Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,100 of 1510
    always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by fitek View Post
    Ok Seattle people, how's the area east of Redmond, north of Sahalee? Schools are well rated, houses a bit older but consequently cheaper than Issaquah. I drove 202 and it looks like it could turn into a disaster (it's only two lanes until the entrance to Sahalee, which was busy even on a Saturday).

Google Maps says its a few minutes longer drive to Duthie but it's a shorter drive to Bellevue so the time in the car after work might not really change much...

Drive time to Galbraith is slightly shorter.

Dunno if 520 gets less traffic into Seattle proper since there's a toll road?
    Youíre set on Seattle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    Hadley hubs for sale

always licking the glass
    I got some gruff from the guy at the WA DOL office (who saw my mailing address) but generally no. Especially if you fit in with the outdoor culture. I definitely keep my CA origins on the down low though.
    Everywhere thatís not California they will give you grief about IF:
    1) you complain about the local Mexican food
    2) you get all big about ďthe BayĒ
    3) you make it seem like you try to change your new home into a remote slice of California.
    4) you donít change your license plates

They will not give you grief if you try to be a member of the community. Find your local people. That helps.

One of the Republican gubernatorial candidates here is running on the platform of not turning Colorado into California. Not sure it will work: plenty of California transplants here. At the same time, there are enough natives who hate Californians.
    Hadley hubs for sale

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Commuting from east redmond to Bellevue or Bothell is pretty easy. Dont do it to seattle. 202 is a breeze till you get to 520. 520 is a mess.

Live in east redmond on 202, have tokul as your local trails 20 mins away. Profit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post
    Everywhere thatís not California they will give you grief about IF:
    1) you complain about the local Mexican food
    The mexican food sucks pretty much everywhere outside of CA and Mexico, to be fair.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Californiagrown View Post
    The mexican food sucks pretty much everywhere outside of CA and Mexico, to be fair.
    Iíve had better Mexican food in Chicago, VA and CO than Iíve ever had in CA.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post

you pay more than $8 for it?

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Youíre set on Seattle?
    Welcome to Seattle, fitek. Please be ready to dig and contribute to EMBA and WMBC -- the reason why this is a great place to live and ride is that we've put in effort to build the trails and the community. We welcome anyone who wants to be part of that.

always licking the glass
    Personally Iím not a big fan of Mexican food so it doesnít matter to me.
    Hadley hubs for sale

always licking the glass
    Where in CO? There are some decent places in the Denver metro but always looking for new eats.
    Hadley hubs for sale

Moderator Moderator
    Some of the best Mexican food I have ever had was in Ft. Bragg NC, at Pedro's Mexican Restaurant. Pedro Osornio was a legend, and his food was legendary. What an amazing life. RIP, Pedro.

Pedro Osornio, Fayetteville's first Mexican restaurateur, dies - News - The Fayetteville Observer - Fayetteville, NC

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    I just tell people I grew up in NC. The conversation turns to NASCAR, rifles and Budweiser.
    Oh good! I've got a chance with my big pickup truck that I use to tow my bass boat around with. And I DO like NASCAR... (just won't bring up F1 or hazy IPA's)

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregd72 View Post
    Oh good! I've got a chance with my big pickup truck that I use to tow my bass boat around with. And I DO like NASCAR... (just won't bring up F1 or hazy IPA's)
    Formula 1? Is that the stuff people use to slick their hair back?

When I was a kid my goals were: to have a skateboard 1/2 pipe and MX track in my yard, a Ranger bass boat, and to deer hunt daily.

As an adult: I moved to Palo Alto, became a vegan, Zen buddhist, surfer, and mountain biker.

I got close to achieving my goals! I do still have a southern accent however!

Moderator Moderator
    Where in CO? There are some decent places in the Denver metro but always looking for new eats.
    In Denver...

I've had some of my best Mexican meals at La Loma in Denver. La Loma They moved off of Speer area just west of I-25 to Broadway in downtown Denver last year (huge downgrade in terms of parking) but the green chile is among the best I've had in New Mexico, Colorado, Arizona, Texas, Utah, and California.

Post-ride tacos at El Taco De Mexico it's not fancy, but always a top contender or winner in the Westword Mexican food shootouts for best Taco's and Green Chile. Damn good Mexican food. Everything on the menu in that place is stellar. Long waits at times though, that place has been found.
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Youíre set on Seattle?

It seems to make the most sense, at least for now.

That said we personally like the Gorge and Bellingham the best so far. The Gorge is a bit underpopulated, and seems short on stuff to do in winter. Neither place has much in the way of work and schools aren't as good as East Seattle. I think I could live with those deficiencies, my wife says she can live with em, but I have a hard time believing her!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    Welcome to Seattle, fitek. Please be ready to dig and contribute to EMBA and WMBC -- the reason why this is a great place to live and ride is that we've put in effort to build the trails and the community. We welcome anyone who wants to be part of that.
    Hehe, thanks. I love to dig!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Formula 1? Is that the stuff people use to slick their hair back?

When I was a kid my goals were: to have a skateboard 1/2 pipe and MX track in my yard, a Ranger bass boat, and to deer hunt daily.

As an adult: I moved to Palo Alto, became a vegan, Zen buddhist, surfer, and mountain biker.

I got close to achieving my goals! I do still have a southern accent however!
    I built the skateboard 1/2 pipe in my back yard when I was 15. First big project where my dad let me use all his power tools without him being around. I learned a lot from the experience and the 1/2 pipe was rad!

Living in CA the last 30 years has NOT pulled my love for bass fishing out of me. Getting the bass boat (BassCat --- NOT a Ranger...) five years ago got me to the front of the boat and off the bank.

But the cycling (road and MTB) definitely was a result of my CA "roots".

Probably never will do the deer hunting. But you never know...

Dream it, Do it.
    Commuting from east redmond to Bellevue or Bothell is pretty easy. Dont do it to seattle. 202 is a breeze till you get to 520. 520 is a mess.

Live in east redmond on 202, have tokul as your local trails 20 mins away. Profit.
    202 toward Redmond can be slow in stretches after about 7:20am or so for about 5 miles before getting on 520. Certainly stop lights will slow up traffic.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

fc
    head minion Administrator
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Any place that has changed a lot will have people who'd been there prior being unhappy with the changes. And then leaving... Bay Area, Seattle, Portland. Nothing new there/here. News media likes to report on it, but it's nothing new.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    That editorial is very obviously coming from a much more conservative POV than is typical of a Seattle resident. Seattle is a hyper-liberal bastion, no doubt. But it normalizes to typical on the east side of the lake... and then gets appalachia-populist REAL QUICK once you get into the outskirts of the sound and into the more rural areas. Notice that the author isnt moving away from the seattle area, just out of Seattle proper... probably less than 15 minutes away from where he lived in seattle.

I did a few years in SF around 2011 and got my fill of living in a big city. Seattle has similar problems. But the suburbs around Seattle do not have the same livability problems that the suburbs around SF do.

fc
    Any place that has changed a lot will have people who'd been there prior being unhappy with the changes. And then leaving... Bay Area, Seattle, Portland. Nothing new there/here. News media likes to report on it, but it's nothing new.
    Agreed. Change is constant.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I visited Portland and Bend two weeks ago for the first time. Trip was with a buddy of mine mostly to ride some MTBs and check out the areas.

Portland - Seems like a fairly cool post-industrial city. Weather was super nice when I was there (80s during the day). Forecast called for rain one day but it only drizzled a bit here and there. We stayed in the Pearl district which seems like a lot cleaner and cooler version of SF's SoMA district. I didn't have a whole lot of interactions with people but they seemed friendly when I did. The bike shops I went into always offered beer or coffee. The drivers seemed to understand the idea of a passing lane. Coming from other parts of the country I imagine how someone could think that this city had a ton of hipsters, but having lived in SF long enough I barely batted and eye. FWIW the hipsters didn't seem like techies that self-adopted themselves into the culture as a lot of them here do. We didn't explore the city all that much (we stayed on the West side of the river) but the city seems pretty small overall. We did two different trail systems (Post and one other that I forgot the name of). The riding was good, but about an hour+ away each time. I could see how it's a "weekend only" sorta thing. Lots of up and down though and the trails could get pretty technical.

Bend - I'm gonna say it straight up, I thought this town was boring. Yeah, tons of cool breweries, a really cool bike shop (Bike Project - super nice guys, very boutique, hit them up if you're in town), a decent number of spots to eat, but very, very quiet. Even on the weekends I saw a decent number of cars out but barely any people. The place felt like a ghost town in some way. The town is also very white. Definitely whiter than Boulder, CO if you consider that place super white. For riding we went into the Deschutes National forest and did the Phil's trail system and some other trails connecting to it. Phil's seems very-XC riding at best. It's not really steep at all in any place and I saw a large amount of people riding CX/gravel bikes. I could see myself getting bored of this loop really quickly. Our trail bikes were definitely overkill for this. We also did the Funner/Tiddlywinks combo. This was more interesting but the climb wasn't really steep enough for my liking. There were some technical sections but I still felt this could have easily been done on a FS XC bike if you are better skilled than me (which is likely). As far as the weather went, Bend was still pretty cold. It got into the 30s at night and in the mornings. There was some snow when the elevation got into the high 3,000s. We had to deal with some snow patches in our rides. It evens snow'ed for about 3 minutes on one of our rides. Talking to the guys at Bike Project it seems like there is a lot of great riding that is farther out there, but it's too early in the season and those places are still snowed in.

All this being said Oregon is definitely really pretty. It was a nice change from the parts of the bay area that are dusty. I also really appreciated that the trails were way less crowded and that they take MTBing seriously. They have some common sense rules like other trail users (including hikers) should yield to bikers coming downhill. This is in stark contrast to the bay area where the hikers seem to think you're able to stop immediately when going 20mph on a 17% descent.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    One of the best ways to remedy traffic in the BA or other urban areas is to build super high tech high speed rail. BART is just too old now and over crowded. We need more as do other parts of the Country. The BA is not alone w/ traffic issues.

And in the BA, we have the right set up for high speed rail to be built to the Central Valley. (Sacto, Stockton and even Fresno). Shoot, a high speed rail train should be able to do even Fresno in under an hour. There is even in the works a bullet train from SJ to Fresno that will take under an hour.

And if the planners really plan this out, they could potentially have some traffic moving in the non commute direction. Say a station pick up to SF in Tracy thus making people in Livermore, Mountain Home and other areas travel the opposite direction. Tracy to SF in 20 minutes!!

Not only does this help traffic congestion but in an indirect way will help relieve the housing crisis as it will bring Central Valley communities closer to SF as this would now give renters/future buyers and even current homeowners more housing options. It might even drop housing prices and rents in SF and close to SF. Does anyone w/ an education and motivation really want to live in a rent controlled apartment the rest of their lives. I'm sure there are some but I can't imagine making it my lifestyle. That's just me tho and we're all different.

It will take $$ and time but in the end it will make the BA a way better place to live. So Cal should develop a mass transit system as well. Looks like Seattle needs one too!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mb323323 View Post
    One of the best ways to remedy traffic in the BA or other urban areas is to build super high tech high speed rail. BART is just too old now and over crowded. We need more as do other parts of the Country. The BA is not alone w/ traffic issues.

And in the BA, we have the right set up for high speed rail to be built to the Central Valley. (Sacto, Stockton and even Fresno). Shoot, a high speed rail train should be able to do even Fresno in under an hour. There is even in the works a bullet train from SJ to Fresno that will take under an hour.

And if the planners really plan this out, they could potentially have some traffic moving in the non commute direction. Say a station pick up to SF in Tracy thus making people in Livermore, Mountain Home and other areas travel the opposite direction. Tracy to SF in 20 minutes!!

Not only does this help traffic congestion but in an indirect way will help relieve the housing crisis as it will bring Central Valley communities closer to SF as this would now give renters/future buyers and even current homeowners more housing options. It might even drop housing prices and rents in SF and close to SF. Does anyone w/ an education and motivation really want to live in a rent controlled apartment the rest of their lives. I'm sure there are some but I can't imagine making it my lifestyle. That's just me tho and we're all different.

It will take $$ and time but in the end it will make the BA a way better place to live. So Cal should develop a mass transit system as well. Looks like Seattle needs one too!
    This!

Unfortunately, the Trump administration killed the high speed rail project and all the upgrades to Caltrain, so we're pretty much stuck with what we've got plus whatever can be funded by regional measure 3 if it passes.
    Which is still more than many of these other cities have for transit.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Uh...it's not the same.
    What's happening now is a whole other ball of wax. This is unprecedented.
    If I get into then this will turn into a furball, so I'm not going there.
    I will say this, I woke up one day and found myself WELL right of center, and I didn't start out that way. I've changed maybe 15%, the rest was the left going down the rabbit-hole and I couldn't follow.

Seattle/King County is setting the tone, unfortunately that means even for Eastern Wa and if this onslaught can't be stopped then I guess the next stop is Montana. People used to say that about Wa.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit21 View Post
    Uh...it's not the same.
    I will say this, I woke up one day and found myself WELL right of center, and I didn't start out that way. I've changed maybe 15%, the rest was the left going down the rabbit-hole and I couldn't follow.

Seattle/King County is setting the tone, unfortunately that means even for Eastern Wa and if this onslaught can't be stopped then I guess the next stop is Montana. People used to say that about Wa.
    How do you see it as different than those places mentioned?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    How do you see it as different than those places mentioned?
    Portland (as much as I've historically LOVED that city) is largely in the same boat.
    I can't speak for Colorado. I'm not going to actively peruse moving to Montana at this point, but I'm leaving the door open so to speak.

Oh and anyone who thinks Ca doesn't have good Mexican food hasn't been to old town San Diego. Extremely good, and that's coming from a half Mexian guy who grew up with a Mexican grandmother making fresh tortillas every day.

Paper or plastic?
    Uh...it's not the same.

Coasts are definitely attracting a well heeled liberal population.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by alxrmrs View Post
    I visited Portland and Bend two weeks ago for the first time. Trip was with a buddy of mine mostly to ride some MTBs and check out the areas.

Portland - Seems like a fairly cool post-industrial city... We didn't explore the city all that much (we stayed on the West side of the river) but the city seems pretty small overall.
    It is small. Makes it more bikable. And drivers aren't usually douches to cyclists like you said.

We did two different trail systems (Post and one other that I forgot the name of). The riding was good, but about an hour+ away each time. I could see how it's a "weekend only" sorta thing. Lots of up and down though and the trails could get pretty technical.
    84 East is pretty awful around rush hour but it lightens up tremendously once you get past 205. It'd still be an hour out to there after that though.

Bend - I'm gonna say it straight up, I thought this town was boring. Yeah, tons of cool breweries, a really cool bike shop (Bike Project - super nice guys, very boutique, hit them up if you're in town), a decent number of spots to eat, but very, very quiet.
    I think this is appealing if you're looking at it from a family POV. I like going to Crux w the family. Large grass area outside perfect for letting kids run around while you drink your beer.

The trails are more flowey in Bend. I prefer Post.

always licking the glass
    Portland (as much as I've historically LOVED that city) is largely in the same boat.
    I can't speak for Colorado. I'm not going to actively peruse moving to Montana at this point, but I'm leaving the door open so to speak.

Oh and anyone who thinks Ca doesn't have good Mexican food hasn't been to old town San Diego. Extremely good, and that's coming from a half Mexian guy who grew up with a Mexican grandmother making fresh tortillas every day.
    Colorado is going through it too. People leave Colorado now to go to Montana. It doesnít help that Denver got votes #3 place to live in the country and Colorado Springs #2 (which to most of us in Denver say, wtf?).

I bug my realtor every so often to get a feel of whatís going on in the local market here. Still cheaper than the Bay Area, but outpacing US average very quickly.

The best Mexican food I had is in Santa Maria, California. That said, the Mexican food that ends up in Colorado is regional, just like the California Mexican food comes from the Baja area. One of the places we found here in Colorado reminds us of the Mexican place in Santa Maria, So Iíve had good Mexican food in both states. Iím still not a fan of Tex-mex.
    Hadley hubs for sale

Moderator Moderator
    Colorado is going through it too. People leave Colorado now to go to Montana. It doesnít help that Denver got votes #3 place to live in the country and Colorado Springs #2 (which to most of us in Denver say, wtf?).

I bug my realtor every so often to get a feel of whatís going on in the local market here. Still cheaper than the Bay Area, but outpacing US average very quickly.
    And Fort Collins just awarded #1 place for riding bikes. Boulder #3, Colorado Springs not too far behind. Dirt cheap compared to Bay Area, but the winter months will likely keep it that way.

https://cityratings.peopleforbikes.o...ities-ratings/

My wife is from Montana, she'll never move back. You think winter is long here sometimes? It just finally stopped snowing up there according to her parents.

Formerly of Kent

Want to leave Bay Area. Where to go?

Quote Originally Posted by 2melow View Post
    And Fort Collins just awarded #1 place for riding bikes. Boulder #3, Colorado Springs not too far behind. Dirt cheap compared to Bay Area, but the winter months will likely keep it that way.

My wife is from Montana, she'll never move back. You think winter is long here sometimes? It just finally stopped snowing up there according to her parents.
    My wifeís family lives in FC, I worked for the city, and have lived there for more than a year, all told. Iím up there every other weekend these days.

Sitting in COS right now. FC is light years ahead of COS when it comes to being bike friendly. The only way COS beats FC is the proximity of USFS land to town. Otherwise, itís a very unfriendly to cyclists, from infrastructure to attitudes of the residents.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I think this is appealing if you're looking at it from a family POV.
    I definitely see that but I'm a single male, so probably a no go for me.

I have a hard time believing any of these lists. Sunnyvale, CA got #1 place to live a bunch of times and they don't even have a downtown area. Of all the bay area cities, Sunnyvale is one of the dead last places on my list that I'd ever live.

Is this list for people that like to ride bikes recreationally, or for getting around town and going to the farmers market? They have very different implications. You can have a dead flat city with tons of bike lanes and no trails or real road climbs and still rank highly according to some metrics.

always licking the glass

I have a hard time believing any of these lists. Sunnyvale, CA got #1 place to live a bunch of times and they don't even have a downtown area. Of all the bay area cities, Sunnyvale is one of the dead last places on my list that I'd ever live.

Is this list for people that like to ride bikes recreationally, or for getting around town and going to the farmers market? They have very different implications. You can have a dead flat city with tons of bike lanes and no trails or real road climbs and still rank highly according to some metrics.
    People for Bikes is based out of Boulder. Tim who used to run IMBA, runs them now. All they care about is city biking. Boulder sucks for mtb access. Except the bike park.

For best places to live, this is the main general report in the US that people use:

https://realestate.usnews.com/places...places-to-live

I wouldnít agree with #1 (Austin) or Sunnyvale as you stated. I also donít agree with #2 and donít want Denver anywhere on that list.

From what I can tell, most people donít stay in Denver very long (anecdotally Iíve heard itís about 4-5 years, either to move back towards family or jobs). Itís a big metro in the middle of nowhere, and itís pretty isolated from the rest of the country in many ways.
    Hadley hubs for sale

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    A good friend's wife grew up in Bend and she also called it boring (she left before they had kids). When I was there in April, we hung out at Phil's Trail head and there were tons of kids on bikes. The parents were telling us most of the schools are decent, it's clean and safe, it's easy to go out with kids, and there's even stuff like programs that do after school skiing (whuuut? I saw school buses headed up to Mt Hood in HR too). I remember a couple summers ago they had bands playing downtown and beers for sale on the sidewalk. We let our then 2 year old play w the other kids while we kicked back with beers and live music. I think they have that event *every* week during the summer. Sweet.

I'm guessing the CA people headed up there are mostly upper middle class, outdoorsy families. I find Bend too remote and the MTB not good enough, but honestly it still seems like it'd be a better way to live. We're kind of going a bit overboard with analysis on this thread (and you haven't seen my spreadsheets, I'm a master of overanalyzing).

I hope FC appreciates the very serious decisions this thread is driving Although I dunno if I'll ever be able to admit it... "Hey ma, I'm movin' outta here!" "How come?" "Well there was this thread on MTBR..."

Formerly of Kent
    I find it strange that people are complaining about Bend.

People donít move to Bend for the city. They move there for the things they can do outside.

Also, if people find Philís boring, they should explore the hundreds of other miles of trail accessible from town.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Boulder sucks for mtb access. Except the bike park.
    MTBProject shows quite a few trails, also I see a fair amount of great vids from some guys on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRbs3dmQcYU

I'll let you know in a two months after I spend a few weeks out there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    It is small. Makes it more bikable. And drivers aren't usually douches to cyclists like you said.

84 East is pretty awful around rush hour but it lightens up tremendously once you get past 205. It'd still be an hour out to there after that though.

I think this is appealing if you're looking at it from a family POV. I like going to Crux w the family. Large grass area outside perfect for letting kids run around while you drink your beer.

The trails are more flowey in Bend. I prefer Post.

The best Mexican food I had is in Santa Maria, California. That said, the Mexican food that ends up in Colorado is regional, just like the California Mexican food comes from the Baja area. One of the places we found here in Colorado reminds us of the Mexican place in Santa Maria, So Iíve had good Mexican food in both states. Iím still not a fan of Tex-mex.

People donít move to Bend for the city. They move there for the things they can do outside.

Also, if people find Philís boring, they should explore the hundreds of other miles of trail accessible from town.

nd d

I'm not complaining, I'm just saying it's not my cup of tea. I'm a single guy, I like to ride my bike but I also like to go and hang out with friends and meet other people my age. This seems like a no-go in Bend. As for the trails, I pointed out that there are a couple really great trails out there but the road riding seems meh and all the trails are far away. This makes during the week riding a lot harder.

always licking the glass

I didnít ride Philís, I rode some other boring trails. It felt like a smooth Ft Ord.

Hadley hubs for sale

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I didnít ride Philís, I rode some other boring trails. It felt like a smooth Ft Ord.

I have heard a fair amount of people say Bend isn't their cup of tea. Apparently it is very XC oriented and no real variety in trails.

Moderator Moderator

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Had a great 3-day weekend in Portland and the Gorge. Good food, good riding, very friendly people.

Friday I took a morning BMX lesson from Levi at the Lumberyard indoor bike park. It was pretty quiet Friday 11am so we had the place to ourselves. I learned to barspin, a lip trick (whose name I forget), and practiced fakies. I went to Gateway Green afterwards, but my legs were done and it's a bit boring now that I've experienced Duthie and Valmont.

Saturday I joined a trail work event put on by HRATS and Evo (the store) to prepare for the race next Saturday. I ended up on a small team fixing two features on FMX which is a very intimidating jump line higher up on the mountain. The bottom feature had a 55 degree, 18 foot radius wooden take off, followed by a 30 foot gap and a landing that was too steep. We lowered the take off to 45 degrees and mellowed out the landing as well (and roughed it up a bit so it would be soft). By then a small crowd had formed and we were treated to an hour long show by three riders while we tuned the landing. We then rode down Egg Hunt to the Extended Play jumps, then Bad Moto Scooter to the staging area for Pfriem beer and sandwiches. Two hours later a smaller group returned to make more adjustments to FMX. I rode down solo, pausing at Bad Moto Scooter's start to admire the panoramic view of Mt Adams, the Columbia River, and Hood River valley. Once upon a time I was at Windance near HR downtown and Dave, the owner, asked if I wanted a job there. I raised my eyebrow, and politely declined: "Er, it'd be nice to live here, but I don't think the money part would work out." Dave shrugged, "We do a lot of living here." Sure enough. I had an awesome time and I highly recommend attending such events even if you don't live in the area.

Sunday, I figured I should take it easy, but I ended up at Daubenspeck park in Bingen, WA with my BMX. There's a bowl, a couple of walls and hips, but I wasn't really sure how to ride most of it and there was no one around on Mother's day in the AM to show me. I headed over to the HR concrete park, which is much bigger and more approachable. Quite a few kids there. I rode a small spine and quarter pipe, cuz that's all I can do. Then off to Post Canyon again to session Middle School, which is a jump line with table tops of a size that would normally be built as scarier gaps. Progression!

The guy from Evo in Seattle was excited that Raging River is set to open:
    17-mile MTB trail network opens near Seattle - Mtbr.comWant to leave Bay Area. Where to go?-31556675_238555376693637_2354978427217379328_n-1-.jpgWant to leave Bay Area. Where to go?-garypaaschfmx.jpg

Hella Olde
    I have heard a fair amount of people say Bend isn't their cup of tea. Apparently it is very XC oriented and no real variety in trails.
    You're misinformed, got bad directions, prefer tea to beer, or are a Bend COINTELPRO operative.

The mountain is further up the mountain from Phil's.
    Last edited by DH40; 05-14-2018 at 03:52 PM. Reason: spellar

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    You're misinformed, got bad directions, prefer tea to beer, or are a Bend COINTELPRO operative.

Haha i doubt it. Multiple sources with no knowledge of each other, and one of them being about as well connected to the MTB scene in bend as you can get. They all said missed prefer the long steeper, loamier, more "PNW" type of trails. I assume that Bend trails are typically a mellower grade, smoother, with sandy/super dry dirt? IDK, never been.

Its all personal preference. It just goes to show you that one persons MTB mecca, in another persons "meh" trail system. Different strokes for different folks.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by andytiedye View Post
    Unfortunately, the Trump administration killed the high speed rail project and all the upgrades to Caltrain, so we're pretty much stuck with what we've got plus whatever can be funded by regional measure 3 if it passes.
    How does high speed rail to Los Angeles help with local traffic?

Sacramento plutocrats and their developer friends sold us on 10B bond ten years ago that would barely cover actual cost to ride from Fresno to Bakersfield, or whatever the boondoggle they are now building.

For all that money we could have electrified and upgraded Caltrain and finished BART to San Jose, and have left over to build a 380 to 238 bridge, and maybe do a full BART loop. I guess that would have lined less pockets than burying our tax money somewhere in the central valley with no plan to finish anything in the next quarter century.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    How does high speed rail to Los Angeles help with local traffic?

Sacramento plutocrats and their developer friends sold us on 10B bond ten years ago that would barely cover actual cost to ride from Fresno to Bakersfield, or whatever the boondoggle they are now building.

For all that money we could have electrified and upgraded Caltrain and finished BART to San Jose, and have left over to build a 380 to 238 bridge, and maybe do a full BART loop. I guess that would have lined less pockets than burying our tax money somewhere in the central valley with no plan to finish anything in the next quarter century.
    Yep agree w/ the train to LA. With Uber now and the cheap flight to LA, the flight is now no hassle and fast. The train is already obsolete. No need for it!

Way better to bring Sacto, Stockton and Fresno closer to the Bay via high speed rail. Would solve traffic issues as well as housing issues. But of course it make too much sense to the Politicos and would give them nothing to argue about and gain a Political base. Which is why I'm neither a Dem or Rep. I can watch the sides argue for a voting base from outside and see how ridiculous they are at times.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Yeh Bend only has XC riding Want to leave Bay Area. Where to go?-p5pb13172979.jpg

Hella Olde
    Haha i doubt it. Multiple sources with no knowledge of each other, and one of them being about as well connected to the MTB scene in bend as you can get. They all said missed prefer the long steeper, loamier, more "PNW" type of trails. I assume that Bend trails are typically a mellower grade, smoother, with sandy/super dry dirt? IDK, never been.

Its all personal preference. It just goes to show you that one persons MTB mecca, in another persons "meh" trail system. Different strokes for different folks.
    It's true that the trail system near town is flowy, fairly smooth, and without significant elevation. Up the mountain (Mt Bachelor) there is gnar, and it is also available in nearby mountains. It's also true that the real PNY fern and loam is not found anywhere nearby Bend, as it's a post-volcanic high-desert environment. But there is good riding to the west. The other weird thing about Bend is that when you ride in the main trail system near town, you are in a second or 3rd growth pine forest with no view in any direction, it's all trees - no real vistas until you get way up the mountain(s). It's kinda strange.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Yeh Bend only has XC riding Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p5pb13172979.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	416.2 KB 
ID:	1198209
    Hope whoever hit that jump the first few times has a good lawyer... haha.

Anyone have any good edits from the trails around bend? not just amateur GoPro footy, but an actual edit?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Hope whoever hit that jump the first few times has a good lawyer... haha.
    "Trails" like that step up 'spine set', back east, in a line with hips, ending ones reaching 25 and 30 foot gaps. Not a one and done. SURROUNDED by oak trees.

No lawyers.

Facepalm.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post

Agreed. I mean, c'mon.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    "Trails" like that step up 'spine set', back east, in a line with hips, ending ones reaching 25 and 30 foot gaps. Not a one and done. SURROUNDED by oak trees.

No lawyers.

Facepalm.
    Are you trying to describe the type of jump trails you have back east? Readable grammar would help.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Agreed. I mean, c'mon.
    Are there edits out there showcasing the trails? Can you post or link to them?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Are you trying to describe the type of jump trails you have back east? Readable grammar would help.
    The point is that no one that rides trails is a litigious pansy, and your comment is quite telling. If you need more clarification PM me. I'm not derailing this thread anymore than I already have. This ain't meant to be a pissing match between east coast/west coast trails.

Grammar was pretty clear if you were willing to accept what was being said.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I am typing this from Bellingham, WA. Very cool little city.

Was in Seattle over the weekend and will return at the end of the week to fly back.

Absolutely loving it here. I know it is a skewed experience since the weather has been outstanding. Love the mountains, ocean and lush greenery.

Seattle is such a clean city. All the construction makes SF look quaint in comparison.

Traffic is garbage though.

Rode Tokul, Tiger and Galbraith today. Galbraith has more to ride than all of NorCal put together.

Mountain biking (and cycling in general) not only isn't illegal here, but is supported and funded. Keep telling everyone I talk to on the trails how spoiled they are.

This is where I plan on moving to if I find a suitable job. If not, I'm coming back in July or August just to ride over a four day weekend.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    The point is that no one that rides trails is a litigious pansy, and your comment is quite telling. If you need more clarification PM me. I'm not derailing this thread anymore than I already have. This ain't meant to be a pissing match between east coast/west coast trails.

Grammar was pretty clear if you were willing to accept what was being said.
    Ah, so you were just trying to tell me off.

Haha yeah, it's quite telling that you don't ride DJs very much or you would have gotten the cliche lawyer joke... That the rider will need a lawyer for all those cases. Go back and look at the landing in the picture, champ.

Sorry a simple cliche'd joke aggravated you so much. Yikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Oh, so you you were making a joke about casing. Golf clap. I just figured that you were a sissy.

And I've been building and riding trails for years. Never heard that stupid joke. Never. And I've ridden with the likes of Foster, Homan, Doyle, and locals that rode almost as good as they did at some trails.

mtbr member

I like to see how many miles I can ride up (or down) Deschutes River Trail without dabbing a foot down. I think there are a few places I have never made it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Oh, so you you were making a joke about casing. Golf clap. I just figured that you were a sissy.

And I've been building and riding trails for years. Never heard that stupid joke. Never. And I've ridden with the likes of Foster, Homan, Doyle, and locals that rode almost as good as they did at some trails.
    Wow, crazy some people get so bent out of shape over a pretty bland joke. I'm glad we don't ride together because you'd probly try and fight me if I said to "lick the stamp and send it!" Haha.

Also, it for sure says something about a person if they feel the need to name drop on an internet forum to prove themselves to an internet stranger.

Maybe riding more would help you mellow out a bit? In which case, I'd say move out of the bay area for better access and better trails

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    i'm gonna put saddlebags on my motorcycle and go and check out the Seattle area.

i am so over work right now.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by shapethings View Post

Absolutely loving it here. I know it is a skewed experience since the weather has been outstanding. Love the mountains, ocean and lush greenery.
    The weather you experienced is the standard weather from Late May-Early September up here. Better weather than the Bay Area IMO because its just as sunny, but doesnt get the consistent heatwaves and 90 degree temps that you get down there.

For example, the upcoming week's weather: https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...4#.Wv2dD4gvzGg

My favorite spot in the greater Bham area is getting logged currently, but DNR is protecting a wide area on either side of the prominent creek that runs through it. Luckily, most of our trails run through this area so the only rerouting that is needed is to dig in entrances and exits from the new logging roads that now cut through the trail in areas. I talked with one of the logging folks out there last weekend when i was out digging and he said he had no issue with the trails, or us connecting them up to the new roads. Its nice when DNR, loggers, and MTBers can play nicely together. Here is a short vid from last weekend: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7qK7D-lQ9Y

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Wow, crazy some people get so bent out of shape over a pretty bland joke. I'm glad we don't ride together because you'd probly try and fight me if I said to "lick the stamp and send it!" Haha.

Also, it for sure says something about a person if they feel the need to name drop on an internet forum to prove themselves to an internet stranger.

Maybe riding more would help you mellow out a bit? In which case, I'd say move out of the bay area for better access and better trails
    Yeah, it say's that I actually ride trails and have ridden with some pretty notable people. I don't need to make cliche statements 'to sound' like I do. I'm proud as hell to drop those names. Can you?? Doubtful.

And who say's I'm not mellow?? You? Who are you?

I really don't think you're nearly the person/rider you smugly put across in here. But you sure sound like it from behind the keyboard.

And oh, I ride plenty, and obviously pretty well. But thanks for the invite!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Shush before I call the intarweb police!

I'm submitting a statement of work for a 2 year remote gig tomorrow. Fingers crossed. If I get my end of the deal tied up, the wifey needs to deliver and then we can roll.

I kinda assumed we'd need to be near one of the islands of prosperity that are forming (seems like most of the professional jobs are in a handful of places), but if I get this gig, I just need to be near enough to an airport to travel once in a while. Which actually makes things harder in a way, since there are less constraints, more choices...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    ^^Yessir!! And sorry for the derailment. Carry on.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    And I just got popcorn 🍿 out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Yeah, it say's that I actually ride trails and have ridden with some pretty notable people. I don't need to make cliche statements 'to sound' like I do. I'm proud as hell to drop those names. Can you?? Doubtful.

And who say's I'm not mellow?? You? Who are you?

I really don't think you're nearly the person/rider you smugly put across in here. But you sure sound like it from behind the keyboard.

And oh, I ride plenty, and obviously pretty well. But thanks for the invite!
    wow, you always get this mad when a Dad Joke goes over your head? Pretty sure this whole exchange says that you arent mellow.

And you arent the only one who has or does ride with people who get paid to ride bikes. Its just most folks dont feel the need to name drop to boost their online self esteem. Do you though, you aint hurting anybody on here.

Care to add any stoke or relevant info to this thread?

fc
    And I just got popcorn 🍿 out.
    Another volley has commenced.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Another volley has commenced.
    Ha! Figured this dropped, but I'll indulge!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    wow, you always get this mad when a Dad Joke goes over your head? Pretty sure this whole exchange says that you arent mellow.
    We're just reciprocating commentary here. I suppose that you would fit that same bill yourself, since you keep throwing out witty accusations that really don't quite fit, but sure do sound good.

I'm seriously not mad, not sure why you'd think that accusation even holds water. Hence why I haven't even acknowledged your saying it a couple times previously already. You're obviously just a guy that runs his mouth with ego, basically to sell your diatribe to folks that don't know better, or know you from Adam. You know it.

Am I mad for saying that? Should I type in all caps? Maybe this is a new laptop...I smashed the other one....

Pick a different accusation. That one just doesn't cut it.

And you arent the only one who has or does ride with people who get paid to ride bikes. Its just most folks dont feel the need to name drop to boost their online self esteem. Do you though, you aint hurting anybody on here.
    Listen, I wouldn't have even brought that up if you hadn't inferred that I didn't ride trails since I hadn't heard your cliche joke. Which honestly smacks of someone that doesn't actually really ride...just knows the lingo of know-it-all posers. I brought those guys up to say that I've been riding and building for a long time, and have been able to ride with people that blew my f-ing mind, and I never heard them or anyone else that I hucked my carcass over gaps with say anything as stupid as what you said there. I've never heard that dumb joke. Nor has ANYONE I ride with. Am I mad for saying that??? Nope, just saying it. But again, cling to that thread Bud. You don't have much more than your know-it-all persona on here. Care to make it interesting? I promise I won't fight you. I'll even help you up since under your own admission, you crash a lot. But that's because you really 'push that envelope' right? Doubt it.

"Boosting their online self-esteem". That one's richer than the rest of your diatribe. Go say that in the mirror. Have you read what you write on here? I actually think that's precisely what you do in here every time you post. And me calling you out on your lame joke as a mistake for you being a sissy, (while that actually probably isn't a mistake) has given you cause to accuse me of wanting to fight, being mad, having low self-esteem etc, etc, etc. All of which are completely off base and when you look at it, are unfounded by what was said by me to you...really illustrating that what you're saying about me quite interestingly describes YOU quite well.

Basically, your self-esteem was threatened by me, so you, much like a typical wimp, have thrown out multiple unfounded accusations and retorts which really haven't any validity or merit. I threw out some names (coulda thrown out more) as a response to your unfounded accusations. Big deal.

I think you're a posing piss ass. I'll bet money on it.

And that vid of yours?? Very impressive. I'd keep those in your vault, if you want to maintain the image your working on here. Let me guess, it was because you were riding a single speed and letting your dog (which ate your homework) keep up?? But, it usually is those that don't have anything worthy to show, that film and document everything they do. So thankful for GoPro's!

Care to add any stoke or relevant info to this thread?
    Nope, you apparently have that covered.

And, as I don't really have anything to add to it, I won't bother coming back to see what you say back. I really don't care. I know you're a prancing Nancy who can't ride, and honestly wouldn't put too much stock in anything you've been spouting like a arrogant (I mean, high self-esteemed and confident, your mom say's so!) know-it-all.

I could say more, but won't bother. My grammar's probably not good enough anyway. You wouldn't understand it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Sorry to derail the thread folks...

Not really popcorn worthy on my part...

I'm done.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Make MTBR great again!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I've been watching the weather in the PNW with jealousy. In the 80s and sunny, while theres fog and gusty SW wind in San Mateo last couple weeks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    We're just reciprocating commentary here. I suppose that you would fit that same bill yourself, since you keep throwing out witty accusations that really don't quite fit, but sure do sound good.

I'm seriously not mad, not sure why you'd think that accusation even holds water. Hence why I haven't even acknowledged your saying it a couple times previously already. You're obviously just a guy that runs his mouth with ego, basically to sell your diatribe to folks that don't know better, or know you from Adam. You know it.

Am I mad for saying that? Should I type in all caps? Maybe this is a new laptop...I smashed the other one....

Pick a different accusation. That one just doesn't cut it.

Listen, I wouldn't have even brought that up if you hadn't inferred that I didn't ride trails since I hadn't heard your cliche joke. Which honestly smacks of someone that doesn't actually really ride...just knows the lingo of know-it-all posers. I brought those guys up to say that I've been riding and building for a long time, and have been able to ride with people that blew my f-ing mind, and I never heard them or anyone else that I hucked my carcass over gaps with say anything as stupid as what you said there. I've never heard that dumb joke. Nor has ANYONE I ride with. Am I mad for saying that??? Nope, just saying it. But again, cling to that thread Bud. You don't have much more than your know-it-all persona on here. Care to make it interesting? I promise I won't fight you. I'll even help you up since under your own admission, you crash a lot. But that's because you really 'push that envelope' right? Doubt it.

"Boosting their online self-esteem". That one's richer than the rest of your diatribe. Go say that in the mirror. Have you read what you write on here? I actually think that's precisely what you do in here every time you post. And me calling you out on your lame joke as a mistake for you being a sissy, (while that actually probably isn't a mistake) has given you cause to accuse me of wanting to fight, being mad, having low self-esteem etc, etc, etc. All of which are completely off base and when you look at it, are unfounded by what was said by me to you...really illustrating that what you're saying about me quite interestingly describes YOU quite well.

Basically, your self-esteem was threatened by me, so you, much like a typical wimp, have thrown out multiple unfounded accusations and retorts which really haven't any validity or merit. I threw out some names (coulda thrown out more) as a response to your unfounded accusations. Big deal.

I think you're a posing piss ass. I'll bet money on it.

And that vid of yours?? Very impressive. I'd keep those in your vault, if you want to maintain the image your working on here. Let me guess, it was because you were riding a single speed and letting your dog (which ate your homework) keep up?? But, it usually is those that don't have anything worthy to show, that film and document everything they do. So thankful for GoPro's!

Nope, you apparently have that covered.

And, as I don't really have anything to add to it, I won't bother coming back to see what you say back. I really don't care. I know you're a prancing Nancy who can't ride, and honestly wouldn't put too much stock in anything you've been spouting like a arrogant (I mean, high self-esteemed and confident, your mom say's so!) know-it-all.

I could say more, but won't bother. My grammar's probably not good enough anyway. You wouldn't understand it.
    Got it. Youre not mad, and your post proves that. Thanks for posting something stoke worthy or informative.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Ok, back to back tests are the best way to compare products, I think. So next weekend is Bellingham, Seattle, and Portland in a 3 day weekend. Only one rule: I don't bring my bike. So I'll be ranking them based on other factors...

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Only one rule: I don't bring my bike.
    dude, don't go to Bellingham and not ride. Do it for the children.

There are Kona and Transition flagship stores right in Bellingham that you could get a demo at. Fanatik probably has a demo fleet as well. There is a Trek store. Probably a few more.

Portland is over 650k in population, Bellingham is over 87k. So there is going to be a lot more going on in Portland in comparison.

Bellingham to me, feels like a bigger Santa Cruz. I admit I went in thinking it would be some backwoods town with nothing going on, but was surprised with the vibe there.

Raging River just opened yesterdayÖ

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Yeh but last trip I was in Bellingham six hour and four we're on trails. I know it's the kind of riding I like but I have no idea if I'd like to live there. I wish I could find a place where people are chill and friendly like the gorge but I need more amenities than hood river provides.

I can tell you from browsing real estate I like the housing in Portland and Bellingham much better than east Seattle. Seattle tends to be ranch homes and mcmansions.

mtbr member
    I have heard a fair amount of people say Bend isn't their cup of tea.
    I'm one of those people. I like every other place I've ridden in Oregon better.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

fc
    "When the kids move on to college, let's move to Santa Cruz." LOLZ.

https://blog.sfgate.com/ontheblock/2...s-2-9-million/
    IPA will save America

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    i like Denver..but my sister lives there. (shudder)
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

always licking the glass
    Denver is NOT SF in the mountains, despite what people in this article say. Itís very much high desert plains, ok very high plains, and the culture is very different.

Please do not come here and try to make it SF at 5k. That pisses off everyone.
    Hadley hubs for sale

Moderator Moderator
    Denver is NOT SF in the mountains, despite what people in this article say. Itís very much high desert plains, ok very high plains, and the culture is very different.

HAHA, yeah Denver is not in the mountains. We get proper winter. There are no palm trees. We have weeks in January where the high temperature is 5 degrees for a week solid, too. I just had a Facebook feed from a year ago pop up earlier today where my daughter was shoveling close to a foot of snow on May 21, 2017 (in Fort Collins, 1 hour north of Denver). That bit typically scares the crap out of a lot of people from warmer areas who have Denver on their "short list" of where to move next. My parents were talking about moving out here from NC but they stayed put after a week solid of 5 degree highs in January while visiting us a few years back.

It is sunny 300+ days a year here, which is REALLY nice. We live for the rainy and overcast days and get some awesome hikes in when it is raining.

always licking the glass
    HAHA, yeah Denver is not in the mountains. We get proper winter. There are no palm trees. We have weeks in January where the high temperature is 5 degrees for a week solid, too. I just had a Facebook feed from a year ago pop up earlier today where my daughter was shoveling close to a foot of snow on May 21, 2017 (in Fort Collins, 1 hour north of Denver). That bit typically scares the crap out of a lot of people from warmer areas who have Denver on their "short list" of where to move next. My parents were talking about moving out here from NC but they stayed put after a week solid of 5 degree highs in January while visiting us a few years back.

It is sunny 300+ days a year here, which is REALLY nice. We live for the rainy and overcast days and get some awesome hikes in when it is raining.
    Donít forget the lovely hail storms we get every May that looks like someone takes a bag of golf balls to all the cars.

There is also no beach. We have snow, average is 80in annually. Yes many sunny days, and some of those are over the winter.

20 and sunny is different than 20 and cloudy.

You also have to like chapstick. You will go through a lot.

People here are not in a rush like they are in the Bay Area. If you like the hustle and bustle, stay there.
    Hadley hubs for sale

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    If it became SF at 5k I'd have to find another place to go yet again. If I meet a another self-described crypto-currency investor I'm gonna steal all his cash because you know, fiat currency is worthless.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    While SF and the surrounding area ranks at the very bottom of all the cities I have ever been to, Denver is only a little above it. Denver is actually not a bad place to hang out and have some fun, but certainly not an ideal spot if you like to play in the mountains. The people and politics are better there, too. Someone mentioned 5 degree days, but it's just as likely to be 55 in January. Could also see both within a couple days. I do have my reasons for preferring the Sierra to the CO Rockies, but both are amazing in their own way.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    If it became SF at 5k I'd have to find another place to go yet again. If I meet a another self-described crypto-currency investor I'm gonna steal all his cash because you know, fiat currency is worthless.
    Crypto is only worth what a Crypto investor will give you for it. It's not like you can go to the bank and cash in your Crypto. And since many people do most of their shopping online you could say the Dollar is Crypto as well. Only difference is you can go to the bank and withdraw it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Speaking of cryptos, I went looking for East Seattle events this weekend on Eventbrite and it's like, investing with crypto, how to flip houses, entrepreneur meetup, and then some yoga. Meanwhile, sounds like everyone in Bellingham is getting sloshed in public for the Ski to Sea race. There's also a dog and kite show.

always licking the glass

So far so good, at least for the past two years. I see more people from SoCal than I do from NorCal in my area, and that makes me happy, because theyíre smart enough to know its better to assimilate to the local culture than run in your face how great the Bay is.

There does seem to be quite a bit of NorCal transplants down south toward the DTC, but that feels more like San Jose than SF to me.
    Hadley hubs for sale

fc
    Speaking of cryptos, I went looking for East Seattle events this weekend on Eventbrite and it's like, investing with crypto, how to flip houses, entrepreneur meetup, and then some yoga. Meanwhile, sounds like everyone in Bellingham is getting sloshed in public for the Ski to Sea race. There's also a dog and kite show.
    Eventbrite research in a region is a good way to get insight about the activities in a place.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Meanwhile, sounds like everyone in Bellingham is getting sloshed in public for the Ski to Sea race.
    you don't like to party in the woods? haha. Goes to show you the range of fun outdoors stuff is readily available to you in this part of the world.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    Our plan: Two more years, sell the house, retire to South Lake, stalk Tahoe Jeff.
    The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    Our plan: Two more years, sell the house, retire to South Lake, stalk Tahoe Jeff.
    So jealous

fc
    I might be your neighbor. That's gonna be a very popular plan though and I wonder how it will be in a couple years. The road infrastructure really has to get upgraded.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    that is crazy talk

to be honest, i grew up in ElPaso..the mexican food there is heads/shoulders above what i can find in NorCal (FOR ME).

we do have great mexican food. so it is more about style. i cant get used to getting tortillas with a bowl of menudo. in EP, it was served with a buttered, toasted Bollilo bun.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    I might be your neighbor. That's gonna be a very popular plan though and I wonder how it will be in a couple years. The road infrastructure really has to get upgraded.
    Feel free to hit us up any time you need to borrow a cup of beer!

I hadn't noticed problems with the roads. But they definitely need to work on getting a Trader Joe's. And I'm thinking/hoping that most BA refugees will go to Truckee.

Griff- We'll leave the light on for ya!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    If you want to maximize returns, maybe sell now. I've been looking to buy for the past 5 months, and there's is a bit of a inflection point as off a month ago. Back in January thru March pretty much everything was selling within 1 week (open house weekend, offers due on Tuesday/Weds) with 5-20 offers and most places selling 20-25% above asking...that's including dumpster teardown houses.

Now with interest rates up, spring/summer inventory coming online, I'm seeing and getting calls from agents on homes that have been on the market for 3 weeks+ with price drops - and these are well maintained houses. Unheard off just a month or two ago.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Interesting prospective about Californians crowding Colorado... from 1994.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...=.08bf4a0a1d35

a television and film producer who fled the Los Angeles area in 1989, wised up after a hostile stranger administered a California yuppie test during one of her first visits to a Colorado Safeway.

"This guy put his hands on his hips and said, 'I'll prove that you're a California yuppie. Do you have a coffee bean grinder?' I said yes, and he said, 'See.' " Now, she says, "I'm smart enough not to trumpet the fact that I'm from California."
    Young and her husband, Dan, sold their 1,200-square-foot condo north of Los Angeles for $148,000 in 1989 and bought a $90,000 house in Castle Rock that was more than twice as big. Their car insurance dropped dramatically, as did the length of their commutes.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    Moose- I'm sure things will cool off, but our area (the edge of downtown San Jose) was a little late to the party, so it's hot now. We had a neighbor get 300K over asking last month. We could probably leave a year earlier if the market started to go south.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Moose- I'm sure things will cool off, but our area (the edge of downtown San Jose) was a little late to the party, so it's hot now. We had a neighbor get 300K over asking last month. We could probably leave a year earlier if the market started to go south.
    There are definitely some neighborhood considerations. I'm looking from downtown SJ up to Fremont, and honestly there's not a huge difference. Newark also had a recent hot streak with recent FB and Tesla offices announcements - but has cooled down in the last month.

I'm tracking the sales on weekly basis, some houses that sold in April have a bit of comp halo effect from Jan-Mar. Meaning agents told buyers to bid at least the comps you see from previous months which were crazy jacked up. I was looking at two almost identical houses in the same neighborhood (2 min walk apart), about 1 month apart when they listed. First one sold in 5 days, 20% over asking. Same agent lists the next house 4 weeks later - it's now been on the market for 4 weeks and agent called me back about their new price drop. This is just one of several anecdotes I'm seeing.

Either way, barring a crash like 2008/2009 - y'all that bought years ago are going to walk away with a handsome profit whether you sell now or in a year or two. So not much to worry.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post
    If you want to maximize returns, maybe sell now. I've been looking to buy for the past 5 months, and there's is a bit of a inflection point as off a month ago. Back in January thru March pretty much everything was selling within 1 week (open house weekend, offers due on Tuesday/Weds) with 5-20 offers and most places selling 20-25% above asking...that's including dumpster teardown houses.

Now with interest rates up, spring/summer inventory coming online, I'm seeing and getting calls from agents on homes that have been on the market for 3 weeks+ with price drops - and these are well maintained houses. Unheard off just a month or two ago.
    Couple points here -
    * If you've been living in the house for the last 2 of 5 years a lot of the gains are federal tax free. https://www.investopedia.com/ask/ans...inhomesale.asp
    * I don't think interest rates are going to affect home buyers in the bay area. It seems everyone who is buying now at prices well above market are paying 300k over asking easy. Remember the new tax bill reduced the mortgage interest deduction cap from $1M to $750K. This is a bigger issue than the slight increase in interest rates and hasn't toned down the craziness. Other situations could occur too. If you end up getting a mortgage but you overbid on the house the bank may not underwrite the whole thing. I.e. you paid $1.5M for a house that is only worth $1M and appraised as such. Even if you're putting "25% down" you now need that extra $500k somewhere because the mortgage underwriter won't give it to you. I'm not sure how often this happens in the bay area, but I can imagine it comes up in more than one case. I think the combination of these two are putting a lot of home buyers here in the realm of cash deals.

Interesting prospective about Californians crowding Colorado... from 1994.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...=.08bf4a0a1d35
    TIL - owning a coffee grinder is a sign of california snobiness. Man my Fiorenzato F4E and Rancilio Silvia are gonna have a hard time in CO!

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast