Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Veggie Juice Fast: Bike friendly diet that works

46K views 411 replies 88 participants last post by  Leopold Porkstacker 
#1 ·
This last month, I was talked into participating in a food fast. Goal was 7 days living on nothing but veggie juice, tea, and water. I did a lot of research and found that this program is highly regarded as a way to detox the body while gaining significant benefits like weight loss and reducing blood pressure. I was fearful that I would be tired, grumpy, and most importantly, unable to ride my bike...I was wrong, wrong, wrong.

So, I bought a kick ass little juicer and gave it a go because forecast called for lots of rain and job stresses were low. I jumped in and, as warned, the first three days were rough but manageable...mostly mental but also the cravings and habits were rough. In the first three days, the body goes through significant detoxification and until everything clears out, the internal organs want to play. After three days though, hunger subsided, energy was at an all time high, and it was easy sailing...so easy in fact that I decided to go an extra 3 days (10 total). The theory here (which I see as completely factual) is that digesting is a highly energy intensive process. When you aren't digesting, your body suddenly has an abundance of down time which it uses to heal, remove crappy stuff, and allocate the energy to other areas. The veggie juice supplies the system with all the nutrients so you don't wain or feel crummy. If anything, I had more energy and perk than I have had in decades. The best part was I was able to go to the gym frequently and got in numerous bike rides including a couple 2000+ foot climbs.

The results: Lost close to 20 Lbs...mostly all of my beer belly. Took my blood pressure down from persistently high (doctor worried) to 120/77 which I believe is normal. I also came away with far less cravings for fat rich foods and more desire for healthy options. It has been almost 2 weeks since ending the fast and I am still sub 180 which is perfect for me. ( I was hitting mid 190s and growing)

Anyhow, I can't recommend this program enough. My buddy is doing 30 days and is a long distant runner. Check out this movie if interested: Fat Sick and Nearly Dead | a Joe Cross Film

My only regret was not following a pre-diet plan which consists of three days prepping the system for the change. I plan to do 2 a year. Anyone else out there try this?

See less See more
#2 ·
That movie is on netflix streaming if anyone is wondering.
I saw that movie and was considering doing it. The up front cost of purchasing a juicer and the fact that I was afraid I won't stick to it(thus wasting money on a juicer) is what prevented me from doing it. That and there is a part of me that thought the movie made it sound too good to be true.
Thanks for sharing your experience...I'll have to give it some more thought about giving this a go. I'm not really that overweight but everything is pretty much concentrated on my gut. The fact that most of the weight you lost is on your gut is encouraging.

So during this fast you were able to bike like normal(no food while riding?)

#3 ·
Very cool

I'm extremely interested in doing this. Thoroughly inspired by your post.

I've sucked at maintaining a healthy eating habit here lately and I've been exercising/running more on top of my riding just to maintain. I have ~20 lbs to go before I reach my 100 lb weight loss goal and I think this diet plan will help get me there. I like to make things extra difficult on myself so a juice fast during the holidays seems to be right up my alley lol. I already have the juicer too!

Does the movie explain the 3 day prep? (I'm going to check it out on Netflix tonight)

#6 ·
I'm extremely interested in doing this. Thoroughly inspired by your post.

I've sucked at maintaining a healthy eating habit here lately and I've been exercising/running more on top of my riding just to maintain. I have ~20 lbs to go before I reach my 100 lb weight loss goal and I think this diet plan will help get me there. I like to make things extra difficult on myself so a juice fast during the holidays seems to be right up my alley lol. I already have the juicer too!

Does the movie explain the 3 day prep? (I'm going to check it out on Netflix tonight)
You may want to wait till after the holidays just because the parties you go to will make it really hard on you. No boozing or coffee or nicotine...it's a full on purge. It's an awesome adventure actually. :)

Anyhow, I totally recommend reading this book first: The Fasting Diet by Steven Baily (The Fasting Diet: Steven Bailey: 9780658011450: Amazon.com: Books) It explains the prep but essentially you drink olive oil with garlic and lemon juice...this tricks your stomach into thinking a crap load on fatty food is on the way so produces lots of bile (which is bad stuff and contains a lot of toxins) you follow this shot with a bunch of raw veggies which essentially flushes the bile out so you don't suffer the 3 day detox as bad (you basically purged a ton of the stuff that makes you want to eat bad food). I don't think the movie explains this...hope this helped.

#4 ·
Well, the juicer is pricy (I paid $170 for a nice one) but juicing alone is not a bad deal. I wasn't eating any veggies before (well some but far from a lot) so this thing has me in-taking all the veggie nutrients I need daily in an easy to administer fashion. I do a veggie drink every morning now just for health.

I was totally able to ride but was hesitant to go anywhere deep in the woods. I stayed close to ensure that I didn't bonk and would be stuck in no man's land. It was probably moot though because I went on some sizable rides local and didn't bonk...I was a little more tired than usual those evenings but nothing too bad. I brought veggie juice with me on the rides which really helped.

The movie is just a motivator...seemed ligit to me.

By the way, my motivation here was for detox...the weight loss was a bonus.

#9 ·
I am an octo-lavo vegetarian - but I converted for ethical reasons. I enjoy local farm eggs that are certified ethical (farms that I can visit and pet the grass fed chickens) and incidental dairy - but I don't drink milk or any of that. My wife is vegan.

We have watched and read every article, documentary, diet, etc known to man. I swear - it is a bit much. The only criticism I have for the "juice" diet is sustainability.

I think detoxing is fine for a few weeks or a month - but then what?

My diet is not perfect, but it has worked and is sustainable. My weakness are sweets and cheese - but I have a health serving of fruits, vegetables, grain and protein. Every morning, I have a gigantic kale shake and eat kale throughout the day, with bananas and various in-season fruit. I eat ginger root and tomatos and avocados and whatever good, natural thing I can get a hold of.

What has resulted was, over the past two years, a loss of 30lbs. AND and ridiculously strong immune system. I am out in public almost every night, shaking hands, grabbing door knobs and being exposed - and from getting intensely sick at least three times a year - I never get sick. And if I feel run-down... it only lasts for a day, tops. I am around sick children and adults... I don't use hand sanitizer or any of that snake oil.

I don't have to take cold or flu medicines, etc. I don't get a flu shot and I'm never worried about being around sick people.

I'm glad people are being more turned on to diet awareness - but I would highly recommend adopting something that is sustainable. Drinking juices is just not sustainable - and the results are great initially, but a lifestyle change needs to be implemented to gain full benefits.

I took baby steps: first cutting out Fast Food, Chinese and Filipino food. Then meat, fish and poultry altogether. Then, milk and ice cream (although I have a scoop or two a year) and eating raw and superfoods daily. I don't drink alcohol, either.

Like I said, my diet isn't perfect, but it is something that I can live with - I give myself "breathing room" except for meat - which I will not consume unless it's game meat. I will not eat any meat from a grocery store.

I've tried these fasting diets and such, but always reverted back to my old ways until I completely changed my dietary lifestyle and my outlook on the ethical repercussions of industrial food.

Thanks for sharing! It's a good start to reviewing your dietary habits. Most of us, including me once in awhile, eat like crap. BTW, if your spouse or S.O. ain't into it - it really makes a dietary lifestyle change really difficult... you both have to be into this or it's hard to keep it going.

Sorry for being such a hippy :D

#11 ·
Thanks Dion...good stuff! I am also a vegetarian but eat seafood. I think you are dead on about changing which I think this starter diet lends itself to. What I like is that it breaks you off of bad habits and addictions so that when you come out, you actually feel like eating Kale or dried apricots instead if those damn Mint Girl Scout cookies. For ethical reasons, I too would like to start moving to a more vegan lifestyle (watching this movie was an eye opener: Vegucated: Amazon.com: Vegucated: T. Colin Campbell, Brian Flegel, Joel Fuhrman, Stephen Kaufman: Movies & TV)

Anyhow, I too am sorry for being a hippy...just fired up about this program.

#13 ·
I hate hippies! I hate vegetables too but probably why I'm fat. I totally agree with the hippie-this is just the first baby step. I had lost quite a bit of weight with riding, yoga and working out a few years ago. Diet was very important. BUT moving into a new house, remodel and our first son I've been reunited with some of my weight I lost. Bad habits have returned.
I REFUSE to go back to the weight I was prior to all this. I notice how I've become so much slower riding, less flexible and just tired. Not to mention none of my hard earned Hugo Boss clothing no longer fits. When I lost the weight I was like Eddie Murphy-Spandex! Everything Spandex!!!
Hoping to get leaner and faster next year. Don't need to be A group but B is nice-I'm just a weekend warrior. I think I'm F right now. Anyways good info and time for change. Probably be good to go get a check up as well.

#14 ·
You lost me at no beer. ;)

But seriously, interesting stuff from you and Dion. I've always been the tall, skinny dude with the ridiculous metabolism so "diets" have never been in my vocabulary but as I get closer to 40 I can see that my metabolism is starting to slow down just a bit. That combined with having a 3 year old/less riding/more stress has me interested in something like this for the first time ever. We eat pretty balanced for the most part. Farmers market blah, blah, blah, very little fast food and so on and so forth but I have been known to shove a burger in my face. Hmmm...what are the benefits of a "juicer" vs. just a blender? $170 seems like kind of a big experiment for a couple week experiment.

#15 ·
what are the benefits of a "juicer" vs. just a blender? $170 seems like kind of a big experiment for a couple week experiment.
Welp, the purpose of the fast is to remove all fiber from the digestion process. By drinking all the nutrients and only the nutrients, your system can go to work healing and combating toxins and burning fat. The juicer allows you to digest ridiculous amounts of veggie nutrients since all the fiber is out of the picture. A blender just makes it easier to ingest more veggies that chewing and swallowing interferes with but you are still working hard to deal with the fiber in your belly so a totally different ball game.

By the way, I included a couple table spoons of UDO's oil with my drinks to get some good fat. Made my drink taste better and my skin...nevermind.

Also, yes, giving up beer is tough (so was coffee) but the real hurdle is accepting that enemas are somewhat part of this diet (though not necessary) if you want to feel good the whole time. Since no fiber is working it's way through the system, nothing is scrubbing the walls. Same goes for plaque on the teeth. Whoop, just lost everyone I am sure.

#17 ·
Funny sort of on topic story of a friend who tried one of these veggie juice diets. He was going to the bathroom a lot and lost a few pounds. After a trip to the doctor it turned out he had diarrhea and didn't realize it because he thought it was just veggie juice detox.

#18 · (Edited)
Great write up and congrats... it was interesting to follow your progress on FB as well. It sounds like the experiment was a success. I will probably give it a shot in 2013. Waiting for post Christmas sales on juicers.

So what did you eat after the diet? Was it difficult to transition back to a solid food diet? Have you changed your overall diet since or are you back to normal (pre-juice) diet?

Do you continue to juice in conjunction with solid foods now?

How much time do you think it took each morning to prep your day's juice? Trying to figure out if I can do this w/ my work/ride schedule.

So the next homebrew going to be a Carrot / Kale Double-IPA? :D

No post-ride beer and morning espresso might be the hardest part of this for me.

#19 ·
Great write up and congrats... it was interesting to follow your progress on FB as well. It sounds like the experiment was a success. I will probably give it a shot in 2013. Waiting for post Christmas sales on juicers.

So what did you eat after the diet? Was it difficult to transition back to a solid food diet? Have you changed your overall diet since or are you back to normal (pre-juice) diet?

Do you continue to juice in conjunction with solid foods now?

How much time do you think it took each morning to prep your day's juice? Trying to figure out if I can do this w/ my work/ride schedule.

So the next homebrew going to be a Carrot / Kale Double-IPA? :D

No post-ride beer and morning espresso might be the hardest part of this for me.
Right on man! So answers:
Juicer: I really like my Breville RM-JE98XL...I got it refurbished on Amazon for $175...I am sure there are good ones much cheaper.

After diet: I followed a very strict 6 day diet after the fast which consisted of lots of raw veggies, grains, and other foods that got introduced each day. Day 6 was all systems go in which I ate really shitty food which I had been craving (Fondue, beer, chips, etc) I found it to be sort of unsatisfying and now am eating just really good foods that work for me...fruit, veggies, non-processed stuff. I am juicing every morning now as part of a habit. I am definitely more attracted to healthy foods now which is cool!

Morning prep is about 20 minutes. Clean up is really easy because its fiber not grease...just a rinse will do and it's easy. The hard part is finding space in your house for all the veggies and fruit. I brought in a mini fridge. I would stock up at farmers markets but ended up at Whole foods a couple times.

I put the home brew kit in the attic...it was fun but I got really fat and lazy with all that beer around the house. Maybe next summer I'll whip up a brew or two. You are welcome to borrow the stuff if your into it.

The best thing about the deprivation is that when you come out the end, the post ride beer will be 15x better tasting...everything tastes better.

word

#28 ·
The more I ride, the less I want to put any laboratory engneered food/beverages in me. I have been drinking the purest R.O. water for over 2 years, Completely alchohol, nicotine, pharmacutical free (including aspirin). Did a lot of juicing the first year and detoxed completely. Maintain a 85-90% vegan diet and feel better than I ever have in my entire life. Kicking the refined sugar habit was the last step I needed. Tough one, but did it and lost the last 10 lbs. in doing so.

One new trick I learned is the benefits of Pineapple for pain and swelling. It is the best anti-inflammatory ever. All my joint pain went away in a matter of 2-3 days by drinking a 8 oz glass twice a day, and has never returned. Do weekly maintenance now, and after epic rides or whenever I am sore.
Remove the peal from a whole pineapple and juice everything. The enzyme Bromelain is found in the core in concentrated amounts, and is only found in pineapple that science has so far discovered to my knowledge.

Start by cutting off the bottom and top, cut about 2" slices and then remove the skin. Slice into spears that will fit in the juicer. Add one or two apples with it to cut the flavor, I usually add an orange and sometime a few carrots. Makes about a half gallon, but you have to run the pulp through a few times to get all the juice out of the pineapple. A Champion Juicer works well for this.

I am very curious to see if anyone tries this, as it has helped me live pain-free for over a year now.

#29 ·
...it has helped me live pain-free for over a year now.
That is awesome!

What people don't realize is that food can be medicine or poison. Like I said earlier - I used to get sick very frequently, and really sick - like 105º temperatures... out for a week or more. I haven't gotten sick like that since I started this diet. I'll get ultimately hippy-dippy on people and reiterate what was told to me by a vegan cook:

When you ingest meat, especially in the United States, you ingest torture, pain, fear, anguish and disease. The animal you eat died feeling all those things - and therefore, all of that negativity goes into your body and becomes part of you...
Yeah, hippy-dippy... but I vibe with that, entirely. :)

I love the "What about protein?" - Then I just say, "Look at me... do I look like I'm lacking protein?" :lol: By the way, the only time anybody has even been concerned about my protein intake was after I tell them I don't eat meat.

People freak out when they find out I don't get a flu shot - I ask, what for? Haven't needed it in years!

People are more concerned about putting WD-40 on their bike or 87 octane gas in their cars than the food they put in their bodies.

#33 ·
PixieChik

The juicing process does something to it that makes it easier on the stomach. The apple helps a lot with this too. The problem with canned juice is it is usually pasteurized and the heat kills the enzymes that do the work. Also, canned is usually more acidic than fresh, in my experience.

A homeopathic doctor told me once when I was about ten years old, " Don't drink juice fast, let it sit in your mouth before you swallow." Saliva is the pre-digestive enzyme your stomach needs to properly digest a concentrated food like fruit juice or even milk.

I will say this: The cure for arthritis is Bromelain. This has been known for over 70 years in Germany. Give it a try. A pineapple costs about $4, and two a week is the most I have ever done.

#35 ·
I'm gonna try! Dropping the alcohol is a hard one for me though. Not so sure how successful I'll be on that part if it-not as much a beer drinker as I am hard alcohol-probabaly worse. I like my kettle one and red bulk on weekends.
I've read that it's better to eat frequently and small portions and stay under a set amount if calories. Frequent eating keeps the metabolism going. Also read drinking cold water is better than warm since again your metabolism needs to work harder to warm the water.

#38 ·
Alcohol, even in small quantities, debilitates the body and mind. Most of us started drinking when we were young because of one reason or another. After 10, 20, or 30 years, it's now just a bad habit. The cumulative effects on the entire body are just as bad as a smoker and the condition of his lungs after the same amount of time. I could go on and on, but.....

Bottom line, I wanted to be able to ride for the rest of my life. The only way was to change......Everything!

I feel so good these days. I sleep better than ever. I never have heartburn. I stated earlier about my diet, and the only improvement would be to go completely organic. I always buy the best quality I can find or afford. I eat fresh fruit everyday and go shopping for it every day or two. It's just part of my life now, and yes, you can eat small amounts all day long and not gain weight if you are active everyday.
I try to ride as much as possible. An elevated heart rate for 45min to and hour is the minumum per day, and if I miss a day or two, I do a 3 hour ride the next.

I wish you luck on your decision. Its a big one, and well worth it!

#36 ·
Food! Its awesome!

Late May of this 2012 I found my self at a bit of a crossroads regarding food and my dietary choices. I was having more and more problems digesting red meat, lean meats like chicken and pork and was pretty frequently feeling very bad, "spacey", having major gastrointestinal tract problems and having a very "food coma" feeling after most meals that had meat or were cooked with large amounts of animal fats or byproducts. When the start of 2012 was rolling around, my digestive issues were starting to go from bad to worse, I had been eating much less in the way of red meats over the past few years and mostly eating lean meats and fish. Back in 2006 I cut out eating at fast food restaurants almost completely.
I was still having problems and it was getting worse.

At that point I decided that I would try a ovo-lacto vegetarian diet for six weeks to see how it affected me. So far... it has worked out very well. Six months later, it has become a full diet change and a fairly large lifestyle change and a very large perception shift in how I see, think and deal with foods and the oh so precious intake of calories. I've spend much more time thinking and planning out meals, as well as just spending more time cooking.

It has been great.
I've had a bit more energy, I've felt a lot snappier after meals and I have had good success with reducing that middle of the afternoon I feel like crap blood sugar crashing that was a major issue for me come around 2 in the afternoon. A big part of it is not eating like crap anymore, but also what I am eating is playing a role is how my body is dealing with food and eating more foods that are not as energy intensive to digest. Shortly after my son was born I was up around 225, getting some time back after the kiddo was born and stuff helped get that back to 215-220 or so, but I hung out in that range for about a year, in may was when is started to see some changes there.
After trying out this vegetarian silliness for six weeks, I was down to about 210 and make the choice to stick with it as there was a huge increase in energy. Here we are back in the middle of December and I'm back down to ~200lbs. Of course, during this I have been running and riding, but not as much as I'd like. My dietary changes have very much been for the better for running and cycling, for me at any rate. For me, personally, if I'm going to do more weight wise I will have to get the activity levels back up and then cut out beer. Beer... So delicious, but I have to cut it down majorly to get anymore progress. However, as I will be buying a SS mtb soon, I can't cut out beer totally...

With what started out as an experiment in my diet turned out into a great lifestyle change and a total and very positive change in my perception of food and nutrition.

#39 ·
Heading down the path here...

A month or two ago due to some fun activity in my life, I stepped back and took a look at diet and the like. Certain stresses (mmm...work) were causing me to be more sedentary and drink more beer/wine than I should be (mmm...beer). Aside from beer/wine, my day to day diet isn't too horrible (at least calorie-wise).

I opted for smoothies in the morning. Some combination of:

banana
kale
celery
nut butter (almond, usually)
pine apple
ginger
lemon
strawberries
apples
(and orange or apple juice)

Cut back down to no more than two beers or glasses of wine (leaning more wine than beer at the moment).

Without any other dietary changes and a slight decrease in physical activity (due to rain), about 8lb came off and has settled having lost 6lb. Next step is to get my sorry backside out to the gym / on the trainer / or yoga on a daily basis. That should help move things along.

The fast sounds interesting, mainly as it would be interesting to see the effect on the beer belly. And a week without beer, while an eternity, may be doable.

Squashyo - what were you eating while on your rides? Or did you stick to shorter rides?

#40 ·
Heading down the path here...

Squashyo - what were you eating while on your rides? Or did you stick to shorter rides?
So, I wasn't eating for 10 days...period
On my rides I filled a water bottle with veggie juice and a camel pack full of water (water is key to this diet). I rode my local LG trails so I could get home if things went south...never went south, I had energy to ride semi long distances but I didn't push it. Weather was crappy anyhow and I started a new job so had to look busy.

#41 ·
I have done variations of this when I was younger, running marathons, triathlons etc. at a skinny 150lbs. Then I got older, got married, had a kid and eventually went from a fit, active 160 (5'8") to a steady weight of 185. I then did my own 'detox' version which was no junk for a week, then a 3 day liquid diet that consisted of Organic Vegetable Juices, Teas, and some organic fruit juices for dessert (and a lot of water). After the three days I went on a two week "Super Foods" diet that involved a lot of vegetable stir fry meals (broccoli, cauliflower, onions, spinach, tomatoes, mushroom, peppers, brown rice, olive oil), almonds, walnuts, berries, and other fruits, with the occasional piece of dark chocolate, but sticking with fruit juice or popsicles for dessert.
This set the stage for a nice lifestyle change that saw me loose a solid 20 lbs and fluctuate between the low-mid 160's. Of course a number of years later, another kid, a knee injury and two torn calf muscles later along with a move across country, I found myself back up to the mid 180's.
So now I find I am starting again. I know what needs to be done and I know I can do it (my wife is super fit n' healthy and would be a vegetarian if it weren't for me), so I have already started the process.
This time I am upping my exercise from riding 1x-2x's a week to adding the trainer or Insanity workouts for a 5x week regiment. I am currently in the process of going two weeks without junkfood or junk in general and have already lost 5 solid lbs in two weeks. I will be sensible for the X-mas feast and begin the detox right after X-mas (not January 1st, too cliche'). I will follow a similar plan as above and my wife is psyched for the super foods part, as that is how she eats anyway. I will update my progress (or regression) at a later date as I try to get back to being just an S.O.B. rider, and not a 'Fat' S.O.B. rider. ;)
I appreciate your inspirational post...misery likes company so it is good to know other riders are doing the same things.
James

#42 ·
Dude, that sounds awesome! Definitely keep us posted. The super food part does sound pretty dang good. I hope you mean to make your own juices as I am told pre-made stuff or anything shelved over a day loses its nutritional make up.

#44 ·
Nice going Squash!!! I saw that movie about 6 months ago and have wanted to try it. I am about 10lbs heavier now than I was last winter. I attribute that to eating whatever I please and a reduction in riding. Work schedule has really killed it this year. Anyway, I am on board for trying this as I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. I mean what is the harm really? More time on the toilet just leads to more reading! Super impressed you did this and to all of you others that have done it. I am at 165 right now and looking to get to 120. Kidding!

#45 ·
My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer in Sept 2010. She has gone through surgery, chemo, radition etc. Cancer free now, but the experience has left her concerned about recurance.

She introduced me to Fat, Sick and Nearly dead about October 2011. At the time I was at an good weight 5'7" and 155 (gained I little due bad eating and stress of her treatments, but was already exercising to lose it), did not need to do anything, but we both decided to give juicing a try. We borrowed a friends cheap juicer and found it was not that bad. So we got our own Brevelle juicer. Since then we have been juicing every day. We have never done a juice fast, but have replaced morning coffee with juice. We also have been adding more fresh vegetables to our diet. I was horrible and did not each much green veggies.

So now ever day I have about 400-500 ml of fresh juice. I can tell when I don't have it as it gives me a nice energy boost and keep both out bowel movements regular. My wife was horrible for not being regular and the juice really helps. We notice if we miss a day.

As for me.. I have more energy and about the same time got back in Mtn biking after a long break. I am more fit and my weight is not 153lbs. Not much different from before, but that is a lot more lean muscle than fat. Also I noticed this last year and also this year. I rarely get sick. Colds/Flu etc... I always would catch one here and there over the season and a few a tough days. I also have a 6 year old at home and parents know what little germ carriers they are. However since juicing I rearly get sick and when I do it much less intense and shorter duration.

Overall it was a nice addition to my personal health.

For those are interested here is my juice recipe

- Kale - Handfull complete with stems
- Spinach - Handfull complete with stems
- 4 stalks of Celery - I use these to wrap the kale/spinach for best juicing in the machine
- 1 small stalk of broccoli (crown and stem)
- 2 carrots
- 1 large cucumber
-1 Granny Smith apple.

This makes about 800 to 1000ml of juice depending the actual size of veggies used. My wife and I share this each day.

One more thing.. Juicing and riding. Most morning ride prep (even summer 5am starts) go like this. Drink Juice (15-20 min), eat orange or greek yogurt, take crap (juice helps things move), go riding about 1 hour after I start. I can ride on this for 2-3 hrs and do just fine.

#46 ·
For some of the people that are on the fence about a full on veggie juice fast, just try going into it with a meat free week or even just one day a week that you consciously remove meat from your diet. Meat free Mondays are popular for folks just starting out the idea of a vegetarian diet.

I've noticed that my road bike speeds go up on average 1-2mph on the weeks that I ditch meat. And this is still eating full meals not just juicing everything.

The strongest animals in nature are vegetarian so it's ironic that humans focus on the need to consume meat to get stronger.

#50 ·
Squashyo has good posts every so often because he hates working.

I didn't take any video but I have some photos of vegetables. I took. I wish I had logged a journal. One thing that you could do is recruit a few people who want to try it and have them log a daily MTBR journal on their adventure with photos and video...that would be pretty cool. Kind of like an MTBR reality show with mountain biking and such. They could let us know about health improvements, riding while fasting, outcome...you get it.

As for crapping, I had real poo. A very tiny bit everyday. I did a coffee enema that was quite awakening.

#51 ·
Too many stem haters in here. Don’t scoff at the free fiber. :nono: Eat it boy, it’s good for you! I made some sakuma wiki for dinner two nights ago, collard greens + kale + Swiss chard + onions + tomatoes + garlic + Mchuzi Mix + everyone’s favourite—BEEF!!! :thumbsup: It’s no wonder my wife’s grandmother lived to be 115 years old in a third-world country without modern medicine (all the while at 8,500 feet altitude!!!)—it’s the GREENS!

#52 ·
Too many stem haters in here. Don't scoff at the free fiber. :nono: Eat it boy, it's good for you! I made some sakuma wiki for dinner two nights ago, collard greens + kale + Swiss chard + onions + tomatoes + garlic + Mchuzi Mix + everyone's favourite-BEEF!!! :thumbsup: It's no wonder my wife's grandmother lived to be 115 years old in a third-world country without modern medicine (all the while at 8,500 feet altitude!!!)-it's the GREENS!
Umm, I don't see any "stem haters" or whatever in here but yeah I agree. I will also add that Collards, Kale, Chard etc. are all in season right now and are usually grown year round (for the most part) here in the Monterey Bay area. Not to get preachy, but if you are lucky enough to have a local farmers market near by, use it and support local farmers. Often times the produce quality is better and cheaper. Steps off soap box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.