Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Veggie Juice Fast: Bike friendly diet that works

46K views 411 replies 88 participants last post by  Leopold Porkstacker 
#1 ·
This last month, I was talked into participating in a food fast. Goal was 7 days living on nothing but veggie juice, tea, and water. I did a lot of research and found that this program is highly regarded as a way to detox the body while gaining significant benefits like weight loss and reducing blood pressure. I was fearful that I would be tired, grumpy, and most importantly, unable to ride my bike...I was wrong, wrong, wrong.

So, I bought a kick ass little juicer and gave it a go because forecast called for lots of rain and job stresses were low. I jumped in and, as warned, the first three days were rough but manageable...mostly mental but also the cravings and habits were rough. In the first three days, the body goes through significant detoxification and until everything clears out, the internal organs want to play. After three days though, hunger subsided, energy was at an all time high, and it was easy sailing...so easy in fact that I decided to go an extra 3 days (10 total). The theory here (which I see as completely factual) is that digesting is a highly energy intensive process. When you aren't digesting, your body suddenly has an abundance of down time which it uses to heal, remove crappy stuff, and allocate the energy to other areas. The veggie juice supplies the system with all the nutrients so you don't wain or feel crummy. If anything, I had more energy and perk than I have had in decades. The best part was I was able to go to the gym frequently and got in numerous bike rides including a couple 2000+ foot climbs.

The results: Lost close to 20 Lbs...mostly all of my beer belly. Took my blood pressure down from persistently high (doctor worried) to 120/77 which I believe is normal. I also came away with far less cravings for fat rich foods and more desire for healthy options. It has been almost 2 weeks since ending the fast and I am still sub 180 which is perfect for me. ( I was hitting mid 190s and growing)

Anyhow, I can't recommend this program enough. My buddy is doing 30 days and is a long distant runner. Check out this movie if interested: Fat Sick and Nearly Dead | a Joe Cross Film

My only regret was not following a pre-diet plan which consists of three days prepping the system for the change. I plan to do 2 a year. Anyone else out there try this?

See less See more
#399 ·
Well, I fell off the wagon. I hit the juicing hard for Jan. and Feb in what I felt was a sustainable effort by juicing only during the day, allowing for a snack of almonds and walnuts (took away the carb craving) and then a sensible meal in the evening (vegetarian or fish). Got my weight down to the 169-172 range (started at ~190).
Well, pretty much the last 5-6 weeks, I have stopped juicing. I ran out of veggies one day and just never bought any more (though I kept telling myself I would). So I found myself eating yogurt and fruit in the morning, leftovers for lunch, and a regular dinner (constantly trying to minimize the damage). Eventually I found myself snacking more on cheese n' crackers and chips n' salsa. I also found myself eating dessert more often (especially icecream) including a Leatherby's Banana Split just last weekend...and a lot more Pizza (Pepperoni and Pineapple, my favorite!).
I also found that I avoided the scale. I really did not want to see what was happening. But alas yesterday, after over 5 weeks off the wagon, I purchased some veggies and had a juice this morning (tomatoes, carrots, kale, spinach, romaine, zucchini, yellow squash, apple, lemon), it was friggin delicious. So much better than I remember. I also stepped on the scale. 170lbs even. Holy $#!%, that is the same measurement I had the last time I weighed myself weeks ago. The whole time I was 'off the wagon' I tried to compensate by exercising more, and though I ate some crap, I tried to keep it in moderation and did not over-indulge like I would in the past. Basically, the two months of daily juicing have rid my of many bad habits and at the same time I have been in a better exercise groove. So today I am beginning the push to get to where I really want to be (the low 160's)...and when I get there, I know it will be sustainable.

On a related note, even though I still have a gut, with the help of the 20lb weight loss, I have seen my PR for the 2 mile Stagecoach climb drop by 3 minutes, same for Clementine and any other climb...and that Stagecoach PR came at the end of a 30 mile, 4500' ride. Tangible & measurable results. Juicing works!

#400 ·
Awesome breakfast juice today:
1 pineapple
1 head of romaine
2 large handfuls of spinach

That at least was the recipe but had a few strawberries, carrots, and celery that were going bad so I threw them in as well. And some ginger for a little kick. Trying to juice on the mornings that I dont ride in to work and make healthy smoothies on the days that I ride to work since it's a hard 45-55min ride in to the office and juice just doesnt fuel me enough.

#401 ·
The plan was 5 days. Hmm. It turned into 3 days of pre-fast, 10 days of fast. Today is first out of 5-6 post-fast day.

Quick impressions:
*) Pre-fast. Dinosaurs come to mind. Chewing that much of fiber was something.
*) Fast. Doable, no biggie. 2-nd & 3-rd day were the most difficult. Pissing contest/spectacular. Headaches (still have them). Really low energy. Started riding bike 5-th day (low energy & need for close proximity to toilet), road only - Shannon/Kennedy "close to head of Kennedy trail". Last several days - chilling feet & arms.

The goal was to hit HBP. This did not work at all. Weight was not considered as a goal, but obviously it worked for weight - 15 pounds. I am back and under fall weight. I am sure some of it (hopefully not much) will come back starting today as we start eating. Hopefully this loss will really help climing Kennedy/Woods/Hicks road.

If anybody interested, I guess, could write a longer report/impressions.

Embarking on another experiment against HBP (really want to drop pills) - daily cayenne powder drinks.

OT. I am 220 now & ride 2007 Rockhopper HT. Frame & fork (RS Dart 3) are "native", everything else is upgraded. I am fine with it and have no need for FS/etc... Guys, what tires would you consider kinda perfect/safe for stuff like Kennedy trail throughout the whole dry season - I mean grippy on all parts of the trail, not too bumpy on rocks? Last year I switched from stock Spec FastTrak to Kenda Nevegal 2.35 and am not sure it was the best desicion - heavier, much tougher to ride (I guess rolling resistance), though a bit less bumpier. I did not want to ask this question in general forums as I am interested specifically what you guys use on Kennedy/Dogmeat and stuff like that. Thanks.

#402 ·
Thanks for the update! sounds like this wasn't a terribly good experience for ya which surprises me. I am particularly surprised you saw no reduction in BP...10 days with no crap really should have nudged it somewhat down...I'm puzzled. Did you drink about as much water as you did juice (about 3 quarts a day of each)? Would you do it again or are you saying this sucked? Just curious. Worked wonders for me but I guess we're all different eh. ;)

Cheers and welcome back to the world of food.

#403 ·
Thanks for the update! sounds like this wasn't a terribly good experience for ya which surprises me.
I am quite realist, of course hoped, but realized that there are too many parameters/options/etc., so I do not consider the results terrible. Just maybe less than maybe could be.

I am particularly surprised you saw no reduction in BP...
I stopped taking BP pills around pre-fast. Last day of post-fast BP went through the roof with headaches etc. I guess, it wasn't just meant for me to get BP down on juices.

10 days with no crap really should have nudged it somewhat down...I'm puzzled.
We don't know a magic formula with all parameters, so it is OK, but 3 weeks on a really healthy diet (not like we usually eat a lot of junk) is priceless.

Did you drink about as much water as you did juice (about 3 quarts a day of each)?
I did, maybe not that much, but really a lot - together with juice sometimes I need to piss every 15 minutes - that was something!

Would you do it again or are you saying this sucked? Just curious. Worked wonders for me but I guess we're all different eh. ;) Cheers and welcome back to the world of food.
It was tough, a bit sucked, but come on - I did not expect it to be all inclusive resort. The results are even more complicated by the fact that instead of sharpened taste my taste for salt, beer, whiskey, ... just got almost entirely lost - food prepared as before just seems to be flat...

I lost more than 15 lbs - what not to like? ;-) We continue to drink juice (I do a glass with 1/2 tsp 35K cayenne pepper - another shot at BP). I would not try fast again in a month, but once per 1/4 or 1/2 year - almost surely yes.

I was quite weak and missed riding, so next time we do it it's going to be maybe somewhere in SEP-OCT, or maybe in the winter for a longer period - like maybe 3-4 weekes.

Anyways, thanks for the idea! And I am glad it worked wonders with BP for you! I do not think of this experiment as a bad one.

Currently I am hoping cayenne would help, thinking to finally start sitting in zazen (but this thinking is almost a hobby bu now). :) Maybe get a cassette with 36 cog and finally start riding all Sierra Azul instead of just Kennedy, loose more weight and give a juice fight with BP another try...

#406 ·
"Cayenne rebuilds the blood and detoxifies it too. It makes the blood flow smoother as it is a rubefacient medicinal spice, meaning it removes toxins from the blood like arterial plaque. It also strengthens the heart by giving it much needed nutrition."

fraud alert!

#408 ·
BS about the cayenne pepper. Just eat lots of hot chiles in general— habañeros, serranos, piquin, naga jolokia, etc. Lately I’m up to 4 habañeros per day, yes, raw. Boosts the immune system… since, well, it sort of pegs your heartrate and adrenaline from the intense side effects of the heat. I just don’t feel the same without the hot chile peppers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.