.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    What would be really handy is... What are the DOWNSIDES? What has been the hardest to stomach.

Honesty is best.
    I love this. You're clearly biased and it seems more like you are trying to justify to yourself why you are in the bay area and not on where you would actually like to live. Wake up!

P.S. Why do people like Bend? That's about the worst f-ing place I've ever been. One of the fakest, least genuine places I've ever been. Probably used to be a rad spot before every yuppie from the Bay decided it was "cool".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JefedelosJefes View Post
    I love this. You're clearly biased and it seems more like you are trying to justify to yourself why you are in the bay area and not on where you would actually like to live. Wake up!
    Sounds to me like you're projecting. Asking for both pros and cons is pretty logical.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    P.S. Why do people like Bend? That's about the worst f-ing place I've ever been. One of the fakest, least genuine places I've ever been. Probably used to be a rad spot before every yuppie from the Bay decided it was "cool".
    I would tend to agree with that sentiment though I know & love plenty of good people there. What I don't get is all the hype on the town or even more so on the riding. The riding there is good for about 3 weeks & the town
    BLOOOOOOOWWWWWSSS!! Bend is barely on the radar as a destination for anybody I ride with here in Oregon for the last 10 years or more. Bring your freshly starched Arc'teryx business suit and your 350 diesel that's never seen a dirt road or a day of work. Jeeze that place sucks.

Dirty by Nature
    Jun 2010
    The bitterness is strong today!

Easy cure: Hero dirt! #lifeisgood #weekendattahoe
    Friends don't let friends ride e-"bikes" on dirt.

Nature is not a sidewalk.

fc

DA HECK?

You are one angry person (hopefully just today). For every place, I want to hear what's good about a place and what's bad. Who it's for and not.
    IPA will save America

Paper or plastic?
    Great plus of the Bay Area is the pool of jobs available. Sucky part of living in more rural places is that it's a lot harder to find a new job if you need to. Telecommuting is still pretty limited.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtb'er
    We entertained the idea of leaving El Dorado Hills for no other reason than a change of scenery, and we did some research and exploring last year. Some goals were less suburbia, a little more rural but not too far from conveniences, good trail network that can be ridden from the house, and not live in snow all winter. Near a lake or river or pond would be good too.

Groveland: too remote and the trail infrastructure just isn't there yet
    Twain Harte: still too remote and small and Sonora wasn't appealing even though it is closer to Pinecrest
    Nevada City: Loved it, met most criteria, just couldn't find the right place for our budget
    Redding: Super appealing to me but couldn't the girl past the heat. I think Redding (the area) will be Bay Area-ized soon enough
    Grand Junction, CO was on the list but we didn't make it out there for a visit. I hope I don't regret it
    Boise: Fit lots of criteria and closer to the girl's folks, but never got around to looking seriously.
    Ashland: Spent a week there several years ago and liked it but didn't fall in love with it (didn't ride much when there though)
    Mendo: Compelling but not in the cards

Ended up moving a mile from our old house when the "right" property suddenly popped up and we got it. Now I just plan on making EDH trails great again. :-)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast