Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Feeling a little taller

Victim of EBRPD Prejudice!

How appalling! ADH and I were just the victims of prejudicial slurs by EBRPD employees!

As we were finishing up the dirt portion of our ride, we were coming down a multi-use trail and passed a hiker who gave us nasty looks as we went by.

We both gave him wide berth, ignored his evil eye and wished him a nice day. As we came out of the trail into the field near the staging area, we passed a second hiker-type who was reading an interpretive sign and also wished him a nice day. He at least returned our sentiment with a smile.

Following that, we passed through the gate into the parking area and noticed 2 EBRPD trucks in the parking lot and apparently they were in dispute with some BMX kids. There was alot of shouting back and forth but since we had been engaged in our own conversation, we didn't hear any of the meat of the argument.

What pisses me off is that when we passed the ranger and continued on our way, he spitefully shouted after us "how do you like being grouped in with these people?" I couldn't believe the absurdity of the question. I couldn't even respond.

I decided to ignore it and move on but as I rolled away, it really started to irritate me more and more. Upon getting back to my office, I called the Briones headquarters and spoke to the park superintendent since I thought that I recognized the offensive ranger as one of theirs.

I'm waiting for a phone call back.

I'm thinking about writing a letter to my directors to express my outrage that I would be stereotyped and assaulted by prejudicial statements by an employee of the park district. Can this be considered a hate crime? Is this discrimination? I'm physically shaking at how angry I am.
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

Paper or plastic?
    Dan, sorry to hear the story, but after 20 years of discriminating against MTBers, quite a few rangers have been brainwashed into bike haters. I'm sure that quite a few of them are decent people though.

Have you thought about buying hiking poles and a membership to the Sierra Club?
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan'ger
    I'm thinking about writing a letter to my directors to express my outrage that I would be stereotyped and assaulted by prejudicial statements by an employee of the park district. Can this be considered a hate crime? Is this discrimination? I'm physically shaking at how angry I am.
    Umm... weird. While it is certainly discrimination. Generally it's not considered discrimination legally speaking unless it involves physical handicap, race, sex, or religion (I think there are one or two other categories).

There was a housing developer who refused to sell houses to lawyers. He wound up getting sued and won, you can actually deny service based on someone's profession.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Strangely, I think he was actually paying you a complement. It appears from the way it is written that he was commenting that many people would consider you, and the BMX guys to be the same, while he considers you to be a good citizen and them not.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

Feeling a little taller
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    Dan, sorry to hear the story, but after 20 years of discriminating against MTBers, quite a few rangers have been brainwashed into bike haters. I'm sure that quite a few of them are decent people though.

Have you thought about buying hiking poles and a membership to the Sierra Club?
    I've been thinking of re-joining the Sierra Club just so that I can vote in their elections and use that angle to get rid of the anti-bike sentiment. The Sierra Club as a whole is not an evil entity - it's some of the individuals who are evil individuals.

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm

It's time to start buying Steyrs and Glocks.

Feeling a little taller
    Quote Originally Posted by CDMC
    Strangely, I think he was actually paying you a complement. It appears from the way it is written that he was commenting that many people would consider you, and the BMX guys to be the same, while he considers you to be a good citizen and them not.
    I hadn't thought of it in that way. It's possibly true. However, the delivery certainly wasn't nice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 0gre
    There was a housing developer who refused to sell houses to lawyers. He wound up getting sued and won, you can actually deny service based on someone's profession.
    That's funny stuff. You think the lawyers would have been smart enough to know they couldn't win that suit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I think there is a lot of merit to CDMC's comment. Besides, worrying what other people think about you is pointless, some wars (not just the internet flame kind) have started that way.

Coors, the american beer.
    <<< may soon be an employee of EBRPD

that sucks though dan .... youd think a ranger would be inclined to try and build some positive public relations, thats at least what ive been learning in my Environmental Interpretation class
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by CDMC
    I take it as clearly being the same way. The Ranger was bemoaning the rotten behavior of the BMX guys, and how it was just giving the good MTB folk a bad name. He was effectively paying you a compliment. I don't see any other reasonable interpretation.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan'ger
    I've been thinking of re-joining the Sierra Club just so that I can vote in their elections and use that angle to get rid of the anti-bike sentiment. The Sierra Club as a whole is not an evil entity - it's some of the individuals who are evil individuals.
    While I agree with you about it not being entirely evil. I will never pay a Sierra club membership because of the massive amount of permanent damage the Sierra Club Organization has done to our favorite sport.

~~~~~~~
    While I agree with you about it not being entirely evil. I will never pay a Sierra club membership because of the massive amount of permanent damage the Sierra Club Organization has done to our favorite sport.
    At the heart of the Sierra Club lies great intentions, conservation and preservation of natural lands. However, the myopic and divisive methods they have used over the years to rally the troops have disenfranchised many a mountain biker, hunter (of which I am both), and countless other groups I'm sure. I quit paying my dues the same year I had a one on one conversation with Carl Pope. He's an angry little man and the organization is angry too. Its hard to be part of a negative group, especially when it doesn't share your views on how to achieve goals. Still, if another drilling in ANWR bill shows up in Congress, you can bet the Sierra Club will be right there on the front lines doing their best to keep big oil companies from destroying one of the last great wildernesses on earth for less than 6 months worth of oil. I might become a member again then.

~~~~~~~
    double post

Dirt Deviant
    Umm... weird. While it is certainly discrimination. Generally it's not considered discrimination legally speaking unless it involves physical handicap, race, sex, or religion (I think there are one or two other categories).

I dunno, there could be a loop hole here.
    First, I have a "physical handicap" of being almost permanantly attached to my bike.
    Second, I love to "race" on my bike
    C, I find my bike to be VERY sexy!!!!!!!!
    and 4, I pray to the bike gods that I can ride it till the day I die.

That covers all 4 I think.....= )

Seriously though, I wouldn't be too pissed, I think maybe with his state of mind and the given situation his delivery was taken out of context. From the sounds of it he was prolly pretty pissed at the kids and his heart rate was pumping and was actually paying you a compliment if anything.
    Put yourself in his shoes in that situation, if a nice old lady would have been walking by, he prolly would have scarred the holy heck out of her just saying ' HELLO" with his blood pumping in such a manner.

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Quote Originally Posted by savagemann
    I dunno, there could be a loop hole here.
    First, I have a "physical handicap" of being almost permanantly attached to my bike.
    Second, I love to "race" on my bike
    C, I find my bike to be VERY sexy!!!!!!!!
    and 4, I pray to the bike gods that I can ride it till the day I die.
    As long as you don't find your bike so sexy you make love to it and inadvertently become permanently attached to it. Then you would be praying to the fire department to hurry up with the jaws of life.

"We Got a Bleeder!"

Dirt Deviant
    As long as you don't find your bike so sexy you make love to it and inadvertently become permanently attached to it. Then you would be praying to the fire department to hurry up with the jaws of life.

"We Got a Bleeder!"
    LOL.........well, it IS a damn sexy bike......LOL

Air Pirate
    Interesting idea -mountain bikers joining the Sierra Club to try to sway votes....just think, if the majority of mountain bike riders infiltrated the SC they could quite possibly turn the organization into a bike-centric group. Take over the thing kinda like the Borg....it would amost be worth it.

banned
    Feb 2008
    It's sort of like road rage...at first, you want to just slay some bastidges, but then, you realize that there are more important things in life to spend your time worrying about, and you keep on rollin'.

Birthday Collector
    Dan, I agree with CDMC and BigLarry - I don't think that the ranger was belittling you as much as making a statement in front of the kids to try to make them feel bad - that is my impression from reading... I would have turned around and said "excuse me?" with a smile and see what would've happened - but that's just my style. Had a 'confrontation' with a hiker at Annadel Sunday that I was being friendly to, and the guy was anti-social, and I commented as such. I refuse to allow myself to be treated in any way as a second-class user on the trails.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

Feeling a little taller
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoicowboy
    Interesting idea -mountain bikers joining the Sierra Club to try to sway votes....just think, if the majority of mountain bike riders infiltrated the SC they could quite possibly turn the organization into a bike-centric group. Take over the thing kinda like the Borg....it would amost be worth it.
    Well, that's the way I see it. If we can get fresh blood up the chain, perhaps the hating will end. I think we all like the same goals of land and environment preservation.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Dan,

Seems to me the comment cuts both ways.

mtbr member
    i think a hate crime is a bit much

Lusus Naturae
    I'm also a Sierra Club member and staunch environmentalist. A lot of the issues being addressed and discussed are valid, but some of them are ridiculous and seem to just attract ridicule, which in the end contribute to the group losing respect and credibility.

Extremism is not good no matter what end of the dispute you find yourself on.

Anyway, back to the OS (original subject), I agree with others here that it was more directed at the other group than at you, Dan. On the other hand, there are a couple messages being sent:
    1) the suggestion that perhaps its our responsibility to educate the bmxers - aka somehow their actions are related to ours, or could be interpreted as such
    2) the employee(s) are becoming frustrated to the point that activities by either group will eventually contribute to limited use of the park by both groups

Its too bad because kids will always be kids. They'll always want to go and build their own jumps and trails; defy and break the law. It should NOT reflect on adults mountain biking with respect to the laws. If employees of EBRPD are combining the two together in any way at all, that could be interpreted as a form of prejudice and/or mis-application of the laws.

That being said, its not JUST the kids breaking the laws and not all kids do so (don't want to be prejudice myself!). In their frustration, EBRPD could eventually make laws that limit all forms of biking. To that extent, what the EBRPD employee said is valid.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i wonder what they were doing.....but i agree with the others, they were giving you guys a back handed complement. i like the sierra club calendars.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast