mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Videographer volunteers needed for the D-Ville Classic

We are currently shooting a short documentary and 2 promo/educational shorts for the Sierra Buttes Trail Stewardship and need some volunteer help shooting some footage during the upcoming Classic. Help support the Stewardship and all of the great work that they do -including building amazing trails and putting on legendary events like the Classic- by volunteering some time while you are racing/spectating/enjoying the race next weekend!

If you have any experience shooting video and have your own equipment we could really use your help, and your unique perspective on the race, the scene, and the landscape. You don't need to be a pro, but you do need to have some knowledge of how to properly shoot quality video (correct white balance, exposures, formats, etc). You don't even need to be a videographer as still photographers are welcome if they want to dabble in some video. We must have at least 1080p HD footage to be used in this project, but any type of camera that can capture 1080 HD footage is great, including POV camera footage (GoPro, Contour, etc).

We are looking for people that will capture the scene from any and all aspects, whether watching racers on course, at the finish/start, at the river jump, among the crowd in town, etc, as well as anyone that is planning on riding the race with a POV set-up. We want footage that shows the diversity, the passion, the organization, the culture, the excitement, the fun, and the absurd to name a few.

Volunteers won't need to spend all day filming, we just ask that you shoot when you have time, when you see something worth filming, and are willing to come and spend some time downloading your footage to our hard drives at the end of the day. You'll get credits in the final documentary as well as updates on when we'll premier it (hopefully at the 2014 Wild and Scenic Film Fest in Nevada City in January), and we are working on a bit of swag to add to the pot as well!

If you would like to volunteer, drop me a line at: hunter@coldstreamcreative.com, pm me here on MTBR, or if you are already volunteering for the event with SBTS, let Debbie know at: dvcvolunteer@surewest.net

Here's a bit of raw, un-edited b-roll from one of our shoots in May for a little taste:

Looking forward to seeing you there!

dirty hippy mountainbiker
    Did you get any takers?

I'd love to be able to do this, but I'm racing this weekend and might not be able to get out two in a row. Here's my work: https://vimeo.com/arborglyph

-M
    Mike Henderson, Dirty Hippy Mountain Biker and part owner of Jet Lites.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks for asking Wolfy, PM sent.

We have a few people volunteering, but can always use more. cheap in-town camping, free t-shirt, and free food and drink for volunteers!

mtbr member
    I'm always shooting during my runs at Downieville. Normally 720p and not 1080p. Might consider it for the race.

Here's one I did testing out the chest mount (GoPro Hero2):

Some others on my site: downieville | Search Results | Hans Kellner Dot Com
    My Cycling Videos: Vimeo | YouTube | My Website

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks Hanskellner,

PM sent.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks all, for the many offers. Looks like we have a great crew and will capture some awesome footage this year. If any of you that are racing capture any nice POV footage and feeling like sharing, let me know and maybe we'll add it to the film.

Good luck, ride well!

mtbr member
    huntermos. PM Sent

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    We had a great weekend of shooting up there. HUGE thanks to all that volunteered to film, and to anyone that has some good POV of their race that they'd like to share, let me know, we could always use it. Here's a a montage of the raw footage from Saturday:

mtbr member
    Can't wait to see more of the "drone" footage. Great to see some aerial shots from the event.

Just downloaded 15gigs of footage from my cam and will start going through it. Hopefully it's not all crap.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I've seen some of your stuff on MTBR Hans, so I'm sure you'll have some great footy! Let me know if you'd like to donate some to the SBTS cause!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Sort of double posting here (so sorry mods), but need to again thank those of you that volunteered this past weekend! Here's the Sunday footage montage:

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Need some specific POV footage

If anyone has any POV footage from the D-ville XC this past weekend, specifically of their start, the chaos of the climb, passing through Blue Point or Packer Saddle aid stations, the Sunrise conga line (and accompanying dust), or getting high-fived by guys in leisure suits and/or eagle costumes, and is willing to share it with us to support the Sierra Buttes Trail Stewardship and D-ville Classic documentaries, please drop me a line at hunter@coldstreamcreative.com. Cant' get enough of this stuff!

And if anyone has some footage of their camping experience, we'd love to see that as well. You can't capture the Classic without getting a glimpse of the scene at the campgrounds. I have some, good, albeit hazy, memories of camping at Wild Plum in years past. Share them if you've got 'em!
    Last edited by huntermos; 08-07-2013 at 09:26 PM. Reason: need more footy!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Wanted to bump this as we could still use some POV footage from the Classic. As a reminder, this is a project specifically intended to help the Sierra Buttes Trail Stewardship raise money, increase knowledge, and spread their model to other trail advocacy groups so that they too, can build, restore, and support multiple use trail access on public lands everywhere.

We don't need much, just a few clips here and there. Specifically we'd be interested in: the start or both the XC and DH, the XC climb up to Blue Point, passing other racers, high-speed 3rd Divide, riding along the ledge section on upper 1st Divide, negotiating the waterfall and other techy rock-gardens, characters trail side (ASS and crew in suits and disco ball helmets cheering racers on), etc... We may also be interested in any clips of the scene in camp and getting ready to race. We can only use 1080p footage. If you don't know what you've got, I'll be happy to tell you how to figure it out. If we use your footage in the final film(s), you'll get a film credit and I'll see about getting some Yuba/SBTS swag for you as well.

I could also use some help with some post-production work, so if anyone has experience and knowledge (or knows anyone with the same) with Premier CS6, Plural Eyes, and Final Cut, I'd really like to talk to you about some contract work (paid!). You'll have to live within an hour of Marin however.

If you or anyone you know has footy or is interested in helping me out, please drop me a line at: hunter@coldstreamcreative.com

mtbr member
    I have some footage for you. I'll ping you to arrange a way to let you see it. Also chat about post-production.