mtbr member

Visiting from the east coast - Bay area trails?

I'm lucky enough to be escaping this miserable never ending winter out east and heading to the bay area for work around the beginning of March. I'm looking to take a day or two off to do some riding in the area, and from what I can dig up online, it looks like Tamarancho and the trails west of Fairfax would be the way to go.

Any local insight or trail suggestions? Good shops to rent a bike from? Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!

Silence! I kill you!
    Where in the Bay Area? Tons of good riding pretty much wherever you go.
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

mtbr member
    I *think* I will be staying around Berkeley, but I'm willing to drive an hour or two for good trails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Tamarancho is a good option as well as china camp, but look for demo forest if you want to really have fun or the trails in santa cruz, let us know the dates and see if anybody will give you a tour!!

Cesar

mtbr member
    An hour or two? Man your possibilities really opened up. Santa Cruz and Annadel in Santa Rosa are musts then!

mtbr member
    Googlemaps gives me 1:10 to Annadel and 1:30 to Soquel Demo from Berkeley. If it's your first time out here I'd pick Annadel because it gives you a bunch of different landscapes in one ride. Everything from open meadow/grassland to oaks to redwoods. Good mix of semi-rocky to flowy too.

Social Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    Googlemaps gives me 1:10 to Annadel and 1:30 to Soquel Demo from Berkeley. If it's your first time out here I'd pick Annadel because it gives you a bunch of different landscapes in one ride. Everything from open meadow/grassland to oaks to redwoods. Good mix of semi-rocky to flowy too.
    Yeah-Annadel is a great spot. Check in with the guys at The Peddler in Santa Rosa to get a good route. If they offer to show you around, take them up on it. It will be worth it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Ehh I tend to like Annandal better for just biking, but if I was visiting I would hit tamarancho. Not as many trail options but still pretty damn good if you've never ridden it, plus you are in the cradle of mt biking, killer views of tam and the bay, mt bike hall of fame and a beer at gestalt.. sounds like the best choice for an out of towner.

mtbr member
    With no offense to Gestalt...Russian River>Gestalt/Iron Springs.

Fairfax is a great town though and probably more of a truly CA experience than SR for a visitor.

mtbr member
    Thanks a ton for all the input, I've been to the bay area a few times already but never had enough free time to actually rent a bike and hit some trails, so this is great.

My trip got pushed back to April, so I have a bit more time to plan things out. After watching the videos, and seeing the reactions to the completed flow trail you guys have down by Santa Cruz, I think I pretty much have to hit that up Hopefully I can make it to Fairfax too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    There is a flow trail in Tamarancho also ,not as long as Demo .Video's on You tube.