Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Veggie Juice Fast: Bike friendly diet that works

46K views 411 replies 88 participants last post by  Leopold Porkstacker 
#1 ·
This last month, I was talked into participating in a food fast. Goal was 7 days living on nothing but veggie juice, tea, and water. I did a lot of research and found that this program is highly regarded as a way to detox the body while gaining significant benefits like weight loss and reducing blood pressure. I was fearful that I would be tired, grumpy, and most importantly, unable to ride my bike...I was wrong, wrong, wrong.

So, I bought a kick ass little juicer and gave it a go because forecast called for lots of rain and job stresses were low. I jumped in and, as warned, the first three days were rough but manageable...mostly mental but also the cravings and habits were rough. In the first three days, the body goes through significant detoxification and until everything clears out, the internal organs want to play. After three days though, hunger subsided, energy was at an all time high, and it was easy sailing...so easy in fact that I decided to go an extra 3 days (10 total). The theory here (which I see as completely factual) is that digesting is a highly energy intensive process. When you aren't digesting, your body suddenly has an abundance of down time which it uses to heal, remove crappy stuff, and allocate the energy to other areas. The veggie juice supplies the system with all the nutrients so you don't wain or feel crummy. If anything, I had more energy and perk than I have had in decades. The best part was I was able to go to the gym frequently and got in numerous bike rides including a couple 2000+ foot climbs.

The results: Lost close to 20 Lbs...mostly all of my beer belly. Took my blood pressure down from persistently high (doctor worried) to 120/77 which I believe is normal. I also came away with far less cravings for fat rich foods and more desire for healthy options. It has been almost 2 weeks since ending the fast and I am still sub 180 which is perfect for me. ( I was hitting mid 190s and growing)

Anyhow, I can't recommend this program enough. My buddy is doing 30 days and is a long distant runner. Check out this movie if interested: Fat Sick and Nearly Dead | a Joe Cross Film

My only regret was not following a pre-diet plan which consists of three days prepping the system for the change. I plan to do 2 a year. Anyone else out there try this?

See less See more
#319 ·
There is no scientific evidence supporting the notion of "detox", nor of giving your digestive system a rest. It needs to rest like your heart needs to rest. Also, fiber is important because it helps the intestinal lining slough off old cells in a continual process of rejuvenation.

People's wondrous and magical results are most likely a combination of:

Eliminating bad food, either specifically or generally
A micronutrient punch to the face
Major shift in macronutrient distribution combined with caloric reduction
Food reward / satiety issues, i.e. drinking a bland slurry will make you lose weight without feeling hungry
Whole Health Source: Food Reward: a Dominant Factor in Obesity, Part II

#18 · (Edited)
Great write up and congrats... it was interesting to follow your progress on FB as well. It sounds like the experiment was a success. I will probably give it a shot in 2013. Waiting for post Christmas sales on juicers.

So what did you eat after the diet? Was it difficult to transition back to a solid food diet? Have you changed your overall diet since or are you back to normal (pre-juice) diet?

Do you continue to juice in conjunction with solid foods now?

How much time do you think it took each morning to prep your day's juice? Trying to figure out if I can do this w/ my work/ride schedule.

So the next homebrew going to be a Carrot / Kale Double-IPA? :D

No post-ride beer and morning espresso might be the hardest part of this for me.

#19 ·
Great write up and congrats... it was interesting to follow your progress on FB as well. It sounds like the experiment was a success. I will probably give it a shot in 2013. Waiting for post Christmas sales on juicers.

So what did you eat after the diet? Was it difficult to transition back to a solid food diet? Have you changed your overall diet since or are you back to normal (pre-juice) diet?

Do you continue to juice in conjunction with solid foods now?

How much time do you think it took each morning to prep your day's juice? Trying to figure out if I can do this w/ my work/ride schedule.

So the next homebrew going to be a Carrot / Kale Double-IPA? :D

No post-ride beer and morning espresso might be the hardest part of this for me.
Right on man! So answers:
Juicer: I really like my Breville RM-JE98XL...I got it refurbished on Amazon for $175...I am sure there are good ones much cheaper.

After diet: I followed a very strict 6 day diet after the fast which consisted of lots of raw veggies, grains, and other foods that got introduced each day. Day 6 was all systems go in which I ate really shitty food which I had been craving (Fondue, beer, chips, etc) I found it to be sort of unsatisfying and now am eating just really good foods that work for me...fruit, veggies, non-processed stuff. I am juicing every morning now as part of a habit. I am definitely more attracted to healthy foods now which is cool!

Morning prep is about 20 minutes. Clean up is really easy because its fiber not grease...just a rinse will do and it's easy. The hard part is finding space in your house for all the veggies and fruit. I brought in a mini fridge. I would stock up at farmers markets but ended up at Whole foods a couple times.

I put the home brew kit in the attic...it was fun but I got really fat and lazy with all that beer around the house. Maybe next summer I'll whip up a brew or two. You are welcome to borrow the stuff if your into it.

The best thing about the deprivation is that when you come out the end, the post ride beer will be 15x better tasting...everything tastes better.

word

#28 ·
The more I ride, the less I want to put any laboratory engneered food/beverages in me. I have been drinking the purest R.O. water for over 2 years, Completely alchohol, nicotine, pharmacutical free (including aspirin). Did a lot of juicing the first year and detoxed completely. Maintain a 85-90% vegan diet and feel better than I ever have in my entire life. Kicking the refined sugar habit was the last step I needed. Tough one, but did it and lost the last 10 lbs. in doing so.

One new trick I learned is the benefits of Pineapple for pain and swelling. It is the best anti-inflammatory ever. All my joint pain went away in a matter of 2-3 days by drinking a 8 oz glass twice a day, and has never returned. Do weekly maintenance now, and after epic rides or whenever I am sore.
Remove the peal from a whole pineapple and juice everything. The enzyme Bromelain is found in the core in concentrated amounts, and is only found in pineapple that science has so far discovered to my knowledge.

Start by cutting off the bottom and top, cut about 2" slices and then remove the skin. Slice into spears that will fit in the juicer. Add one or two apples with it to cut the flavor, I usually add an orange and sometime a few carrots. Makes about a half gallon, but you have to run the pulp through a few times to get all the juice out of the pineapple. A Champion Juicer works well for this.

I am very curious to see if anyone tries this, as it has helped me live pain-free for over a year now.

#29 ·
...it has helped me live pain-free for over a year now.
That is awesome!

What people don't realize is that food can be medicine or poison. Like I said earlier - I used to get sick very frequently, and really sick - like 105º temperatures... out for a week or more. I haven't gotten sick like that since I started this diet. I'll get ultimately hippy-dippy on people and reiterate what was told to me by a vegan cook:

When you ingest meat, especially in the United States, you ingest torture, pain, fear, anguish and disease. The animal you eat died feeling all those things - and therefore, all of that negativity goes into your body and becomes part of you...
Yeah, hippy-dippy... but I vibe with that, entirely. :)

I love the "What about protein?" - Then I just say, "Look at me... do I look like I'm lacking protein?" :lol: By the way, the only time anybody has even been concerned about my protein intake was after I tell them I don't eat meat.

People freak out when they find out I don't get a flu shot - I ask, what for? Haven't needed it in years!

People are more concerned about putting WD-40 on their bike or 87 octane gas in their cars than the food they put in their bodies.

#62 ·
I know some of y'all are being downright hilarious (I know this because I used to be a seriously ****ing funny mother****er) but, and apologies for sounding like a tool, if you took a sincere and honest look at where your meat comes from, you'd likely find it a challenge to choke down that garbage. Now excuse me while I go fill up my natural gas Honda and smell my own fart.

#70 ·
My father spent 32 years as a meat inspector with the USDA. I visited him at slaughterhouses a couple times. No issues with where the meat I eat comes from. My sister checked it out once. She went vegetarian after that visit but it only last a couple weeks. The slaughtering isn't the disturbing part to me. It's how fast it happens and how little time is actually spent inspecting. And the managers hinting that the inspectors should look the other way sometimes.

How does commercial vegetable juices like V8 compare to the stuff you guys make in your juicers?

#119 ·
This thread makes me feel like I'm in some weird twilight zone, where all the stuff I did that made me seem weird to other people now feels oddly... mainstream!

Blended vs. Juiced:
Blended drinks are great for your normal, everyday diet. Everyone should have them every day. Juicing is great for a periodic fast/cleanse, or a cleansing daily pre-breakfast ritual. It's important during a fast/cleanse to give your intestines a rest, so you don't want the fiber/roughage. Fruits and veggies are naturally cleansing anyway, so you probably could do a cleanse on 100% blended drinks, but it would be a slow, mild cleanse. In short - both have their purpose, like having a 29'er and a 26'er.

Just a word about food combining: The rules of proper food combining can get really "OCD", like don't mix acid fruits with sweet fruits, (etc.) but meh - doesn't effect me at all. One rule I find useful is to not mix fruits with anything except greens. So, for example, don't have a smoothie with your eggs & toast. The only other big rule worth following (imo) is to not mix grains & proteins - so don't even eat your eggs with toast. Drink the smoothie, wait an hour or so for it to empty the stomach before having anything else. I also don't add protein powders or nuts other weird supplements. Just fruit and greens.

This is a winter blended drink I've been doing lately to boost my immunity and it tastes great!
1 or 2 bananas (or more depending on how hungry you are)
3 peeled tangerines or mandarins - they are awesome this time of year. Navel oranges work, but they are not sweet and tasty enough. I look for citrus where the skin looks loose as they are easier to peel.
Juice from 1/2 a lime squeezed into the blender
1/2 a package of frozen mango chunks (on sale now!)
handful of spinach or chard
teeny tiny bit of water (there's a lot of juice from the citrus)

Greens have a lot of iron (among other vital minerals/electrolytes), and Vitamin C from the citrus helps with iron absorption.

Here is a pic of one I made without the greens:

Attachments

#131 ·
The only thing missing from this thread is FC offering to host a juice/shake taste test party, with continual showings of Forks Over Knives, Food Matters, etc...
Bring yer blenders, juicers, fruits and veggies and we can swap recipes and see who's tastes the best.
That might be enough to get Dion out of the house and to a MTBR party.

#175 ·
There is always gonna be naysayers (especially those funded by deep pocketed interest groups on the other side - not saying this guy was but ya never know).

I can only speak for personal experience which seems to be reiterated by others in this thread. Moving towards this diet just works. Can't argue with my highly reduced blood pressure, my 15 lbs weight loss some 30 days after the diet ended, general feeling of energy throughout the day, and this odd six pack under my, much smaller version of, man boobs. ;)

#176 ·
There is always gonna be naysayers (especially those funded by deep pocketed interest groups on the other side - not saying this guy was but ya never know).

I can only speak for personal experience which seems to be reiterated by others in this thread. Moving towards this diet just works. Can't argue with my highly reduced blood pressure, my 15 lbs weight loss some 30 days after the diet ended, general feeling of energy throughout the day, and this odd six pack under my, much smaller version of, man boobs. ;)
My favorite juice fasts consist of celery, cucmbers, strawberries, carrots, romaine lettuce, and just about any other veggies/fruits I can juice. I did my first juice fast in late 2009 and lost 25 lbs in 30 days. Now I am a big guy to begin with, I needed to be as work made me that way. Then I changed jobs (chasing money instead of dreams) and now I am training to re-enter my previous career...I did sporadic juice fasts all of 2010, and felt fantastic. In 2011 I gained 10 lbs, and couldn't really juice fast due to work and other stuff. In 2012, I started again mid year and have lost that 10 lbs and am going for an all time loss of 25 more....that will keep me right at perfect.

I am currently on a month long fast which started on 1-1-13 with the first 3 days slowly weening (salads and light fiber) towards a complete juice fast which will last till months-end.

I have had naysayers saying I need to eat complex carbs and stop juice fasting in order to maintain my health and ride. This one bozo would send me bullcrap photos and articles from unknown sources and tell me that this was the proof. That it is all snakeoil...smoke and mirrors...TBH, I think the guy fried his brain out smoking to much sensi...

The truth is, you have to do what feels right for you. If someone does not like the way you want to live, especially if it is healthy...ask them to start paying your bills and you'll then consider living according to them. Otherwise screw them.

I hope that more mountain bikers consider implementing this into their fitness goals!

Soapbox...over!

#208 ·
I got a juicer from my brother last week, and he only gave me one instruction "Don't ever bring it back."
After doing the first juice, I can see why. It's a huge timesuck for very little useable juice.
If you're thinking about doing this for a few days, I say see if you can buy some juice at the grocery store, you'll save a ton of time and money. If you decide after a few days you want to do it for longer, then consider buying a juicer.

On a side note, I feel bad throwing out the pulp, so I've been experimenting with it.
Last night I made a loaf of wheat bread with walnuts, and threw in a cup of carrot/celery/kale pulp. That came out pretty good.
I just got done with another experiment, where I turned the celery/carrot/kale pulp into veggie patties. I added some canned corn, black beans, diced red onion, spices, and some flour to bind it together. Fried it in a pan for about 10 mins, and it was friggin delicious. Some tweaking and tuning and I won't be buying veggie patties anymore.

#307 ·
Oh, tomato also doesn't fit nicely with veggies (I was told tomato is now considered fruit... it's due to high acid contents, dunno more details).

Now, all the spices seem that their taste as been cranked up to 11. I tried a bit of mustard, and I was sneezing as soon as I ate that. Salt seems 5x as strong as it was, pepper the same, and vinegar now is unbearable. I dunno how I used all those things previously...Or at least, the amounts that I used, if talking about the spices...

Reactions: squashyo
#308 ·
Squashyo, thanks for starting this thread, I was looking into juicing when this thread came up. I was pretty much be a meat and potatoes guy before this and the only way I ate lettuce etc was on a burger (turkey burger) but mixing it up in the vitamix makes it all taste good, which was a little surprising to me. so far I haven't had a bad batch yet and going on my 10th day I am feeling great losing some weight and I have had no desire for meat so the plan is to just keep going on this til I get where I want to be then who knows maybe I will go semi vegan if there is any such thing.
P.s. I too have noticed certain things like salts, spices being much stronger tasting now, but that is probably a good thing for me since I was trying to reduce my sodium intake before.

#313 ·
Well, if you do some googling, this is what comes up...
(Juice fasting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
Scientists, dietitians, and doctors regard detox diets as less effective than water-fasting, and hence generally harmless but a waste of money.[7] Catherine Collins, Chief Dietician of St George's Hospital Medical School in London, England, states that "The concept of 'detox' is a marketing myth rather than a physiological entity. The idea that an avalanche of vitamins, minerals, and laxatives taken over a 2 to 7 day period can have a long-lasting benefit for the body is also a marketing myth."[7]
Detox diets, depending on the type and duration, are viewed as potentially dangerous and can cause "all kinds of health problems," including muscle loss, decreased metabolism, and an unhealthy re-gaining of fat after the detox ends.[8][9][10][11]
Not to take anything away from your experience, but one can imagine the benefits may just have arisen from ingesting more veggies&fruit than what your baseline was before (in either juiced, or un-juiced form) as well as from eating less overall than before; one doesn't need a magical 'detox' effect to explain that...

#314 ·
Well, if you do some googling, this is what comes up...
(Juice fasting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Not to take anything away from your experience, but one can imagine the benefits may just have arisen from ingesting more veggies&fruit than what your baseline was before (in either juiced, or un-juiced form) as well as from eating less overall than before; one doesn't need a magical 'detox' effect to explain that...
Well this is embarrassing. I guess Catherine Collins completely proved me wrong. Never mind everyone. Continue doing what you were doing before and save your money.

Just kidding. I honestly don't care if people think its bogus...what I have read and seen first hand is that it does work. My blood pressure is normal, I am 15 lbs lighter and keeping it off with very little effort, I have far more energy, people have been telling me I look and act younger, I am riding like a bat out of hell, I have completely shifted my eating habits which would never been possible without the fast, and there was a clear and definite detox occurring during the fast that can only be explained by experiencing it in action. There are going to be naysayers and that's totally fine but I encourage everyone to just give it a shot and then make judgements. I can only tell you the program has completely changed my life and a dozen people I know we'll who took the dive.

#316 ·
After eating for a few days, weight stabilized at the same it was after the end of the juicing. Feeling more energetic, and the sleep patterns are back to normal :) I am eating only from afternoon onwards.

Everyone says I'm a lot leaner, and my lifting records keep increasing, so I'd say by no means I'm losing muscle. For the first time in my life, I look ripped.

I have been vegetarian for a while, so I wouldn't say it is from having more vegetables in the diet.
For me, the fasting turned the body into fat-burning mode, nothing like I had experienced before.

It might be bogus, it seems to work for me. I'll do some blood tests to see if there is improvement

Reactions: S.O.B.
#320 ·
My veggie fast was an amazing experience and feel it did wonders for my body and mind. I guarantee that anyone who has done a veggie fast will tell you the same thing. Until you've actually experienced it or spoken with someone who has, in my opinion, you are speculating but that's fine - good on ya. I plan to do two a year...I highly recommend anyone curious to try it if you are looking for a healthy change that is lasting (and let's you log some biking miles in the process - which is odd because where did all that energy come from with no food in the system other than juice - head scratch). :) Now, off to make a big ole juice and figure out where I am going to ride today...weather is looking better and better over here in Norcal! woohoo!

#321 ·
My veggie fast was an amazing experience and feel it did wonders for my body and mind. I guarantee that anyone who has done a veggie fast will tell you the same thing. Until you've actually experienced it or spoken with someone who has, in my opinion, you are speculating but that's fine - good on ya. I plan to do two a year..
I'm starting mine this weekend but looking to see how the changes compare to vegan weeks that happen on occasion. Sounds from your posts that you're already vegetarian but I'm curious how many of the other adopters on this thread have ever just quit meat/ meat products for more than a week to see how much better your body can feel.

On my road bike, veggie weeks (not juicing) typically end with me averaging 1-2mph faster than weeks that I eat meat. Excited to see if this juice cleanse will bump that up any more.

#384 ·
This last month, I was talked into participating in a food fast. Goal was 7 days living on nothing but veggie juice, tea, and water. I did a lot of research and found that this program is highly regarded as a way to detox the body while gaining significant benefits like weight loss and reducing blood pressure. I was fearful that I would be tired, grumpy, and most importantly, unable to ride my bike...I was wrong, wrong, wrong.
Even though we are unlikeliest to be called vegetarian, this post was kinda an inspiration for me (trying to get some time to no-dab up Kennedy) & my wife (hiking along). Thank you. These are quite amazing stories.

I've got the whole nine yards starting with several excess bowling balls on me, hypertention, etc. So we tried juices, liked it, and decided to try 1-week juice fast & looks like it's gona happen next week with help of Omega Vert. I might even log it somehow - if I succeed maybe it could help someone else...

I had a look at 3/5/10/15 plans at Joe's site and was a bit surprised that they include not only juice. I'd rather called them light vegie diet than juice fast. Did you use any plan from Joe's site or used juice only like supposedly in his movie?

I am trying to bike 4 times a week - thue/thu/sat/sun. I am not in the 20/40 Kennedy leage, rather 45/90 with several not even dabs but full blown rests, neither I am an SS beast as some around here. Up to 15mi/2500ft MTB or 30-50mi road trips are quite a load for my 5'7"/235 at 47. Trying to think about energy for these rides during juice fast makes me really uneasy.

#386 ·
Awesome man. Keep it up and I am sure you will run into one of us up that beast someday...Ancient Rascal is a totally cool dude and he is up there everyday it seems.

I did not follow Joes plan but I am sure it's good. My fast was absolutely fiber free which made for lots of energy and detoxification benefits (everything is at rest so things can heal). After a few days, you will find you have great energy. Just bring some veggie juice with you and you should be a-Ok. I did a few long 2000ft climbs on my fast and had no problems. I bit more tired those evenings but highly manageable. Fasting with veggie juice does not mean you will be lacking in energy...quite the opposite in my case. Just be prepared to have LOTS of fresh/good juice available...limit the fruits.

If you REALLY want to do it right, read this book and follow the guide: The Fasting Diet: Steven Bailey: 9780658011450: Amazon.com: Books A pre-fast diet really makes for a better experience and the ease back stage is beneficial as well. Many people just jump right in (myself included) and wish they had prepped better at the start.

Keep me posted (PM if you want) as I am interested to hear how it goes.

#2 ·
That movie is on netflix streaming if anyone is wondering.
I saw that movie and was considering doing it. The up front cost of purchasing a juicer and the fact that I was afraid I won't stick to it(thus wasting money on a juicer) is what prevented me from doing it. That and there is a part of me that thought the movie made it sound too good to be true.
Thanks for sharing your experience...I'll have to give it some more thought about giving this a go. I'm not really that overweight but everything is pretty much concentrated on my gut. The fact that most of the weight you lost is on your gut is encouraging.

So during this fast you were able to bike like normal(no food while riding?)

#3 ·
Very cool

I'm extremely interested in doing this. Thoroughly inspired by your post.

I've sucked at maintaining a healthy eating habit here lately and I've been exercising/running more on top of my riding just to maintain. I have ~20 lbs to go before I reach my 100 lb weight loss goal and I think this diet plan will help get me there. I like to make things extra difficult on myself so a juice fast during the holidays seems to be right up my alley lol. I already have the juicer too!

Does the movie explain the 3 day prep? (I'm going to check it out on Netflix tonight)

#6 ·
I'm extremely interested in doing this. Thoroughly inspired by your post.

I've sucked at maintaining a healthy eating habit here lately and I've been exercising/running more on top of my riding just to maintain. I have ~20 lbs to go before I reach my 100 lb weight loss goal and I think this diet plan will help get me there. I like to make things extra difficult on myself so a juice fast during the holidays seems to be right up my alley lol. I already have the juicer too!

Does the movie explain the 3 day prep? (I'm going to check it out on Netflix tonight)
You may want to wait till after the holidays just because the parties you go to will make it really hard on you. No boozing or coffee or nicotine...it's a full on purge. It's an awesome adventure actually. :)

Anyhow, I totally recommend reading this book first: The Fasting Diet by Steven Baily (The Fasting Diet: Steven Bailey: 9780658011450: Amazon.com: Books) It explains the prep but essentially you drink olive oil with garlic and lemon juice...this tricks your stomach into thinking a crap load on fatty food is on the way so produces lots of bile (which is bad stuff and contains a lot of toxins) you follow this shot with a bunch of raw veggies which essentially flushes the bile out so you don't suffer the 3 day detox as bad (you basically purged a ton of the stuff that makes you want to eat bad food). I don't think the movie explains this...hope this helped.

#4 ·
Well, the juicer is pricy (I paid $170 for a nice one) but juicing alone is not a bad deal. I wasn't eating any veggies before (well some but far from a lot) so this thing has me in-taking all the veggie nutrients I need daily in an easy to administer fashion. I do a veggie drink every morning now just for health.

I was totally able to ride but was hesitant to go anywhere deep in the woods. I stayed close to ensure that I didn't bonk and would be stuck in no man's land. It was probably moot though because I went on some sizable rides local and didn't bonk...I was a little more tired than usual those evenings but nothing too bad. I brought veggie juice with me on the rides which really helped.

The movie is just a motivator...seemed ligit to me.

By the way, my motivation here was for detox...the weight loss was a bonus.

#9 ·
I am an octo-lavo vegetarian - but I converted for ethical reasons. I enjoy local farm eggs that are certified ethical (farms that I can visit and pet the grass fed chickens) and incidental dairy - but I don't drink milk or any of that. My wife is vegan.

We have watched and read every article, documentary, diet, etc known to man. I swear - it is a bit much. The only criticism I have for the "juice" diet is sustainability.

I think detoxing is fine for a few weeks or a month - but then what?

My diet is not perfect, but it has worked and is sustainable. My weakness are sweets and cheese - but I have a health serving of fruits, vegetables, grain and protein. Every morning, I have a gigantic kale shake and eat kale throughout the day, with bananas and various in-season fruit. I eat ginger root and tomatos and avocados and whatever good, natural thing I can get a hold of.

What has resulted was, over the past two years, a loss of 30lbs. AND and ridiculously strong immune system. I am out in public almost every night, shaking hands, grabbing door knobs and being exposed - and from getting intensely sick at least three times a year - I never get sick. And if I feel run-down... it only lasts for a day, tops. I am around sick children and adults... I don't use hand sanitizer or any of that snake oil.

I don't have to take cold or flu medicines, etc. I don't get a flu shot and I'm never worried about being around sick people.

I'm glad people are being more turned on to diet awareness - but I would highly recommend adopting something that is sustainable. Drinking juices is just not sustainable - and the results are great initially, but a lifestyle change needs to be implemented to gain full benefits.

I took baby steps: first cutting out Fast Food, Chinese and Filipino food. Then meat, fish and poultry altogether. Then, milk and ice cream (although I have a scoop or two a year) and eating raw and superfoods daily. I don't drink alcohol, either.

Like I said, my diet isn't perfect, but it is something that I can live with - I give myself "breathing room" except for meat - which I will not consume unless it's game meat. I will not eat any meat from a grocery store.

I've tried these fasting diets and such, but always reverted back to my old ways until I completely changed my dietary lifestyle and my outlook on the ethical repercussions of industrial food.

Thanks for sharing! It's a good start to reviewing your dietary habits. Most of us, including me once in awhile, eat like crap. BTW, if your spouse or S.O. ain't into it - it really makes a dietary lifestyle change really difficult... you both have to be into this or it's hard to keep it going.

Sorry for being such a hippy :D

#11 ·
Thanks Dion...good stuff! I am also a vegetarian but eat seafood. I think you are dead on about changing which I think this starter diet lends itself to. What I like is that it breaks you off of bad habits and addictions so that when you come out, you actually feel like eating Kale or dried apricots instead if those damn Mint Girl Scout cookies. For ethical reasons, I too would like to start moving to a more vegan lifestyle (watching this movie was an eye opener: Vegucated: Amazon.com: Vegucated: T. Colin Campbell, Brian Flegel, Joel Fuhrman, Stephen Kaufman: Movies & TV)

Anyhow, I too am sorry for being a hippy...just fired up about this program.

#13 ·
I hate hippies! I hate vegetables too but probably why I'm fat. I totally agree with the hippie-this is just the first baby step. I had lost quite a bit of weight with riding, yoga and working out a few years ago. Diet was very important. BUT moving into a new house, remodel and our first son I've been reunited with some of my weight I lost. Bad habits have returned.
I REFUSE to go back to the weight I was prior to all this. I notice how I've become so much slower riding, less flexible and just tired. Not to mention none of my hard earned Hugo Boss clothing no longer fits. When I lost the weight I was like Eddie Murphy-Spandex! Everything Spandex!!!
Hoping to get leaner and faster next year. Don't need to be A group but B is nice-I'm just a weekend warrior. I think I'm F right now. Anyways good info and time for change. Probably be good to go get a check up as well.

#14 ·
You lost me at no beer. ;)

But seriously, interesting stuff from you and Dion. I've always been the tall, skinny dude with the ridiculous metabolism so "diets" have never been in my vocabulary but as I get closer to 40 I can see that my metabolism is starting to slow down just a bit. That combined with having a 3 year old/less riding/more stress has me interested in something like this for the first time ever. We eat pretty balanced for the most part. Farmers market blah, blah, blah, very little fast food and so on and so forth but I have been known to shove a burger in my face. Hmmm...what are the benefits of a "juicer" vs. just a blender? $170 seems like kind of a big experiment for a couple week experiment.

#16 ·
Try this :)

Get a bundle of kale - $2
A bunch of bananas - $2
High quality orange juice

6-8 oz. of OJ
4-5 de-stalked kale
1 banana

Blend it all up and drink this concoction everyday for two weeks. Eat your regular healthy diet. Obvious to not eat fast food, crap, etc.

I have a juicer, but stopped using it. There are a TON of anti-oxidents and digestive aid in the leaves and pulp of plants. For fasting - sure. But for sustainability and health, the body needs large amounts of fiber. Sometimes I just eat a bowl of plain kale and spinach with raisins.

I don't mean to "get gross" but there's what happened to me when I was juicing. Sharting occurred. Yep. Sharting. Just having the liquid didn't give me the "bulk" I needed for healthy solid poo's. Sure, I took a crap like everybody else, but without fiber, it was pure "liquid gold".

:lol:

When you use a blender, like the aforementioned VitaMix or BlendTec, you retain the essential fiber needed for a healthy digestive tract. Blendtec has a crazy Youtbe channel called "Will it Blend?" and they blend things like cell phones and stuff in their blenders.

Try my recipe above. If you have an upset stomach or get an upset stomach in the morning, throw in a 1/4" of ginger. Ginger is a natural way to settle an upset stomach. Plus the anti-oxidents and anti-inflammatory properties are outstanding.

You will notice extremely "healthy" bowel movements - to the point of where you think you're done, but things keep a' flowing. That was what I first noticed when I started drinking kale shakes every day. Now, I'm just regular, without the prolonged porcelain visits. But those initial morning poo's are a doozy and you ask yourself "where the hell did all that come from?". Logs will be soft, not hard like from eating meat - and "seeing green" will have a different meaning.

Don't forget to flush between logs, because there will be a lot coming out of you.

Sorry to get gross, but it's da' troof!

#17 ·
Funny sort of on topic story of a friend who tried one of these veggie juice diets. He was going to the bathroom a lot and lost a few pounds. After a trip to the doctor it turned out he had diarrhea and didn't realize it because he thought it was just veggie juice detox.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.