Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Video of the day.

18K views 135 replies 52 participants last post by  Skyline35 
#1 ·
#13 · (Edited)
If I had to guess (and by looking at their website) this was shot with a camera that costs less than most of our bikes..
and you'd be wrong

Here is Ben Canales -National Geographic award winner and photographer of the (famous) Crater Lake shot seen @ ~2:45 on that vid. I also suspect that many 'lapses' in that vid are his as well - which use EXPENSIVE tracking equipment on gimbals.

In the 'beginner' vid below, I can see over $5k worth of gear...

Landscape Astrophotography Tutorial - First Night Out from Ben Canales on Vimeo.

#8 ·
As I watched the first seconds of the video I groaned at the panning time lapse video and thought how cliched/templated outdoor videos on vimeo seem to be. Somewhere along the way I got over it and wondered if it was a commercial for MSR instead. :)

Anyone know how the long exposure but moving stars are done at 1m17s or 3m19s? Is the motion (blur) effect from compositing the time lapse images digitally? I haven't done any seriously long exposures on my D-SLR, and can't get my head around how you'd get the blur in camera, yet maintain the time laps motion.

#9 ·
Anyone know how the long exposure but moving stars are done at 1m17s or 3m19s? Is the motion (blur) effect from compositing the time lapse images digitally? I haven't done any seriously long exposures on my D-SLR, and can't get my head around how you'd get the blur in camera, yet maintain the time laps motion.
If you read the comments on the vimeo page, a lot of people are asking that same question, how they achieved those shots of the stars "smearing". Some were suggesting that it was done in After Effects or something similar but the company didn't say.

I thought it was a commercial for MSR too. The music was a bit overly dramatic for my taste but I definitely respect the amount of time and effort that went into making something like that. There are a ton of DSLR time lapse videos on vimeo and that is definitely one of the best I've seen to date.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.