Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Visors : any real purpose

How many of you actually wear the visors on your mountain helmets? Do they actually serve a purpose? All I get out o them is a severely limited field of vision and a sore neck. I don't need the sun coverage because I'm wearing shades anyway. Ive taken them off of my last two helmets (a Giro Pneumo and a Cannondale Ryker). Are they more Style than substance or do you guys get a benefit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    For my trails and ride style visors are a yes. I like the visor on morning and evenings, and rainy days. I sit more upright while technical trail riding so no neck problems. I did blame the visor visibility, once, smacking a low limb. On dark roadie commutes I miss having a visor with oncoming headlights but I don't miss the sore neck.

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Visors kept me away from becoming a true Strava King. I had hit a plateau in my training with baggies, hydration pack and a visor helmet until I realized: Boy, I'm never going to be fast like this.

That's when I switched to lycra team kits (usually something with European companies that nobody has ever heard of), visor-less roadie helmet and a water bottle.

Now, I look pretty fast which usually intimidates other riders.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    Don't touch my visor! I've never even considered taking 'em off. It keeps the elements away (I had a few basal cell carcinomas burned/sliced off my forehead in the 90's), and I've never had any issues with visor-related neck problems; I don't even think about it being there. Also, it's pretty badass when you crash hard enough to break it off. Long live the visor!
    Last edited by dirtvert; 03-11-2013 at 11:04 AM.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Visor wearer here. All three of my helmets have them.

I think I had an old specialized "air flow" ( purple,'90's) helmet that didn't have one.

I am a fan of the visor.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post

Now, I look pretty fast which usually intimidates other riders.
    I know you are being facetious, but when I "dress down" in a race, nobody moves over for me. If I pimp up, especially with a yellow jersey, I am like Moses parting the Red Sea,

mtbr member
    But seriously.

Why I like my Fox Flux and Giro visors (tilted all the way up):

Because when I get into branches, I can tilt my head down, and the visor bumps the branches over my head.

I always wear eye protection, even clear safety glasses because I make my living with my eyes. The visor is another layer of protection for my face.

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    I have no style.
    Visor on the MTB helmet, no visor on roadie helmet. As mentioned, I sit more upright on MTB so no neck issues. I like for similar reasons, rain drips and sun sets. If I have an evening ride, the way home is west, direct into the sun.
    Don't harsh my mello

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Visors can be very nice, but they need to be adjustable. I don't like the fixed position ones.

mtbr member
    I only have one helmet and I don't like riding with visor on my road bike so I ride without visor all de time.
    :wq

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Visors can help keep the sun and branches out of your eyes. I leave mine on.

For off-road motorcycles they have a secondary purpose of shielding your face by looking down when the bike in front of you has the throttle twisted open. Not as much of a problem on a mtn bike.

mtbr member
    I guess I just got used to it, I do use it when the sun is im my eyes but the main reason now is, to me, helmets with out them look stupid.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

~~~
    Yeah, I find visors are pretty worthless unless you get the full coverage ones. This is just an example. Wear your helmet, kids.

Name:  sun-visor-bike.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  25.0 KB

Axe
    Custom User Title
    That's when I switched to lycra team kits
    Ewww...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevXR View Post
    Visors can help keep the sun and branches out of your eyes. I leave mine on.
    I have glasses for this.
    :wq

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Ewww...
    Dude... what are you ewwww'ing about? My lycra kits have European WRITING on them - so that means they're fast. Like, hella fast.

Hecka fast, breh. European writing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nachomc View Post
    I have glasses for this.
    Not sure what kind of glasses you have, maybe a welders mask? But I've avoided being smacked in the nose/face by a branch because the visor deflected the branch onto the crown of my helmet...

Is now still the time?
    Since I have visors on some helmets and that I use them, I reply to this thread without reading any comments.

First off, for my after work rides I head west, and without the visor the sun would be in my eyes.

Second they wad of branches when riding feral trails or doing trailwork.

Third they make good air-brakes when going really a bit too fast.

Fourth, my wife thinks visors look dorky.
    SOrCerer

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper71 View Post
    How many of you actually wear the visors on your mountain helmets? Do they actually serve a purpose? All I get out o them is a severely limited field of vision and a sore neck. I don't need the sun coverage because I'm wearing shades anyway. Ive taken them off of my last two helmets (a Giro Pneumo and a Cannondale Ryker). Are they more Style than substance or do you guys get a benefit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If it can block something from getting into your eyes (light), it can block your eyes from seeing something.

Your choice - reduced vision, or reduced vision.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I wore them before I wore eye protection for the tree branch reason.

Once I started wearing clear safety glasses on days I didn't wear my sunglasses, I stopped. Mostly for the neck reason.

I never used visors for the blocking the sun reason, I don't think. For whatever reason, that usually doesn't crop up on me.
    '12 Santa Cruz Superlight 29 | '12 Santa Cruz Butcher | '06 Specialized Allez Comp | '81 Schwinn Converted Fixie

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    In all seriousness, if anybody has climbed Stile Ranch Trail at STCP from the Fortini side, during a sunny afternoon, you get blasted. I wear a visorless helmet (because I like the Lazer O2) and there are times I wish I had a visor. But, I only have one helmet for both MTB and CX, so I went with visorless.

I believe there are times a visor would come in handy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dion View Post
    visors kept me away from becoming a true strava king. I had hit a plateau in my training with baggies, hydration pack and a visor helmet until i realized: boy, i'm never going to be fast like this.

that's when i switched to lycra team kits (usually something with european companies that nobody has ever heard of), visor-less roadie helmet and a water bottle.

Now, i look pretty fast which usually intimidates other riders.
    this

mtbr member
    To all of the anti-visor folks, I have one question. Why are you looking up when you ride?

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Dude... what are you ewwww'ing about?
    Team logos are so 2011. It is all about simple colors now for bib shorts.

Name:  9024_i_1.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  8.8 KB

swag ho Administrator
    Good question.

When you ride a ton of singletrack like Skeggs or Demo, visors are really not necessary. When you are in the hot, open sun like Sedona or Socal (where bushes are trees), visors are way more useful.

Visors have evolved some. A few of them are now adjustable so you can tilt them up out of the way. And in many cases, they are now half the size. The issue is when you are climbing with the head down in the natural position, the visor blocks the trail.

Visors are more practical for more geographic areas for road bikes. Riders are on the open road with their faces exposed to the sun more. But it will never happen because it won't look good on the road.

Aside from the first point above, visors are meant to make a helmet look cool. On a full-face helmet, it is a faux pax to remove the visor. For the all-mountain, enduro helmet, visors are now standard fare.

So there, it is a fashion statement and it useful in the desert. I have about 8 of them removed in my parts drawer. But I'm sill working on removing that DH visor.

fc
    IPA will save America

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast